MWPeace Discussion: Big Apple Bound

Re: MWPeace Discussion: Knee Surgery, out minimum 6 weeks (194)

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:47 pm

Metta World Peace Injury Update

Lakers forward Metta World Peace, who injured his left knee in Monday night’s game against the Warriors in Oakland, will have surgery tomorrow for a torn lateral meniscus.

The surgery will be performed by team doctors Steve Lombardo and Dan Kharrazi of the Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Group in Los Angeles.

World Peace, who has averaged 12.8 points, 5.1 rebounds and 1.70 steals in 70 games (64 starts) this season, is expected to be out a minimum of six weeks.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Re: MWPeace Discussion: Strained left knee (192)

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:48 pm

Thank you Ron for you key contribution in the 2010 playoffs . Peace out
wcsoldier81

Postby davriver290 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:50 pm

despite Ron being a bonehead on Offense sometimes and having some shooting issues, the man has been pretty damn good. He's shooting the 3 at a respectable rate. His D is still pretty damn good. Sure he's slow footed and not the highest jumper, but he produces.

Lets not forget that our offense isn't even the problem.. Its the defense. The team lacks team chemistry when it comes to D. Dwight can't be the only one to be relied on. Metta actually keeps his man in check most times. Kobe can D up when he's up for it but sometimes gets lazy and collapses everything on D. Nash isn't the best but then again who can guard the likes of Tony Parker, Westbrook or Chris Paul?

The problem is our defensive schemes as a team. We are not funneling our man into the right direction. Help isn't coming when its supposed to and the hustle seems to be lacking almost every game (except from Metta, Kobe and Dwight). I'm tired of hearing people don't want Metta anymore because he's not reliable, he can't shoot, he can't create blah blah blah.... Well we have enough creators.... we have an offense that can score ( we've been scoring above 100 most of the time) we need defense. While Metta brings it, he needs help as well. I hope we bring him back because from the sound of it, he's willing to opt out and sign for a lot less to be with us. I don't care if he's starting of bench, the man does what he's supposed to do.
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby kenzo on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:57 pm

Even that we had more than a few "head scratching" moments thanks to Ron... We'll miss him more than some of you guys think :bang:
kenzo

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:00 pm

he isnt afraid of hitting big shots and somehow always gets his left hand in everywhere for steals and deflections. plus his overall intensity and energy will be missed. honestly this team isnt going anywhere without him or someone like him at the wing.

sucks this is prob the last we'll see of him as a laker bc he'll prob be amnestied and thus opt out this summer and sign with the heat or okc imo
Ariza3

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:05 pm

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:16 pm

davriver290 wrote:despite Ron being a bonehead on Offense sometimes and having some shooting issues, the man has been pretty damn good. He's shooting the 3 at a respectable rate. His D is still pretty damn good. Sure he's slow footed and not the highest jumper, but he produces.

Lets not forget that our offense isn't even the problem.. Its the defense. The team lacks team chemistry when it comes to D. Dwight can't be the only one to be relied on. Metta actually keeps his man in check most times. Kobe can D up when he's up for it but sometimes gets lazy and collapses everything on D. Nash isn't the best but then again who can guard the likes of Tony Parker, Westbrook or Chris Paul?

The problem is our defensive schemes as a team. We are not funneling our man into the right direction. Help isn't coming when its supposed to and the hustle seems to be lacking almost every game (except from Metta, Kobe and Dwight). I'm tired of hearing people don't want Metta anymore because he's not reliable, he can't shoot, he can't create blah blah blah.... Well we have enough creators.... we have an offense that can score ( we've been scoring above 100 most of the time) we need defense. While Metta brings it, he needs help as well. I hope we bring him back because from the sound of it, he's willing to opt out and sign for a lot less to be with us. I don't care if he's starting of bench, the man does what he's supposed to do.

^^ I absolutely agree. I know he can be a knucklehead on offense. But we have absolutely no one to take his place on the defensive end. We've already griped about the fact that our starting guards have been atrocious on D much of the year. We have no backup 3 at all since Ebanks was a bust. And now we have to go small or go with Clark who frankly isn't quick enough to play the 3 at least at the moment coming off whatever foot injury he seems to have suffered.

This to me is the final straw for any real hopes we might have had to make any run in the playoffs. When playoff ball starts, if we even make it, that's where having a guy like MWP is invaluable. And not having him is going to destroy us. Our defense has been utter garbage lately. Take off the best defender on the team and we're in deep doo doo.

It's a sad way to end this sad season. But I don't see us getting over this injury to MWP.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:18 pm

TheOp wrote:Not that I wish injury on anyone, but Metta not playing is a good thing for us. We at least get rid of 1 black hole on offense.

as much as you may be right, even with that black hole MWP would clean up a hole on defense so that Kobe didn't have to guard the best player or that an inexperienced Clark didn't have to guard the other team's best perimeter player.

In more ways than not, this news hurts a lot more than it helps.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:24 pm

This sucks. Either way, I wished we would have addressed the lack of depth for the SF position last offseason. Unfortunately for Metta, I don't know if he'll be back next year. I wouldn't mind him coming off the bench. We need to go in another direction at SF...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:34 pm

gunna rewatch the 2010 nba finals game 7 in honor of mwp. dude was the reason we won that game. 20 points. 5 steals. game winner. he'll be missed in the playoffs even with his erratic reg season play
Ariza3

Postby l8kerboi23 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:36 pm

Bad news for metta...good news for laker fans, no doubt about it.
l8kerboi23

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:44 pm

How can you people honestly think that Metta being gone helps the team?

You realize how ridiculous that is? Missing the only other guy that gives his all 100% of the time is a good thing? No doubt about it? How ridiculous.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby KB24 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:46 pm

he was useless, so not a big loss really. Thanks for the memories Ron, I'll remember your last Laker game in good grace.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby nameant on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:48 pm

Metta has always been a wildcard...but he seemed to help out a lot in key moments in the playoffs. Missing players is never a good thing. We get Pau back and now Metta is gone. Lost cause of a season.
nameant

Postby Weezy on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:52 pm

I'm indifferent to him being out because we were going nowhere with or without him, but I don't get how anyone thinks we're better without him. We might not have appreciated his contributions before, but without him they will be apparent and missed. Also, if we had a 10% chance or something of wining a playoffs series as an 8th seed before, it's more like 1% without him. He takes some bad shots yes, and he's not what he used to be, but if we're in the playoffs his defense, intensity and effort will be missed big time, he's one of those fearless guys you need in the playoffs. Oh and you want to talk useless, Pau is useless right now, MWP is a huge contributor compared to Pau.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:52 pm

at least his last game playing as a laker (most likely bc no way we make the finals) he played well.

7pts (2-3 FG 3-4 FT) 2stl 1ast 1TO 19mins.

good memories. playoff games he was always big on both ends. sucks he wont be able to play in the playoffs finally being healthy after all these season of having injuries and not saying a word about them or complaining and just going out there and doing his job. no one deserves injuries but he was one of the ones i felt more than anyone shouldnt get injured just bc of everything hes gone through
Ariza3

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:54 pm

of course he gets injured by slipping on a wet spot. cmon sweat wipers!!! you have one job!!! to wipe sweat off the floor and get paid to stand courtside and watch nba games. jesus! :mad1:
Ariza3

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:59 pm

Yes, Metta had played better than every year except 2009-2010, but his downfalls usually balanced out his good play.

His defense on most players was tight, and he has some of the quickest hands in the game. But, although he lost weight, he's not able to stay in front of his man anymore. If he didn't get the steal, his man was already passed him and our defense is broken down. This goes for Nash, Kobe as well, so I'm not blaming just Metta. But I thought his main strength to his defense was sticking to his man and harassing them. He can't do that anymore.

Offensively, he's hit or miss. He'll hit 3's one game, or just be complete off. He lost use of his right hand in favor of his left, and is very predictable because he's not particular adept with using his left. Although very strong in the post, he only has one move, and that is to spin to his left and launch a shot with his left. Outside of that, it's offbalance jumpers and out of control drives. when he's taking a set shot, or in control, he's fine. but too often i find it's the prior.

We'll we miss Metta's presence, hell yeah. I love his tenacity and grit every game, but he's not the same 2010 Metta. We're in need of an athletic wing who can score (i.e. Granger/Gay).
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby karacha on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:59 pm

Horrible news.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby TheOp on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:20 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:
TheOp wrote:Not that I wish injury on anyone, but Metta not playing is a good thing for us. We at least get rid of 1 black hole on offense.

as much as you may be right, even with that black hole MWP would clean up a hole on defense so that Kobe didn't have to guard the best player or that an inexperienced Clark didn't have to guard the other team's best perimeter player.

In more ways than not, this news hurts a lot more than it helps.

Metta guarding the best player didnt really help us much. How many games where we have faced an elite SF can you honestly say Metta slowed them down?
TheOp

Postby davriver290 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:46 pm

Useless? Wildcard?

I'd say he was not in any way useless. The man did his job. I will never understand this view of him as useless. In terms of offense he isn't the best, but his defense as actually been pretty damn good.

Wildcard is more like it when it came to D, but he has always been consistent in D....

This useless label of him is tiresome and overused. He is far from useless.
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby Weezy on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:52 pm

What I'm confused about is why some think he's played his last game as a Laker. I'm not against that idea, but he's under contract, where's he going? Nobody's trading for him, and I would honestly think Pau is a more likely candidate for amnesty. MWP isn't worth 7 mil, but he's more worth that than Pau is 19 mil, I'm starting to wonder if Pau is even attractive as an expiring contract anymore, we might be stuck with him. So how are we getting rid of Metta? Again I'm not against it I just don't see how.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:56 pm

I dont like his game either but I dont think he's useless, word for me is "frustrating" but thats most on offense, feel like smashing things when I see him try to create his own offense.
khmrP

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:02 pm

Lakers fans essentially celebrating the injury of another one of our players :man3:
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:13 pm

whos gunna do all those gritty plays that really can win you games. huge part of the team is gone and no one is actually capable of doing what he does for this team. no one can. huge loss
Ariza3

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion