NBA Draft Conspiracies?

NBA Draft Conspiracies?

Postby TheOp on Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:44 am

I was just thinking about this the other day how some players magically end up in certain situations.

Blazers passing up on Jordan so he can play in a bigger market
Bulls going from 9th worst record to 1st overall pick to draft Rose (Hometown Product)
The Knicks getting number 1 to draft Ewing
Kobe traded to LA
Cavs getting number 1 to get Lebron (Cleveland Product), and then getting number 1 again when he left

Idk really what to think of all this. It will be interesting to see how this years draft plays out.
TheOp

Re: NBA Draft Conspiracies?

Postby Magic Skywalker on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:12 am

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with this.

First of all, if you're gonna conspire, you don't give three 1st overall picks to Cleveland in 11 years. I mean, it's Cleveland.

Hornets didn't even want Kobe, and we made a trade that, at the time, was pretty risky. Vlade Divac was a pretty good player who was more than proven, while Kobe was just a 17 year old kid.

I don't even get how the Blazers passing up on Jordan could be a conspiracy. That was just poor scouting.

Knicks were pretty bad the year before Ewing, bottom 3 record in the league. They had a legit chance at Ewing.

Sure, Bulls were really lucky with Rose, but that is why you put balls for every lottery team. Where have the conspirers been for the Knicks in the last 15 years? I mean, they've been seriously bad and their best pick has been a 6th overall pick, and you don't get bigger than New York in terms of market.

Us Lakers, another big market, didn't have any luck with conspiracies in our favor the one year we actually were in the lottery.
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby kenzo on Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:30 am

Don't have any proof but 2011 and 2012 were rigged as f*** :man9:
kenzo

Postby John3:16 on Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:05 am

The only one I think was rigged was Ewing.

And we deserve the #1 pick this year. #basketballreasons
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:46 am

I think some are rigged, at least for the number 1 pick. The rest are done via the lottery. If something big happens in the city and they end up nosediving, they will get the 1st round pick. (At least in recent history)

1.) Anthony Davis - Fresh off the CP3 disaster, lose a star gain a number 1 pick. That seems to be the theme
2.) Kyrie Irving - Fresh off Lebron leaving, lose a star gain a number 1 pick.
3.) John Wall - Fresh off the Gilbert Arenas gun case, quick turnaround getting the number 1 pick.
4.) Derrick Rose - Hometown player going to his hometown team. 1.7% chance of getting the number 1.
5.) Lebron James - Who didn't think he was going to his hometown team?

If you lose a star or a hometown guy is projected number 1. I'd bet money they go to that team.

I really wouldn't be surprised if we got the number 1 pick this year. D12 leaves, Kobe on the way out, Lakers being the NBA's money maker. It's setup for us.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby charvin on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:13 am

Doc Brown wrote:I really wouldn't be surprised if we got the number 1 pick this year. D12 leaves, Kobe on the way out, Lakers being the NBA's money maker. It's setup for us.

We'll hold you to this prediction :man10:
charvin

Postby 432J on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:30 am

the '85 draft is really the only one that i think was rigged

here's a good read from simmons regarding the '85 draft conspiracy
http://www.aolnews.com/2007/04/19/bill-simmons-1985-draft-lottery-conspiracy-theories/
432J

Postby therealdeal on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:07 am

Doc Brown wrote:I think some are rigged, at least for the number 1 pick. The rest are done via the lottery. If something big happens in the city and they end up nosediving, they will get the 1st round pick. (At least in recent history)

1.) Anthony Davis - Fresh off the CP3 disaster, lose a star gain a number 1 pick. That seems to be the theme
2.) Kyrie Irving - Fresh off Lebron leaving, lose a star gain a number 1 pick.
3.) John Wall - Fresh off the Gilbert Arenas gun case, quick turnaround getting the number 1 pick.
4.) Derrick Rose - Hometown player going to his hometown team. 1.7% chance of getting the number 1.
5.) Lebron James - Who didn't think he was going to his hometown team?

If you lose a star or a hometown guy is projected number 1. I'd bet money they go to that team.

I really wouldn't be surprised if we got the number 1 pick this year. D12 leaves, Kobe on the way out, Lakers being the NBA's money maker. It's setup for us.

Exactly.

I think the NBA will rig the draft in ways to benefit the NBA. Seems obvious, right? Why wouldn't they? I'd be shocked if the Lakers ended the season with one of the bottom 4 records and didn't end up with a top 5 pick in this draft. It just wouldn't be good business sense for the NBA to have us out of the mix for too long. We make the most money for the league besides New York (and I think internationally we HAVE to sell the most).
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:31 am

What Doc said ... timings of these picks make too much sense for the number 1 draft pick to not be fixed .

I wouldn't be surprised if Lakers and Celtpricks get no 1 and no 2 ... it looks too obvious of a fix though ... so one franchise getting no 1 and the other no 3 or 4 seem more likey
wcsoldier81

Postby Iceberg Slim on Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:41 am

I definitely think a few were rigged. It's easy to predict actually if you really pay attention to the storylines. Hometown products going to hometown teams are the most obvious.

1) Eddy Curry to Chicago
2) D-Rose to Chicago
3) Lebron to Cleveland.

What made these occurences even more blatant is that my friends and I discussed it happening before it happened. Everyone and their mama knew Bron was going to Cleveland as soon as he graced the cover of SI when he was 16. The prodigal son returning home.

Ask yourself, what are the chances of that really happening. It should be slim.

Next up: Andrew Wiggins to Toronto. The Raptors have already cleared the SF position for him when they traded Rudy Gay away for peanuts. Also take notice that Jabari Parker is Mormon and quite serious about his faith. I'm not going out on a limb and prophesizing it but, don't be surprised if he lands in Utah.

Other noteworthy fixes: New Orleans gets the #1 pick in 2012 - the team the NBA owns (at the time) and covets arguably the most high profile pic since Lebron. I don't think anyone was shocked by this once you really think about it.
www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Iceberg Slim

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:47 am

Adam Silver WILL need to make up for the CP3 veto and the aftermath that followed.

:man9:
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Iceberg Slim on Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:21 am

lakerfan2 wrote:Adam Silver WILL need to make up for the CP3 veto and the aftermath that followed.

:man9:

Funny you mentioned that. That's what I was actually thinking. Expect the Lakers to have a top 3 pick in this summers draft. The facts are, the NBA would like the Lakers to be good every single year. They are the New York Yankees of the NBA. The position this golden franchise is in is NOT good for the league. Aaron Gordon, Julius Randle, Wiggins,, Embiid, and Jabari Parker (in some order) will be the first 5 picks taken, imho. One of these studs will be end up in purp and gold, I believe.

Iceberg Slim

Postby therealdeal on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:36 am

^ I think it's hard to rig for the Lakers just BECAUSE they're so high profile. Someone will call foul if we're the #1 pick unless we get down to one of the bottom 3 records. That's just the way I see it.

That being said, I still think we end up with not just a top 5 pick, but a top 3 pick. I can't imagine us falling any lower than 4.

And with Embiid having a back fracture, I can see him either not committing at all or simply not declaring for the draft. I expect Exum to be a Laker.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:42 am

^ Really? I think that would make it more incentive for Embiid to declare. Yes, his stock may have dropped, but he's not dropping out of the Top 5.

That's guaranteed money for him. Access to a more resourceful training staff that can get him conditioned to the NBA flow gradually.

If he were to stay, he could possibly injure himself further and not even be considered a lottery pick. Look at Oden for example. Although he left his 1st year, and had an injury plagued career, he's still had opportunities to try to make it back to the game. He's now a backup center for the Heat just because of his potential as the 1st pick.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:48 am

Well it depends on his rehab and all that right now, but that's a good point.

Still though, the fact is that the Lakers will get a top draft pick this summer and it's going to be a good player. At worst they end up with Exum, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Lakers end up with Wiggins.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Iceberg Slim on Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:12 am

^ I think it's hard to rig for the Lakers just BECAUSE they're so high profile. Someone will call foul if we're the #1 pick unless we get down to one of the bottom 3 records. That's just the way I see it.

They could cry foul all they want. People have been crying foul over the 1985 draft for 29 years. It still won't change anything.

Iceberg Slim

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:22 am

To be honest, I see our situation in two ways.

We do get a Top 2, Wiggins is first priority, followed by Embiid.

If we get 3-6, I think Exum will be the target followed by Parker. And Exum may force his way here.

I have a strange feeling with Exum, although I've never seen much of his game, I think he will be a breakout star behind Wiggins.

The strange thing with Parker that people haven't been talking much about is his Mormon faith, and his requirement to go on a 2-year mission. I wonder how that will affect his career, or if he decides to forgo the mission.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:26 am

Fredette, Ainge and Steve Young didn't go on a mission. I wouldn't be too worried about it.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:45 am

Iceberg Slim wrote:

They could cry foul all they want. People have been crying foul over the 1985 draft for 29 years. It still won't change anything.

It worked to keep Chris Paul off the Lakers and that changed a HELL of a lot. If Paul comes to LA, regardless of the Dwight situation, the Clippers spend another 10 years in the doldrums at least.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Iceberg Slim on Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:50 am

therealdeal wrote:
Iceberg Slim wrote:

It worked to keep Chris Paul off the Lakers and that changed a HELL of a lot. If Paul comes to LA, regardless of the Dwight situation, the Clippers spend another 10 years in the doldrums at least.

That situation was must different. The NBA had just gotten out of a lockout where the primary concern was star players teaming up with star players at the expense of the rest of the league. Additionally, the NBA literally owned the Hornets. Why would they allow that sign-and-trade to go through considering the climate and recent CBA? So David Stern and the NBA did exactly what they wanted to do...spread the wealth. And Chris Paul ended up in LA anyway, just for the wrong team.

Iceberg Slim

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:41 pm

There was actually no sign-and-trade in that deal.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:44 pm

I don't think it's much different at all. It's still rigging the system in order to make the outcomes different and arguably better for the NBA. The trade the Hornets settled for was of course worse than what they would have gotten from the Rockets, the only thing that made it better was the pick which they rigged to get them Davis.

They in turn built up the Clippers. The Clippers were maybe WORSE than a small market team struggling because they were a BIG market team that had been incredibly underutilized. The Knicks might be bad now, but no team in the NBA had such a history of losing as the Clippers and that's unacceptable given their market and potential for profits. Stern's final gift to the league was the Clippers becoming a viable team by tearing down the Lakers; counting on the long standing strength of the Lakers to rebuild themselves given time.

It's still another case of the NBA rigging their product though to benefit themselves, just not directly through the draft.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Return to NBA Discussion