NBA Groupies (Anonymous Article by an NBA Player)

NBA Groupies (Anonymous Article by an NBA Player)

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:23 pm

Not that long ago, The Mag's NFL Player X (whoever he is) estimated that 30 percent of married NFL players cheat on their wives. I was surprised to hear it was that low. In the NBA, I think it's closer to 60 percent. When you get a bunch of young, rich guys together, infidelity can be contagious. It's like high school -- the young guys watch the older players to see how things are done.

Respected vets like Kevin Ollie or Derek Fisher set good examples, though, for guys across the NBA. There are a lot of players who stick in this league for way longer than they should because they're family men who keep rookies in check. They'll call you out on your dumb mistakes. I know the vets I played with early on helped keep me straight. They'd warn me off the groupies who'd been going after NBA players for years.

I've had girls approach me at the hardware store and act like they didn't know who I was. I've been followed at the mall. There are groupies who hang around my neighborhood trying to bump into me on the street. They don't care if I'm married or not.

The whole thing seems innocent but most often it's not. We're talking about strangers here, who are following us. Fall in love with the wrong one, and you can end up trapped, with a child you never expected or a wife you weren't ready for. People ask me all the time how many of the women I meet are looking for a ring. I have to assume it's all of them, because I've never met a groupie who was in it just to have fun. Those girls take the long view, and it's not always about love.

Look at what happened with Dirk last year. He fell for a groupie, gave the girl an engagement ring, only to find out she was a criminal. The situation blew up right during the playoffs, so his teammates ended up answering questions about the woman when they were trying to focus on the Nuggets. It's not good when those problems trickle into the locker room.

Trades have been arranged because one woman is involved with two guys on the same team. That's what happened in Dallas some years ago. And right now I know of one girl who is dating two NBA players. One makes her car payments, and the other pays her rent. They don't know about each other, but they do share a money manager who's writing both checks. It's bound to blow up at some point.

Truth is, NBA players are easy targets. We're not like most guys, who can meet a nice girl at work or at a barbecue. We are recognized and treated differently pretty much everywhere we go. Most of us have grown up in an environment where we've been given whatever we wanted, so a woman approaching us suggestively seems normal. Sadly, all you usually have to do to get an NBA guy for a night is smile and make it clear you're willing to go home with him. Especially if he's single.

As for the married guys, it's not that hard for a groupie to get with one of them, either. They're like regular dudes in corporate America who travel a lot, except they have more money and more opportunities to cheat. They don't get caught because they keep it on the road, calling their wives all the time to check in. (It doesn't always go smoothly. I've overheard plenty of dudes fight with their wives over the phone about their activities.) It gets to the point where you see teammates doing it so much that young guys assume having a woman on the road and a wife at home is just part of the NBA lifestyle.

In fact, I would guess that 50 percent of NBA wives actually started out as groupies. And a lot of those women are realistic about the scene their spouses are in. They take a "don't ask, don't tell" approach. They will say something like, "Don't embarrass me by getting caught." It's not that they like the situation, but they understand the circumstances. After all, it wasn't that long ago that they were in those same clubs looking to get with a professional athlete, no matter how many tries it took.

Honestly, with all the pitfalls and temptation, sometimes I wonder why young players even get married. They should follow Derek Jeter's example. No one criticizes his lifestyle because he doesn't have a wife at home wondering what he's up to. He's just a young, rich pro who enjoys being the king of New York. He'll settle down when the time is right. NBA guys should take note.

http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/blog ... id=5027839
Kobe8Fan

Re: NBA Groupies (Anonymous Article by an NBA Player)

Postby lakefansac on Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:41 pm

Not suprising since rich and powerful people will have sex with as many people as they can. But its more funny watching the South Park episode "Sexual Healing" aka the Tiger Woods episode in order to get the same message as the article.
lakefansac

Postby bruce bowens foot on Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:01 pm

Well the one bangin Shaq and Arenas sure isn't starving
bruce bowens foot

Postby Basketball Fan on Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:24 pm

Sounds rather accurate except I think the cheating is way higher than 60 percent in the NBA.

That being said I agree they should all be like Jeter and not bother being married. I mean why?
Basketball Fan

Postby Sirron on Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:34 pm

Tough lifestyle to live and be monogamous. I'm sure it's a challenge for the best of them.
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby TKainZero on Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:26 pm

Nice article.

Now, who wrote it?
All the refrneces to Dallas, i have to think it was a former Dallas player, who is no longer with the team, who was on the team several years ago. That the only way i can fathom that he would find out about 2 players having the same girl.

So, i figured I would compile a list of Dallas Mavericks over the last 5 seasons.
And, when looking over the list, and then comparing to what was said in the article, i connected these dots.
Trades have been arranged because one woman is involved with two guys on the same team. That's what happened in Dallas some years ago

With this tidbit about the 2004-2005 NBA season for the Mavs.
Prior to the start of the 2004-2005 season, the Mavericks once again underwent several major roster changes. In three separate trades, the Mavericks acquired Jerry Stackhouse, the #5 overall draft pick that netted rookie point guard Devin Harris, Jason Terry, Alan Henderson, and Erick Dampier. In obtaining these players, the Mavs parted ways with Antawn Jamison, Antoine Walker, Tony Delk, and Eduardo Najera, while also losing point guard Steve Nash in free agency.

Enter suspect number 1 for the NBA player who was traded because 2 teammates had the same groupie.
Antoine Walker.

Thats all for now.
100 people see fire.
99 start screaming and getting hysterical over all the smoke.
I start looking for the cause.

Concern yourselves with the Problems, not the Symptoms.
TKainZero

Postby strikemode14 on Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:27 pm

Trades have been arranged because one woman is involved with two guys on the same team. That's what happened in Dallas some years ago. And right now I know of one girl who is dating two NBA players. One makes her car payments, and the other pays her rent. They don't know about each other, but they do share a money manager who's writing both checks. It's bound to blow up at some point.

That part was the most interesting in the article.

Wow that's a GM would have to trade a player b/c there was a love triangle. Very interesting insight
Strikemode14 is the greatest.

http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou

]
strikemode14
Forum Manager

Postby gcclaker on Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:19 pm

The mention of the two Dallas players and one gal could be the Jason Kidd-Toni Braxton-Jim Jackson love triangle.
Nor can the Lakers get blamed for always making the right decisions over decades. At some point its not just luck or "gamble", its superior management and superior ownership.
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Barnstable on Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:32 am

Good to hear that Fish isn't one out there cheating on his wife.

I'm really surprised we don't hear about more incidents like Kobe in Colorado. Seems like so many NBA players would be ripe for that kind of extortion the way they sleep around.

And Kevin Ollie's still in the league? :man3:
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Basketball Fan on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:56 pm

That's because most of them either

1) Go to professionals(ones how have been around and know the deal and thus keep their trap shut)

2) Pay the amount and actually don't have to be "silenced"
Basketball Fan

Postby D.B. Cooper on Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:22 pm

Kobe had to go and cheat with the ugliest groupie of them all. :bang:
D.B. Cooper

Postby gninerfan21 on Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:51 am

Lebron was smart about it. He knocked up some chick he liked to have kids but isn't commited to her(only the children).
gninerfan21

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:31 am

Indeed ,the life of a NBA player is really tough ... GTFO
wcsoldier81

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:45 am

Indeed ,the life of a NBA player is really tough ... GTFO
wcsoldier81

Postby Basketball Fan on Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:05 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:Indeed ,the life of a NBA player is really tough ... GTFO

I don't think he's saying its rough but its not a normal existence I mean how do you know if someone wants you or your paycheck?
Basketball Fan

Postby ChuckTheD on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:17 am

D.B. Cooper wrote:Kobe had to go and cheat with the ugliest groupie of them all. :bang:

You really think Kobe's only infidelity came the one time he got caught? Come on man. He and Tiger used to hang out for a reason.
ChuckTheD

Postby GinoDB on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:51 am

hmm wonder who wrote it , the writing is decent so that rules out a bunch of player right there, second there are mentions of Ollie / Fisher / Dallas. now Fisher is well known but Ollie isn't so it has to be someone that has played with him and maybe Dallas also

I checked and Ollie was in Dallas for 1997-1998 and Michael Finley and Kurt Thomas were on the team so maybe its one of them
GinoDB

Return to NBA Discussion