Mike Dunlap fired as Bobcats coach

Mike Dunlap fired as Bobcats coach

Postby Basketball Fan on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:46 pm

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... n/related/

Mike Dunlap fired as Bobcats coach after one season

The Charlotte Bobcats were not going to win a lot of games this season if Red Auerbach and John Wooden rose from the dead to co-coach the team. There just wasn’t enough talent.

But Mike Dunlap in his one year could not seem to reach what players he did have to the satisfaction of ownership and the team has fired him after one season, it announced Tuesday.

“Rich Cho and I conducted our season-ending review and met with coach Dunlap to reflect on this season. As an organization, it was decided that we needed to make a change with the head coach position,” president of basketball operations Rod Higgins said in a released statement. “We want to thank Mike for his contribution and wish him the best in his future endeavors.”

Dunlap was an off-the-radar hire, he had been an assistant at St. John’s University the season before. It was hoped he would connect with the young players, but that didn’t pan out.

The Bobcats went 21-61 last season, the second worst record in the NBA. Remember they got off to a fast 7-5 start, but after that fell apart. While it was a mess, at least that was an improvement over 2012, when they won seven of 66 games, the lowest winning percentage in NBA history (.106).

As for replacements, again look for the Bobcats to go with a young coach. You may think working for Michael Jordan is a draw, but for a coach with options the things that are draws are franchises willing to pay top dollar (the Bobcats are small market and not big spenders) and those with a lot of young talent (strike two for Charlotte). Stan Van Gundy isn’t walking through that door. This is a multi-year rebuilding project and the Bobcats are better off with a young coach who seems to connect with his players even while they struggle. Jacque Vaughn seemed to do that in Orlando, for example — they only won 20 games but that team played hard for Vaughn.
Basketball Fan

Re: Mike Dunlap fired as Bobcats coach

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:21 pm

There comes a point in time where the reset button needs to be put away and the franchise as a whole needs to be reevaluated.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:03 pm

This team needs to be absorbed by the league. They're not just bad, but they show no effort in changing how bad they are. They show no desire to get better. Their outlook is awful. Their franchise is a waste of time.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:57 pm

How about a real hire this time around. And then do something drastic about that horrid roster.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:59 pm

Charlotte's a decent destination too. Lot of growth in NC...if an OKC, IND, and Memphis can do something with their team, Charlotte can too.

Come on Michael.
Chillbongo

Postby 432J on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:10 pm

poor guy shouldn't have been hired in the first place. first time i''d ever heard of an NBA team hiring a college assistant coach. poor season was nowhere near his fault though, this team just flat out blows

first step, change the name to charlotte hornets to garner a bit of fan interest
432J

Postby Basketball Fan on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:22 am

Personally I thought they improved they went from 8 wins to 21 that's not bad considering...
Basketball Fan

Postby Iceberg Slim on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:23 am

As a resident of Charlotte, I'll say that this city is more than ready than for an identity change i.e. a name change to the Hornets. I know fans (former fans) of the Hornets who live here who won't even support the Bobcats because they are still heart broken over what George Shinn did to them a decade and a half ago. My girlfriend works for the team and her opinion is that a name change buys them 2-3 years of fan support and loyalty. If they don't start winning by then, they will sell the team to a new buyer in a new city. Richard Cho was supposed to be the golden boy with the magic touch. If anything, tarnish is setting in.

Personally speaking, I like going to the games...to watch the other team play lol. I'm simply a basketball fan. So I can watch bum teams like Toronto, Milwaukee, Dallas (this year), and Detroit for Rudy Gay, B. Jennings, OJ Mayo, or Greg Monroe. So unlike New York City residents (who simply love basketball too) they show up to games even when the Knicks suck. North Carolina is ACC country. Go to any bar downtown off of Trade St., College St. etc...the Bobcats might be playing and you won't even see the game on bar TV's. It's kinda baffling. No one cares. But if they were winning, that would probably change. They did have the #1 attendance record 4 years in a row when the Hornets were going to the playoffs.

www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Iceberg Slim

Postby khmrP on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:34 am

I'd put money on it they go out and hire another no namer on the cheap.
khmrP

Postby JSM on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:49 pm

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 18h
Bobcats likely to seek proven coach after Dunlap experiment. Alvin Gentry has resume, presence & local ties. Expect him in mix for that job
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby gcclaker on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:56 pm

D'Antoni might be available sometime next year...
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:11 pm

MDA might actually fit well there because that team is young and full of athletes that love to run.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby 432J on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:23 pm

Doc Brown wrote:MDA might actually fit well there because that team is young and full of athletes that love to run.

and charlotte is far, far away from LA which makes him an even better fit
432J

Return to NBA Discussion