Nets owner expects title within 2-3 years

Nets owner expects title within 2-3 years

Postby KB24 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:10 am

Brooklyn Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov's goal remains winning a championship, and the confident Russian expects that to happen soon.

"Every team has a grand plan, and we're moving slowly, step by step, because it's easy to make a strong team, but it's very difficult to make a championship team," Prokhorov told reporters Friday after a ribbon-cutting, ceremonial opening of the $1 billion Barclays Center in downtown Brooklyn. "We are on the right way and I'm expecting our championship within two or three years."

Prokhorov promised a title with five years when he bought the team in 2009, so his plan remains on schedule.

"He said five, so we're down to two and a half. To me, it's a great goal," Nets general manager Billy King told reporters. "I'd rather him say that than say, 'Hopefully we're going to win a championship at some point.' That's the goal, and I look forward to the challenge."

The Nets haven't made the playoffs since the 2006-07 season, and have gone 58-172 over the past three seasons. Prokhorov allowed the team to spend to keep point guard Deron Williams and sign shooting guard Joe Johnson.

"For me there is only one place: No. 1," Prokhorov said. "And I'll do my best in order to reach a championship."

good luck LOL. This isn't russian communism where you lobby your way through.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Re: Nets owner expects title within 2-3 years

Postby Tobias Funke on Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:37 am

Well, you never know, alot can happen in a couple of years. I wouldn't bet my money on it though.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby revgen on Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:49 am

He has the $$$ to back up his words. And he has the media market to attract the big name stars to come over. So I wouldn't doubt him.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby KB24 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:09 am

Please

NY has the cash too, Dallas has it too, what about Portland?...

with no cap space or assets, you can have all cash in the world and you still ain't going nowhere.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:46 am

Nets are stucked with JJ , Crash and Lopez contracts for the next 4 seasons... I think they will be the new Hawks of the East ... 2nd round exit for several seasons
wcsoldier81

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:01 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:2nd round exit for several seasons
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:18 am

This guy doesn't understand that it takes more than spending to create a great team. They need a better GM for starters. The Nets could have put together a package like what the Lakers did to get Dwight. But they were insistent on sending Orlando Lopez and Kardashian. Now that ship has sailed, and who is the next great center they can pair up with Deron??

These guys are stuck with their mediocre team for a long time.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby KB24 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:58 am

^the thing is a great center and Deron won't win you a title. The times of a great tandem is gone. Now you need 3 great players and a 4th very capable player to be among the top teams.

You saw the Lakers with Kobe, Gasol and Bynum going nowhere because of a crappy bench and awful play at the other 2 positions.

The Nets are stuck with JJ; Lopez and Deron...thats not even better than the Hawks.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby therealdeal on Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:20 am

When you give a max contract to Lopez, buy Joe Johnson's contract, and over pay your role players you're not going anywhere. Check this out- in 2-3 years he's still got at least 3 guaranteed contracts on board in Williams, Johnson, and Wallace. These contracts amount to roughly 55 million dollars. Then Lopez also has a player option worth 16.7 million which he will almost certainly exercise which puts Brooklyn at 71.7 million dollars with just those 4 players. They're way over the cap here, almost paying luxury taxes, on just 4 players.

They have NO room to go get anyone worth a spit and they'd only be able to offer 3.1 million to anyone. Now the good news for Prokorov? All his contracts are expiring that season meaning he can probably sell someone on that, but how often do you trade an expiring contract for an impact player and then win a Championship? No. His team as constructed is not nearly as good as Miami, not as good as Oklahoma, and for the next 2 seasons is nowhere near as good as the Lakers. Heck, I'm not sold he's better than San Antonio or Boston. His team is at least 5-6 years away because they're going to need to rebuild after they move on from this silly era of Williams, Johnson, and Lopez.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:35 am

KB24 wrote:^the thing is a great center and Deron won't win you a title. The times of a great tandem is gone. Now you need 3 great players and a 4th very capable player to be among the top teams.

You saw the Lakers with Kobe, Gasol and Bynum going nowhere because of a crappy bench and awful play at the other 2 positions.

The Nets are stuck with JJ; Lopez and Deron...thats not even better than the Hawks.

2011 Mavs say otherwise, and if you look at some of the other teams who have gone to the SF in recent years, it's clear that there is no true formula for success. A "big three" is a great place to start, but ultimately there are a lot of factors that are often overlooked which contribute to a team's overall success.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby KB24 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:07 am

^thats correct. The game evolves and things are changing constantly.

But to be honest, the Mavs were not a great team even that year. They were average before that run and after that run (well while losing Chandler). The Mavs were a team that just found an incredible groove before the post-season and they simply shot lights out for that post-season. Nowitzki was averaging like 10 ppg in the 4th in the playoffs...they just clicked. It was a good team on a great streak rather than a great team on a good streak.

Even guys like Peja were draining 3s, guys like Barea playing like Tony Parker...

you look at the last 5-6 championships and Lakers, Celtics, Heat have all had at least 3 great players. It certainly doesn't mean its a guarantee for wins (see Thunder or Lakers recently or Spurs) but it is a pretty good indication of whether you are in the mix.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:23 am

KB24 wrote:^thats correct. The game evolves and things are changing constantly.

But to be honest, the Mavs were not a great team even that year. They were average before that run and after that run (well while losing Chandler). The Mavs were a team that just found an incredible groove before the post-season and they simply shot lights out for that post-season. Nowitzki was averaging like 10 ppg in the 4th in the playoffs...they just clicked. It was a good team on a great streak rather than a great team on a good streak.

Even guys like Peja were draining 3s, guys like Barea playing like Tony Parker...

you look at the last 5-6 championships and Lakers, Celtics, Heat have all had at least 3 great players. It certainly doesn't mean its a guarantee for wins (see Thunder or Lakers recently or Spurs) but it is a pretty good indication of whether you are in the mix.

I wouldn't really say that the Lakers had a big three in '09 and '10, more like a big two plus a random name out of a hat who would show up that night (Drew if he was healthy, Odom if he didn't light one up before the game, Farmar if he wasn't pouty and Fisher when he wasn't feeling old). Plus if you look at some of the teams that made it deep into the playoffs prior to last season, a lot of them made do with only one or two star players (Bulls going to the ECF in '11, Suns and Magic going to the CF in '10, Nuggets and Cavs going to the CF in '09 with the Magic making it to the Finals etc...). I think a "big three" certainly helps to tip the odds in one's favor, but at the same time, look at teams like New York or New Jersey. One could argue that Melo, STAT and Chandler are technically a "big three", but that team isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and neither are Deron, Joe and Wallace.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby Weezy on Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:27 pm

I'd feel bad for him for being so delusional, but he's a billionaire, so I don't.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby John3:16 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:28 pm

He's obviously never heard of the salary cap.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby purp n gold on Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:01 am

I expect to marry Kate Upton within 2-3 years
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby Frank Dux on Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:09 am

I think they have a good chance at being the best team in NYC...

For real though, that roster is built as a perennial second round exit.
Frank Dux

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:42 am

Try being the best team in NYC first before you talk about winning titles in 2 or 3 yrs. I guarantee the Nets will finish LOWER than the Knicks this year. In fact, I bet one of my Nets friends $100 that Knicks will finish with a better regular season record, and double or nothing if they meet in the playoffs.

I'm sick of hearing about the Nets...they're the east coast CLIPPERS to me...Knicks have the better and deeper team in my opinion, and with melo fresh off a great olympics, STAT and Chandler working with Hakeem, and all the Knicks players participating in "pre-training camp", and one full year with Mike Woodson as coach instead of DAMPHONI, I have a good feeling about the Knicks this year. They'll be a top 4 team out East...with Nets finishing at 5th.
FabFourLakers

Postby Congo Cash on Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:30 pm

revgen wrote:He has the $$$ to back up his words. And he has the media market to attract the big name stars to come over. So I wouldn't doubt him.

There is this thing called a salary cap, and if that was the case the Knicks and Dallas would have been winning championships for years...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby revgen on Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:33 pm

Congo Cash wrote:
revgen wrote:He has the $$$ to back up his words. And he has the media market to attract the big name stars to come over. So I wouldn't doubt him.

There is this thing called a salary cap, and if that was the case the Knicks and Dallas would have been winning championships for years...

Hence why I mentioned the New York media market. The media market in New York offers the chance for advertising endorsements that small market teams don't offer. Why do you think Dwight Howard was so desperate to get to Brooklyn? Partly to play with D-WIll and be "the man" on his team, but also because of Brooklyn's media market. Here in LA, he has to wait for Kobe and Nash to leave.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Return to NBA Discussion