NBA Finals ratings down from last year

NBA Finals ratings down from last year

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:35 am

Not surprising since fans and others have made it clear how boring they think San Antonio is.

People wanted another LeBron/Kevin Durant finals, or a Carmelo/Durant finals, Grizzlies vs. the Pacers (cinderella small teams in the finals) anything but San Antonio lol.

NBA Finals TV Ratings Down From Last Year

The first two games of the NBA Finals series between the Miami Heat and San Antonio Spurs resulted in a TV ratings slip for ABC. Game 1 was down 12% in terms of total viewers compared to last year’s series opener between Miami and the OKC Thunder; Game 2 drew 13% less viewers. Per Deadline and the AP: “The final numbers are in for Game 1 of the NBA Finals and it remains a loss for ABC. Running from 9 PM – 11:39 PM ET, the match-up between the San Antonio Spurs and the Miami Heat received a 5.7/18 with 14.2 million viewers watching. That’s down 17% among Adults 18-49 from the first game of last year’s NBA Final on June 12, 2012. The game was also down 12% in terms of viewers from last year. Having said that, Thursday’s game was the best ever start for a finals that ABC has had when the Spurs are playing. [...] The NBA Finals’ television viewership for Game 2 was down 13 percent from last year. Miami’s 103-84 win over the San Antonio Spurs on Sunday night on ABC was watched by 14.6 million people. That’s down from 16.7 million for the Heat-Thunder series a year ago. Miami had turned Sunday’s game into a blowout by midway through the fourth quarter. The Heat’s Game 2 win last season was still in doubt in the final minute.”
http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/20 ... last-year/
Jazzygirl205

Re: NBA Finals ratings down from last year

Postby nameant on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:52 am

Haven't watched a second and don't plan to. Hope the Spurs win tho.
nameant

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:49 am

Agreed Jazzy. Not surprising even in the slightest. The Spurs are a ratings killer. Always have been. But no one can control injuries. OKC was definitely the team to beat until Westbrook went down. On paper at least it looked like a pretty good sequel although no Harden was a bummer for OKC. Nonetheless, the Spurs probably have a better chance to beat the CHEAT than OKC did.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby D.B. Cooper on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:13 am

nameant wrote:Haven't watched a second and don't plan to. Don't care who wins.
D.B. Cooper

Postby Weezy on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:30 am

"The Spurs are boring" stereotype is out of date, they aren't. And if they are Miami is every bit as boring then because the teams are very similar to me. The series after game 1 has been awful though, 2 huge blowouts, so I don't blame people for not watching.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:38 am

D.B. Cooper wrote:
nameant wrote:Haven't watched a second and don't plan to. Don't care who wins.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Cleansed on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:47 am

I have no problem with the Spurs. Its the Heat that have kept me away. Watching Lebron , even in defeat, doesnt appeal to me. Adding Wade only compounds the issue. I feel sorry for Chris Bosh. I wish he played on a different team.
"The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses."
You do not see things as they are, you see things as you are.
Cleansed

Postby Forward Three on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:50 am

I watched game 3, but I didn't care to watch game 1 and only saw moments of game 2. I may watch Game 4 just because I'm curious to see if that three point shooting barrage can hold up. But yeah, overall, the only exciting thing about Game 3 for me was when they kept hitting big three pointer after big three pointer, most of the regular plays from either team were just "Hey, why isn't Lebron doing *Anything* cool?" and "Yeah, Tin Duncan'll do that to ya"
Forward Three

Postby 432J on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:53 am

to me, the heat are way more "boring" to watch than the spurs.

watching the spurs play isn't boring in the slightest to me because of how well they play as a team. the heat on the other hand, put me to sleep
432J

Postby Forward Three on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:55 am

Weezy wrote:"The Spurs are boring" stereotype is out of date, they aren't. And if they are Miami is every bit as boring then because the teams are very similar to me. The series after game 1 has been awful though, 2 huge blowouts, so I don't blame people for not watching.

Yeah, I've found the Heat to be the epitome of a 'boring team' this postseason, they have hot flashes where suddenly everything clicks and you get this ridiculous blitz but everything outside of that is always just waiting for Lebron to do something - anything - interesting, watching Wade falter and play like crap while whining about everything and then seeing guys like Birdman and Mike Miller suddenly light it up and it's just... really?

It's such lame basketball to watch most of the time, they do have great defensive stretches that are textbook and educational and interesting but so much of this series, the pacers series and even the bulls series were marked by this pall of disinterest and half-efforts until they absolutely 'needed' to do something, then they just turn it up to regular speed and unceremoniously win. Definition of boring.

But because they intercept passing lines they're treated as an exciting and high octane team, so it goes.
Forward Three

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:14 pm

wait..... WHere is all the Heat Nation? I have been told they have the greatest fans in the world. Lebron is the globalistic (yup I made that up) player of the universe with fans even in places with no tv, no power and no idea what Basketball is follow the King and his court.

OK on a real thing... I blame it on the swallow job the announcers do almost everygame that has fans not watching.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:53 pm

You have "the best player in the world" in the Finals vs arguably the best team of the decade...and ratings drop 10+%?

I'm actually really enjoying this series.
Chillbongo

Postby Balance&Options24 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:24 pm

No Lakers, no ratings. take notes Stern.
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby gcclaker on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:28 pm

Chillbongo wrote:You have "the best player in the world" in the Finals vs arguably the best team of the decade...and ratings drop 10+%?

I'm actually really enjoying this series.

Not enough history, intrigue or "sexy" like the 2010 Finals...
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Thenextgreat on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:38 pm

ehh duh...it's the Spurs
Thenextgreat

Postby Chopper on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:57 pm

funny how all the conspiracy nuts were complaining about how the league fixes games so the lakers can win and get ratings. All suddenly disappear when the ratings match up is poor in the Finals. Where's the so called conspiracy now?
Chopper

Postby Weezy on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:01 pm

We'll be back if the refs start giving the Heat extra help to make this series go long when if it might otherwise not. :man1:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:46 pm

:man10:
LTLakerFan

Postby retro_nights on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:12 pm

I think it has to do with the past 2 games being blowouts. If they were close competitive games like the Indy vs Mia series, we would all be watching. When you see a team down 20-30 in the 3rd qtr, you aren't gonna watch.
---
Team lakers
retro_nights

Postby CGrand81 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:01 pm

I've been enjoying this series, been enjoying these playoffs as a whole but I enjoy watching sports, even more so when it's the Finals/World Series/Superbowl.

Could care less who is in it, I'll hate both teams, still have to watch, that's just me though I guess. I love me some sports.
CGrand81

Postby jonnyshevanel on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:06 am

Balance&Options24 wrote:No Lakers, no ratings. take notes Stern.

Yes please rig the NBA for us :freak2:
jonnyshevanel

Return to NBA Discussion