Mavs hire Jim O'Brien for coaching staff

Mavs hire Jim O'Brien for coaching staff

Postby Basketball Fan on Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:34 pm

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/i ... hing-staff

Sources: Mavs add Jim O'Brien

Former Indiana Pacers coach Jim O'Brien has agreed to join the Dallas Mavericks' coaching staff as Rick Carlisle's top assistant, according to sources close to the situation.

More on the Mavericks

News, notes and analysis of the Mavericks from ESPNDallas.com's Jeff Caplan, Tim MacMahon and our team.
Blog » ESPN Dallas »

O'Brien, who replaced Carlisle as the Pacers' coach in the summer of 2007, emerged last week as Dallas' top candidate to replace Terry Stotts, who was hired away by the Portland Trail Blazers as their new head coach.

When Stotts left, after Dwane Casey was hired by the Toronto Raptors as their new coach in the 2011 offseason, Carlise was determined to hire an assistant with head-coaching experience.

Sources said that O'Brien received a multiyear deal, with Carlisle about to enter the first season of a new four-year extension.

O'Brien was fired by the Pacers halfway through the 2010-11 campaign after three non-playoff seasons in Indy. He previously coached the Boston Celtics (reaching the Eastern Conference finals in 2002) and the Philadelphia 76ers (for one season in 2004-05).
Ma
Basketball Fan

Re: Mavs hire Jim O'Brien for coaching staff

Postby therealdeal on Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:26 pm

Wait so did I read this right? O'Brien replaced Carlisle and now he's going to go be Carlisle's assistant? Hm. Seems a little odd.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Basketball Fan on Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:03 pm

Actually Isiah replaced Carlisle at Indy but I guess they want to forget that as much as we do then it was O'Brien
Basketball Fan

Postby KB24 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:03 am

Mavs are the dust bin for flamed out pacers coaches.

I would be pissed if I was Nowitzki knowing the window has closed and its riding in the sunset.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Return to NBA Discussion