Official LBJ thread: no more roid....errr..carbs =slim

Re: Official LBJ thread: Lebron for President?

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:53 am

He's only fouled out 6 times in his entire career. That'd ridiculous considering how he plays. He has no right to complain.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby 432J on Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:52 pm

432J

Postby Weezy on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:53 pm

:man10: That is awesome, the fans know what's up, takes nothing away from how good he is to mock the flopping either, it's just funny. I have done similar things at the park basketball court just joking around with friends between games or shooting around, only when we've done it it's almost always Chris Pauling.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Re: Official LBJ thread: Lets get our "Lebroning" on!

Postby Basketball Fan on Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:09 am

http://shriverreport.org/americas-worki ... ron-james/

I am honored to participate in a project that is trying to help single mothers who are struggling to make a living and raise their kids, because that perfectly describes my mother when I was growing up. You think LeBron James is a champion? Gloria James is a champion too. She’s my champion.

My mother really struggled. She had me, her only child, when she was just 16 years old. She was on her own, so we lived in her mom’s great big house in Akron, Ohio. But on Christmas Day when I was 3 years old, my grandmother suddenly died of a heart attack, and everything changed. With my mom being so young and lacking any support and the skills and education necessary to get ahead, it was really hard for us.

We lost the house. We moved around from place to place—a dozen times in three years. It was scary. It was catch as catch can, scraping to get by. My mom worked anywhere and everywhere, trying to make ends meet. But through all of that, I knew one thing for sure: I had my mother to blanket me and to give me security. She was my mother, my father, my everything. She put me first. I knew that no matter what happened, nothing and nobody was more important to her than I was. I went without a lot of things, but never for one second did I feel unimportant or unloved.

Finally, when I was 9 years old, my mother made a supreme sacrifice. She decided that while she was figuring out how to get on her feet, I needed some stability in my life. I needed to stay in one place and experience the support and security that she had felt growing up in a big family. So she sent me to live with my pee-wee football team coach, “Big Frankie” Walker, and his family. She later said to me, “It was hard, but I knew it was not about me. It was about you. I had to put you first.”

I stayed with the Walkers for a year, and what a gift that was! I was in the same school all year, slept in the same bed all year, played on the same football team all year, and Big Frankie put me on my first basketball team. I saw my mom every weekend.

When my mother was able to rent a two-bedroom apartment with the help of a government-assistance program, I moved back in with her. We stayed together until I finished high school. The rest is history.

People always say I am devoted to my mother. That’s true, but only because for every minute of my life, she has been devoted to me. My mother taught me what devotion truly means. I have tried to pass along her example by helping kids who are growing up in single-parent homes through the LeBron James Family Foundation and the Boys & Girls Clubs of America.

After the Heat won the 2012 NBA Championship, the team was invited to the White House. Speaking about me, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh, President Barack Obama said, “For all the young men out there who are looking up to them all the time, for them to see somebody who cares about their kids and is there for them day in and day out, that’s a good message to send. It’s a positive message to send, and we’re very proud of them for that.”

The truth is that everything I’ve learned about being a parent to my boys—9-year-old LeBron Jr. and 6-year-old Bryce—I learned from my mother. Everything I know about being loving and caring, and sacrificing and showing up and being present in my children’s lives—I learned all of that from her example.

Gloria James was a working single mother who struggled and got the job done.

And for that, I say, “I love you, Mom. Thank you.”
Basketball Fan

Postby Balance&Options24 on Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:24 am

Lebroning is classic. Ha but he doesn't flop according to the king.

.“It’s kind of the same as when people said I was overrated, I have the same response,” James said. “I don’t need to flop. I play an aggressive game but I don’t flop. I’ve never been one of those guys. I don’t need to flop. I don’t even know how to do it. So it doesn’t mean much to me.”
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby Barnstable on Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:49 pm

Some comments I've seen about this are gold!! :man10:

"I remember 65 million years ago when Boshing was the new thing."

"Kids are also Wade-ing, where they remove all the cartilage from their knees, only show up to 50% of the school days, and stay in class after all the other kids have left to argue grades"
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:55 pm

Weezy wrote::man10: That is awesome, the fans know what's up, takes nothing away from how good he is to mock the flopping either, it's just funny. I have done similar things at the park basketball court just joking around with friends between games or shooting around, only when we've done it it's almost always Chris Pauling.

when my friend and i play, at least once a day one of us goes charging into the other and flails his arms upward, then demands fts. this is hardening.
abeer3

Postby noobiew on Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:33 pm

Lebroning !

Damn, this make Lebron even more popular and famous in the world lol
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby Finwë on Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:28 pm

Completely off topic but I loved this clip (it was at the bottom of the page) from that link 432J posted:

Talent..
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby thkthebest on Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:30 pm

Jerry West. TOO GOOD!!
My signature
thkthebest

Postby Forward Three on Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:29 pm

Just saw a thing on NBA.com where Lebron talked about being a bit 'jealous' that Kevin Durant can take 30+ shots a game. At first it reads a bit like a respectful acknowledgement of another great player in the league but then you remember who is saying it and it starts to seem more passive aggressive and typically conceited. There's really nothing stopping Lebron from shooting 30 times in a game. Sure he has a very stacked team which lets him only ever take the high % shots he wants to take, but come on LJ, you know that nothing is really stopping you. You won't be benched, and the only player who might stop passing you the ball is Wade who has been DNP lately anyway.

But it is also the typical Lebron has his head up his [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] comment that he is prone to making. Where he goes on to say things like: "“I always think about it, though. If I get up high-20s, 30 shots a game, what could I do today, with the way I’m playing?”" There's no denying he's playing great basketball, but the primary greatness is the efficiency which is a direct consequence of _not_ taking 25-30 shots a game. True enough, the games I've seen this season when he does shoot more his efficiency drops, still tends to hover close to 50%, mind you, but it does drop consistently, as is true with just about every scorer ever in the history of the game and why 'efficiency' is a little bit overrated to begin with since it doesn't really scale.

The other thing about this comment that rubs off on me the wrong way is that it demonstrates again that Lebron is very stats-centric and he pays attention to his stats in a way that a lot of players don't. Which isn't to say most players aren't somewhat aware of their clip but Lebron and this dates back years, does seem to care (and talk) about it more than most.

Again, the only person stopping him from shooting more is himself, he knows if he shoots more his efficiency will drop and efficiency is the statement he is trying to make this season so...
Forward Three

Postby Ras Algethi on Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:46 pm

The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby Forward Three on Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:54 pm

Nene served Lebron twice with the big block and then in the final minutes an in-your-face posterization. It's kinda odd though, the dunk went almost unnoticed. The announcers barely got amped for it and there was no replay or multiple angles, Twitter and the likes is talking about it but not as much as you'd expect considering Lebron almost never gets dunked on, and when he does it's usually debatable in some way or another "That wasn't dunked _on_ more like dunked next to!" and all that.

But Nene's dunk was a straight up poster, in Lebron's face, body up, over him and throwing it down. The only thing it lacked was an explosive verticality, since it was Nene doing it and it was in the low post already also the camera angle makes it look even less impressive as a dunk. So it definitely doesn't have the hype factor some other posters get, but still, would have expected more people to be talking about it if only because Lebron getting posterized is so rare.

But with no replays really I doubt it'll even make any top 10s(though his block probably will)
Forward Three

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:17 pm

^Yep, the media tends to downplay the Heat losses and the LeBron moments of getting owned.

But right now, there's not much to get excited about in the NBA besides the Heat. The CBA has taken the life out of teams. And part of the injury issue is IMO from teams only having one star, so they have to run themselves into the ground to get wins.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Forward Three on Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:54 pm

I've been watching a lot of Pacers games and they've been a lot of fun to watch, at first I thought it was just a flash in the pan hot start, but you watch their games and how the team plays and they really do a lot of things 'right' and play with all the familiarity of elite level championship superstars only... without the hundreds of millions of dollars in marketing and hype.
Forward Three

Postby Weezy on Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:24 am

The jealous of Durant thing is hilarious. Poor LeBron he's so good, but a team player first, imagine what he could do if he got 30 shots a game. That's basically what he said, he marveled at how well he's playing and contemplated what he could put up if he wasn't so damn unselfish, only he did it out loud where almost every other player doesn't. He's just a humble dude though. Durant does what he does because he has to, Westbrook is out, Harden is long gone, and they didn't even replace Kevin Martin's scoring in the offseason. Am I hating on LeBron for a really no big deal comment? Absolutely, it's fun.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Forward Three on Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:02 am

Yeah, hating on Bron is kinda fun, but only because he tends to make it pretty easy with a lot of his BS. One thing that kinda bugs me this season is the hard-on everyone has for 'efficiency' all of a sudden, I mean, other than his efficiency, Lebron is having a (by his standards) pretty average/slightly below average sort of season statistically, and most of the efficiency is coming from the fact that he is surrounded by guys who can create offense so of course he's gonna shoot a few shots less and take higher quality looks. He could not be in a more conducive setting for efficient basketball. It's just sort of weird to watch, it feels like un-basketball almost.

But as someone else said the Heat/Lebron are basically the most interesting thing happening in the league right now, for better or worse given all of the injuries and historically bad teams/coaches/fans. I'm almost starting to wish the lockout _had_ lasted longer, if it could have maybe meant recalibrating the league better. But I dunno. It's probably a losing proposition anyway, a lot of people will want to blame the new CBA for any downturns but I'd have to think there's bound to be an adjustment period for a few seasons no matter what happens. It just so happens Lebron and the super friends are in exactly the perfect situation to capitalize the most from such a period and you couple that with the many years of Lebron media hype and self-love and even for as good as he is on the basketball court, hating on him a bit is just a lot more fun than rooting for him.

Not to beat the dead horse but if he had stayed in Cleveland I very much think I would be outright rooting for him completely by now.
Forward Three

Postby havoc33 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:16 am

Hilarious how the ESPN pundits are now hyping Lebron's field goal effeciency all they can in order to warrant him being MVP, although his stats are actually down in most areas and Durant has clearly had a better season than him so far. Like his fg% isn't a result of Lebron being on a stacked team in a weak conference, allowing lebron to pick and choose his spots. He is actually padding his stats and the media is celebrating him for it.

You gotta love how they change it up every year to fit their agenda; one of the writers even said that Lebron was the MVP "because he's still the best player in the league". Are you freaking kidding me? Are we suddenly back to MVP being about the best player in the league now? Funny how that criteria wasn't valid when Nash won two MVPs in a row.
havoc33

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:09 am

KD just put up 30+ shots in a game 7 times in his regular season career ...

Lebron is obsessed with his stats AND nobody would blame him if he took 4-5 additional shots a game ... his constant research of the easiest shot is great ... until it's a close game in the 4th , these easy shots are taken away by the opponent D and Lebron keeps forcing passes and turning down shots ...

I'm still amazed by the fact the majority of the NBA isn't defending him as the Spurs did in the Finals ( and ATL this season) though ...

Give him space , make him a scorer , stop helping off him so much and NO layup on halfcourt sets
wcsoldier81

Postby halekulani on Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:46 am

agreed. if you can focus your efforts on locking down bosh/wade, i think the chances of beating miami goes up significantly. you simply have to make lebron earn it.

the hardest thing abt stopping miami is that they are so unbelievably good in getting transition buckets. they know wade has to spend 3x the energy beating a half court set than going 1 on 1 or 2 v 2.
halekulani

Postby Forward Three on Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:08 pm

Did you know Lebron has only had 5 double doubles this season and no triple doubles(36/4 last season). KD has had 14 DDs and 1 TDs so far(19/3 last season)

Honestly, I'm really not sure how KD isn't having a better statistical season than Lebron this year. Other than efficiency he's at, slightly behind or surpassing Lebron on everything else, but because we(the media) suddenly has an efficiency hard-on hardly anyone is even talking about it. Heck, I'd even argue Kevin Love is having as good of a season statistically as either of them, again not quite there with the efficiency but he's absolutely getting it done everywhere else.
Forward Three

Postby The Original 81 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:57 pm

I tried looking for that poster on Bron from Nene, couldn't find it.

The Heat have been to three straight NBA finals, I'm sure fatigue is a factor. The only thing they have going for them is that their only real competition will be the Pacers in the East.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby BDG on Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:53 pm

The Original 81 wrote:I tried looking for that poster on Bron from Nene, couldn't find it.

The Heat have been to three straight NBA finals, I'm sure fatigue is a factor. The only thing they have going for them is that their only real competition will be the Pacers in the East.

No replay unfortunately:
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Weezy on Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:23 am

I don't think LeBron is MVP right now, and that's me being objective, unless of course it's been changed to the LBJ award and I didn't hear about it. Durant is playing with way less talent, No Westbrook for a lot of the time, and he's got his team at 29-10 in the West, that seems like top candidate to me.

As for the Heat overall, man LeBron's prime couldn't have come at a better time, the NBA and especially the East are at new levels of sucking. Only Indiana has even a chance of challenging Miami in the East. Has any superstar ever had a path this clear, this easy? Look at the teams Magic and Bird had to go through, and Isaiah, and MJ, and Shaq and Kobe, and Duncan, and Kobe and Pau, and any other all time great really, it's not even close in talent level. Has it seriously EVER been this weak of a path for one team? I can't think of another time.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:50 am

^^^^ East has gone weaker and weaker since MJ retired ...

I'll give Heat credit in 2011 and 2012 ... Boston then Bulls in 2011 , Pacers and (depleted) Celtics in 2012 without Bosh were decent competition ... but last season and the current one , they basically need to win 2 series to win it all .
wcsoldier81

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion