Mayo and Bucks agree to a 3 year, $24m deal

Mayo and Bucks agree to a 3 year, $24m deal

Postby Kobe8Fan on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:27 pm

O.J. Mayo Could Be On Pistons' Wish List In Offseason

By David Mayo | dmayo@mlive.com
on March 08, 2013 at 1:45 PM, updated March 08, 2013 at 1:46 PM

O.J. Mayo is one of the most attractive unrestricted free agents on the market at shooting guard this summer and the Detroit Pistons have money to spend. So where would Mayo rank on your Pistons' wish list?

The Mavericks guard ranks 15th in the league in 3-point percentage at a career-best 42 percent, a bit off an even hotter early-season pace. But if Mayo can shoot 40 percent on 3-pointers, he helps a team. He's at an age when he might be coming into his own and he certainly isn't going to exercise his $4.2 million player option this year.

Teams are going to be hot on Mayo's tail when free agency opens. Should the Pistons be one of them?

I'll give a two-pronged answer. One, Mayo is near the top of the wish list because the Pistons have need for his particular skill and he can provide some insurance if Jose Calderon doesn't re-sign. Two, I'm not breaking the bank for Mayo because there are other ways to address the Pistons' various needs. If he doesn't want to talk, then call Kevin Martin's agent next. Or a rival general manager about a trade. Or a college coach whose guard you might draft.

Mayo is the leading scorer on a substandard team that needs a youth infusion, played half the season without Dirk Nowitzki and has suffered in the rugged Western Conference. The Mavs might be inclined to keep Mayo because of his scoring punch and youth but it will cost them.

Getting Mayo for a low-eight-figure salary will prove a worthwhile expenditure. He could give the Pistons a reliable scoring presence at shooting guard and allow Brandon Knight to shift back to the point if Calderon leaves. Mayo also could give the Pistons greater flexibility in deciding how to end Rodney Stuckey's time with them. He's no maximum contract guy but he's certainly worth a serious bid.

It’s hard to know exactly how much the Pistons value Mayo but there’s no doubt he should be high on their list. They need to figure out what they want to do with Jose Calderon and Brandon Knight first.

But when it comes to free agents, he should be on their radar. Mayo is young (25) but has five years of experience. He’s a decent scorer with a 15.6 average per game and he’ll give you a couple of rebounds and assists per game.

The one area the Pistons really need to upgrade next season is 3-point shooting. Although he averages less than two per game, Mayo shoots a high percentage and his production obviously would increase with more opportunities.

He's certainly worth a hard look.

READER REACTION

Where does O.J. Mayo rank on your Detroit Pistons free-agent wish list?

O.J. Mayo Could Be On Pistons' Wish List In Offseason
Last edited by Kobe8Fan on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kobe8Fan

Re: O.J. Mayo Could Be On Pistons' Wish List In Offseason

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:51 am

I'd like OJ on this team.

He's a bit of a chucker, but the dude finds a shot. We could always use some more of that off our bench.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:12 pm

he really isn't a chucker, imo. i think he's still trying to be a bigger star than he can be, but he's slowly figuring out his limitations.

that said, i'm not sure how anyone can justify going over 10 per for him. at very best, he's good enough to be the third best player on a winning team. at worst, he's a fifth starter/sixth man. that salary band should start around 7 per and end around 10 or 11. but with all these teams having cleared cap space for a lackluster FA market, i suppose i could see it happening. hell, monta ellis and ben gordon got six years, 60 million.
abeer3

Postby juninho on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:19 am

ben gordon 2.0, its 2009 all over for pistons.
juninho

Postby abeer3 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:04 am

mayo's better than gordon was, if only because he can defend his position and handle the ball a bit. and this isn't hindsight bias--i thought gordon was way overrated when he signed that deal in the first place.

i think you look at what afflalo got in denver and have to assume mayo's worth at least that.
abeer3

Postby therealdeal on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:18 am

Mayo's not nearly the defender that Afflalo is though. And while Mayo can create a bit better, he's also smaller and without looking at the numbers I'd think they're similar in point production.

I would pin Mayo at 5-6 million. But we'll see. Like you said, the market isn't quite stunning so he'll likely get 7-8 million.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:08 pm

i think afflalo's d is overrated, and mayo's offensive statistics are better across the board in a similar role on a better team.
abeer3

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:28 pm

I have always like Mayo.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

O.J. Mayo Would Like To Return To Mavericks

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:58 pm

O.J. Mayo Would Like To Return To Mavericks

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

Shooting guard O.J. Mayo, the subject of coach Rick Carlisle’s public wrath after Monday’s loss to the Memphis Grizzlies, wants to return to Dallas next season.

“Yeah, I’d like to be back here,” Mayo told reporters after Wednesday’s final shootaround of the season.

Mayo, however, said he has yet to consider whether he will exercise the player option for the second season in the contract he signed with the Mavericks last season. Mayo can opt to make a $4.2 million salary from the Mavs next season, or he can decide to test the free agency market for the second consecutive summer, perhaps signing a long-term deal with Dallas.

“I haven’t really sat down and talked to Cuban about it or my agent,” said Mayo, who has averaged 15.4 points and 4.4 assists while playing a team-high 35.6 minutes per game this season. “I think I’ll probably take a week or so off after this season and get together and meet.”

Midway through the season, it appeared that it’d be an easy decision for Mayo to test the market again. He averaged 17.9 points per game while shooting career-best percentages before the All-Star break.

But Mayo’s production has dipped drastically in the second half of the season. He’s averaging only 9.0 points per game on 38.9 percent shooting in eight April games.

Carlisle, who has made Mayo somewhat of a pet project since last summer, sounded like a disappointed parent when he called out Mayo for failing to compete in Monday’s loss. Carlisle called a timeout midway through the fourth quarter specifically to bench Mayo, who had two points and four turnovers in the loss.

Mayo claimed Wednesday that he hadn’t heard about Carlisle’s postgame criticism, which dominated the media discussion about the Mavs over the last 36 hours.

"Well, I don’t blame him," Mayo said when informed of Carlisle’s comments.

Carlisle kept his comments about Mayo brief after the final shootaround of the season: "He's ready to go. He's ready to go."

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/maverick ... -back-here
Kobe8Fan

O.J. Mayo To Opt Out Of Contract With Mavericks

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:01 pm

O.J. Mayo To Opt Out Of Contract With Mavericks

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

DALLAS -- Dallas Mavericks shooting guard O.J. Mayo said he would decline the player option for the second season of his contract, deciding to become a free agent for the second consecutive summer.

Mayo, who could have returned to Dallas for $4.2 million, said he hopes to work out a long-term deal with the Mavs.

"Getting something long term, locking something in is what I think is best for me," Mayo said Thursday after his exit interview with coach Rick Carlisle and president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson.

Mayo, 25, averaged 15.3 points, 4.4 assists and 3.5 rebounds while playing a team-high 35.5 minutes per game. His production dipped significantly after the All-Star break, when star forward Dirk Nowitzki started to return to form after missing the first 27 games while recovering from arthroscopic knee surgery.

Mayo, a five-year veteran and former No. 3 overall pick, has acknowledged being disappointed that a better market didn't develop for him last summer. He said he has yet to seriously consider other teams that might be a fit for him.

"I'm sure new teams have popped up on the list," Mayo said. "I need to talk to my agent [Rob Pelinka] and see what we can work out."

Carlisle said he believes Mayo made major strides as an all-around player this season and could be a foundation piece for the Mavs.

"But like everything else in this world, this is probably going to come down to money," Carlisle said. "I don't know where all that stuff stands. He had a very good year for us, so there's going to be a lot of teams interested in him."

Carlisle harshly criticized Mayo after Monday's loss to the Memphis Grizzlies, saying Mayo "failed to compete" during a two-point, four-turnover outing against his former team. However, Carlisle made it clear Thursday that his positive feelings for Mayo have not changed.

"I love O.J. as a kid, as a person," Carlisle said. "I spent more time with him this year than probably any other player I've ever had. With him, I'm a little like a Little League dad. I want him to do well so badly that sometimes it gets the better of me. But that's OK, because if you care that much, it's never a bad thing."

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/i ... t-contract

Come home and sign with the Lakers, O.J.
Kobe8Fan

Re: O.J. Mayo To Opt Out Of Contract With Mavericks

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:16 am

He'd be a great fit on our team right behind Kobe. He's big, athletic, shoots the 3-ball at a high rate, can create his own shot, etc. However, I believe he wants to be a starter in this league. That's not going to happen while Kobe is here. Even if Kobe is injured, Mayo's minutes will get reduced the minutes comes back and starts to work himself back into a rhythm.

Secondly, we don't have the money. He declined 4.2 million and wants a long-term deal. We're not investing a 4-5 year worth 4.5-5 million dollars; that's just a guess of what I think he's looking for; nevertheless, we can't afford that. I'd love to have him, though. He'd be a heck of an upgrade over Meeks.
dwighthowardsdad

Re: O.J. Mayo Opts For Free Agency

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:23 pm

O.J. Mayo Opts For Free Agency

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS 1h

As expected, the Mavs' O.J. Mayo will not exercise his player option and will be an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

https://twitter.com/KBergCBS/status/350693352309669889

Come back home to Cali and sign with the Lakers, O.J.
Kobe8Fan

Postby DarthRekal on Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:28 pm

hold the mayo?

something about LA and OJ :man1:
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em

DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby abeer3 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:55 pm

he opted out of 4 million. he's going to get more than the mini mle.
abeer3

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:43 pm

He wants to play for LA... He is tired of Kobe abusing him.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby JSM on Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:13 am

Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick 16s
More free agent rumblings - OJ Mayo's likely suitors: Jazz, Bucks, Minnesota, Clippers, Blazers, Bobcats, Bulls.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:12 pm

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA 19m
The Utah Jazz will pursue O.J. Mayo, according to sources. They're going after him hard. I've been hearing that since their season ended.
JSM

Postby Iceberg Slim on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:51 pm

I would pin Mayo at 5-6 million. But we'll see. Like you said, the market isn't quite stunning so he'll likely get 7-8 million.

5-6 million in today's league? Ha! You're thinking frugally. Bums get that. Mayo should get 10 million at max, in my mind. Which means he'll earn 12. The boy can score and is a great 2nd option. Really won't be a championship asset unless he has multiple stars around him. Imagine him on Miami instead of Rashard Lewis, who almost makes as much as Kobe does. Game, set, match.

If he goes to Detroit, they'll overpay. Their best player averages 16 and 9. Mayo becomes an instant offense in a very Monta Ellis-like role for Detroit.
www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Iceberg Slim

Postby Finwë on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:59 pm

Iceberg Slim wrote:

5-6 million in today's league? Ha! You're thinking frugally. Bums get that. Mayo should get 10 million at max, in my mind. Which means he'll earn 12. The boy can score and is a great 2nd option. Really won't be a championship asset unless he has multiple stars around him. Imagine him on Miami instead of Rashard Lewis, who almost makes as much as Kobe does. Game, set, match.

If he goes to Detroit, they'll overpay. Their best player averages 16 and 9. Mayo becomes an instant offense in a very Monta Ellis-like role for Detroit.

I'd go with the Bulls if I'm him. Of course money is a factor, but the Bulls, with a healthy Rose (I presume), and the 2 guard they've needed all this time, will be contenders IMO. Maybe with the emergence of Butler they decide to flip Deng to get some depth (they should re-sign Nate, keep Gibson and Belinelli too), and there's your contending team. A great coach with players committed to playing tough and defending with effort, a superstar (Rose), some shooting, a lot of rebounding... What's not to like?
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Clips, Pistons, Jazz, Wolves and Bucks Interested In OJ Mayo

Postby Kobe8Fan on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:56 am

O.J. Mayo Receives Interest From Clippers, Pistons, Jazz, Wolves and Bucks

O.J. Mayo met with the Minnesota Timberwolves on Sunday evening in Los Angeles.

Mayo is also scheduled to meet with the Milwaukee Bucks, Los Angeles Clippers, Detroit Pistons and Utah Jazz.

The New Orleans Pelicans could become interested in Mayo if they trade Greivis Vasquez

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nba-f ... 54522.html
Kobe8Fan

Postby JSM on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:27 pm

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 17m
Add a new suitor to Eric Bledsoe sign-and-trade derby: Clips and Mavs discussing Bledsoe-for-OJ Mayo in live S-and-T scenarios

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 15m
Mavs can't make any major moves until their pursuit of Dwight plays out, but confidence rising in Dallas that they'll work a S-and-T w/Mayo
JSM

Caron and Jamal Crawford Trade for O.J. Mayo Instead?

Postby Kobe8Fan on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:43 am

Caron and Jamal Crawford Trade for O.J. Mayo Instead?

Chris Broussard ‏@Chris_Broussard 2h

Sources say Doc Rivers strongly inclined to keep Bledsoe. Look for Clips to offer Caron Butler or JCrawford instead if necessary to get Mayo

https://twitter.com/Chris_Broussard/sta ... 9781780481
Kobe8Fan

Re: Caron and Jamal Crawford Trade for O.J. Mayo Instead?

Postby JSM on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:03 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 9h
Milwaukee is nearing a deal to sign free agent guard O.J. Mayo, league sources tell Y Sports.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 1h
After moving close on a deal Wednesday, Milwaukee and O.J. Mayo will keep working into Thursday to finalize an agreement, sources told Y!
JSM

Re: Mayo and Bucks close to a deal

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:28 am

F*** rings, get money.

Right?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Re: Mayo and Bucks close to a deal

Postby escobar8 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:44 am

therealdeal wrote:F*** rings, get money.

Right?

cant blame him...still young, gotta get money now, its delusional that he would take mmle or something like that at this point of career...
escobar8

Next

Return to NBA Discussion