Moochie Norris/Clarence Weatherspoon swap teams

Moochie Norris/Clarence Weatherspoon swap teams

Postby rydjorker121 on Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:31 pm

Moochie, Amaechi and Weatherspoon swap

NEW YORK, December 30, 2003 – New York Knickerbockers President of Basketball Operations Isiah Thomas announced today that guard Moochie Norris and forward/center John Amaechi have been acquired for forward Clarence Weatherspoon. Per NBA rules, the trade is contingent on all players passing their physicals. Michael Doleac has been placed on the Injured List with lower back spasms and Michael Sweetney has been placed on the Injured List with left patella tendinitis.

Guess what? Isiah's first move as president of the NYKs...he was also betting to sign Leon Smith too, but this is his first official move--not a bad one, too, but now New York's loaded with all these point guards--Howard Eisley (the starter--or most capable starter), Frank Williams (playing well as of late), Charlie Ward (teamwork, heart, and energy makes him good trade bait even w/ bloated contract) and now Moochie Norris, who most likely won't be traded now that he's gotten. Moochie's not a bad point guard but if anything I wouldn't rate him higher than a Howard Eisley in terms of filling the stat sheet. What was Isiah doing anyway?...now instead of getting all these PFs, he's gotten into himself a whole mass of point guards. He needs to realize that his team needs shooters, shooting guards, and now that Mo Pete's off the block for Toronto, that's hard to accomplish. He could try getting Ronald Murray or Brent Barry from Seattle, they're loaded with SGs, or Rodney White from Denver instead. Although Denver doesn't need a PG nor has no intent to trade Rodney now that Jon Barry's on the IR.

How about Charlie Ward for Ronald Murray and Vitaly Potapenko? That helps Seattle get rid of Potapenko's bloated contract and helps give more leeway for Ray Allen to do the scoring. Not only that, Charlie has a lucrative contract so that he can get out of Seattle's hands next season, saving them 20 million dollars in cap room for next season. That may put more trouble into Isiah's hands, since now he's got Vitaly's stupid contract plus its remaining years, but Ronald Murray should be a productive scorer for them. The trade works, too....

Seattle trades: PG Ronald Murray (17.7 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 3.2 apg in 31.1 minutes)
C Vitaly Potapenko (2.6 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 0.5 apg in 11.7 minutes)
Seattle receives: PG Charlie Ward (8.4 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 4.8 apg in 23.4 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -11.9 ppg, -2.8 rpg, and +1.1 apg.

New York trades: PG Charlie Ward (8.4 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 4.8 apg in 23.4 minutes)
New York receives: PG Ronald Murray (17.7 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 3.2 apg in 28 games)
C Vitaly Potapenko (2.6 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 0.5 apg in 17 games)
Change in team outlook: +11.9 ppg, +2.8 rpg, and -1.1 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Seattle and New York being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Seattle and New York had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

and as for John Amaechi he was in the trade to match the salary requirements. I don't think that it was much of a good move for Houston either because now that they have no decent PG to back up Franchise, who hogs up most of the minutes anyway, that may stir up a problem in the future, as of only having the unproven Mike Wilks. Moochie may have his time to shine in New York, hopefully, and Clarence Weatherspoon, being undersized, might get some playing time behind Jim Jackson and Maurice Taylor.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby LAKERCHICK on Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:32 pm

I hate Moochie Noris :mad1:
Devean George
LAKERCHICK

Postby FabFourLakers on Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:59 pm

what kind of stupid move was that by houston?

anyway i think charlie ward and eisley are on their way out...or maybe jus charlie ward is...man he makes alot of money! i never knew new york would give a role player like him that much money...

anyway i think seattle would be really stupid to trade ronald murray and potapenko for ward...they woudl prolly trade ronald murray and potapenko for more talent...not WARD...but if they want it for cap room thhen it makes sense...but who would they get for that much money next offseason?
FabFourLakers

Postby PiEdIe on Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:46 am

it would suck tp see ronald murray leave, he is a good player, Charlie ward just isnt... altho it clears space in the caproom
PiEdIe

Postby JSM on Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:19 pm

this was a great move for the Knicks, not really talent wise, but as for trade value it was smart. They traded one guy, for 2 guys that will end up being traded. They were able to get rid of one of their many pf's, and now they do have too many pg's, but some will be on their way out shortly.

Thomas is making wise moves, I expect to see one or two small moves, and they will get rid of a few guys and then, probably before the All Star break, they will make one big trade (McDyess for Wallace or Artest, or someone along those lines).

The question is how will these guys do, that are only going to be their for a short time and be pawns for a bigger and better deal.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:23 pm

look at how many pf's and pg's they have...it's crazy:

pf's:
Thomas (F/C)
Sweetney
McDyess
Lampe
Harrington
Amaechi (F/C)

pg's:
Williams
Ward
Norris
Eisley
JSM

Postby JSM on Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:26 pm

Norris is thrilled to play for Thomas
Sportsline: "Just to go up there and be around him, I'm sure he'll come down and show me some things," Norris said Wednesday before boarding a plane to New York. "He's one of my favorite point guards of all time -- him and John Stockton."
JSM

Return to NBA Discussion