NBA Games Discussion 2013-2014 GAME OF THRONES Edition

Re: NBA Games Discussion 2013-2014 GAME OF THRONES Edition

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:35 pm

wcsoldier81

Postby Helljumper on Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:58 pm

Honestly, if this wasn't against the Heat, I'd probably be a little salty about the Spurs/Duncan catching up with the Lakers/Kobe's legacy.

But the fact that it was against the Heat forced me to put this into perspective and really appreciate this for what it was. If you're a fan of fundamental team basketball, you're happy for the Spurs. Eventually, we will look back on all this and be happy to say that we were fortunate to watch an amazing basketball dynasty. Pop/Duncan/Parker/Gino will go down in the history books, and we got to see them defy the odds and absolutely dominate a more physically gifted team by playing smart team-oriented basketball. I hope we can find some way to miraculously build another championship contender around Kobe so he can finish ahead of TD with 6, but if it doesn't work out that way, it's all good.
Helljumper

Postby v1n5anity on Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:05 pm

I posted this in the LeBron thread, but I'll post it here too:

So here's something I noticed about LeBron:

LeBron quits against Boston multiple games, most notably in a PIVOTAL game 5 (series tied 2-2) when they got blown out by 32 at home. Ends with 15 points on 3-14 shooting (-22). Nice statline the next game but he checked out (knowing that was his last game as a Cavalier). Then he "decides" to go to Miami.

This is where we truly saw on the grand stage that LeBron has issues in pressure moments. He choked in multiple games, most notably games 4-6. Had 8 points in game 4, choked in 4th quarters all series long (see below) where he averaged about 3 points per 4th quarter in the 6 game series. He scored 17 and 21 points in games 5 and 6, respectively, and averaged just 15.3ppg in the last 3 games of the series (lost all 3).

Won championship. This was his year. 100% credit for this one.

Won but got real lucky they didn't lose game 6 down 3-2 and down 5 with just 28.3 seconds left in the game after 2 terrible LeBron turnovers. Was tentative for most of first 6 games. They dared him to shoot and he wasn't confident. Diaw held him to 3-21 shooting in the series when he guarded him. Games 1-3 he was straight scared and clearly took a step back mentally, averaging just 16.7 ppg in the first 3 games. Game 4 Wade carried them but LeBron ended up scoring like 9 points in the last couple minutes of garbage time to pad his stats and end up with more points than Wade. Game 5 he goes 8-22 and lost. Game 6 was pretty bad for most of game (until first half of 4th) and would've ended the series with 2 terrible turnovers and elimination. It was going to be the same story all over again for LeBron. But of course, he got real lucky that Ray Allen saved his a**. He went off in game 7 and all of a sudden we're hearing he's GOAT, and something about Mount Rushmore lol.

Played well first 2 games, showed up for 3 quarters total during games 3-5. Game 3 he shows up for first quarter for 14 points, ends with 22 points with 7 turnovers (-21). All while getting completely owned on defense. Game 4 doesn't show up first half with only 9 points and down 19 (-15) then he scores a meaningless 19 in the 3rd to pad his stats and ends with 28 and 8. Game 5 comes out strong in first quarter had 17-6-1 only 14-4-4 rest of game and couldn't stop the bleeding in the 2nd quarter when Heat as a team scored 11 points and he had just 3.

End result: if Spurs close out game 6 last year as they should've, we're looking at LeBron quitting/choking in multiple games in a series (and these are PIVOTAL games) in 4 of the last 5 years! Including 3 of the last 4 Finals. If the East wasn't so weak, they wouldn't have made the Finals 4 straight years. Have they faced even 1 true contender in the East during the last 4 seasons? I don't believe so.
v1n5anity

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:07 pm

JSM wrote:What do yall think Miami does if Bron flees? I don't see Bosh or Wade leaving that money on the table. They're not going to get anything close to $20m again, especially with their deteriorating play. They would almost enough for a max player, but only six players on the roster. Do you throw that money at a FA and continue to fill the rest of your roster with minimum contracts? They would have to get some offensive fire power -- Stuckey, Bledsoe, or Lowry from the guard spots/Monroe, Amare, or Pau up front. Even with any of those guys, they would instantly drop to the bottom of the Eastern playoff bracket. Or do you try to build a team and stop buying players? Or tank for Jahlil Okafor in next summer's draft?

I say you blow it up honestly. Let it all go. If LeBron leaves you give Wade his farewell contract, maybe let Bosh go if he opts out and you just try to rebuild with young pieces. Go after Monroe. Go after Bledsoe. Go after Stephenson even.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:12 pm

^That sounds like OUR plan.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:52 pm

"LeBron, who do you think should take the biggest pay cut this summer?"

:man10:
Last edited by Battle Tested20 on Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:56 pm

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:^That sounds like OUR plan.

Exactly. Except I think they have more picks than we do and their farewell contract won't be as steep as Kobe's was.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:16 am

Helljumper wrote:Honestly, if this wasn't against the Heat, I'd probably be a little salty about the Spurs/Duncan catching up with the Lakers/Kobe's legacy.

But the fact that it was against the Heat forced me to put this into perspective and really appreciate this for what it was. If you're a fan of fundamental team basketball, you're happy for the Spurs. Eventually, we will look back on all this and be happy to say that we were fortunate to watch an amazing basketball dynasty. Pop/Duncan/Parker/Gino will go down in the history books, and we got to see them defy the odds and absolutely dominate a more physically gifted team by playing smart team-oriented basketball. I hope we can find some way to miraculously build another championship contender around Kobe so he can finish ahead of TD with 6, but if it doesn't work out that way, it's all good.

i felt the same way, a little bitter about duncan and the spurs catching up to kobe and the lakers 5 titles in the last few decades

but the spurs run since '99 has been nothing short of amazing and simply awesome to watch. they define what a team is all about and how chemistry is so important to achieve success. not to mention that their longevity is remarkable. when it's all said and done, these spurs teams of the past decade will go down as some of the greatest teams of all time as will kobe and duncan as two of the all time greats of an era that is nearing an end

the fact that they beat the stupid heat and lebron makes it 10x better though
432J

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:22 am

I don't know. This was the first year IMO that the Spurs were fun to watch. In their previous runs they grind it out on defense, which is boring tv.

I highly doubt that either team makes it to the finals next year. SA expended a ton of energy this year, and Miami needs a mental year off.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby denimPortugal on Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:37 am

I don't like them, but I have to respect them! Spurs :bow:
denimPortugal

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:36 am

I wish we had Pop, he and Phil are the only coaches I've seen adjust as the league changed, and matched it every season.
Jazzygirl205

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:37 am

I wish we had Pop, he and Phil are the only coaches I've seen adjust as the league changed, and matched it every season.
Jazzygirl205

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:09 am

denimPortugal wrote:I don't like them, but I have to respect them! Spurs :bow:

Same for me. But I have to agree with some other posters above, the Spurs offense is a thing of beauty right now. They played some outstanding basketball and it was really fun to watch them destroy the CHEAT.

It was a very good weekend in LA with the Kings winning the Stanley Cup and the CHEAT laying down to the superior Spurs and not achieving the vaunted three peat. Sure we're not Spurs fans here, but we respect the way they play and the brilliance of their front office which has kept them going with excellent scouting and player development. I think Duncan will come back for one more year to defend his title but not sure if he has anything left after that.

Even though it was a horrid year for the Lakers I did find pleasure in my three most disliked current teams going down the drain: the Rockets, the CHEAT and the Paper Clips.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:55 am

Lakerjones wrote:Even though it was a horrid year for the Lakers I did find pleasure in my three most disliked current teams going down the drain: the Rockets, the CHEAT and the Paper Clips.

Watching their demise was fantastic. I felt like a villain in a movie the way I took joy from those guys' failures. It was almost as nice as watching the Lakers actually playing well.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby thkthebest on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:11 am

therealdeal wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:Even though it was a horrid year for the Lakers I did find pleasure in my three most disliked current teams going down the drain: the Rockets, the CHEAT and the Paper Clips.

Watching their demise was fantastic. I felt like a villain in a movie the way I took joy from those guys' failures. It was almost as nice as watching the Lakers actually playing well.

thkthebest

Postby Forward Three on Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:08 am

I can't be salty about the Spurs catching up with the Lakers/Kobe in titles really. All it does is solidify that the Spurs are what the Celtics wish they could be, I'd rather it be SAS than Boston as LA's closest peer in the modern era!
Forward Three

Postby scissors on Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:53 pm

Love the new shirt.

scissors

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:56 pm

I wish that was a Lakers shirt. Damnit.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby scissors on Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:59 pm

I was thinking the same thing when I saw this Doc. LOL. I would of bought this shirt in a heartbeat.
scissors

Postby scissors on Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:04 pm

Now that we got the Lebron not three-peat-ing out of the way, time to focus on more important matters. Kobe getting another ring so he still has more than Duncan.
scissors

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:09 pm

I kind of still want that shirt. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:27 pm

that's great marketing by the Spurs haha
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:39 pm

scissors wrote:Now that we got the Lebron not three-peat-ing out of the way, time to focus on more important matters. Kobe getting another ring so he still has more than Duncan.

After seeing LA go crazy for the Kings victory and then Duncan winning, it just made me want to see Kobe go out with just one more. One for the haters on his way out.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:00 pm

Doc Brown wrote::man10:

I wish that was a Lakers shirt. Damnit.

You know a 16 championship one will come. then those green punks will do one too
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Finwë on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:35 am

v1n5anity wrote:I posted this in the LeBron thread, but I'll post it here too:

So here's something I noticed about LeBron:

LeBron quits against Boston multiple games, most notably in a PIVOTAL game 5 (series tied 2-2) when they got blown out by 32 at home. Ends with 15 points on 3-14 shooting (-22). Nice statline the next game but he checked out (knowing that was his last game as a Cavalier). Then he "decides" to go to Miami.

This is where we truly saw on the grand stage that LeBron has issues in pressure moments. He choked in multiple games, most notably games 4-6. Had 8 points in game 4, choked in 4th quarters all series long (see below) where he averaged about 3 points per 4th quarter in the 6 game series. He scored 17 and 21 points in games 5 and 6, respectively, and averaged just 15.3ppg in the last 3 games of the series (lost all 3).

Won championship. This was his year. 100% credit for this one.

Won but got real lucky they didn't lose game 6 down 3-2 and down 5 with just 28.3 seconds left in the game after 2 terrible LeBron turnovers. Was tentative for most of first 6 games. They dared him to shoot and he wasn't confident. Diaw held him to 3-21 shooting in the series when he guarded him. Games 1-3 he was straight scared and clearly took a step back mentally, averaging just 16.7 ppg in the first 3 games. Game 4 Wade carried them but LeBron ended up scoring like 9 points in the last couple minutes of garbage time to pad his stats and end up with more points than Wade. Game 5 he goes 8-22 and lost. Game 6 was pretty bad for most of game (until first half of 4th) and would've ended the series with 2 terrible turnovers and elimination. It was going to be the same story all over again for LeBron. But of course, he got real lucky that Ray Allen saved his a**. He went off in game 7 and all of a sudden we're hearing he's GOAT, and something about Mount Rushmore lol.

Played well first 2 games, showed up for 3 quarters total during games 3-5. Game 3 he shows up for first quarter for 14 points, ends with 22 points with 7 turnovers (-21). All while getting completely owned on defense. Game 4 doesn't show up first half with only 9 points and down 19 (-15) then he scores a meaningless 19 in the 3rd to pad his stats and ends with 28 and 8. Game 5 comes out strong in first quarter had 17-6-1 only 14-4-4 rest of game and couldn't stop the bleeding in the 2nd quarter when Heat as a team scored 11 points and he had just 3.

End result: if Spurs close out game 6 last year as they should've, we're looking at LeBron quitting/choking in multiple games in a series (and these are PIVOTAL games) in 4 of the last 5 years! Including 3 of the last 4 Finals. If the East wasn't so weak, they wouldn't have made the Finals 4 straight years. Have they faced even 1 true contender in the East during the last 4 seasons? I don't believe so.

Thank you :bow:

Combining a "what have you done for me lately?" mentality with today's star loving media machine resulted in people truly overestimating LeBron's legacy and ignoring his failures.
The guy is an amazing player and should already be considered among the best SFs to ever play the game, but the MJ comparisons, the Mount Rushmore comments, and the notion that he was somehow unquestionably greater than Kobe & other great players were all ridiculous, impulsive and a result of people being blinded by the moment and what media pundits sell..

Something similar is happening with Duncan vs Kobe btw. Timmy has had an AMAZING career, and he shoukd get his recognition, but all of the sudden after this title (and after Kobe being injured and the Lakers being irrelevant) he's become unquestionably greater than Kobe too..
My take on the whole Duncan vs Kobe debate is clear: Kobe is the superior (by far IMO) individual talent, Duncan is the better team player, but the answer to the "who's greater?" question should NOT arise solely from team accomplishments (like number of titles or win %) given that those are ENORMOUSLY dependant on external factors (quality of teammate & coaching talent mostly) but from a understanding (that can derive from no other place than an understanding of the game and of the players' abilities) of who has shown the greater capacity to individually influence a basketball game in his team's favor.
That's where we start breaking down Duncan and Kobe's offensive abilities, their defensive abilities, their consistency, their profficiency and efficiency, their leadership, their clutchness, their bball IQ... and IMO the conclusion that inevitably will arise is that, at the very least, there in fact is a debate to be had, there are arguments in favor of both, and that Duncan definitely ISN'T "unquestionably" greater.

This whole blinded by the moment thing has gotten as far as people tweeting stuff like "MJ - Kareem - Duncan". :freak2:
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion