MWPeace Discussion: Big Apple Bound

Re: MWPeace Discussion:I am Ron Amnesty...? (209)

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:18 pm

gcclaker wrote:...sometime in the summer of 2014 after the Laker season comes to a close. Bryant in the shower will hear a familiar voice "Pssst, Kob, I can help you win a championship!"

:man12: :man10:

:bow: :man10: :man10: We will never forget this.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:19 pm

therealdeal wrote:I'm more sad than I thought I'd be... I had finally gotten used to the idea of him being around still...

I wonder what we do to fill out the SF spot then? Unless we're running super small ball all the time.

I have a feeling they're going to start Nick Young at the three and Meeks at the two. Although I'm really hoping they try to move Blake for another SF.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:20 pm

Kobe said that after the Lakers lost game six of the '08 NBA Finals in Boston by 39 points, he was alone in the shower, just fuming. He heard somebody walk in and assumed it was one of his teammates, or maybe a staff member. Instead, he looked up, and it was Ron Artest (to this day, Kobe has no idea how Artest got into the locker room).

"I want to come help you," Artest said. "If I can, I'm going to find a way to come to LA and give you the help you need to win a title."

and he did that :jam2:
Ariza3

Postby Snake Eyes on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:24 pm

Weezy wrote:
Snake Eyes wrote:I don't like this move at this point. I feel like we could squeak into the playoffs. I figured Nick Young would start at SG for Kobe until he comes back. But now that MWP is gone, I guess Young will start at SF? Who the hell is going to start at SG until Kobe comes back?! Meeks? Blake? Eh.

Yeah, but I mean why do we want to just sneak into the playoffs when the worse we do the better our draft pick is? We're not exactly playing for a title this season, so paying to keep Metta just wasn't likely. I don't want us to ever tank, that's not what I'm saying, I just mean the Lakers aren't trying to play big luxury taxes for a maybe 8th seed roster.

I don't see this move as tanking either, but its not like they are trying very hard to win. We should try to contend no matter what. We're the Lakers. We were putting a nice roster together given the situation. I guess I just see it differently.
Snake Eyes

Postby XXIV on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:27 pm

Damn I was hoping we'd keep Metta, especially after the new addition of Young. Hopefully ownership goes after two more SF, we have no one who can truly play that position well. You will be missed MWP, thanks for the 2010 title. :bow:
XXIV

Postby Center Court on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:27 pm

Clearly his best days are behind him but nonetheless, he was our only SF on the roster. Not sure what the hell we're going to do next year but I wish him the best.

Clippers, Houston, or NY. One of them will get him.
Center Court

Postby Helljumper on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:31 pm

Personally, I think we're a much better team freeing up the starting SF spot for Young.
Helljumper

Postby Weezy on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:33 pm

Snake Eyes, I'm just saying I guess the Lakers didn't think what MWP was going to bring was worth the 14 million dollar (or whatever it) savings. I liked the guy a lot, but let's not forget just a few weeks or months ago most here wanted him gone, wanted him amnestied. His shot hadn't been great, and his defense could still be good but he couldn't hang with quicker guys and the injuries and signs of aging and declining were pretty strong.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:33 pm

http://www.hoopsworld.com/what-teams-still-have-spending-power

Many of the big names in free agency have found homes, but a few key free agents remain unsigned like Monta Ellis, Brandon Jennings, Nikola Pekovic, Andrei Kirilenko, Mo Williams and Gerald Henderson.

What teams still have spending power to go shopping almost two weeks into the free agency period?

The cap came at $58,679,000 for the coming season with a luxury tax threshold of $71,748,000 with the luxury tax apron set at $75,748,000.

While contracts and trades are still going through the league office, the exact figures for each club will continue to come in. In the meantime, reasonable and educated estimates show where teams stand and who has money to spend.

Cap Teams

Some teams are flush with cap room. Others can get there via amnesty and buy-outs:

Atlanta Hawks — $19.3 million
Philadelphia 76ers — $16.1 million
Detroit Pistons — $14.5 million
Orlando Magic — $13.7 million
Sacramento Kings — $13.6 million
Milwaukee Bucks — $9.7 million
Dallas Mavericks — $9.3 million
Charlotte Bobcats — $6.3 million
Utah Jazz — $5.3 million
Cleveland Cavaliers — $2.7 million
Phoenix Suns — $1.5 million

He would be perfect in Atlanta...next to Millsap, Horford

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Re: MWPeace Discussion: Waived Via Amnesty!!! (216)

Postby TIME on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:33 pm

:man6: :man6: :man6:

Loved Metta. Always be one of my favorites for his Game 7 against those guys. :bow: :bow: :bow:

The ONLY good thing about this from my perspective is that it ends all the amnesty Kobe crap. :mad1:
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:38 pm

Marc Berman ‏@NYPost_Berman 1m
Artest Sr: “I feel it’s a big, big possibility. If the #Knicks go after Ron, I can’t see him turning them down.’’
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby The Rock on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:39 pm

nooo please dont go to the Knicks lol they need to be a mess in order for Melo to bolt for LA :man10:

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby lakersyunowin on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:39 pm

farewell metta and best wishes. please don't go to a team that we hate.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Snake Eyes on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:41 pm

Weezy wrote:Snake Eyes, I'm just saying I guess the Lakers didn't think what MWP was going to bring was worth the 14 million dollar (or whatever it) savings. I liked the guy a lot, but let's not forget just a few weeks or months ago most here wanted him gone, wanted him amnestied. His shot hadn't been great, and his defense could still be good but he couldn't hang with quicker guys and the injuries and signs of aging and declining were pretty strong.

That's true. I've cursed his name in past seasons. I thought he played pretty well this season though. Oh, well. I guess its time to move on. Maybe we can get Jabari Parker after all. :man11:
Snake Eyes

Postby purp n gold on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:42 pm

Wish he stayed, but the savings are just too much. He had his ups and downs, but when he was on, he was one of the funnest Lakers to root for.

Good luck MWP :jam2:
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby XXIV on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:42 pm

The Rock wrote:nooo please dont go to the Knicks lol they need to be a mess in order for Melo to bolt for LA :man10:

Who better to make a mess than MWP?
XXIV

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:50 pm

maybe metta going to the knicks for a year would be a good thing. one it would make metta happy to play at home for him. and two, he could talk to melo and tell him about all the great things about playing in LA, what its like, winning a ring, etc.

he could help the lakers
Ariza3

Postby DarthRekal on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:52 pm

Ariza3 wrote:maybe metta going to the knicks for a year would be a good thing. one it would make metta happy to play at home for him. and two, he could talk to melo and tell him about all the great things about playing in LA, what its like, winning a ring, etc.

he could help the lakers

this... then they could BOTH come back the year after :jam2:
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:03 pm

Im sad. That is all.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Juronimo on Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:03 pm

I wasn't a fan of Ron Artest before he became a Laker. I thought he was a goon and a locker room cancer and was adamantly opposed to him being anywhere near the Lakers.

Needless to say my opinion of Ron Artest has changed completely. He has been a great team player who has always played hard. He worked hard to overcome his past mistakes and he gave us plenty of entertaining moments as a Laker. I for one am grateful for his contributions to this team, especially game 7 in 2010 and the hilarious post game interviews afterwards.

I'm sad to see him go, even if I understand from a basketball perspective. I'm not the one writing the checks. But it saddens me to see him go. I wish him the best of luck.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby Barnstable on Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:20 pm

Ariza3 wrote:
Kobe said that after the Lakers lost game six of the '08 NBA Finals in Boston by 39 points, he was alone in the shower, just fuming. He heard somebody walk in and assumed it was one of his teammates, or maybe a staff member. Instead, he looked up, and it was Ron Artest (to this day, Kobe has no idea how Artest got into the locker room).

"I want to come help you," Artest said. "If I can, I'm going to find a way to come to LA and give you the help you need to win a title."

and he did that :jam2:

I almost teared up remembering that :man6:

You will be missed Ron. You're a Laker for life.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby gill on Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:25 pm

I already wish him well on Twitter... so I'm just gonna let this emoticon below express what I felt when I read the news

:man6:
gill

Postby LOSLAKERS on Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:30 pm

Should have kept him :man6:
LOSLAKERS

Postby gcclaker on Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:30 pm

Even if it was inevitable, there's more sadness about Artest/World Peace going than that other guy who left.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:04 pm

“@MettaWorldPeace: I'm playing for the LA kings”

“@MettaWorldPeace: I'm retiring and playing hockey”

LOL classic metta
Ariza3

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion