Nets not getting along

Nets not getting along

Postby JSM on Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:44 pm

This is not good news for the Nets. Zo and K-Mart aren't exactly getting along and got into it at practice yesterday.

New York Times: After a draining practice session, Alonzo Mourning and half of the Nets team, mostly second-unit players, were making their way through the final strides of a set of suicide drills, punishment for losing a contest to the rest of the team Thursday at the Champion Center, the team's practice facility. As Mourning trudged to the finish behind his teammates, already unhappy, he heard laughter from the players who were watching.

Mourning snapped in reaction to the frustration of the drills, the team's troubles on the court and the cavalier attitude he has perceived during the Nets' 5-6 start this season. Mourning stalked over to where the players were laughing and, in a profanity-laden diatribe, shouted in part: "This ain't funny. This is about winning."

Richard Jefferson, a third-year forward who was one of the players who were laughing, told Mourning that indeed it wasn't funny, it was "hilarious."

When Kenyon Martin, a fourth-year forward, jumped in by mocking Mourning's recent performance on the court and commenting that Mourning would not have to run if he would improve his rebounding, Mourning attacked Martin's leadership and toughness.

Mourning told Martin: "At least I'm out there on the court, not in the training room. I'm trying to make the best of my time."

"You can't be a leader in the trainer's room crying, `My ankle, my ankle,' " Mourning added, referring to the sprained ankle that sidelined Martin for five games. Martin responded by mocking Mourning, muttering, "My kidney, my kidney."

Mourning did not immediately react to that comment. But when the players separated into groups for the next part of practice, he suddenly charged toward Martin before being restrained by teammates as he yelled, using more profanity: "What did you say about my kidney? Don't talk about my kidney. I'll put you on your back."

Teammates halted Mourning and kept him and Martin from getting close enough to come to blows. Meanwhile, Coach Byron Scott, who had watched from the far side of the court as the altercation began, stepped in front of Martin and spoke calmly to him.

The practice then resumed with Mourning and Martin not speaking to each other. The Nets' vice president for public relations, Gary Sussman, said later that neither player would be available to reporters.

Mourning had voiced his displeasure on Wednesday with the team's work ethic and attentiveness.

"I didn't expect it to be like this," Mourning, who has never played in the N.B.A. finals, said on Wednesday in reference to the Nets, the Eastern Conference champions the past two seasons. "I thought we'd come out strong and give more effort. Some guys work their whole careers and never get a chance to go to the finals."

Asked if he would have signed with the Nets if he knew how they would approach the beginning of this season, Mourning said, "Don't know."

"The guys were getting along great," said Thorn, who indicated that neither player would be punished. "Whatever happened in practice is part of practice. There was obviously no carryover. Everyone was in a festive mood and there were no problems at all."

Scott said that such heated exchanges do not happen often.

"I don't know if it's once a year; it's not once a week," he said. "It's not once a year, either. I'm not upset about it."
User avatar
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator
 
Posts: 94033
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:40 pm
Location: Atlanta

Postby BDG on Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:05 am

Good find jsm... that is pretty "hilarious" :man10:
Image
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
User avatar
BDG
Retired Admin
 
Posts: 40952
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:45 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:20 am

Was just about to post this....I'm happy my fellow News staffer beat me to it....but this really can lead to more trade rumors for Kenyon Martin again....I just have this feeling that the Nets will not retain him for next year, since he wants the max allowed and the Nets don't want to give it to him. Look for more rumors surrounding Kenyon Martin....
Image
User avatar
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 13008
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:38 am
Location: Anywhere Purple & Gold

Postby BDG on Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:25 am

I doubt they'll trade K-Mart over Alonzo. Zo hasn't been playing too well this season and K-Mart has a nice future ahead of him.
Image
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
User avatar
BDG
Retired Admin
 
Posts: 40952
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:45 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:54 pm

But BDG...this is technically a contract year for K-mart....he could choose to opt out....sure if he wants to get paid he will stay with the Nets, but if the Nets feel he will just walk away and sign for less with another team at the end of the season, then we are really talking about the Nets considering a trade....

Its kinda like the Kobe situation, except Dr. Buss has come out and say that he will not trade away his "son".......I haven't heard anyone from Nets management say that about K-mart...in fact it was K-mart that diffused all the trade talk before the season started, not management.
Image
User avatar
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 13008
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:38 am
Location: Anywhere Purple & Gold

Postby FabFourLakers on Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:48 pm

Wow K-mart has guts standin up to Zo...that shows how much respect the young players have for Zo...that is tragic...i hope tha nets fail cuz i dont like seeing them win it every year in tha east...its time tha sixers take tha cake!!

First off ZO should be starting and playing more for tha nets....i dont like tha way they've used him, thats why they're 5-6, if u buy out mutumbo and give mourning like less than 20 mpg, you are GOING to lose with collins as ur starting center! I mean tha whole eastern conference is struggling, but tha central division is KILLING tha atlantic this year, teams like tha pacers hornets and pistons are way ahead of tha nets sixers and celtics...
User avatar
FabFourLakers

 
Posts: 11764
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:47 pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:59 pm

Well here is what Zo had to say today about what happened yesterday:
"Every day we always joke around and trash talk," Mourning said after the Nets practiced Friday. "That's part of the league. It really was nothing. I didn't hear him say anything. We have to have camaraderie and be able to joke around and say things to each other. But nothing happened."


The rest of this article can be found at ESPN.com
Image
User avatar
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 13008
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:38 am
Location: Anywhere Purple & Gold

Postby FabFourLakers on Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:31 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:Well here is what Zo had to say today about what happened yesterday:
"Every day we always joke around and trash talk," Mourning said after the Nets practiced Friday. "That's part of the league. It really was nothing. I didn't hear him say anything. We have to have camaraderie and be able to joke around and say things to each other. But nothing happened."


The rest of this article can be found at ESPN.com


wtf? so they were jus joking? haha whatever they are jus tryin to cover it up...when tha nets start out 5-6, u KNOW theres problems...
User avatar
FabFourLakers

 
Posts: 11764
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:47 pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Postby lakerchris2004 on Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:08 pm

K mart needs to step back and realize what he said. Zo's kidney problems were/are life threatening!!! Thats not stuff to joke about. He is still working his way back. For a guy who took last year off he is doing pretty well so far. Zo has always seemed like a guy that you would want on your team. K mart can't even imagine the stuff that Zo has gone through. He needs to check himself.
"Throw it down son!!!"- Bill Walton
User avatar
lakerchris2004

 
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:37 pm
Location: Los Angeles/Santa Barbara, CA

Postby JSM on Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:38 pm

I think at first, they probably were just kidding around and getting out some of their feelings and frustrations out at the same time..and when Zo was making fun of K-Mart for sitting out it got on his nerves a bit, so he came right back at him about Zo's kidney problems (something very sensitive to him) and they probably exchanged some words and it got a little heated.

I think the main reasons for it was both are frustrated about the teams winning %, every has high expectations of them and expects them to make it to the finals again, and two strong willed players will have their disagreements from time to time
User avatar
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator
 
Posts: 94033
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:40 pm
Location: Atlanta

Postby Kobe834 on Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:38 pm

The Nets' dealted chemistry is what made them 2 time defendin eastern conference champions. Without chemistry, they're nothin'. Believe me.
Image
User avatar
Kobe834

 
Posts: 2894
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:18 pm
Location: Lakersfield, CA: 166.6 Miles From Staples

Postby SWOL on Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:45 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:Wow K-mart has guts standin up to Zo...that shows how much respect the young players have for Zo...that is tragic...i hope tha nets fail cuz i dont like seeing them win it every year in tha east...its time tha sixers take tha cake!!

First off ZO should be starting and playing more for tha nets....i dont like tha way they've used him, thats why they're 5-6, if u buy out mutumbo and give mourning like less than 20 mpg, you are GOING to lose with collins as ur starting center! I mean tha whole eastern conference is struggling, but tha central division is KILLING tha atlantic this year, teams like tha pacers hornets and pistons are way ahead of tha nets sixers and celtics...


BECAUSE OF HIS KIDNEY DISORDER THEY LIMIT HIM TO 20MMIN PER GAME ON PURPOSE THEY ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO PLAY HIM MORE THAN THAT
Image
User avatar
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest
 
Posts: 13197
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:13 am
Location: Where Brooklyn at?

Postby FabFourLakers on Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:55 am

swolswol wrote:
FabFourLakers wrote:Wow K-mart has guts standin up to Zo...that shows how much respect the young players have for Zo...that is tragic...i hope tha nets fail cuz i dont like seeing them win it every year in tha east...its time tha sixers take tha cake!!

First off ZO should be starting and playing more for tha nets....i dont like tha way they've used him, thats why they're 5-6, if u buy out mutumbo and give mourning like less than 20 mpg, you are GOING to lose with collins as ur starting center! I mean tha whole eastern conference is struggling, but tha central division is KILLING tha atlantic this year, teams like tha pacers hornets and pistons are way ahead of tha nets sixers and celtics...


BECAUSE OF HIS KIDNEY DISORDER THEY LIMIT HIM TO 20MMIN PER GAME ON PURPOSE THEY ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO PLAY HIM MORE THAN THAT


I thot he was goin to be starting! they said his kidney problem is not an issue this season...i think hes ABLE to play ATLEAST 30 mpg i mean COME ON...why did they sign him in tah 1st place? They shoulda kept Deke...
User avatar
FabFourLakers

 
Posts: 11764
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:47 pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Postby Bulls Fan on Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:43 pm

zo should have regulated on martin. i would have knoccced his blocc off.
The ONLY Bulls Fan
Image
User avatar
Bulls Fan
Clublakers Rep: Bulls
 
Posts: 1209
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:49 pm
Location: Southern California

Postby rydjorker121 on Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:03 pm

really, Martin deserves a chance in terms of SKILL in NJ, I say NJ should try to keep him a little while longer until they can't stand him anymore...the NETs love Zo and think he can really contribute one day even with his fallen kidney
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff
 
Posts: 7038
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:10 pm
Location: Los Angeles


Return to NBA Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.