Official LBJ thread: no more roid....errr..carbs =slim

Re: LBJ at MSG (thread 2)

Postby MagicIS350 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:20 am

Respect for Bron's 52 points and on top of that, a triple-double. However, no respect for people comparing Bron's game to Kobe's game and literally putting Kobe down especially with the media. Two different players, two different styles.

Bron - bigger body with players who were knocking down shots as well yesterday night and he's a forward type of player meaning he'll be down near the boards most of the time enabling a chance to grab rebounds.. 16 from 19 FTs.. 52 in 44 mins.. 17 of 33

Kobe - guard type meaning not as much rebounding opportunities especially with Odom and Gasol grabbing most of the rebounds.. Kobe's majority of the shots were difficult perimeter shots especially with tight defense and 4 of his teammates weren't shooting that well.. it was just Kobe's night to shine even with Gasol scoring 30+.. Kobe was on fire.. 20 of 20 FTs.. 61 in 37 mins.. 19 of 31

Conclusion: two separate players with two separate styles of playing.. no need to compare.. Kobe's game was fantastic, but you also need to respect Lebron's all around performance..
GO LAKERS!!!
MagicIS350

Postby TIME on Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:24 am

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:16 am

I don't think some of you (who are saying we're hatin on Bron) are getting the point.

WHAT LEBRON DID WAS IMPRESSIVE. NO ONE HERE IS DENYING THAT. GET THAT THRU YOUR THICK SKULLS

But what Kobe did > Lebron's show last night. THATS OUR POINT.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby The Rock on Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:25 am

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/w ... ref=sircrc
"I don't go out there for the numbers," James said after the game. "I play my game. You saw every phase of my game tonight; the scoring, the rebounds, the assists and the defense. If a [triple-double] happens, then great, but I never look at it that way."

James' dive for a final, and triple-double-clinching rebound (before which James admitted a teammate had told him would secure the feat), would seem to speak otherwise, especially to a rival he is scheduled to meet Sunday as the Cavs put their perfect home record on the line against the Lakers.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby porter30 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:32 am

The Rock wrote:I don't think some of you (who are saying we're hatin on Bron) are getting the point.

WHAT LEBRON DID WAS IMPRESSIVE. NO ONE HERE IS DENYING THAT. GET THAT THRU YOUR THICK SKULLS

And on what basis was Kobe's performance greater, rather than equal to, or less than, Lebron's?

I'm just wondering...
porter30

Postby The Rock on Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:36 am

Kobe's came within the flow of the game while Lebron's came at the cost of teammate's production as he dominated the ball.

Kobe's clinic put as at a double digit advantage throughout the game and it was essentially over midway through the 4th. Lebron's show almost cost the game.

Kobe did it in 36 minutes, Lebron did it in 44.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby strikemode14 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:39 am

porter30 wrote:
The Rock wrote:I don't think some of you (who are saying we're hatin on Bron) are getting the point.

And on what basis was Kobe's performance greater, rather than equal to, or less than, Lebron's?

I'm just wondering...

Few things..

A. Kobe Bryant wasn't really trying to set any records. He just wanted to have a good game to show the league that the lakers are still a contender without Bynum. No way he had planned got to get 61. It was obvious Bron was trying to top Kobe lol.

B. The lakers won the game by a bigger margin. The cavs nearly lost the game. The lakers blew them out.

C. Simply put it was Kobe> the knicks. I mean i just love stuff like that when one guy takes on a whole squad. In Bron's performance it was more the cavs beating the knicks with Bron haveing a helleva a game. It wasn't all Bron all the time so we don't know if he is going to pass or shot. In the kobe game they knew when he tocuhed the b-all he was going to shoot it and still couldn't stop him.
Strikemode14 is the greatest.

http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou

]
strikemode14
Forum Manager

Postby The Rock on Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:40 am

It felt like an Allen Iverson/Stephon Marbury/Steve Francis type game for Lebron...dominate the ball everytime down.

Not a Lebron james type game...

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Juronimo on Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:41 am

KGB wrote:
Juronimo wrote:Jesus Christ guys, give Lebron credit for having a monster game. A triple double with 50 points is absurd. How can you hate on that?

Nobody is hating on his performance at all, except for the fact that it was all forced and kobe's wasn't. Besides that, were just more upset at the amount of people nut hugging him everywhere.

I don't care about what ESPN says nor do I take anything they say personally. They have their own agendas.

You don't even have to like Lebron but you have to recognize greatness when you see it. I hated Bird in the 80's but I couldn't help but respect his talent. Dude was a killer. I didn't like Jordan either, but you had to respect his game period.

Acknowledging Lebron's talent doesn't make Kobe any lesser of a player, or make someone any less of a Laker fan, nor does it threaten Kobe's legacy, that is already set. It's just appreciating talent. Just like acknowledging Bird and Jordan's greatness doesn't lessen Magic's greatness.

As far as ESPN and the media is concerned, they always create a golden boy, then tear them down if they screw up. Kobe was their golden boy until he screwed up. If Lebron does something dumb, they'll hope off of his nuts onto someone elses. It's just how they do. That has no bearing on player's actual talent.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby MagicIS350 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:16 pm

Questionable 9th rebound given to Lebron when it should've been Big Ben's rebound..

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_d ... nba,139191
GO LAKERS!!!
MagicIS350

Postby The Rock on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:27 pm

Look what MIke Brown is doing behind him when Tim Thomas shoots the 3 :man10:

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby nameant on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:35 pm

MagicIS350 wrote:Questionable 9th rebound given to Lebron when it should've been Big Ben's rebound..

I said this when it happened. When Frazier said "There's his 9th rebound" I was like wtf??
nameant

Postby whatisit on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:43 pm

I didn't want to make a new thread for this, and don't want to take anything away from Lebron, that was a rediculous game he had...but is ESPN fixing their own polls? I ask this because Kobe lost in their poll yesterday 81%-19% but looking at the poll on http://sports.yahoo.com/nba Kobe is somehow beating everyone....pretty weird observation.
whatisit

Postby Weezy on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:45 pm

nameant wrote:
MagicIS350 wrote:Questionable 9th rebound given to Lebron when it should've been Big Ben's rebound..

I said this when it happened. When Frazier said "There's his 9th rebound" I was like wtf??

What a joke, his teammates were clearly trying to get him big numbers, and they were probably instructed to do so by James, he really wants to best Kobe.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:49 pm

I wonder how long this type of stat padding has been going on :man10:

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:08 pm

Alrighty, JSJ diverted me over here. Is this posted here?

Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby goatis24 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:25 pm

therealdeal wrote:Alrighty, JSJ diverted me over here. Is this posted here?

That was clearly a rebound that should have been given to Ben Wallace.

If you guys saw the tip-off of the lakers raptors game, than you saw how Odom didn't fully "grab" the ball but tipped it to fisher in the backcourt. This was ruled a back court violation and we had a TO in the first 3 seconds of the game. Even Stu Lantz agreed that Odom had control of the ball, even tho he didnt fully grab it, and said the officials were spot on and made the right call. I just don't understand why the NBA is so inconsistent with their officiating/ stat tracking!
goatis24

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:55 pm

The Rock wrote:http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/w ... ref=sircrc
"I don't go out there for the numbers," James said after the game. "I play my game. You saw every phase of my game tonight; the scoring, the rebounds, the assists and the defense. If a [triple-double] happens, then great, but I never look at it that way."

James' dive for a final, and triple-double-clinching rebound (before which James admitted a teammate had told him would secure the feat), would seem to speak otherwise, especially to a rival he is scheduled to meet Sunday as the Cavs put their perfect home record on the line against the Lakers.

I love the "defense" comment especially since Al went for 39 (or something like that)
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:55 pm

Answer me this:

If Kobe didn't score 61 points, do you REALLY truly believe that LeBron would have put up 50 with a triple double?

He knew the media was hyping the game up because of Kobe's performance and he wanted to make sure he didn't look inferior so he went out and stat padded. No one is going to call him selfish though because he had 11 assists. He has the nerve to say he's not going to try to out do Kobe and then after the game brings up how impressive his stat line was. He's the biggest fake in the league.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:14 pm

lakerswiz wrote:
JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:Answer me this:

If Kobe didn't score 61 points, do you REALLY truly believe that LeBron would have put up 50 with a triple double?

He knew the media was hyping the game up because of Kobe's performance and he wanted to make sure he didn't look inferior so he went out and stat padded. No one is going to call him selfish though because he had 11 assists. He has the nerve to say he's not going to try to out do Kobe and then after the game brings up how impressive his stat line was. He's the biggest fake in the league.

I agree with everything you just said.

I think he was gunning for the trip-dub from the start.

No, he was gunning for the 61 from the start. The 20 point first quarter points to that.

I think as the game went on, and he realized he couldn't get it, he focused on the triple double instead.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Knowledge1776 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:18 pm

I more amazed that Kobe is 13 years in the league with all of the wear and tear but still able to put in 60 instead of how you guys are treating it. It's not a contest of who is the best player because one performed better in New York against a garbage arse defense.

The whole idea IMO is ridiculous, but that's just me. Just appreciate both performances for what they were worth because in the grand scheme, neither game has playoff implications.
Knowledge1776

Postby DJ Qube on Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:51 pm

I don't know what the big fuss is about this rebound. A double-double is still pretty good, Bron! :man10:
DJ Qube

Postby markketch on Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:26 pm

Why was it a rebound?

Rebounds are credited to the first player that gains clear possession of the ball or to a player that successfully deflects the ball into the basket for a score.

Ben Wallace did not have clear possession of the ball according to the scorer. It's a grey area, but open to interpretation, just like an assist. An assist, by definition, should be recorded when one player passes the ball to another who scores WITHOUT dribbling the ball. Players are always credited assists on possessions which end up with one or two quick dribbles.
markketch

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:47 am

markketch wrote:Why was it a rebound?

Rebounds are credited to the first player that gains clear possession of the ball or to a player that successfully deflects the ball into the basket for a score.

Ben Wallace did not have clear possession of the ball according to the scorer. It's a grey area, but open to interpretation, just like an assist. An assist, by definition, should be recorded when one player passes the ball to another who scores WITHOUT dribbling the ball. Players are always credited assists on possessions which end up with one or two quick dribbles.

Not the same. Not even close. Ben Wallace had clear possession and gave the ball the LeBron. Interpret that as you will, but it's the truth. When some one gets an assist, it's because they passed the ball in a way that helped to get their teammate a bucket. The common theme in assists : One person passes to another person. The common theme in rebounds : possession of the ball.

Ben Wallace had clear possession, and therefore he should have the rebound.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby nameant on Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:03 am

I remember when Bob Sura had that BS triple double, the league took it away. What are the chances the league takes this one away? Hahaha. My guess is in the negatives.
nameant

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion