NBA wants faster start to games

Postby Balance&Options24 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:56 am

Updated: October 17, 2012, 2:24 PM ET
By Brian Windhorst | ESPN.com

NEW YORK -- The NBA is taking steps to cut down on pregame handshakes and rituals that have become popular with players in recent years. Starting this season, as soon as player introductions are finished, there will be 90 seconds put on the game clock, and teams will be expected to be ready for tipoff after that time.

I personally don't like it. Every player in this league has routines they do with their teammates, rituals they do before the game and before they walk on the floor. The fans enjoy it.
” -- Kevin Durant

The guideline will eliminate or severely cut down on the routines that players from most teams go through before games, which often include a series of handshakes with their own teammates before greeting opponents. It also could legislate out individual rituals like LeBron James' famous chalk toss, which he abandoned last season during the playoffs, though James said he'll try to get it done in the limited time.

"I won't change it, I'll be able to work it in," James said. "We'll figure it out."

Over the years, as the elaborate handshakes and other routines have become extended -- for example, Shaquille O'Neal famously created teamwide skits acted out before Phoenix Suns games three seasons ago -- games have routinely taken five minutes or longer to begin after the starting lineups were announced. The NBA is attempting to speed up the start of games.

Players have been advised of the initiative during the annual meetings with referees in the preseason as part of the league's "points of emphasis."

There's so many rules, I can't keep up. ... There's no reason to make a big stink. It's their league, it's their rules."
” -- Dwyane Wade

"There's a 90-second countdown, it is placed on the clock," NBA spokesman Tim Frank said. "At 30 seconds, there's a warning horn and alert by the refs. At the end, teams need to be ready to tip off or face a delay-of-game warning."

Two delay-of-game warnings would result in a technical foul.

Players around the league are already reacting negatively to the new policy.

"I personally don't like it," Oklahoma City Thunder star Kevin Durant told The Oklahoman. "Every player in this league has routines they do with their teammates, rituals they do before the game and before they walk on the floor. The fans enjoy it. You see the fans mimicking the guys who do their stuff before the game. To cut that down really don't make no sense."

The Miami Heat's Dwyane Wade is one of the league's most active players before tipoff, usually greeting fans on all four sides of the arena, doing pull-ups on the rim and having a series of handshake routines. He said he'll have to adjust to the new rules.

"I'll have to take something away for sure. I'm always going to make sure I show love to the fans," Wade said Wednesday in Miami. "There's so many rules, I can't keep up. ... There's no reason to make a big stink. It's their league, it's their rules."

ESPN.com Miami Heat writer Tom Haberstroh contributed to this report.

No more pre-game hijinx.
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Re: NBA wants faster start to games

Postby XXIV on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:15 pm

Not a big deal for us, or players don't really do anything out of the ordinary that takes a lot of time. Usually it's just a high five, or w/e. It'll be the Heat who will be affected the most by this.
XXIV

Postby Weezy on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:23 pm

So they want games for example to start at 7:35 instead of 7:38 or 7:39? Come on that's silly, is this the NBA or the No Fun League? Who do these pre-game rituals hurt, the fans? Doubt they even pay attention.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Kasumi on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:41 pm

It's wasted time, as far as the NBA is concerned. There is no game play but they can't cut away to commercials. Really sad and petty, IMHO.
ImageImage

"Basketball reasons" is as believable coming from Mitch Kupchak as it was coming from David Stern. #IWantedPhil
Kasumi
ClubSpurs.com Administrator

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:21 pm

we dont really see most of that if we're watching on tv...they usually just cut right into the tipoff
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:43 pm

Eh.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:06 pm

When do I get to see, "NBA moves early game tip off ahead 15 minutes, so that it doesn't cut off the start of the late games and fans miss the opening tip and 1st quarter....."
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:24 pm

Brian Windhorst ‏@WindhorstESPN

Kings called for delay of game tonight for violating NBA's new 90-second rule for pregame handshakes/routines according to reporters at game
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Kasumi on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:34 pm

Doc Brown wrote:When do I get to see, "NBA moves early game tip off ahead 15 minutes, so that it doesn't cut off the start of the late games and fans miss the opening tip and 1st quarter....."

+1
ImageImage

"Basketball reasons" is as believable coming from Mitch Kupchak as it was coming from David Stern. #IWantedPhil
Kasumi
ClubSpurs.com Administrator

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:50 pm

Doc Brown wrote:When do I get to see, "NBA moves early game tip off ahead 15 minutes, so that it doesn't cut off the start of the late games and fans miss the opening tip and 1st quarter....."

No kidding. With the back to backers we almost always get screwed out of the start & first few minutes of the 2nd game unless we have local or now TWC coverage.
LTLakerFan

Return to NBA Discussion