SI's mid-season awards

SI's mid-season awards

Postby JSM on Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:30 pm

Here are Sports Illustrated's mid season awards:

SI:

• BIGGEST CONCERN FOR A GOOD TEAM: The continued foot problems of Shaquille O'Neal. The calf strain that has kept the Lakers' center out of action is, medical experts believe, related to lingering pain in his surgically repaired big right toe. He's expected back soon, but the Lakers have to wonder about his conditioning, and, beyond that, whether he will ever again be a force who plays more than 70 games a season. Can you offer max money to a medical risk, even though it's been proven that the Lakers need Shaq in order to win? (Note: I've decided to disqualify Kobe Bryant's legal situation from this category.)

• BIGGEST CONCERN FOR A BAD TEAM: Grant Hill and Tracy McGrady. That's two for Orlando. How much can the Magic depend on Hill's comeback? (Yes, he's going to try another one.) And how long is McGrady going to remain interested if it becomes any more apparent that this is a team heading for a 20-win season?

• MOST UNDERACHIEVING TEAM: Dallas Mavericks. Don't take my word for it, take Dirk Nowitzki's. "Absolutely, we are underachieving," says the Mavs' power forward. "If you look at our lineup, there is no way we should lose some of the games we have lost. We are not playing as a team." It's not that the Mavs are bad (and they can still be entertaining), but they are not nearly as good as they should be. Yes, losing a gutsy player like Nick Van Exel was bound to have an effect, but getting the twin 'Twans, Antoine Walker and Antawn Jamison, should have more than mitigated the point guard's departure. Still, this is a team capable of catching fire, and the plan to load up with offensive weapons could work in the playoffs ... if Dallas makes the playoffs.

• MOST UNDERACHIEVING PLAYER: Steve Francis. By definition, only a good player can underachieve, which is why my choice is the Houston Rockets' point guard. He can still be brilliant, but on too many nights this season his shot has been awful, accounting for his career-low field goal percentage of .393 (as of Monday's games).

• MOST SURPRISING TEAM: Denver Nuggets. There are several candidates (the Utah Jazz, the Memphis Grizzlies, even the rampaging Minnesota Timberwolves), but if the playoffs began today the Nugs would be the West's fifth seed. That is simply incredible. Even with the addition of The Syracuse Kid, does Denver's top six of Carmelo Anthony, Voshon Lenard, Nene Hilario, Marcus Camby, Andre Miller and Earl Boykins sound that formidable? This team won 17 games last season, tied for last in the league with Cleveland, and the Cavs haven't improved nearly as much (in a weak conference) with LeBron James in the same role as 'Melo. Jeff Bzdelik is the obvious frontrunner for Coach of the Year.

• MOST SURPRISING PLAYER: No, it's not Zach Randolph of the Portland Trail Blazers, who, while averaging an impressive 21.9 points and 10 rebounds per game, wouldn't know an assist if one hit him upside the head. It's Utah's Andrei Kirilenko. There's no official category for this statistic, but on two occasions this season he recorded at least five points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks in a game. And he is probably the best on-the-ball defender in the conference, the West's version of Ron Artest. The problem is, Kirilenko's going to have to be even better since the Jazz's leading scorer, Matt Harpring, will have knee surgery Friday and miss the rest of the season.

• BEST EMERGING RIVALRY: Believe it or not, we can turn to the Eastern Conference for this. There is still nothing like the insults the Lakers and Kings can throw at each other, but the Indiana Pacers and New Orleans Hornets have shown a real proclivity for hating each other, which is exactly what the tepid East needs. These are two of the better teams in the conference, and their last meeting (on Jan. 3) produced a melee between the Pacers' Al Harrington and the Hornets' George Lynch and Jamaal Magloire, the latter an ever-ready combatant whose tenacity and tongue irritates many an opponent.

• STRANGEST PLAYER-EXEC RELATIONSHIP: Ron Artest and Larry Bird in Indiana. There's little doubt the Pacers prez of hoop operations can't abide some of Artest's behavior, particularly his decision to sleep in after being benched by coach Rick Carlisle for the second half of a game several weeks ago. But I have to think that Bird, a crotchety competitor if ever there was one, finds much to like in Artest's combative spirit. I also believe that Isiah Thomas would love to have Artest in New York, the Knicks having passed him up the 1999 draft when a brokenhearted Artest wanted to play for his hometown team. Bird would never deal Artest to New York and risk the chance that such a move would come back to haunt him.

• MIDSEASON MVPs: Baron Davis of New Orleans in the East and Kevin Garnett of Minnesota in the West. I'm not saying either player will get the nod at season's end but they are the clear choices at this point.

• BEST THING THAT COULD HAPPEN: That Bobbye Sloan, wife of Utah Jazz coach Jerry, beats the pancreatic cancer she is fighting. The coach himself will tell you that it takes a remarkable woman to stand by the side of such an irascible and competitive character for so many years.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: SI's mid-season awards

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Jan 18, 2004 4:00 pm

jsm0331 wrote:Here are Sports Illustrated's mid season awards:

SI:

• BIGGEST CONCERN FOR A GOOD TEAM: The continued foot problems of Shaquille O'Neal. The calf strain that has kept the Lakers' center out of action is, medical experts believe, related to lingering pain in his surgically repaired big right toe. He's expected back soon, but the Lakers have to wonder about his conditioning, and, beyond that, whether he will ever again be a force who plays more than 70 games a season. Can you offer max money to a medical risk, even though it's been proven that the Lakers need Shaq in order to win? (Note: I've decided to disqualify Kobe Bryant's legal situation from this category.)

• BIGGEST CONCERN FOR A BAD TEAM: Grant Hill and Tracy McGrady. That's two for Orlando. How much can the Magic depend on Hill's comeback? (Yes, he's going to try another one.) And how long is McGrady going to remain interested if it becomes any more apparent that this is a team heading for a 20-win season?

• MOST UNDERACHIEVING TEAM: Dallas Mavericks. Don't take my word for it, take Dirk Nowitzki's. "Absolutely, we are underachieving," says the Mavs' power forward. "If you look at our lineup, there is no way we should lose some of the games we have lost. We are not playing as a team." It's not that the Mavs are bad (and they can still be entertaining), but they are not nearly as good as they should be. Yes, losing a gutsy player like Nick Van Exel was bound to have an effect, but getting the twin 'Twans, Antoine Walker and Antawn Jamison, should have more than mitigated the point guard's departure. Still, this is a team capable of catching fire, and the plan to load up with offensive weapons could work in the playoffs ... if Dallas makes the playoffs.

• MOST UNDERACHIEVING PLAYER: Steve Francis. By definition, only a good player can underachieve, which is why my choice is the Houston Rockets' point guard. He can still be brilliant, but on too many nights this season his shot has been awful, accounting for his career-low field goal percentage of .393 (as of Monday's games).

• MOST SURPRISING TEAM: Denver Nuggets. There are several candidates (the Utah Jazz, the Memphis Grizzlies, even the rampaging Minnesota Timberwolves), but if the playoffs began today the Nugs would be the West's fifth seed. That is simply incredible. Even with the addition of The Syracuse Kid, does Denver's top six of Carmelo Anthony, Voshon Lenard, Nene Hilario, Marcus Camby, Andre Miller and Earl Boykins sound that formidable? This team won 17 games last season, tied for last in the league with Cleveland, and the Cavs haven't improved nearly as much (in a weak conference) with LeBron James in the same role as 'Melo. Jeff Bzdelik is the obvious frontrunner for Coach of the Year.

• MOST SURPRISING PLAYER: No, it's not Zach Randolph of the Portland Trail Blazers, who, while averaging an impressive 21.9 points and 10 rebounds per game, wouldn't know an assist if one hit him upside the head. It's Utah's Andrei Kirilenko. There's no official category for this statistic, but on two occasions this season he recorded at least five points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks in a game. And he is probably the best on-the-ball defender in the conference, the West's version of Ron Artest. The problem is, Kirilenko's going to have to be even better since the Jazz's leading scorer, Matt Harpring, will have knee surgery Friday and miss the rest of the season.

• BEST EMERGING RIVALRY: Believe it or not, we can turn to the Eastern Conference for this. There is still nothing like the insults the Lakers and Kings can throw at each other, but the Indiana Pacers and New Orleans Hornets have shown a real proclivity for hating each other, which is exactly what the tepid East needs. These are two of the better teams in the conference, and their last meeting (on Jan. 3) produced a melee between the Pacers' Al Harrington and the Hornets' George Lynch and Jamaal Magloire, the latter an ever-ready combatant whose tenacity and tongue irritates many an opponent.

• STRANGEST PLAYER-EXEC RELATIONSHIP: Ron Artest and Larry Bird in Indiana. There's little doubt the Pacers prez of hoop operations can't abide some of Artest's behavior, particularly his decision to sleep in after being benched by coach Rick Carlisle for the second half of a game several weeks ago. But I have to think that Bird, a crotchety competitor if ever there was one, finds much to like in Artest's combative spirit. I also believe that Isiah Thomas would love to have Artest in New York, the Knicks having passed him up the 1999 draft when a brokenhearted Artest wanted to play for his hometown team. Bird would never deal Artest to New York and risk the chance that such a move would come back to haunt him.

• MIDSEASON MVPs: Baron Davis of New Orleans in the East and Kevin Garnett of Minnesota in the West. I'm not saying either player will get the nod at season's end but they are the clear choices at this point.

• BEST THING THAT COULD HAPPEN: That Bobbye Sloan, wife of Utah Jazz coach Jerry, beats the pancreatic cancer she is fighting. The coach himself will tell you that it takes a remarkable woman to stand by the side of such an irascible and competitive character for so many years.

i DEFINETLY disagree with BARON DAVIS being tha MVP from tha east...he has SUCKED SO BAD lately and he has alot of 6-23 nights...its not becuz of him tha hornets are doin good...its cuz of guys like magloire brown wesley lynch and augmon that they are doin good...in tha east tha MVP should be Jermaine O'neal or Ron Artest...yes RON ARTEST...

everything this guy said was true...even zach randolph not being tha most surprising player...hes definetly right about andrei kirilenko...hes definetly been tha surprise...and tha thing he said about shaq was damn true...we should reconsider offering him a MAX contract when all hes gonna do is get injured every year, but then again we dont want shaq to be on another team right?
FabFourLakers

Postby lakerfanimal on Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:32 pm

honesly, im not buyin into the hype n i still criticize him a lot, but if he takes cleveland to the playoffs, shudn he be considered, u kno who im talkn bout. Rit now i think wes mvp is kobe or garnet, n eas is J o neal or maybe ben wallace
ImageImage
lakerfanimal

Postby Bulls Fan on Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:05 pm

Kobe mvp? i dont think he has played MVP caliber ball lately....i mean hes good...but he hasnt had that much of an impact while shaq was gone. I was expecting him to do that 9 game 35pts + performance again. That would be MVP. Right now, its hard to say who is MVP. If I had to pick the MVP from the lakers, i would pick Payton or Malone.
The ONLY Bulls Fan
Bulls Fan
Clublakers Rep: Bulls

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:10 pm

Bulls Fan wrote:Kobe mvp? i dont think he has played MVP caliber ball lately....i mean hes good...but he hasnt had that much of an impact while shaq was gone. I was expecting him to do that 9 game 35pts + performance again. That would be MVP. Right now, its hard to say who is MVP. If I had to pick the MVP from the lakers, i would pick Payton or Malone.

yea i agree shaq and kobe havent had monster seasons...we all thot kobe and shaq would be avg 26 and 25...but they are avg 22 and 20 instead...

if i had to select an MVP for tha season so far...i'd say KEVIN GARNETT hands down...NOT tim duncan...NOT Baron Davis and NOT Tracy Mcgrady(are u kidding me?)....KG shoulda gotten it last yeaR BASED ON THA REGULAR SEASON...i expect either KG or Duncan to get it this year...or if Shaq suddenly becomes his once dominant self again..then SHAQ will get it...
FabFourLakers

Postby rydjorker121 on Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:48 am

SI:

I'm sorry, but I hate the majority of their choices...calling Steve Francis the most underachieving player is just BS...its because of Jeff Van Gundy's offense, more touches to Yao, limiting the type of game that he likes to play...thats why he only shoots like 39%...and Indiana Pacers and New Orleans Hornets, these teams are part of the elite but come on, this is the EAST and its just one fight...can't base anything on that...I expect a cool game next time regardless of what Al Harrington keeps saying that their next game against NOH would be bloody and stuff...most of their picks are just out of the ordinary, I mean these guys have their views but Andrei Kirilenko the most surprising player? I expected that to happen after John Stockton and Karl Malone left...that was typical..."Zach Randolph was partially surprising but we saw that coming too, the numbers of 8 points per 16 minutes...he was also a machine last year. Ronald Murray should be most surprising. I don't know much about Ron Artest's and Larry Bird's relationship, but they seem alright--I don't get it. Shaq's toe is a great concern, agreed--and the midseason MVPs look accurate, as we've been down all season so we can't give any to any of the Lakers.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:17 pm

rydjorker121 wrote:

SI:

I'm sorry, but I hate the majority of their choices...calling Steve Francis the most underachieving player is just BS...its because of Jeff Van Gundy's offense, more touches to Yao, limiting the type of game that he likes to play...thats why he only shoots like 39%...and Indiana Pacers and New Orleans Hornets, these teams are part of the elite but come on, this is the EAST and its just one fight...can't base anything on that...I expect a cool game next time regardless of what Al Harrington keeps saying that their next game against NOH would be bloody and stuff...most of their picks are just out of the ordinary, I mean these guys have their views but Andrei Kirilenko the most surprising player? I expected that to happen after John Stockton and Karl Malone left...that was typical..."Zach Randolph was partially surprising but we saw that coming too, the numbers of 8 points per 16 minutes...he was also a machine last year. Ronald Murray should be most surprising. I don't know much about Ron Artest's and Larry Bird's relationship, but they seem alright--I don't get it. Shaq's toe is a great concern, agreed--and the midseason MVPs look accurate, as we've been down all season so we can't give any to any of the Lakers.

no rydjorker they are right about francis...he has SUCKED SO BAD THIS YEAR i cant believe ppl are voting for him...either cassell or payton should be starting...NOT francis...
FabFourLakers

Return to NBA Discussion