K-Mart and Maggette get into a fight

K-Mart and Maggette get into a fight

Postby JSM on Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:24 pm

Another fight, this one happened in the third quarter of the Nets and Clipps game
Yahoo Sports: A blowout victory for the New Jersey Nets was marred by a blowup between Kenyon Martin and Corey Maggette.

Jason Kidd had his second straight 30-plus point game and Nets held the Los Angeles Clippers to a season-low 28 first-half points in a 92-75 win Tuesday night. Martin and Maggette were ejected after exchanging punches in the third quarter, and both face automatic suspensions.

The players fought with 7:08 left in the third quarter after Martin committed a hard foul on Maggette on a drive to the basket. Maggette shoved Martin to the court, and Martin got up and went after Maggette.

No one else was involved in the fracas.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:26 pm

something I don't understand, in the Pacers and Hornets fight, the only punishment the guys got was a $10k fine, but they say this fight will result in suspensions. I don't understand why. I saw it on NBA fastbreak, and still can't see why they are getting suspended. If anyone knows why, please help me clarify this.
JSM

Postby KingsFan on Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:34 pm

the reason that the New Orleans - Indiana fight did not warrent suspensions is becuase there was "supposedly" no punches thrown, and that they just got into a verbal confrintation.
but since K-mart and Corey exchanged fists...thats an automatic suspension.
KingsFan

Postby JSM on Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:39 pm

KingsFan wrote:the reason that the New Orleans - Indiana fight did not warrent suspensions is becuase there was "supposedly" no punches thrown, and that they just got into a verbal confrintation.

I don't know what angle they had when reviewing that fight, but it was a lot more than a verbal confrontation, anyone could gather that much by simply reading the guys' post game comments about each other. And I would be more than willing to bet there was at least 1 fist thrown.
JSM

Postby SWOL on Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:41 pm

NBA FIGHTS SUCK....THEY SHOULD SUSPEND THEN FOR NOT HITTING EACH OTHER, WITH THESE WEAK A$$ PUSHING MATCHES

THEY SHOULD SUSPENED THEM FOR NOT PUTTING ON A QUALITY FIGHT
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:57 pm

I didn't see it, but heard about it when it broke out... Can anyone get some footage of it?
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby BDG on Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:09 pm

Lakers Dynasty 2000 wrote:I didn't see it, but heard about it when it broke out... Can anyone get some footage of it?
I'm on it-- I'll get the ESPN News replay just like I did for the Harrington-Lynch fight.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby JSM on Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:11 pm

sounds good
JSM

Postby BDG on Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:17 pm

I just got it on tape-- should be up in an hour or so...
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby BDG on Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:34 pm

It's weird-- Magette got fouled by Kenyon and it looked like he tried to prevent Magette from falling. Then Magette throws K-Mart onto the floor out of nowhere and stares him down.

Martin gets back up and punches Magette straight in the throat and then they exchange punches until it's broken up.

It wasn't a bad fight. You'll see in a bit... I'll post the link here and in the Theater section.

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:38 pm

Awesome B.D.G., you are the man...
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby BDG on Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:39 pm

Thanks man, it'll be up in bout 15 mins

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:41 pm

BryantDunkGiant wrote:Thanks man, it'll be up in bout 15 mins

Sweet, I can't wait to see this fight :man13:

By the way, check the theater forum, I reposted two of my vids that we're barley (time wise) on a server when they were released!
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby BDG on Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:48 pm

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:10 pm

Thanks B.D.G...
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby BDG on Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:14 pm

You're welcome, it was a good one.

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Bulls Fan on Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:17 pm

dumbass wanna be thugs in the NBA
The ONLY Bulls Fan
Bulls Fan
Clublakers Rep: Bulls

Postby JSM on Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:19 pm

here is what was said after the game

Yahoo Sports: "I didn't push him, I hope he understands that,'' Maggette said. "I know Kenyon is a hothead sometimes, he takes things the wrong way. Like I said, I'll let the league handle it and go on with it.''

Maggette said he was surprised when Martin grabbed him by the throat. He wasn't sure whether he hit Martin with a punch or was hit by him.

Maggette sent a ball boy down to the Nets locker room while the game was in progress and offered to apologize. Martin turned down the offer.

"I know things happen and I think I am a bigger man to go talk to him and try to apologize about the situation, but I guess he declined so I am going to move on,'' Maggette said.

Nets coach Byron Scott felt Maggette overreacted.

Clippers Mike Dunleavy thought Martin might have tripped over his own feet instead of being pushed. He also wasn't surprised by the timing or type of foul.
JSM

Postby BDG on Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:20 pm

They're not wannabe thugs-- fights happen everyday with everybody. Add the factor that basketball is a physical sport and you'll get a fight every once in a while.

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Roscoe on Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:35 pm

Damn if you listen closely you can hear the impact of Maggette's punches. Crazy ish... :man4:

"Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere." - Martin Luther King Jr.
Roscoe
ClubLakers O.G.

Postby lakerzrule on Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:52 pm

BryantDunkGiant wrote:It's weird-- Magette got fouled by Kenyon and it looked like he tried to prevent Magette from falling.

That's possible, and if that's the case, Corey shouldn't have pushed him. I still think it was a hard foul, and K-Mart over-reacted, but I agree with you, they're not thugs. Even Shaq threw a punch at Brad Miller of the Chicago Bulls when he was being abused under the basket. Luckily for him it didn't connect! :boxing1:
lakerzrule

Postby SWOL on Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:39 am

:bow: TO K-MART, ACTUALLY A GOOD NBA FIGHT, K-MART CAME OUT SWINGING, GOOD STUFF

MAGGETTE GOT HIS A$$ WHOOP'D
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby NBN on Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:19 pm

man, thankx SOO MUCH for the vid.
To BryantDunkGiant.
bball
NBN

Postby JSM on Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:21 pm

here is the punishment handed out for the scuffle
Sportsline: Kenyon Martin and Corey Maggette were suspended for two games without pay by the NBA on Wednesday, a day after they were ejected from a game for fighting Tuesday night.
JSM

Postby BDG on Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:44 pm

You're welcome-- that's a new one: Image

BDG
Retired Admin

Next

Return to NBA Discussion