Whoa. Finwe shows up out of the blue with some heat. :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Re: NBA Games Discussion 2013-2014 GAME OF THRONES Edition

Postby pound4pound1 on Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:05 pm

Doc Brown wrote::man10:

I wish that was a Lakers shirt. Damnit.

if it were a Lakers shirt, you'd have to print on the back too...dont think you can fit all 16 in the front
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby v1n5anity on Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:49 pm

Finwë wrote:
v1n5anity wrote:I posted this in the LeBron thread, but I'll post it here too:

So here's something I noticed about LeBron:

LeBron quits against Boston multiple games, most notably in a PIVOTAL game 5 (series tied 2-2) when they got blown out by 32 at home. Ends with 15 points on 3-14 shooting (-22). Nice statline the next game but he checked out (knowing that was his last game as a Cavalier). Then he "decides" to go to Miami.

This is where we truly saw on the grand stage that LeBron has issues in pressure moments. He choked in multiple games, most notably games 4-6. Had 8 points in game 4, choked in 4th quarters all series long (see below) where he averaged about 3 points per 4th quarter in the 6 game series. He scored 17 and 21 points in games 5 and 6, respectively, and averaged just 15.3ppg in the last 3 games of the series (lost all 3).

Won championship. This was his year. 100% credit for this one.

Won but got real lucky they didn't lose game 6 down 3-2 and down 5 with just 28.3 seconds left in the game after 2 terrible LeBron turnovers. Was tentative for most of first 6 games. They dared him to shoot and he wasn't confident. Diaw held him to 3-21 shooting in the series when he guarded him. Games 1-3 he was straight scared and clearly took a step back mentally, averaging just 16.7 ppg in the first 3 games. Game 4 Wade carried them but LeBron ended up scoring like 9 points in the last couple minutes of garbage time to pad his stats and end up with more points than Wade. Game 5 he goes 8-22 and lost. Game 6 was pretty bad for most of game (until first half of 4th) and would've ended the series with 2 terrible turnovers and elimination. It was going to be the same story all over again for LeBron. But of course, he got real lucky that Ray Allen saved his a**. He went off in game 7 and all of a sudden we're hearing he's GOAT, and something about Mount Rushmore lol.

Played well first 2 games, showed up for 3 quarters total during games 3-5. Game 3 he shows up for first quarter for 14 points, ends with 22 points with 7 turnovers (-21). All while getting completely owned on defense. Game 4 doesn't show up first half with only 9 points and down 19 (-15) then he scores a meaningless 19 in the 3rd to pad his stats and ends with 28 and 8. Game 5 comes out strong in first quarter had 17-6-1 only 14-4-4 rest of game and couldn't stop the bleeding in the 2nd quarter when Heat as a team scored 11 points and he had just 3.

End result: if Spurs close out game 6 last year as they should've, we're looking at LeBron quitting/choking in multiple games in a series (and these are PIVOTAL games) in 4 of the last 5 years! Including 3 of the last 4 Finals. If the East wasn't so weak, they wouldn't have made the Finals 4 straight years. Have they faced even 1 true contender in the East during the last 4 seasons? I don't believe so.

Thank you :bow:

Combining a "what have you done for me lately?" mentality with today's star loving media machine resulted in people truly overestimating LeBron's legacy and ignoring his failures.
The guy is an amazing player and should already be considered among the best SFs to ever play the game, but the MJ comparisons, the Mount Rushmore comments, and the notion that he was somehow unquestionably greater than Kobe & other great players were all ridiculous, impulsive and a result of people being blinded by the moment and what media pundits sell..

Something similar is happening with Duncan vs Kobe btw. Timmy has had an AMAZING career, and he shoukd get his recognition, but all of the sudden after this title (and after Kobe being injured and the Lakers being irrelevant) he's become unquestionably greater than Kobe too..
My take on the whole Duncan vs Kobe debate is clear: Kobe is the superior (by far IMO) individual talent, Duncan is the better team player, but the answer to the "who's greater?" question should NOT arise solely from team accomplishments (like number of titles or win %) given that those are ENORMOUSLY dependant on external factors (quality of teammate & coaching talent mostly) but from a understanding (that can derive from no other place than an understanding of the game and of the players' abilities) of who has shown the greater capacity to individually influence a basketball game in his team's favor.
That's where we start breaking down Duncan and Kobe's offensive abilities, their defensive abilities, their consistency, their profficiency and efficiency, their leadership, their clutchness, their bball IQ... and IMO the conclusion that inevitably will arise is that, at the very least, there in fact is a debate to be had, there are arguments in favor of both, and that Duncan definitely ISN'T "unquestionably" greater.

This whole blinded by the moment thing has gotten as far as people tweeting stuff like "MJ - Kareem - Duncan". :freak2:

Wanted to add the following to my previous post:

Just rewatched quarters 2 and 3 of game 5 of this years Finals. LeBron was pretty tentative once again. Not attacking the defence much, passing the ball around like a hot potato, not posting up, even just standing in the corner on several plays. He had a play where Parker was on him and instead of attacking and looking to score, he was passing it off. This is exactly what I am talking about with LeBron. He did the EXACT same thing in game 4 first half when the game was lost, the he scored a meaningless 19 in the 3rd to pad his stats to 28 and 8. In game 5 after a 17 and 6 first quarter for LeBron, he struggled. Quarters 2 and 3 was where Miami lost control. And that's where LeBron was the least aggressive. From the start of the 2nd quarter until the 1 minute mark left in the 3rd, he scored just 5 points and once again, this is where the game was decided as they went from up 7 to down 22. He has shown up for just 3 quarters TOTAL in the last 3 games, why isn't he getting the blame too? His teammates have failed to show up, but he is definitely not getting enough blame. He has scored his points but they have not come when most needed. And that's where the stats have always lied for LeBron. Even in bad games, his statlines usually look pretty good, you have to watch it to know. How can someone deny what's happening here? Honestly, this guy is still shaken in big moments and when the momentum isn't on their side, he shies away often.

In game 3 of this years finals, after a great first quarter, he was awful on both ends for the rest of the game. Spurs were up 21 at half. Third quarter LeBron subs out when Heat are down 15, they make it a 7 point game before LeBron subs back in when the lead was at 10. Never got below 10 after than and he subbed out late 4th down 17. He literally showed up for 3 of the last 12 quarters in the Finals.
v1n5anity

Postby Congo Cash on Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:11 pm

^Ya, if you didn't watch game 5 and only looked at the boxscore you would say "Oh, LeBron outplayed Leonard since he posted better stats, but he gets no help blah blah blah..." since you didn't get to see his bad D... :man11:

I have never seen someone dropped 30 so easily while being passive at the same time...

This is far cry from Kobe who dropped 38 but still lost to the Celtics in game 5... Now this is one example of trying to win the game even with zero help... Granted it wasn't a blowout but still it was a losing battle (Rondo/Pierce was unstoppable in that game so every if he dropped 50 if didn't matter)...

- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:40 pm

So did the Sperms have their parade? I check in on ESPN from time to time and Im not sure the Sperms won the Championship. I know the King's rally was ignored especially after Tony G died but damn SAS hasn't gotten any love.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Weezy on Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:18 am

I hadn't even thought about it, but you're right, I've seen very little Spurs on ESPN. The biggest thing I saw was them talking about Durant's tweets on Leonard. I know they covered Gwynn's death a ton (and rightly so IMO) and it took time from a lot of other stuff, but I have to believe had the Heat won they still would have found time to throw them a party. Even in loss they found time to have Windhorst on to talk LeBron, more than I've seen talk of Duncan, the guy who just got his 5th ring. Had the Heat won, half of SportsCenter would have been about how LeBron was now better than Kobe ever was and that he's approaching Jordan.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:38 am

Wade's reaction is hilarious. Watch from about 3:45.

blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby v1n5anity on Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:00 am

Congo Cash wrote:^Ya, if you didn't watch game 5 and only looked at the boxscore you would say "Oh, LeBron outplayed Leonard since he posted better stats, but he gets no help blah blah blah..." since you didn't get to see his bad D... :man11:

I have never seen someone dropped 30 so easily while being passive at the same time...

This is far cry from Kobe who dropped 38 but still lost to the Celtics in game 5... Now this is one example of trying to win the game even with zero help... Granted it wasn't a blowout but still it was a losing battle (Rondo/Pierce was unstoppable in that game so every if he dropped 50 if didn't matter)...

It wasn't a blowout because Kobe kept it from being one. In the 3rd, Lakers were down around 9 or 10 points pretty much the entire quarter. With the way the other Lakers were playing, could you imagine what would have happened had Kobe not come out with that aggressiveness and mindset? What if he was tentative like LeBron? It would've been a 20+ point blowout. He gave them a chance to actually steal that game. That's the difference. LeBron could have prevented the blowout in games 4 and 5 and didn't step up. People always say Kobe shoots too much but he does it when nothing else is working, and that's the right thing to do.
v1n5anity

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:13 am

Weezy wrote:I hadn't even thought about it, but you're right, I've seen very little Spurs on ESPN. The biggest thing I saw was them talking about Durant's tweets on Leonard. I know they covered Gwynn's death a ton (and rightly so IMO) and it took time from a lot of other stuff, but I have to believe had the Heat won they still would have found time to throw them a party. Even in loss they found time to have Windhorst on to talk LeBron, more than I've seen talk of Duncan, the guy who just got his 5th ring. Had the Heat won, half of SportsCenter would have been about how LeBron was now better than Kobe ever was and that he's approaching Jordan.

It really is absolutely crazy to see how specifically biased these shows are right now. It's Lebron, Johnny Football and occasionally the KC Royals who are on a sick run of late. There was little mention of the King's historic run or parade in LA bringing another banner to Staples. Just for those reading that don't know the King's (LA that is) was it was:
- 3 consecutive game 7 wins on the road (1st time in history)
- 1st team to overcome 0-3 deficit in the first round, win the game 7 on the road AND win the Stanley cup
- Tied NHL most games played 26 to win the cup
- Defeated the defending champs (Blackhawks) in Chicago game 7 in OT after trailing by 2 goals 3 different times.
- won first two games of Finals (gm1 OT, gm2 2OT) having never lead the game until OT game winning goals
- Won 3 straight OT games
-Won 3 OT games in Finals including cup clinching game 2 single OT games and 1 2OT game
-Won 10 of 11 series in the past 3 playoffs (only losing to eventual champs Blackhawks last season)
- Played 64 playoff games in 3 years (NHL record)
- First team since 98 (Detroit) to win 2 cups in a 3 year span
and on and on and on...... (Can you imagine if this was the Heat :man4: )

The run was amazing yet the main sports news spent the day talking Lebron. If it wasn't for NHL TV and Foxsports in LA I don't think anyone would know the city of Angels has a new champion. Now the Spurs get the same treatment. I know I beat this horse like I need glue but it is still a damn shame.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby v1n5anity on Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:56 am

Doc posted the following video in the LeBron thread, but it proves what I have been arguing:

v1n5anity

Postby Finwë on Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:57 am

therealdeal wrote:Whoa. Finwe shows up out of the blue with some heat. :man10:

:man10:
It's just something that's been on my mind recently.. and I don't really have people that know NBA basketball around me that much
I missed the forum lol
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:37 pm

Finwë wrote:

It's just something that's been on my mind recently.. and I don't really have people that know NBA basketball around me that much
I missed the forum lol

We miss you around here man, your insight is always welcome. :bow: :jam2:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:12 pm

No sliders, no curves...just fastballs down the pike. :man1:

Read in the Times today, looks like the Spurs will have nearly everyone back. All five [?] free agents including Duncan are expected to make another run together.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby thkthebest on Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:34 pm

thkthebest

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:22 pm

There is like very ,little Spurs appreciation on ESPN. I mean I did read where most analyst, in the 90% range, and GM's picked Miami. First time I seen the majority overwhelmingly pick an underdog. So maybe the peeps are a little down and out about the outcome. I mean they have a heat index for Pete's sake.
Jazzygirl205

Postby gill on Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:41 pm

gill

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:49 pm

I was just going to post this. :man10:

That is classic! lol
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Finwë on Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:00 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Finwë wrote:

I missed the forum lol

:jam2:
Thanks, real!
I really want to be a little be more active, I kind of forgot about how interesting the forum was.. Got really distracted and forgot to check in for weeks.
I see it remains as cool as ever, you guys are doing a great job (btw, I wanna be a part of the next competition you guys get going! the all-time draft thing looks truly fun)
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Finwë on Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:03 pm

lol I didn't know Pop had that in him

Also, great vid thkthebest.. Watching the Spurs has gotten more and more fun. Ginobili elevating his play and Diaw getting big minutes (he's just so awesome) made them very exciting to watch for me, I just love that type of basketball
Finwë

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:06 pm

thkthebest wrote:

Thank you for posting this! Gives me goosebumps.

Really glad someone out there made this video because I think all NBA fans need to watch this. You don't have to like the Spurs, but you should respect their organization for playing the game the right way. There are many ways to win and be successful in this league, but not all of them are as pretty as the Spurs ball movement.

I was glad Magic sort of compared this passing to his days working Showtime because I wasn't born when Magic was doing his thing and even thought there is video of it that I have watched its not quite like seeing it in person on TV like I did with this Spurs team during the Playoffs and Finals.

Great stuff..
Battle Tested20

Postby Ras Algethi on Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:22 am

Congo Cash wrote:^Ya, if you didn't watch game 5 and only looked at the boxscore you would say "Oh, LeBron outplayed Leonard since he posted better stats, but he gets no help blah blah blah..." since you didn't get to see his bad D... :man11:

Kobe is just a different beast. As great as Lebron is, he doenst have and will never have Kobe's drive, determination, and mental approach.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:47 am

Finwë wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
Finwë wrote:

I missed the forum lol

Thanks, real!
I really want to be a little be more active, I kind of forgot about how interesting the forum was.. Got really distracted and forgot to check in for weeks.
I see it remains as cool as ever, you guys are doing a great job (btw, I wanna be a part of the next competition you guys get going! the all-time draft thing looks truly fun)

I think Kobe Bryant 8 is going to run something else after this one! Jump into the thread to find out some more info!
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:59 pm

SA was the perfect storm this year, just like Dallas in 2011. I sincerely doubt they play this well next year.

Kawhi and Boris were their secret weapons, when everyone was concentrating on Tony, Timmy, and Baldy. I thought as well that Boris and Kawhi were great in the WCF because of match ups. But the reality is that

A) next year the scouting report will be out, and

B) they are effective because the big 3 were effective. If they slip or are injured next year, the less effective big 3 will allow more attention to Kawhi and Boris.

Not saying SA won't be good next year, just that it will be hard to repeat.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:07 pm

^^^ Bust out the flip flops.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:29 am

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:SA was the perfect storm this year, just like Dallas in 2011. I sincerely doubt they play this well next year.

See I disagree, because the kind of offense they run isn't really that labor in intensive. Its a lot of passing and moving without the ball to create the ideal floor spacing. I forget the stat but nobody on the spurs played over 30 mins or something in the regular season. And if Kwahi can keep up anything he showed in games 3, 4, and 5 for next year that could be the added difference.

I'm not saying they are a lot for the 1 or 2 seed, but there system is too oiled up just to go away like that.
Battle Tested20

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion