Oak signs with Houston, VC & Allen won't be in the Olymp

Oak signs with Houston, VC & Allen won't be in the Olymp

Postby JSM on Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:30 pm

Sportsline: Charles Oakley signed a 10-day contract with the Houston Rockets on Thursday, giving coach Jeff Van Gundy another player from his New York Knicks days.

The 40-year-old power forward hasn't played all season, but that did not deter Van Gundy.

"I know him; I trust him," Van Gundy said. "He knows how hard you have to play to win in this league."

"Every team needs to let the other team know that no matter what happened with the score they are not going to be a pushover," he said. "I'm coming here to bring some energy and extra power."

============================================
Toronto Star: Vince Carter has decided to give the Athens Olympics a pass.

The Raptor all-star informed U.S. basketball officials this week he was turning down an invitation to join the American team for the 2004 Athens Games.

"It's for my well-being," Carter said yesterday morning. "I don't want to burn out before the season. I've been there too many times. It's just too much."

"It's the course of the whole thing that's going to kill me," he said. "I don't think my body would take it. This year, I'm a little worn down, I feel it. The last time I felt it but, it was the Olympics, we had a good team ...

"But it's playing, travelling, practising, it's non-stop."

"I just want to let my body heal after the season," said Carter. "I think I was probably the longest-lasting guy from the summer who got hurt. I just want to save myself."
Last edited by JSM on Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:22 am

Ray Allen is also considering dropping out of the Games
Seattle TimesMuch like the Toronto Raptors guard, Allen is getting married this summer, and his fiancee is expected to give birth to the couple's first child in September.

"A lot of guys are really extending themselves, and he's (Carter) been hurt a lot over his career and whatever he can do to take care of his body in the offseason, then that's what he needs to do," the Sonics guard said. "I totally understand where he's coming from."

Allen would not divulge which way he is leaning, but admitted he's seriously considering withdrawing.

He's not so much concerned about the additional stress on his body, which has worried many on the Sonics. What worries him is the 45-day commitment playing in the Olympics would require. The team would train in Jacksonville, Fla., before leaving for Greece.

"Being on this road trip has let me see I don't want to be away from my family for a long time," Allen said. "None of my family is going to be there. We'll be expecting, and everybody would rather be around her than go watch me play basketball. So I'd be floating around Greece all by myself."
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby rydjorker121 on Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:01 pm

Let me just say that it took a while for Ray Allen to get married...maybe his GF found him too dirty, just like what he did with Kobe
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Return to NBA Discussion