Mavs waive Delonte West

Re: Mavs suspend Delonte West again

Postby The Rock on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:03 pm

He has the same agent as Dwight. Get it done Mitch :jam2:

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/8550354/suspended-delonte-west-return-dallas-mavericks-source-said

DALLAS -- Suspended guard Delonte West will not return to the Dallas Mavericks, a source said.

The team is in the process of negotiating terms of West's departure with his agent, Dan Fegan, after the fiery guard was suspended Thursday for conduct detrimental to the team. It was the second time the team suspended West in two weeks, although the first suspension lasted only 21 hours, ending after West met with coach Rick Carlisle and president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson.

The source said both suspensions stemmed from frequent behavioral missteps by West, an eight-year veteran who was a valuable role player for the Mavs last season, averaging 9.6 points and 3.2 assists while playing tenacious defense at both guard spots.

When reached by ESPNDallas.com on Thursday morning, West said he was being blamed for an argument between teammates after the Mavs' 88-76 exhibition loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder on Wednesday night in Wichita, Kan. He said he got a text Thursday morning telling him not to come to the American Airlines Center for practice.

"There was an argument between two teammates in the locker room last night that didn't involve me," said West, who had two points, one assist and three turnovers in 21 minutes against the Thunder. "Somehow I'm being blamed for it. I had nothing to do with it. I don't know what's going on."

Mavs management was concerned about West's influence on the young players on the roster, the source said. There was a strong feeling that West could not contain his frustration over being signed to a one-year, veteran-minimum contract for the second consecutive season and being part of a logjam among reserve guards.

The options the team and Fegan are discussing include giving West a buyout, waiving him or reaching a mutual decision to part ways, in which West would be free to sign with another team but would not be paid by the Mavs.

The Mavs could also continue West's suspension without pay, but they would like to have an open roster spot after claiming center Eddy Curry off waivers and agreeing to non-guaranteed deals with swingman Chris Douglas-Roberts and center/forward Melvin Ely on Thursday.

West indicated on Twitter earlier Thursday that he didn't expect to return to Dallas.

"If I'm not what u lookin 4 ....That's fine...just dont kick me in my [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] on the way out the door....I didn't do anything to deserve that..." West tweeted, followed two minutes later by: "I love the city of Dallas..I love playin in the NBA...no I'm not off my meds...no I ain't on no bipolar trip...this real people lives....And it just ain't right..imma leave it at that..no ill will towards no one...I'm just sittin here across from the arena wit tear in my eyes."

Carlisle addressed his team briefly about West's suspension before Thursday's practice but declined to discuss it with the media, referring to a statement the team released saying it would have no further comment on the issue.

"We're losing a competitor," said Vince Carter, who planned to call his friend. "That's just plain and simple. He's a competitor. We all know that. You just hate to see everybody going through their differences, because that's one guy you can rely on."

Carlisle had suspended West for conduct detrimental to the team Oct. 15 after a locker-room outburst. The Mavericks reinstated West less than 24 hours later after he met with Carlisle and Nelson.

The team would not elaborate on the outburst at that time.

"There was an outstanding issue, and we needed to talk about it," Carlisle said after the initial suspension. "He needed to refocus, and he's in the process of doing that. It's going to be work. It's going to be daily work for him to do that, and I've got to help him and our organization is going to help him, too. It's not that big a deal."

West has had run-ins with the law in the past and revealed in 2009 that he suffers from bipolar disorder. He was suspended for the first 10 games of the 2010-11 season after pleading guilty to weapons charges in Maryland. Authorities say he was carrying three loaded guns and a knife when he was stopped for speeding on a three-wheel motorcycle in 2009.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:35 pm

.... This dude is insane...

But maybe World Peace can help him out. I'm definitely in on him. If the Lakers could find a way to make room for him (just please waive some people...) he should get a call for sure. He's got plenty of talent and he'd do a better job for our 2nd unit than anyone else out there right now.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:08 am

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/20709551/still-no-resolution-with-delonte-west-in-dallas
After reports that the Dallas Mavericks would be releasing Delonte West to make room on the 15-man roster for newly acquired Eddy Curry, Mark Cuban is now saying there hasn't been a decision made on West's future with the organization.

West has been suspended twice this preseason for conduct detrimental to the team. This was allegedly stemming from an incident in the locker room, in which West semi-cryptically took to Twitter to voice his frustrations. And with the Curry being claimed off waivers despite the Mavs already having 15 players under contract, it was speculated that West would be the odd man out.

Cuban says not so fast (via AP):

Cuban said he will make the final call on whether West could return to the Mavericks after he was suspended indefinitely Thursday for conduct detrimental to the team.

''The best way to sum it up is no decisions have been made one way or the other,'' Cuban said.

''There's been no decision to waive him or anything like that,'' Cuban said. ''It could go either way. I haven't made any decisions.''

At this point, something has to happen with the roster. Mavericks have 16 players with Curry and there are three players who would be the most likely candidates to leave. West, Brandan Wright, and Bernard James have contracts worth less than $1 million dollars. James' deal runs through 2015 but is only fully guaranteed this season.

Wright and West both have just this season on their contracts. Considering the Mavericks just claimed Curry because of a lack of depth inside, it's unlikely they'd turn around and get rid of Wright and James because of a numbers game. This makes West seemingly the odd man out.

Technically, they could just get rid of Curry like he never signed, but a lot of that decision probably would be based on the severity of Chris Kaman's injury. Kaman strained his Achilles, presumably prompting the Mavericks to find a replacement big man for the short term. If Kaman is healthy enough to play this coming week, the Mavericks could keep West and pretend this whole thing never happened.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby v1n5anity on Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:36 pm

I'm know highlights don't mean much, but you can really see the different dimension West could bring to our bench. He can shoot off the dribble, he can spot up, he can finish on the break, he can dunk, he's a decent enough playmaker, and he plays D. He'd be an absolute gem and our best bench player if we somehow acquired him.
v1n5anity

Postby nthydro on Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:18 pm

V1n5anity wrote:

I'm know highlights don't mean much, but you can really see the different dimension West could bring to our bench. He can shoot off the dribble, he can spot up, he can finish on the break, he can dunk, he's a decent enough playmaker, and he plays D. He'd be an absolute gem and our best bench player if we somehow acquired him.

If we signed him I wouldn't be surprised if he was our best bench player. Although at this point that's not really saying much. Just the fact that he takes minutes away from Blake is already a big plus. West is a moron off the court no doubt but on the court he'll be a big lift for our bench.
nthydro

Postby revgen on Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:32 pm

therealdeal wrote:.... This dude is insane...

But maybe World Peace's therapist can help him out. I'm definitely in on him. If the Lakers could find a way to make room for him (just please waive some people...) he should get a call for sure. He's got plenty of talent and he'd do a better job for our 2nd unit than anyone else out there right now.

Fixed. No way should Metta being doing the help sessions. :man10:
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby ben_ready on Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:30 pm

gcclaker wrote:West has conduct issues. Sure he is a heady ballplayer but I am not sure if Bryant and the core could keep him in line.

That's that choir boy stuff smh yell™
great "scott"! you're too "green", and not "worthy" enough to taste the "magic" "kareem"(cream)/You flew the "coop" "west" so don't fuss just drive the "buss"(bus),while i eat my "chick" n' "stu"(chicken stew) in the aisle,"back 2 back" with "riles" my favorite laker squad
ben_ready

Postby ben_ready on Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:40 pm

nthydro wrote:
V1n5anity wrote:

If we signed him I wouldn't be surprised if he was our best bench player. Although at this point that's not really saying much. Just the fact that he takes minutes away from Blake is already a big plus. West is a moron off the court no doubt but on the court he'll be a big lift for our bench.

What makes him a moron? Cause he doesn't act like you? Foh with that dude has a legit issue that many struggle with, get off your high horse yell™
great "scott"! you're too "green", and not "worthy" enough to taste the "magic" "kareem"(cream)/You flew the "coop" "west" so don't fuss just drive the "buss"(bus),while i eat my "chick" n' "stu"(chicken stew) in the aisle,"back 2 back" with "riles" my favorite laker squad
ben_ready

Postby Kou on Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:47 am

If it means no Blake/Duhon sounds good to me.
NBA 2k9 team:

Fisher/Rose/Watson
Bryant/Wells
Lee/Ariza/Walton
Gasol/Yi
Bynum/Zo
Kou

Postby CornMonkey on Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:54 pm

West just got waived.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/i ... -mavericks
CornMonkey

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:01 pm

Yep. It'll be interesting to see who goes after him. Who needs a guard as badly as the Lakers right now?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:04 pm

therealdeal wrote:Yep. It'll be interesting to see who goes after him. Who needs a guard as badly as the Lakers right now?

Cleveland/Washington.....

Cleveland won't because of the gun incident

Washington won't because of the gun incident

Lakers will because we are coming out guns blazing this year.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:07 pm

:stunoice:

I think Washington would take a look at him. We should offer up Blake/Duhon RIGHT NOW for a 2nd round pick. Take them out of the market.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:15 pm

Hope we can somehow land West. He'd be a huge addition and upgrade over Blake and Duhon.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby JSM on Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:25 pm

I could see Chicago making a play for him. They were interested in him before he went to Dallas and Thibs is the type of no nonsense coach he needs.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:44 am

Doc Brown wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Yep. It'll be interesting to see who goes after him. Who needs a guard as badly as the Lakers right now?

Cleveland/Washington.....

Cleveland won't because of the gun incident

Washington won't because of the gun incident

Lakers will because we are coming out guns blazing this year.

:man10: that's one way to look it
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Re: Mavs waive Delonte West

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:23 pm

Morris/Duhon to Cleveland for a 2nd round.

Sign West.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby XXIV on Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:56 pm

^ Perfect situation.
XXIV

Postby davriver290 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:54 pm

If we do get West, we have to unload Blake, or both him and Duhon.
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:04 pm

Former Dallas Mavericks guard Delonte West wants a new job. And he's posted a résumé of sorts on Twitter in hopes of getting one.

West, who was suspended indefinitely and then waived by Dallas earlier this week, used Twitter on Wednesday to list his experience and abilities. He noted that he would play for a non-guaranteed, league-minimum deal because, as he tweeted, "by the time I get there u see what I'm about&what I bring everyday."

West, clearly having fun with his job search, tweeted that he's not "comin to yr team riddin a motorcycle," a reference to the reason he was suspended for the first 10 games of the 2010-11 season. West was arrested in September 2009 for carrying three loaded guns and a knife on his motorcycle when he was stopped for speeding. He pleaded guilty to weapons charges in July 2010 and was sentenced to eight months of electronic monitoring, two years of unsupervised probation, 40 hours of community service and psychological counseling.

West, 29, was waived Monday by the Mavericks because they were concerned he wasn't a good influence on the younger players on the roster, sources told ESPNDallas.com's Tim MacMahon. The roster move allowed Dallas to make room for center Eddy Curry.

West signed a one-year deal with Dallas during the summer for the veteran's minimum ($1.2 million) after averaging 9.6 points and 3.2 assists as a role player last season. He also provided solid defense and gave the club some good energy playing either guard spot.

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said it was "in the best interest of the organization" to waive West and that it was based on numerous factors. Cuban did not want to get into specifics.

"I like Delonte a lot," he said prior to Tuesday's season-opening win against the Los Angeles Lakers. "It was a difficult decision and we'll leave it at that.

"You always have to remember, the culture of the organization comes first. If you lose the culture and it goes in the wrong direction, then you've lost your team. We've had years like that where we've lost certain guys or I wasn't diligent on certain guys and it's hurt the team in a big way."

West, who has bipolar disorder, was suspended one game Oct. 16; according to sources, the punishment was related to an outburst in the locker room following a preseason win. He was suspended a second time Oct. 25 for what the Mavericks called "conduct detrimental to the team."

West, though, still wants to play basketball, if his Twitter pleas are any indication. He says he's a "High Q player/person ..low cost...great influence on young P," and added, "Only ask for communication about when checks come up missin or short...other than that...let's win some games and have fun while we doin it!"

West admits in a later tweet that this is "my resamay."

"Coach&?, let's go&take me a day or two to figure offense and a few mins to figure out defense...!!"

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/i ... w-nba-team
dwighthowardsdad

Postby XXIV on Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:38 pm

Please get West so we don't have to watch Blake dribble the ball in the same spot for 20 seconds, and then passing a wide open shot for a horrible one.
XXIV

Postby v1n5anity on Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:40 pm

It's been over 48 hours right? Has West cleared waivers?
v1n5anity

Previous

Return to NBA Discussion