Official LBJ thread: No Respect for MJ? 23 returns

Re: Official LBJ thread: MVP a lock?

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:07 am

^true indeed. If they could just give him the Finals MVP and the Championship trophy they would be happy too
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
User avatar
puffyusaf#2

 
Posts: 30497
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:15 pm
Location: Chasing the dream to an Oscar

Re: Official LBJ thread: MVP a lock?

Postby 24K GOLD on Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:23 am

thkthebest wrote:Tony Parker? What the...
I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

Image
User avatar
24K GOLD

 
Posts: 1524
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:41 am
Location: Camp Nou

Re: Official LBJ thread: MVP a lock?

Postby Dyeggoo on Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:03 am

Parker's no MVP 'cause he can't do a tomahawk like James can!
Image
User avatar
Dyeggoo

 
Posts: 605
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:06 am

Re: Official LBJ thread: 3rd MVP an honor; all about team

Postby Finwë on Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:40 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:If Parker won the MVP I think I would stop watching the NBA forever. But even though most of the analysts are stupid, they aren't that stupid thank god.


To bad fans don't understand and it is too bad that the analysts are that stupid. TP should be getting a great deal of love for the MVP this year plain and simple. Unfortunately the revolving door of the MVP race always changes for the "preseason favorite" each and every year. They pre-pick who they want and then change the rules accordingly. Funny how the media deminished Wade's performances and hyped Westbrooks. TP and the Spurs are also rans even though they finished ahead of Thunder and the Bulls finished ahead of the Heat.

Objectivity by the voters would have a much close race than LBJ the run away MVP like they will have. Damn shame for those of us who see past the ESPN highlight reel.

THIS
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
User avatar
Finwë

 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: Official LBJ thread: MVP a lock?

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:54 am

lakerswiz wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:^true indeed. If they could just give him the Finals MVP and the Championship trophy they would be happy too

It's terrible that we can call these things ahead of time. Just by the general attitude a quarter way through the season and you can usually tell who the two guys are going to be.


True. It was like I said, the media spin is great, this is what we hear now:
Lebron is the MVP because he does so much on a team with no bench. No he can't be counted on when the game is on the line but he is so good he allows Wade to finish the game by setting him up to takeover.

KD is a great player but he plays with a guy just as exciting in Westbrook. The problem is "who takes over at the end of the game"? KD or Westbrook, they both have the ball and thus KD can't be a clear MVP like Lebron James who allows Wade to finish.

Tony Parker. Playing the best ball of his career. Has maintained a high level and has got his team to the top of the still more difficult West over the Finals favorite Thunder. The spurs had two 11+ game win streaks and have dominated teams but TP isn't putting on a show like Westbrook, KD and Lebron.

Kobe. The Lakers have been to up and down this season. Kobe's numbers have not been up to his standard. He may have been playing injured but the team underachieved. The Lakers were definate contenders for the WCF's before the year started and don't look like it. Plus with the emergence of Andrew Bynum for the Lakers Kobe may not even be the MVP of his team.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
User avatar
puffyusaf#2

 
Posts: 30497
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:15 pm
Location: Chasing the dream to an Oscar

Re: Official LBJ thread: MVP a lock?

Postby nameant on Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:42 am

When you lay out the criteria then yes, TP is a legit candidate but his name should never be associated with an MVP...it would be embarrassing for the game of basketball. MVP is supposed to be reserved for the best of the best..players that will basically go down as legends. TP is nowhere near that. Hell I thought it was a joke when Nash won 2...but TP? :man10:

As far as LBJ winning another...who cares? How many of the greatest players ever have more MVPs than rings? Wilt? Who else? Rings baby...that's what matters.
User avatar
nameant

 
Posts: 25329
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:30 pm

Re: Official LBJ thread: MVP a lock?

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:07 am

^^^^ Parker has 3 titles as a key member of the team , 1 Finals MVP ... 1 one of the three players in history to have 3 rings before being 25 ... a top 3 European player of the decade with Dirk and Pau

not to mention he outplayed Nash each time they faced in the playoffs

Nash winning two MVPs is a bigger joke to me
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6418
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: Official LBJ thread: MVP a lock?

Postby thkthebest on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:21 am

What in the world is the argument for Tony Parker? Having the best record in the NBA? Lol! That would be almost as bad as Rose winning it last season. Who's second in MVP then? Luol Deng?

The MVP award is not "predetermined" in the preseason. If it were, Durant would have won it last season or will be winning one this season. Dirk wouldn't have won one. Rose wouldn't have won one last season.
My signature
thkthebest

 
Posts: 3917
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:59 pm

Re: Official LBJ thread: MVP a lock?

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:31 am

How many Spurs game did you watch this season ?
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6418
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: Official LBJ thread: MVP a lock?

Postby KJ MonK on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:41 am

Cowherd just likes to mess with people he knows the LBJ stuff pisses ppl off
Nash deserved his MVPs (at least 1 of em)
TP is arguable but his team is just so cohesive they win without him on the floor... he only has 3 games of 28+ mins this month ... they're 15-2
and voters arent gonna elect sum1 sub 20 ppg AND not avg a double double, its just not gonna happen... stats do matter in these things...
MVP got watered down a long time ago though
@KJ_MonK

“Some time ago, talking to some people, they wanted a bonus if the Lakers made the playoffs. I said, `Bonus? If we don’t make the playoffs, you don’t work here anymore.”’
- Jerry Buss
"I know I can score 20 or 30 points anytime I want," Vujacic said.
User avatar
KJ MonK

 
Posts: 1171
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:19 pm
Location: South Central LA/Long Beach/Bay Area, CA

Re: Official LBJ thread: MVP a lock?

Postby thkthebest on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:48 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:^^^^ Parker has 3 titles as a key member of the team , 1 Finals MVP ... 1 one of the three players in history to have 3 rings before being 25 ... a top 3 European player of the decade with Dirk and Pau

not to mention he outplayed Nash each time they faced in the playoffs

Nash winning two MVPs is a bigger joke to me

Nash shouldn't have won those two MVPs (should be Shaq/Kobe), but Parker winning the MVP would be a huge joke. Nash has always lead one of the league's top offensive teams. In 09-10 (not one of his MVP years), he lead one of the best offensive teams of all-time. What Nash does extremely well is bring the most out of all his teammates. It doesn't matter who you put next to him. He will always lead one of the best offensive teams even at this age.

wcsoldier81 wrote:How many Spurs game did you watch this season ?

How many Spurs games have you exactly watched? How many games of teams other than the Spurs have you watched? I'd say I have watched over 50% of the games for all the playoff teams. Unless TP became Magic Johnson in the games that I missed, he has no argument for winning the MVP. If you have one, please present it to us.
Last edited by thkthebest on Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
My signature
thkthebest

 
Posts: 3917
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:59 pm

Re: Official LBJ thread: MVP a lock?

Postby KJ MonK on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:54 am

Spurs record is more of a product of their coaching than Parker, although he has stepped it up to another level
@KJ_MonK

“Some time ago, talking to some people, they wanted a bonus if the Lakers made the playoffs. I said, `Bonus? If we don’t make the playoffs, you don’t work here anymore.”’
- Jerry Buss
"I know I can score 20 or 30 points anytime I want," Vujacic said.
User avatar
KJ MonK

 
Posts: 1171
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:19 pm
Location: South Central LA/Long Beach/Bay Area, CA

Re: Official LBJ thread: 3rd MVP an honor; all about team

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:43 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:If Parker won the MVP I think I would stop watching the NBA forever. But even though most of the analysts are stupid, they aren't that stupid thank god.


To bad fans don't understand and it is too bad that the analysts are that stupid. TP should be getting a great deal of love for the MVP this year plain and simple. Unfortunately the revolving door of the MVP race always changes for the "preseason favorite" each and every year. They pre-pick who they want and then change the rules accordingly. Funny how the media deminished Wade's performances and hyped Westbrooks. TP and the Spurs are also rans even though they finished ahead of Thunder and the Bulls finished ahead of the Heat.

Objectivity by the voters would have a much close race than LBJ the run away MVP like they will have. Damn shame for those of us who see past the ESPN highlight reel.


Making up stuff to support your argument doesn't give you any credibility. They didn't change any criteria or rules, most people had Durant as the MVP before the season started. But LeBron stepped up his play big time from last season and the Heat were a top team in the league. The Spurs didn't have a top record because Parker is THAT good, they did it by having top notch coaching and the deepest team in the league. It's pretty obvious from your posts that you would prefer anyone winning it over LeBron simply because you don't like him.
User avatar
JoelMyersScrotalSack

 
Posts: 6778
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:10 am

Re: Official LBJ thread: MVP a lock?

Postby Clevername on Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:32 pm

The fact that the Spurs rested their starters toward the end and still ended with the best record in the west is enough reason to not hand TP the MVP. Though he played some incredible basketball this season.

I'm not a LeBron lover at all, but he deserves the MVP this year.
User avatar
Clevername

 
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:16 pm
Location: Dallas-Forth Worth

Re: Official LBJ thread: MVP a lock?

Postby lakers_09tv on Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:17 pm

Every year its someone different from the Spurs that "should" be an MVP candidate. Last year it was Manu. That alone should tell you all you need to know.

Parker and Manu aren't MVP level players. Sorry they just aren't.

Spurs are good, because they have the deepest team in the league, not because Parker is some great player thats carrying them on his back.

Just watch, next year it will be someone else from the Spurs that should be an MVP candidate.

Its a joke that people are even talking about this.
Image
Matt Barnes - "I respect all my opponents but I fear no one."

Deron Williams - “I hate ’em, you know,” he said the other day. “I hate the Lakers. They’re so good. I hate them because they win all the time. They’re a tough team. … We definitely talk about it. It’s not a secret. We hate the Lakers.”
User avatar
lakers_09tv

 
Posts: 5798
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: Official LBJ thread: MVP a lock?

Postby The Original 81 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:36 pm

lakers_09tv wrote:Every year its someone different from the Spurs that "should" be an MVP candidate. Last year it was Manu. That alone should tell you all you need to know.

Parker and Manu aren't MVP level players. Sorry they just aren't.

Spurs are good, because they have the deepest team in the league, not because Parker is some great player thats carrying them on his back.

Just watch, next year it will be someone else from the Spurs that should be an MVP candidate.

Its a joke that people are even talking about this.


Since when does the criteria for MVP consist of carrying a team on your back? That's the problem with this award. There's no consistency whatsoever. And I'm not even disagreeing with you, I don't think TP is the MVP. My vote goes to Durant.

I think it was JVG who said they should rename the award to "Most Outstanding Player".
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
User avatar
The Original 81

 
Posts: 5257
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:21 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Official LBJ thread: 3rd MVP an honor; all about team

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:20 am

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:
To bad fans don't understand and it is too bad that the analysts are that stupid. TP should be getting a great deal of love for the MVP this year plain and simple. Unfortunately the revolving door of the MVP race always changes for the "preseason favorite" each and every year. They pre-pick who they want and then change the rules accordingly. Funny how the media deminished Wade's performances and hyped Westbrooks. TP and the Spurs are also rans even though they finished ahead of Thunder and the Bulls finished ahead of the Heat.

Objectivity by the voters would have a much close race than LBJ the run away MVP like they will have. Damn shame for those of us who see past the ESPN highlight reel.


Making up stuff to support your argument doesn't give you any credibility. They didn't change any criteria or rules, most people had Durant as the MVP before the season started. But LeBron stepped up his play big time from last season and the Heat were a top team in the league. The Spurs didn't have a top record because Parker is THAT good, they did it by having top notch coaching and the deepest team in the league. It's pretty obvious from your posts that you would prefer anyone winning it over LeBron simply because you don't like him.


LOL... keep trying man. I didn't make anything up. The rules change every year. Some of you guys who just want to appear impartial try to hard. Not once did I say Lebron shouldn't win it or it would be a travesty if the guy won it. Get off Lebron's jock for a few minutes and pay attention. The MVP isn't for the best player on the best team. It is supposed to be for the player that is helping their team win above expectations, is putting up numbers that is above expectations and would be greatly missed if their team didn't have them. You can say that about Lebron, however, without him Dwade and Bosh still win. You can say that about TP because the Spurs could still win. You can not say that about Durant because without him the Thunder lose. So just by that criteria KD should be the MVP.

Coaches don't play the game. Funny how Spurs fans are always killing Pop for his coaching yet you guys are slurping all over him. I know it is blasphemy for some of you to think that Lebron isn't the greatest-bestest-most-awesomest-basketball player ever but the fact is he isn't and shouldn't be the clear cut run-a-away MVP no matter what criteria they use this year.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
User avatar
puffyusaf#2

 
Posts: 30497
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:15 pm
Location: Chasing the dream to an Oscar

Re: Official LBJ thread: MVP a lock?

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:37 am

I wonder what excuses the medias will come up with when their uncontested MVP fail again in the Finals this season ... can't wait :man10:
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6418
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: Official LBJ thread: MVP a lock?

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:08 pm

I would give it to Parker honestly. I mean LeBron definitely had an MVP season, but so did Parker and his cast is much worse than LeBron's. Given both teams' success, I give the edge to Parker. I wish the voting committee would see it that way.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 39978
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Official LBJ thread: MVP a lock?

Postby lakers_09tv on Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:18 pm

therealdeal wrote:I would give it to Parker honestly. I mean LeBron definitely had an MVP season, but so did Parker and his cast is much worse than LeBron's. Given both teams' success, I give the edge to Parker. I wish the voting committee would see it that way.

I don't see how anyone can give it to Parker. When was the last time a player that's not even top 3 at his position won an MVP? Parker has the same stats that he had last year and Spurs have the same winning percentage that they had last year. Why is he a candidate this year, but wasn't year?
Image
Matt Barnes - "I respect all my opponents but I fear no one."

Deron Williams - “I hate ’em, you know,” he said the other day. “I hate the Lakers. They’re so good. I hate them because they win all the time. They’re a tough team. … We definitely talk about it. It’s not a secret. We hate the Lakers.”
User avatar
lakers_09tv

 
Posts: 5798
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: Official LBJ thread: MVP a lock?

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:19 pm

I forgot about this...

"lakers_09tv"Every year its someone different from the Spurs that "should" be an MVP candidate. Last year it was Manu. That alone should tell you all you need to know.

If every year the Spurs are fighting for the top spot in the conference and the league then someone from their team SHOULD be considered for the MVP. You don't get that success from just random players for 82 (or 66) games.

Parker and Manu aren't MVP level players. Sorry they just aren't.

By whose criteria? MVP is Most Valuable Player. That does not mean Most Talented Player in the NBA at the moment. If the player was taken off the team how would the team fair without him? DRose lost his chances at a repeat cause the Bulls still dominated without him. Does that mean he isn't a great player still? No. Is he an MVP? Not this year. Tony Parker has put up numbers for his team that warrents consideration escpecially when his team has the top seed in the West.
Sorry but I don't see how you can just say he (or Manu) just isn't.

Spurs are good, because they have the deepest team in the league, not because Parker is some great player thats carrying them on his back.

Oh so this is your criteria? OK that makes sense. So Lebron isn't the MVP because he has another top 5 player playing next to him. Oh, and because he doesn't have to carry his team on his back in the 4th quarters because his teamate can do it. Well that takes Lebron out. Lets see KD has Westbrook who also puts up compariable stats to him and they have the 6MOY coming off the bench too. Hmm, that takes KD out of it. Can't be Kobe because we have Andrew and Pau. Hell, Im at a loss. Maybe Hollinger was right it looks like Blake Griffen is it... oh wait he has CP3. Rajon Rondo? Naw, they didn't start winning until KG moved to the 5. Ahh I got it, Paul Milsap is the MVP this season.

Look man, it is ok to give credit to the small guys for doing above and beyond things. ESPN and the Sports guys aren't always right.

Just watch, next year it will be someone else from the Spurs that should be an MVP candidate.

And if the Spurs are battling for the top spot then it should be the case no matter what ESPN tells you.

Its a joke that people are even talking about this.

You are right it is a joke but I think you are laughing at the wrong thing but thats just me.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
User avatar
puffyusaf#2

 
Posts: 30497
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:15 pm
Location: Chasing the dream to an Oscar

Re: Official LBJ thread: MVP a lock?

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:28 pm

lakers_09tv wrote:
therealdeal wrote:I would give it to Parker honestly. I mean LeBron definitely had an MVP season, but so did Parker and his cast is much worse than LeBron's. Given both teams' success, I give the edge to Parker. I wish the voting committee would see it that way.

I don't see how anyone can give it to Parker. When was the last time a player that's not even top 3 at his position won an MVP? Parker has the same stats that he had last year and Spurs have the same winning percentage that they had last year. Why is he a candidate this year, but wasn't year?


Actually it could be argued that he was in the top 3 this season as a PG. Who goes above him? Paul and maybe Williams and Nash, but considering their winning percentages compared to the Spurs it's hard to argue that Parker wasn't more effective. Westbook maybe, but he averaged only 5.5 assists to 3.6 turnovers; he's not a true PG for their team.

Just because he's averaging numbers similar to last season, doesn't mean anything. Each season is different and given the success that the Spurs have had, how does Parker not deserve credit? The Spurs have been fantastic all season long and that lies almost entirely on Parker's play.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 39978
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Official LBJ thread: MVP a lock?

Postby lakers_09tv on Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:31 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:I forgot about this...

"lakers_09tv"Every year its someone different from the Spurs that "should" be an MVP candidate. Last year it was Manu. That alone should tell you all you need to know.

If every year the Spurs are fighting for the top spot in the conference and the league then someone from their team SHOULD be considered for the MVP. You don't get that success from just random players for 82 (or 66) games.

Parker and Manu aren't MVP level players. Sorry they just aren't.

By whose criteria? MVP is Most Valuable Player. That does not mean Most Talented Player in the NBA at the moment. If the player was taken off the team how would the team fair without him? DRose lost his chances at a repeat cause the Bulls still dominated without him. Does that mean he isn't a great player still? No. Is he an MVP? Not this year. Tony Parker has put up numbers for his team that warrents consideration escpecially when his team has the top seed in the West.
Sorry but I don't see how you can just say he (or Manu) just isn't.

Spurs are good, because they have the deepest team in the league, not because Parker is some great player thats carrying them on his back.

Oh so this is your criteria? OK that makes sense. So Lebron isn't the MVP because he has another top 5 player playing next to him. Oh, and because he doesn't have to carry his team on his back in the 4th quarters because his teamate can do it. Well that takes Lebron out. Lets see KD has Westbrook who also puts up compariable stats to him and they have the 6MOY coming off the bench too. Hmm, that takes KD out of it. Can't be Kobe because we have Andrew and Pau. Hell, Im at a loss. Maybe Hollinger was right it looks like Blake Griffen is it... oh wait he has CP3. Rajon Rondo? Naw, they didn't start winning until KG moved to the 5. Ahh I got it, Paul Milsap is the MVP this season.

Look man, it is ok to give credit to the small guys for doing above and beyond things. ESPN and the Sports guys aren't always right.

Just watch, next year it will be someone else from the Spurs that should be an MVP candidate.

And if the Spurs are battling for the top spot then it should be the case no matter what ESPN tells you.

Its a joke that people are even talking about this.

You are right it is a joke but I think you are laughing at the wrong thing but thats just me.

I think the MVP should be given to the best player every year. Players like Nash, Rose, Dirk, Iverson and whoever else winning MVPs are a joke to me. Tell me another sport where a player can win an MVP and isn't even top 3 in their sport?

I think this year proves that Rose wasn't as valuable as everyone thought he was last year. Bulls barely skipped a beat when he was out. How can you be the MVP when your team is just as good without you?

I disagree with the Spurs. It’s a collective team effort, that's why they have the record that they have. Not because Parker is this MVP level player. He isn't.
Image
Matt Barnes - "I respect all my opponents but I fear no one."

Deron Williams - “I hate ’em, you know,” he said the other day. “I hate the Lakers. They’re so good. I hate them because they win all the time. They’re a tough team. … We definitely talk about it. It’s not a secret. We hate the Lakers.”
User avatar
lakers_09tv

 
Posts: 5798
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: Official LBJ thread: MVP a lock?

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:34 pm

therealdeal wrote:
lakers_09tv wrote:
therealdeal wrote:I would give it to Parker honestly. I mean LeBron definitely had an MVP season, but so did Parker and his cast is much worse than LeBron's. Given both teams' success, I give the edge to Parker. I wish the voting committee would see it that way.

I don't see how anyone can give it to Parker. When was the last time a player that's not even top 3 at his position won an MVP? Parker has the same stats that he had last year and Spurs have the same winning percentage that they had last year. Why is he a candidate this year, but wasn't year?


Actually it could be argued that he was in the top 3 this season as a PG. Who goes above him? Paul and maybe Williams and Nash, but considering their winning percentages compared to the Spurs it's hard to argue that Parker wasn't more effective. Westbook maybe, but he averaged only 5.5 assists to 3.6 turnovers; he's not a true PG for their team.

Just because he's averaging numbers similar to last season, doesn't mean anything. Each season is different and given the success that the Spurs have had, how does Parker not deserve credit? The Spurs have been fantastic all season long and that lies almost entirely on Parker's play.


To piggyback this: The MVP was also for the indispensable guy on a team that exceeded expectations. No one, and I mean NO ONE, had the SPurs finishing a top the West especially over the young and uninjured Thunder. The Spurs were supposed to be in the 4-6 range in the West not the #1 team yet there they are at the top. Give credit where credit is due.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
User avatar
puffyusaf#2

 
Posts: 30497
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:15 pm
Location: Chasing the dream to an Oscar

Re: Official LBJ thread: MVP a lock?

Postby lakers_09tv on Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:43 pm

therealdeal wrote:Actually it could be argued that he was in the top 3 this season as a PG. Who goes above him? Paul and maybe Williams and Nash, but considering their winning percentages compared to the Spurs it's hard to argue that Parker wasn't more effective. Westbook maybe, but he averaged only 5.5 assists to 3.6 turnovers; he's not a true PG for their team.

Just because he's averaging numbers similar to last season, doesn't mean anything. Each season is different and given the success that the Spurs have had, how does Parker not deserve credit? The Spurs have been fantastic all season long and that lies almost entirely on Parker's play.

Chris Paul, Rondo, Westbrook, Deron, Nash and Rose.

The fact that it’s even debatable that he is a top 3 point guard or not. Should be enough reason not to give him the award. Parker's play is part of reason why they have the record they have, but it’s not the reason. It’s their incredible depth that makes them special. Parker is getting way too much credit here.
Image
Matt Barnes - "I respect all my opponents but I fear no one."

Deron Williams - “I hate ’em, you know,” he said the other day. “I hate the Lakers. They’re so good. I hate them because they win all the time. They’re a tough team. … We definitely talk about it. It’s not a secret. We hate the Lakers.”
User avatar
lakers_09tv

 
Posts: 5798
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:30 pm

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 10 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.