Nets GM, Billy King: Deron Urged 'Don't Wait On Dwight'

Nets GM, Billy King: Deron Urged 'Don't Wait On Dwight'

Postby Kobe8Fan on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:26 am

By Mike Mazzeo | Special to ESPNNewYork.com

After re-signing with the Brooklyn Nets in July, point guard Deron Williams told general manager Billy King not to wait and see whether he could acquire Dwight Howard.

"One thing Deron did say to me, he said, 'Please, just don't wait on Dwight. We can't wait and not have a team,'" King said during the premiere of NBA TV's "The Association: Brooklyn Nets," which will air on Oct. 16.

"The team of Brooklyn is bigger than one person. I owed it to the organization, I owed it to our fans, I owed it to Deron and the players that we have to build for Brooklyn, and we went forward and built our team."

King was relentless in his pursuit of Howard, at one point offering center Brook Lopez, power forward Kris Humphries, shooting guard MarShon Brooks and four first-round picks to the Orlando Magic for the franchise player.

The Magic rejected the offer and ultimately dealt their big man to the Los Angeles Lakers in a blockbuster trade.

King, in a $330 million roster overhaul, brought in nine new players -- highlighted by his acquisition of shooting guard Joe Johnson -- while retaining Williams, Lopez, Humphries and small forward Gerald Wallace.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_ ... ght-howard
Kobe8Fan

Re: Nets GM, Billy King: Deron Urged 'Don't Wait On Dwight'

Postby KB24 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:00 am

I still have no idea what Orlando wanted....at the end they got shafted by the Lakers and 76ers.

I can't believe they chose Harrington and Afflalo.... :freak2:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby gcclaker on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:22 am

^They still have Brook Lopez who is currently one of the two best centers in The League along with Bynum...according to SOME ex-player.

:man1:
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:43 am

I came here to post about how much I respect Billy for trying so hard...

but we got Dwight. Still one of those "Holy crap" thoughts in my mind.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:10 am

Orlando got what they wanted. No long term max contract and multiple draft picks. They didn't want Lopez
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:43 am

Thanks for the assist, Deron
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby gill on Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:24 pm

Thanks Deron! :man1:
gill

Postby KB24 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:20 pm

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:Orlando got what they wanted. No long term max contract and multiple draft picks. They didn't want Lopez

hmmm....makes no sense to me. Then they could have taken Humphries, Brooks and 4 first round picks. Any how you turn it, even only 4 first round picks would have been better than Harrington and Afflalo who BTW both have longterm deals.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby thkthebest on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:14 pm

KB24 wrote:
KareemTheGreat33 wrote:Orlando got what they wanted. No long term max contract and multiple draft picks. They didn't want Lopez

hmmm....makes no sense to me. Then they could have taken Humphries, Brooks and 4 first round picks. Any how you turn it, even only 4 first round picks would have been better than Harrington and Afflalo who BTW both have longterm deals.

I think the Nets/Magic deal was basically done, but I think the Orlando Magic's FO backed out of the trade after they found out that the Nets organization and Dwight talked illegally. Basically, that ruined any chances of a trade happening between the two.

After that, rather than being patient, the Nets started making a series of dumb moves, which ultimately killed their chances of getting Dwight.
thkthebest

Postby noobiew on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:31 am

"Come on Billy don't wait for Dwight, fast go get Joe Johnson instead !"
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:53 pm

KB24 wrote:

Well there's a couple points:
1. That trade allowed Orlando to get a fancy 17 million dollar TPE. The same type of TPE that we used to get Nash, they now have one that's twice as big. That's a huge rebuilding piece.

2. Lopez would be your big man on a MAX contract because that was the only way to make the salaries work. If you're Orlando you look at that and laugh. Lopez, gimpy foot and no rebounding and all, for the max when we could just go get Andrew Bynum? No way. Yes Harrington and Afflalo are on longer term contracts, but they're far more managable in size than Lopez's.

And if you get that trade done for those picks, those picks are worth nothing. Sure, the ones they got from the other teams are worth just barely more, but the other positives outweight those draft picks. There's more of a chance of Philadelphia with Bynum or Denver with Iguodala doing worse than the top 3 seed in the East than a Dwight/Williams combo for the next 6 years.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Return to NBA Discussion