Official LBJ thread: no more roid....errr..carbs =slim

Re: Official LBJ thread: Back on top of MVP Race

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:08 pm

OK.. well I was listening to the ole ESPN folks and they have jumped firmly back on the LBJ for MVP bandwagon again. He had a great game against the Thunder in Miami and hit some big shots (although did go nearly 3 minutes late in the fourth without a basket)...... So.... Does this game put Lebron back in the drivers seat? Was he never out of it? Is it funny that now Wade is being compared to Westbrook?
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:17 pm

In my eyes he should have never been out of it. I think the media is just too hesitant to give him his 3rd MVP since they want to the more likable guys to have one under their belt.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:21 pm

^^^^ Not really ... Westbrook is currently closer to KD level than Wade is to Lebron ... Wade has been pretty bad this year when facing superior D ... I hate Lebron and his game is ugly to me but he's MVP this season

Westbrook hate isn't justified this season ...
wcsoldier81

Postby 24K GOLD on Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:23 pm

I actually like LeBron again, thanks to Dwight.
I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

24K GOLD

Postby Weezy on Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:17 pm

Hate aside, I honestly think Durant is the MVP. He's got his team atop a tough West, while the Heat are not atop the East and the team they're chasing hasn't even had Rose for a ton of games.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Forward Three on Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:40 pm

The more I have watched the Heat this season the more I think they would be a better team if they didn't have Lebron trying to get 6-7 assists a game. I feel like almost every game(save for a stretch in March) there as been a point where Lebron just decides he wants to score 20 points and he does and there is no stopping it. But with his 'pass-first' mentality you're putting that much more pressure on role-playing shooters to make shots and/or just passing too much in general. Miami isn't a great passing team overall, they live off of drive+kick passing for most of their assists(team-wide) and it just seems like there isn't really any reason they aren't clearly the #1 team in the league with the roster that they have. I think if Lebron went into attack mode more often, they probably would be.

But I haven't watched every game of theirs, I just think Lebron's stat-padding has never been a great thing for any team he is on and when you look at how sickeningly well he can score the ball, it is almost like wasted talent for him to try and be Oscar Robertson every night.
Forward Three

Re: Official LBJ thread: 3rd MVP an honor; all about team

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:00 pm

Has DWight made it easier for voters to forgive lebron and give him that 3rd MVP?
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby The Rock on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:32 am

For superstitious reasons I hope Lebron wins MVP. Every year he's won the MVP the Lakers have won the title

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:23 am

The Rock wrote:For superstitious reasons I hope Lebron wins MVP. Every year he's won the MVP the Lakers have won the title

I like how you think.... It will be an honor for him to have a 3rd MVP and plain awesome for us to have another Championship!
puffyusaf#2

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:36 pm

Tony Parker should be MVP imo... but I have no problem with Durant or LBJ winning his 3rd. well deserved bj from the media
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:22 pm

I don't get the thread title. Hate on him for saying that? If Kobe said that we'd say nothing about it. That's what an athlete says there.

"Who's got it better than us? NOOOOOO BODY!" - Jim Harbaugh

Hip-Hop Fans: DJ KB8 Presents - Felt 3: The Remixes (Coming Soon)
Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:12 pm

LeBron may be the MVP, but I'll still take the Black Mamba over that choking clown any day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby DJ-RaZ-Q#24 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:37 pm

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:Tony Parker should be MVP imo... but I have no problem with Durant or LBJ winning his 3rd. well deserved bj from the media

Parker has really a word in that conversation. But he doesn't have the media behind him. But got to make a case for him on the All NBA 1st team. Wade and especially Rose haven't played enough or good enough to be there. Westrbook is still Westbrick so I guess he can get a sport there.
DJ-RaZ-Q#24

Postby Magic Skywalker on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 am

First team should be Parker - Kobe - James - Durant - Bynum.

Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if they put Paul instead of Parker.... or even if they put Howard over Bynum.
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:00 am

The Frenchman has no press but he has been tearing everyone up with his playmaking and scoring.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:13 am

I said I thought TP deserves much more MVP consideration but it seems the media already planned on giving it to Lebron this year
puffyusaf#2

Postby Finwë on Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:49 pm

I think it was Brian Windhorst from ESPN who tweeted that LBJ had "locked" the MVP award after beating the Thunder.. It's all a big joke, Windhorst is a voter, and he is incredibly biased, like most of them are.
It's pathetic, nba.com's "Race for the MVP" had Durant #1 for just TWO WEEKS, every other week they had LeBron, even though OKC was clearly the better team for most of the season, and their statistical numbers weren't that far apart.

When Kobe went on a TEAR during that 05/06 season, he finished THIRD in the race, because the voters felt that it should go to "the best player in the best team". That's why the picked Rose last year.
What happens this year? The best team is San Antonio, and their best player has been Tony Parker (who statistically has been great too), but somehow they can't overlook LeBron's "incredible impact" or "historic statistical season".. JOKE.

They are all incredibly impressed that LeBron is shooting like 53% from the field, and it is impressive, but IMO Durant's FG% is more impressive. LeBron isn't really a "perimeter player", he scores HALF is points in the paint, goes to the FT line more often that everyone else, and leads the league in fast break points. THAT'S why he shoots such a high FG%. Durant, meanwhile, shoots almost 50$ from the field, but his shots are much more difficult, they demand much more skill, he shoots a lot more 3s (and shoots a higher 3pt%)... He doesn't get the same amount of calls as LeBron (though he does get a lot more calls than Kobe, that's for sure), he takes a lot of jumpshots, and has to suffer Westbrook's chucking..
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:30 pm

Finwë wrote:I think it was Brian Windhorst from ESPN who tweeted that LBJ had "locked" the MVP award after beating the Thunder.. It's all a big joke, Windhorst is a voter, and he is incredibly biased, like most of them are.
It's pathetic, nba.com's "Race for the MVP" had Durant #1 for just TWO WEEKS, every other week they had LeBron, even though OKC was clearly the better team for most of the season, and their statistical numbers weren't that far apart.

When Kobe went on a TEAR during that 05/06 season, he finished THIRD in the race, because the voters felt that it should go to "the best player in the best team". That's why the picked Rose last year.
What happens this year? The best team is San Antonio, and their best player has been Tony Parker (who statistically has been great too), but somehow they can't overlook LeBron's "incredible impact" or "historic statistical season".. JOKE.

They are all incredibly impressed that LeBron is shooting like 53% from the field, and it is impressive, but IMO Durant's FG% is more impressive. LeBron isn't really a "perimeter player", he scores HALF is points in the paint, goes to the FT line more often that everyone else, and leads the league in fast break points. THAT'S why he shoots such a high FG%. Durant, meanwhile, shoots almost 50$ from the field, but his shots are much more difficult, they demand much more skill, he shoots a lot more 3s (and shoots a higher 3pt%)... He doesn't get the same amount of calls as LeBron (though he does get a lot more calls than Kobe, that's for sure), he takes a lot of jumpshots, and has to suffer Westbrook's chucking..

:bow: The MVP award has always been biased, even more sans Kobe Bryant. Kobe shouldn't have one MVP he has more individual hardware and success than anyone else in the player ranks with him yet he only has one MVP doesn't make sense. That 05-06 season is insane because you mentioned the media basically ignoring the impact other players have had this season with their team but they just couldn't ignore LeBron's statistics so why didn't D-Wade win it that season he put up amazing numbers? What about Kobe? It irritates me how they want to switch the MVP qualification rules every season, and I know why too. I don't mind LeBron getting it he's great but they didn't even look at any other player or athlete. And isn't Lebron playing with two superstars what happens to that "Doing less with more" rule? It's not LeBron it's the media.
Jazzygirl205

Postby Forward Three on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:40 am

I'm thinking that the MVP award would make more sense if it was split East and West. Have a Western Conference MVP and an Eastern Conference MVP, de-emphasis the award somewhat, and fortify the importance of the Finals MVP. As it stands it's just frustratingly pointless by now.

Tony Parker has a _strong_ case if defined in the way it has been defined most of the past 12 years or so, but the Spurs have this perception of being a "team that is greater than the sum of its parts" so no one gives him even a nod.

Kevin Durant has a strong case for being on a top team and being statistically dominant, but then he's also playing alongside two other players who aren't exactly in the MVP discussion, but are certainly contributing in a major way to make his job easier.

Lebron is having a great year and all, marked by peerless efficiency, but his team has done worse this season than last season, and he is playing alongside another MVP candidate in Wade.

And then there's Kobe. Loses a lot of marks for efficiency, but he has still murdered opposing teams several times this season and been 'the closer' far more often than the thorn in the side.

Ah well, nothing to be done of it. Except honestly, over enough time this kind of thing devalues the league and the sport, but that's another rant.
Forward Three

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:03 am

If the medias gave back to back MVP titles to Nash , I'm not sure why Parker couldn't get one ... he's basically doing this year what Nash did ... Ginobili has been out for most of the season , Duncan majority of points are from Parker playmaking, same for their 3 pt shooters ... SAS always struggle to score without him on the floor.

James :The Heat wasn't able to get the 1st seed despite Rose missing 30+ games , Wade is the closer

Durant : Westbrook was the best OKC player half of the time , failed to overcome SAS for the 1st seed too..

Not sure what argument would clearly put Durant/James over Parker ... he's French ? yeah that's a stupid one
wcsoldier81

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:42 am

^I agree. I said a few weeks ago that I thought TP should get it because the way the Spurs were playing. unfortunately it seems the media can only say "wow look at Lebron" and then make excuses for his failures.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Scnottaken on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:23 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:^I agree. I said a few weeks ago that I thought TP should get it because the way the Spurs were playing. unfortunately it seems the media can only say "wow look at Lebron" and then make excuses for his failures.

A player that has the power to run over people without anyone noticing is a tough person to beat.
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:26 pm

If Parker won the MVP I think I would stop watching the NBA forever. But even though most of the analysts are stupid, they aren't that stupid thank god.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby thkthebest on Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:33 pm

Tony Parker? What the...
My signature
thkthebest

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:04 am

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:If Parker won the MVP I think I would stop watching the NBA forever. But even though most of the analysts are stupid, they aren't that stupid thank god.

To bad fans don't understand and it is too bad that the analysts are that stupid. TP should be getting a great deal of love for the MVP this year plain and simple. Unfortunately the revolving door of the MVP race always changes for the "preseason favorite" each and every year. They pre-pick who they want and then change the rules accordingly. Funny how the media deminished Wade's performances and hyped Westbrooks. TP and the Spurs are also rans even though they finished ahead of Thunder and the Bulls finished ahead of the Heat.

Objectivity by the voters would have a much close race than LBJ the run away MVP like they will have. Damn shame for those of us who see past the ESPN highlight reel.
puffyusaf#2

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion