Mark Cuban: Mavs Not Discussing Trade Involving Shawn Marion

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:40 am

'No Chance' Of Shawn Marion Trade Before Deadline

If the Mavericks are able to sign Deron Williams and Dwight Howard this summer, they will need to move the contract of Shawn Marion.

But sources insist they are not shopping Marion and will wait for the summer to begin making serious moves for Williams and Howard.

One source says there is "no chance" Marion is traded before the deadline.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page ... ds-tallest
Last edited by Kobe8Fan on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kobe8Fan

Re: 'No Chance' Of Shawn Marion Trade Before Deadline

Postby dj vitus on Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:06 pm

I still don't see how they can get both Howard and Williams ($17.4M each under the new CBA) unless they gut their entire roster minus Dirk.

You're talking about declining Odom's and Wright's options, trading away Marion, Haywood, Carter, and Beaubois for draft picks (how many teams can simply absorb their contracts?), and letting Terry, Kidd (retire?), Cardinal, and West walk for nothing, or re-sign for vet minimum. That's a lot of risk and in one off-season. Has happened before, though, so I guess we'll see...
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:16 pm

dj vitus wrote:I still don't see how they can get both Howard and Williams ($17.4M each under the new CBA) unless they gut their entire roster minus Dirk.

You're talking about declining Odom's and Wright's options, trading away Marion, Haywood, Carter, and Beaubois for draft picks (how many teams can simply absorb their contracts?), and letting Terry, Kidd (retire?), Cardinal, and West walk for nothing, or re-sign for vet minimum. That's a lot of risk and in one off-season. Has happened before, though, so I guess we'll see...

Odom's contract can be bought out for a relatively small amount, Wright's money is fully unguaranteed and Carter's money isn't fully guaranteed. Carter is only owed $4m/2yrs if the Mavs waive him. Even then for around $6.3m/2yrs, there's a good chance another team would likely be willing to take him on as a bench piece. Beaubois isn't owed very much and he's set to become a RFA a year later in 2014, someone would be willing to pick him up. As for Marion and Haywood, both guys have quite a bit of trade value IMO. Marion is still playing at a high level and Haywood as a big will always have value in today's NBA. If by some chance Dallas isn't able to move one of them however, they still have their amnesty provision.

It's also worth noting that if Deron and Dwight do decide to team up in Dallas, both New Jersey and Orlando may be interested in doing S&Ts instead of letting their guys walk for nothing. In those instances, guys like Beaubois, Carter, Marion and Haywood could be involved.
Last edited by bruddahmanmatt on Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby thkthebest on Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:19 pm

I don't have the numbers with me, but from what I read around, they just have to

1. Decline Odom's option (happening regardless)
2. Amnesty Haywood/Marion (simple)
3. Trade Haywood/Marion (hard)

I could be wrong, but they really just need to find a way to trade Haywood or Marion. Then everything else will fall in place.
My signature
thkthebest

Postby dj vitus on Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:43 pm

bruddahmanmatt wrote:
dj vitus wrote:I still don't see how they can get both Howard and Williams ($17.4M each under the new CBA) unless they gut their entire roster minus Dirk.

Odom's contract can be bought out for a relatively small amount, Wright's money is fully unguaranteed and Carter's money isn't fully guaranteed. Carter is only owed $4m/2yrs if the Mavs waive him. Even then for around $6.3m/2yrs, there's a good chance another team would likely be willing to take him on as a bench piece. Beaubois isn't owed very much and he's set to become a RFA a year later in 2014, someone would be willing to pick him up. As for Marion and Haywood, both guys have quite a bit of trade value IMO. Marion is still playing at a high level and Haywood as a big will always have value in today's NBA. If by some chance Dallas isn't able to move one of them however, they still have their amnesty provision.

It's also worth noting that if Deron and Dwight do decide to team up in Dallas, both New Jersey and Orlando may be interested in doing S&Ts instead of letting their guys walk for nothing. In those instances, guys like Beaubois, Carter, Marion and Haywood could be involved.

The only problem is Haywood's contract since it runs up to almost $10M by 2015. Very long and expensive for a guy who only gives 6 points and 7 boards.

But you're right; if they amnesty him, then they have a chance.

Which is funny cause I thought the new CBA was about preventing all-star teams from forming, yet they threw in the amnesty which makes it so much easier. :man10:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby abeer3 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:21 am

the mavs basically have room for one while keeping dirk, haywood, marion, carter, and beaubois. two would be tricky, but not impossible (as has been outlined by others). i think they're secretly hoping for howard to be traded anywhere but nj, making them the clear frontrunner for dwill without having to gut their team completely.
abeer3

Shawn Marion Would Refuse To Report If Traded To Bad Team

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:53 pm

Shawn Marion Would Refuse To Report If Traded To Bad Team

By Brad Townsend / Reporter
btownsend@dallasnews.com
1:46 pm on February 8, 2013

The Feb. 21 NBA trade deadline is approaching. Shawn Marion doesn’t know if his name will be wafting in trade winds, but he says this much is for certain:

“The thing is, right now, you come into a position like I am, this is my 14th season,” Marion, 34, said after practice Friday. “If I’m going to get traded, they’re going to tell me what’s going on and where I’m going.

“Because if I’m going to a (crummy) situation, I’m not going. It’s just that simple.”

Marion does not have the ability, by contract, to veto trades, but he does have a 15-percent trade-kicker clause. That means any team that acquires Marion would have to pay the remainder of his $8.4 million 2012-13 salary, plus 15-percent of his salary.

“At this time, I’m too old to be trying to go through a (bad situation). . . and not have a chance to do anything,” Marion said. “I’m at a point where I want to be playing for something right now.”

Marion probably doesn’t have to worry about going to a mediocre team. His versatility and production would seemingly make him attractive addition to a contending team, but there is no reason to believe a rebuilding, non-contending team would want to take on a 34-year-old who after this season has one year left on his contract, at $9.3 million.

One could argue that the Mavericks aren’t a great situation right now. They are 21-28 and are an extreme longshot to make the playoffs. Marion does, however, have luxurious home here and a legacy, having been a key contributor to Dallas’ 2011 NBA championship.

Would Marion be open to going to a team that has a chance to contend for a title?

“That’s the only way I’m going, yeah,” Marion said. “That’s it. That’s the only possibility that could come out of that. Other than that, it ain’t happening.”

So what would he do if a crummy team acquires him, retire?

“Maybe,” he said, laughing. “Anything is possible.”

http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/02/ ... -him.html/
Kobe8Fan

Re: Shawn Marion Would Refuse To Report If Traded To Bad Team

Postby Weezy on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:12 pm

The Mavs don't already qualify as a bad team? :man10:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Balance&Options24 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:20 pm

I remember Vlade Divac was not going to report to Charlotte, almost cost us Kobe Bryant.
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:55 pm

These guys have no business trying sabotage a trade. They should be blacklisted if they don't report.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby 432J on Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:49 am

Weezy wrote:The Mavs don't already qualify as a bad team? :man10:

my thoughts exactly
:man10:
432J

Postby keyindabox on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:57 pm

Hey Shawn Marion, you are no longer "The Matrix." Know your role, and shut your mouth!
"Like I say to people all the time, I don’t care what Brooklyn do, I don’t care if they have a better record than we do this year, we still got “New York” on our chest. We’re still New York’s team, regardless of what Brooklyn do." - Ray Felton
BLACK MAMBA
keyindabox
Clublakers Rep: Knicks

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:38 pm

Mark Cuban: Mavericks Not Discussing Trade Involving Shawn Marion

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

Mark Cuban has been open about the Mavericks aggressively exploring opportunities to trade the No. 13 overall pick.

Cuban is adamant, however, that the rumors about the Mavs being willing to part with the pick for minimal return if a team takes Shawn Marion’s $9.32 million salary off their hands are inaccurate. Cuban insists that the Mavs have not had any talks with teams about trading Marion. \

“Not a single discussion,” Cuban said via email to ESPNDallas.com.

At the moment, the Mavs have $41.81 million worth of commitments and cap holds that would count against next season’s cap, which is expected to be set at $58.5 million. That number could increase by six figures if they opt to keep Brandan Wright’s Early Bird rights and/or the nonguaranteed contracts of Bernard James and Josh Akognon.

The Mavs need to make some cuts to have enough cap space to offer Dwight Howard a max contract, which would have a first-year salary of $20.51 million. That’s why they are shopping the lottery pick that comes with a cap hold of $1.66 million.

Trading Marion into another team’s cap space would create enough wiggle room for the Mavs to sign a max player (Howard or Chris Paul) and likely another starter. However, Cuban has repeatedly referenced the 35-year-old Marion’s value to the Mavs and expressed interest in re-signing the only player other than Dirk Nowitzki who remains on the roster from the 2011 title team.

Something else worth considering with the Marion rumors: The Mavs probably wouldn’t do themselves any favors in their pursuit of Howard if they dealt Marion to a team he considers undesirable. Agent Dan Fegan represents both Howard and Marion.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/maverick ... ing-marion
Kobe8Fan

Re: Mark Cuban: Mavs Not Discussing Trade Involving Shawn Marion

Postby JSM on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:26 pm

Steve Kyler ‏@stevekylerNBA 1h

Mavs reportedly have 2 deals they can do with Shawn Marion and the #13 - one is with Cleveland and one with new Orleans.. neither seem close
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: Mark Cuban: Mavs Not Discussing Trade Involving Shawn Marion

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:46 pm

Hopefully very soon the league will be rid of that butt ugly jump shot. Nothing against him.... just that hideous shot :disagree:
LTLakerFan

Return to NBA Discussion