more of what Jermaine O'Neal said about Thomas being fired

more of what Jermaine O'Neal said about Thomas being fired

Postby JSM on Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:25 pm

O'Neal sounds very mad at the Pacer oganization for firing Thomas. And Harrington might not be to happy about it either. Here's why

ESPN Insider:
"I'm extremely upset," O'Neal told the Philly Daily News. "He really sat down and was a father figure for me. Now I'm sitting here trying to grasp going into the season without him."

"I know I'm going to handle it. I'm professional. I'm going to play. I'm going to play for him. Am I disappointed? Hell, yeah. I'm extremely disappointed. I was told he'd be [the coach]. That's why I re-signed."

O'Neal said he was going to put the firing behind him for now and focus on the Olympic qualifying tournament. But, he said he would pick the issue back up when he returned to Indiana and reiterated that Thomas was the only coach he wanted to play for.

"I'm going to go (back to Indianapolis) next week sometime and try to figure where my future is with the team."

O'Neal won't be the only one pouting. Another potential problem? Al Harrington.

One league source close to Harrington told Insider that he had major issues with Carlisle when Carlisle was an assistant in Indiana. Harrington felt that Carlisle was constantly promoting forward Austin Croshere over him. Things changed when Thomas came to town. Croshere was shown the end of the bench and Harrington became a starter.

Will things revert back to their old form when Carlisle returns?

"It could be an issue," the source told Insider. "Carlisle likes Croshere a lot and just isn't fond of Harrington."
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby BDG on Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:44 pm

Damn, that's weird... O'Neal re-signed because he though Zeke was gonna coach...
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Danny Ainge on Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:46 pm

Bird was out to get Thomas the momment he stepped in office.
Big props to UGOTOWN3D for the avy.
DA fan club:UGOTOWN3D, Realm Of Shadows, DarthRekal, SOAD, hZm
http://www.clubkingshoops.com/forums//
Danny Ainge

Postby BDG on Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:47 pm

Well, it's no secret that they don't like each other.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Danny Ainge on Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:49 pm

Yes but Bird did not have to give him the boot right away.
Danny Ainge

Postby BDG on Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:52 pm

True, I'd at least give him another year. At least he could have seen if something clicks between the players and the coach. The 80s rivalries still live on.

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Danny Ainge on Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:54 pm

Yip, wait Bird look out, It Bill Lambeeir, why does he have that chair thats autographed by Bobby Knight?
Danny Ainge

Follow the white rabbit..

Postby BoogieKnight on Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:31 pm

Things that make you go hmm...

Carlisle was fired by Zeke's former teammate(Dumars) and in return Zeke was fired by by Carlisle's former teammate(Bird).

Its all a conspiracy I tell you!
Shaq was force fed all those donuts, the Kings were set up to lose, and Britney Spears actually raped Kobe.
Need to go as I hear someone coming..
BoogieKnight

Postby Danny Ainge on Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:33 pm

Funny Boogie, BTW I like your avatar :bow:
Danny Ainge

Postby BoogieKnight on Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:05 pm

Thanks DA. The avatar is a clip of a commerical from a honda integra commercial overseas. Anyhow, thought I'd get a new avatar since thats the trend around here.

Whose that in your avatar BTW? I know I've seen that pic of the guy somewhere before.
BoogieKnight

Re: Follow the white rabbit..

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:14 pm

BoogieKnight wrote:Things that make you go hmm...

Carlisle was fired by Zeke's former teammate(Dumars) and in return Zeke was fired by by Carlisle's former teammate(Bird).

Its all a conspiracy I tell you!
Shaq was force fed all those donuts, the Kings were set up to lose, and Britney Spears actually raped Kobe.
Need to go as I hear someone coming..

good observation on the firing of Thomas and Carlisle

i bet this was the plan all along!

But if i cant believe they woudl do that when J O'neal agreed to sign knowing Thomas was goin to be the coach! they shoulda given him a chance! I mean he had his best year yet with the pacers last year, and im sure he can improve ont he 48-34 record of last year to maybe 50+ wins! They have all the talent to do so, maybe not go for a title jus yet, but thomas has gained the respect and trust from the players, and what does Bird do? He FIRES him!

this is NOT good for the pacers and they might have a disgruntled player for 7 years if they dont get rid of him! I hope Jermaine gets traded!
FabFourLakers

Postby HndsmCelt on Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:06 pm

Ishia had a huge fork sticking in his [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] when it baecam obvious he had no controll over Artest. Once the Pacers were eliminated in round one, all that was left was garnish. bird or no Bird Thomas blew it and was going to get the ax.
"We suck at rebounding"
Brad Miller
HndsmCelt
Clublakers Rep: Sac Kings

Postby rydjorker121 on Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:24 pm

No biggie herez. Carlisle just never got along with the Pacers except for that damm Larry Bird guy. No wonder he got fired as coach after the Pacers lost to the Lakes in the Finals. He just didn't fit anywhere, especially not as the GM. Carlisle is not agreeable to Al Harrington and possibly not even Jermaine. Isiah was a more likable guy than Carlisle, there's a problem in the reversion. Damm, why Carlisle? The Pacers look ruined now. :man4:
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby FabFourLakers on Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:33 am

if carlisle gives austin more minutes than harrington, he should be fired right away

austin has no talent whatsoever, harrington is bigger and more athletic and has more potential! i believe he should be a starter next season
FabFourLakers

what the Indy Star is reporting about the situation

Postby JSM on Sat Aug 30, 2003 3:05 pm

here is more about the O'Neal situation. I will sum it up, and give his quotes, if you want to read the entire artical not condensed, then here is the link-http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/5/069562-6935-039.html

The Indy Star reports:
He isn't upset today. He is outraged, hurt beyond words. He feels duped and betrayed, like the target of a cynical bait-and-switch scheme by people he now justifiably feels he cannot trust.

"I'm going to come back, be a professional and play for the Pacers this year, and I'm going to approach this season the same way I approach every season ,but outside of this year, I don't know where my future stands with the Indiana Pacers. I don't know where the trust is. I don't know if I can believe anything they tell me anymore."

Asked if he will demand a trade, O'Neal softened a bit, saying he wanted to sit down after next season and discuss his future. But he's lost confidence and faith in Pacers management. And he's not yet sure there's anything that can be done to rebuild that shattered relationship.

"Right now I'm a Pacer and I'm not going to shortcut the fans, my teammates, anybody, I'm not going to show up with a chip on my shoulder. And this has nothing at all to do with Rick Carlisle. I'm not going to take any of this out on him. But my word is all I've got in this world, and hopefully everybody else feels that way and acts that way. I've been deceived, and that's a hard thing to swallow."

These are the words of a young man who made the most important decision of his professional life, "in large part, because he (Isiah Thomas) was coming back. Ten, 15 times, they told me. It was etched in stone."

He feels like he was lured back under false pretenses, that he was willfully misled by management. His anger, surely, is justified.

He could have played with Tim and won championships. Instead, he stayed here, he even canceled his recruiting trip to San Antonio. Now, he wonders . . . why?

Asked if Walsh gave him any reason during negotiations to think management was considering a coaching change, O'Neal said, "No. Just the opposite."

Asked if Walsh told him during negotiations about the impending hiring of Larry Bird, a man who has a rough history with Thomas, O'Neal said, "No. I had no idea until the day it happened."

O'Neal's ire and disappointment are focused on Walsh, but he has good reason to take some issue with Bird, even though Bird was introduced a few days after O'Neal orally committed to stay. In O'Neal's view, Bird had more than two weeks between his hiring and the Aug. 1 free-agent signing date to share some of his thoughts about Thomas.

"At some point, when you say a guy is the franchise's cornerstone, you would think he (Bird) would sit me down and speak to me about it," O'Neal said. "I know management will make its decision no matter what, but let me know. I just wish we had these discussions when the contract was up. I could handle that. But it happens now? After the deal is signed?"

The Thomas issue isn't the only bone of contention. O'Neal also felt he was led to believe the Pacers would dramatically upgrade the cast around him.

Asked if he felt the team has gotten any better, O'Neal laughed. "You tell me," he said. "You tell me. I'll leave that up to you and let you figure out how I'm feeling right now."

In the end, it doesn't ultimately matter what really happened during negotiations. What matters now is what O'Neal believes happened in the days before he made his commitment.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby rydjorker121 on Sat Aug 30, 2003 6:39 pm

yup jsm, that's the way the ball bounces if you have a fatass Bird as the GM.

He wants Austin Croshere and not Al Harrington.

Now he pissed off their future star: seduction, betrayal, etc. etc........
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Return to NBA Discussion