Now Cuban's admitting he's mad at Kidd

Now Cuban's admitting he's mad at Kidd

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:46 am

Someone better put one of "those" watches on Mark. Clearly his best laid plans for D Will and D Howard have blown up in his face. As stated before I used to like and respect him (regardless of enemy status) as an owner. That changed when he "piled on" along with Cleveland owner Gilbert crying to Stern about the Lakers' legitimate acquisition of Chris Paul. And his gloating comments of not feeling bad at all for the Lakers with him taking advantage and picking up Odom for nothing more than trade exception when we traded him after the fall out from the nullified trade.

But he's clearly unhappy now with how all his moves and plans after their lone championship have worked out. Can't be brilliant all the time Mark....how does Lakers' bleep taste now?

http://blogs.thescore.com/tbj/2012/08/2 ... ds-number/

Mark Cuban won’t retire Jason Kidd’s jersey because he went to the Knicks
By Eric Freeman | Ball Don't Lie – 8 hours ago

Over two separate stints spanning six full seasons and parts of two more, Jason Kidd played point guard very well for the Dallas Mavericks. While those seasons didn't overlap with his prime — those seasons were spent in Phoenix and New Jersey — Kidd did share Rookie of the Year honors with Grant Hill in 1995 and played a key role in the Mavs' championship two seasons ago. Put simply, he meant a lot to the franchise.

Kidd is gone now, of course, after signing a three-year deal with the New York Knicks. The Mavericks had offered a similar contract, so Kidd effectively chose to play for the team in the city where he resides rather than for the one that's treated him pretty well since he was traded in 2008.
This development did not make Mavericks owner Mark Cuban particularly happy. So much that he now claims that the franchise will not retire Kidd's jersey (either the mid-90s No. 5 or more recent No. 2) due to this perceived backstabbing.

From Jon Machota for The Dallas Morning News (via TBJ):
"I was more than upset," Cuban told the Ben and Skin show on 103.3 [KESN-FM]. "I thought he was coming (back). I was pissed."

That answer came after Cuban was asked if Kidd would have his jersey in the rafters one day at AAC. Cuban said there was "no chance" of that happening after the way things ended.

"J-Kidd's a big boy, he can do whatever he wants," Cuban said. "But you don't change your mind like that. I'm sure I'll get over it at some point, but as of right now, I wouldn't put J-Kidd's number in the rafters."
Cuban said Kidd called him before agreeing to the deal but Cuban didn't answer because he, "was in D.C. with my kids at a museum."

"I like J-Kidd," Cuban added. "He's a good guy. But I just thought that was wrong. You can't put a guy's number in the rafters when he decides he doesn't want to be there."

Cuban was quick to point out that the also departed Jason Terry could have his jersey retired, because he was totally forthright and honest throughout the entire process. There was clearly some sort of miscommunication or not totally above board dealing going on here. On the other hand, perhaps Kidd would have clarified some of these issues if Cuban had answered his call.

That's ultimately the issue with Cuban's reaction here: he seems to be assigning impure motives based on incomplete information and personal gripes. And while a jersey retirement typically serves as a reward for valued service to a team both on the court and in a more general sense related to the community and culture, it seems a little reactionary to wipe out many years of capable service just because things ended on bad terms. (Then again, Cuban does mention that he only feels this way now, so everything could change in the future.)

The funny aspect to this feud is that most evidence would suggest Kidd doesn't deserve to have his Mavs' jersey retired on the merits of his play. He was very good with the team, yes, but the years that made him a surefire Hall of Famer all happened elsewhere. It would have been perfectly viable for Cuban simply to give an answer along those lines and move on. Instead, he used it as an opportunity to solidify a grudge. Make of that what you will.
LTLakerFan

Re: Now Cuban's admitting he's mad at Kidd

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:01 am

I think I speak for everyone here when I say :man10: :man10: :man10:
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby KB24 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:47 am

"son, I am disappoint".

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby The Original 81 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:53 am

^ :man10:

Cuban needs to get over it.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby Congo Cash on Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:49 am

No problem, New Jersey will retire his number...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby 432J on Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:20 am

Congo Cash wrote:No problem, New Jersey will retire his number...
432J

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:33 am

lakerswiz wrote:I LOVE the Mavericks off-season! They were all thinking they were getting Dwight and Deron.

:wow:

How's Elton Brand instead?!

Apparently they were supposed to get Kobe back in 2007, according to Mr.Cuban.

Cubes is always shooting himself in the foot.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:25 am

While everyone was praising Cuban and wanting him to be the owner of the Lakers I (and a few others) didn't like the guy. Thats low of Cuban to be like that because Kidd decided to finish his career where he lives. Had DWill been available for Jason Kidd we all know Mark would of walked in slapped a UPS on Kidds head and said don't worry we cleaned out your locker already for you. Mark is a crying hypocrit who finally can't outrun his mouth. I'm glad for him.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:33 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:While everyone was praising Cuban and wanting him to be the owner of the Lakers I (and a few others) didn't like the guy. Thats low of Cuban to be like that because Kidd decided to finish his career where he lives. Had DWill been available for Jason Kidd we all know Mark would of walked in slapped a UPS on Kidds head and said don't worry we cleaned out your locker already for you. Mark is a crying hypocrit who finally can't outrun his mouth. I'm glad for him.

The bolded is so true.

Crying about the CP3 trade and how it's unfair, crying about how owner's (Nets/Lakers) spending too much money in the new CBA and how it will hurt them (Sent emails out IIRC), crying about teams building super teams and how the league isn't balanced, while at the same time.....

Clearing out cap room with the sole purpose to get Deron/D12 and building a superteam and seeing no problem with it, but he's always crying about others doing it.

He's just a big baby and when things don't go his way, he sticks his foot in his mouth more often then not. JKidd left because he couldn't get the job done of building a contender for the aging vets. on the team (Kidd/Dirk/Terry), they didn't leave (except Dirk) to spite him, they left because he failed to uphold his job bringing in the best, but talking like he's making the power moves.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby jimbo327 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:30 am

Now the only piece left is for Dirk to leave Dallas.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby TIME on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:34 am

You know it's gotta turn his crank that we used the Odom TPE to steal Nash. Nothing is going right for MarkyMark lately.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:39 am

i guess cuban is trying to make up for his failed offseason by going off in the media about kidd, almost getting kobe, etc. he's exactly like a little kid. he cries when something doesn't go his way and when he doesn't get the attention he wants he just goes on and on until someone pays attention to him

great businessman and owner, ANNOYING person
432J

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:57 am

i cant describe the kind of joy i get from reading this kind butthurtedness
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby nthydro on Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:19 pm

While I respect his passion for the game and dedication to his team, I can't stand him at all. He's constantly crossing the line with his comments and actions. I get such a kick knowing he's probably steaming over us nabbing D12. And the fact that D-Will played him like a fool. Enjoy your one hit wonder season Marky :man10:
nthydro

Postby Weezy on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:25 am

Cuban can be very immature and petty, stuff like this is something he should keep to himself.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby OX1947 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:05 pm

Cuban's act has worn out. He may be a smart business man but the world of sports has crumbled even the biggest billionaires(Murdock, Fox) because their staying power just doesn't last. In sports, money isn't what makes it great. It isnt about the bottom line, fans want wins and titles, its just different. Most teams that lose money are the teams that win. A lot of the businessmen you get into sports, find out that concept and cant break off the old thinking of "I cant lose money" even for wins.

Kidd left Dallas because he is a [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]. He is a [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] to the LIFE of celebrity and a [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] in general. Nothing bigger then New York for that. Plus, he saw a sinking ship. That ship that saw it get rocked the moment Mitch sent the cancer, LO, to Dallas, and completely imploded himself and the Mavs for 4 months. And to add insult to injury, used the resource they got from Cuban for that cancer, to turn that into Nash. Then, put Cuban in the guillotine and got Howard when Mark had cleared a title team to open up space for him.

What happen these last 6 months had nothing to do with big market, small market, NBA CBA not working. It was simply some being better at making deals then Cuban. Cuban couldnt convince Deron Williams to come home and play with Dirk. Hell, Pat Riley convinced Lebron to leave home and come play in Miami for less money AND share it will two other stars. Maybe something is wrong with you Cubes. Time to eat some of your own bull, live with it.
OX1947

Postby lakersStan24 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:42 am

lol, Jason Kidd did what's Best for Him, dallas are now a 1st/2nd round playoff team at best can't blame Kidd moving on
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Return to NBA Discussion