Official LBJ thread: no more roid....errr..carbs =slim

Re: Official LBJ thread: Lets get our "Lebroning" on!

Postby Finwë on Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:04 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:KD just put up 30+ shots in a game 7 times in his regular season career ...

Lebron is obsessed with his stats AND nobody would blame him if he took 4-5 additional shots a game ... his constant research of the easiest shot is great ... until it's a close game in the 4th , these easy shots are taken away by the opponent D and Lebron keeps forcing passes and turning down shots ...

I'm still amazed by the fact the majority of the NBA isn't defending him as the Spurs did in the Finals ( and ATL this season) though ...

Give him space , make him a scorer , stop helping off him so much and NO layup on halfcourt sets

Agreed 100%
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby trodgers on Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:30 am

But it is also the typical Lebron has his head up his [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] comment that he is prone to making. Where he goes on to say things like: "“I always think about it, though. If I get up high-20s, 30 shots a game, what could I do today, with the way I’m playing?”" There's no denying he's playing great basketball, but the primary greatness is the efficiency which is a direct consequence of _not_ taking 25-30 shots a game. True enough, the games I've seen this season when he does shoot more his efficiency drops, still tends to hover close to 50%, mind you, but it does drop consistently, as is true with just about every scorer ever in the history of the game and why 'efficiency' is a little bit overrated to begin with since it doesn't really scale.

You know what would be cool? A comparison of James and Durant in high FGA games.

Lebron: 802 games
137 games of 25+ FGA (79 wins)
..In 17% of his games he has shot 25+ times.
..His team's win% in those games is 57.6%
27 games of 30+ FGA (14 wins)
..In 3.4% of his games he has shot 30+ times.
..His team's win% in those games is 51.9%

Durant: 500 games
45 games of 25+ FGA (26 Wins)
..In 9% of his games he has shot 25+ times.
..His team's win% in those games is 57.8%.
7 games of 30+ FGA (4 wins)
..In 1.4% of his games he has shot 30+ times.
..His team's win% in those games is 57.1%

So, Durant takes high% of shots less frequently than LeBron and his team has slightly better success.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:40 am

LeBron James says he's jealous of Kevin Durant, and I believe him. LeBron says he's jealous because Durant takes more shots.

But I don't believe that.

Before we go further, understand two things about LeBron James. One, nobody is stopping him from taking more shots. He has the ball in his hands all game, and he can get a shot whenever he wants one. If he's not shooting as much as Durant, LeBron made that choice. Nobody made it for him.

Two, LeBron is one of the smartest players in the NBA, and not just for his off-the-charts basketball IQ. LeBron is so quick on his feet that he did this to me a couple years ago, and when he talks he doesn't say stuff by accident. He's not a blurter or a hothead. He's mature and he's measured and he's smart, eerily so, and when he says something he has a reason for it.

Which leads to the eye-opening comments LeBron made this week about the Thunder's Kevin Durant, most notably that "I get jealous sometimes when I look over at KD and he's like 16 for 32 [from the field] and then 14 for 34."

LeBron also told ESPN.com's Tom Haberstroh: "There are games where I have it going, and then at the end of the game I'm like, 'Damn, I shot just 12 for 16? Why don't I get up at least six or seven more?' I definitely notice it -- I always think about it, though. If I get up high-20s, 30 shots a game, what could I do today, with the way I'm playing?"

Maybe he could win another MVP.

That's what this is about, see. LeBron is absolutely jealous of Durant, but he's not concerned about the shots. He's concerned about the MVP.

Durant leads the league in scoring at 29.8 ppg, well ahead of LeBron in third place at 25.9 ppg. The scoring championship doesn't equate to the MVP -- Durant has three scoring titles and zero MVP trophies -- but Durant has never outscored LeBron like he's outscoring him this season. Durant won his first scoring title in 2010, starting a run where he won three titles in four years, and in that time he outscored LeBron by a total of 3.7 ppg. Combined, over four years.

This season he's outscoring LeBron by 3.9 ppg.

And Durant isn't just outscoring him. For the first time in his career he's putting up all-around numbers that rival LeBron's. He's averaging more points than LeBron (29.8 to 25.9 ppg), more rebounds (8.1 to 6.7 rpg), more steals (1.5 to 1.3) and even more blocked shots (0.8 to 0.3). LeBron has Durant in assists (6.5 to 4.9), but not by the overwhelming margin he has enjoyed in recent years. LeBron shoots more efficiently from the floor, but Durant has him from the foul line.

Since OKC teammate Russell Westbrook (knee) went out on Dec. 27, Durant has elevated his game to an absurd level: 35 points, 9.1 rebounds, 5.4 assists.

Add it up, and Durant is leading the NBA in Player Efficiency Rating and Win Shares, the closest thing basketball has to baseball's WAR, and two categories that LeBron has dominated for six years -- when he won four MVP trophies and should've won five, but the backlash to The Decision caused him to slip to third in 2011 behind Derrick Rose (and even Dwight Howard).

LeBron chart. (Provided)
Point is, Durant has passed LeBron as the front-runner for MVP, and timing is everything, which is why LeBron said what he said this week -- not last month or next month. Next month, see, it might be too late. Why not last month? Because last month LeBron was the front-runner for MVP.

But in the last few days, NBA.com has updated its "MVP Ladder" -- and what do you know? Durant just passed LeBron for first. That coincides with what USA Today wrote in its weekly MVP rankings, and with the recent change at the top of Bovada's MVP odds, and with what Haberstroh said a few days earlier on ESPN's Numbers Never Lie: Durant has passed LeBron in the race for MVP.

And this is the week LeBron picked to say he's jealous of the number of shots Durant gets? This is the week he wonders "what could I do today, with the way I'm playing," if he shot as much? This is the week he tries to shape the message about Durant's monster season?

Come on.

LeBron doesn't say stuff by accident. Nor does he make estimates on statistics. He said Durant has had games of "like 16 for 32 and then 14 for 34," which is cute because Durant wasn't like 16 for 32 or 14 for 34. He was exactly 16 for 32 on Jan. 4 at Minnesota, and then he was exactly 14 for 34 on Jan. 7 at Utah. Other than those two games, Durant has averaged 18.3 shots in his last 16 games. In about the same stretch, LeBron has averaged 17.6 shots from the field. Not much of a gap.

None of that means LeBron is a bad guy, or a conniving guy. But it's awfully convenient that LeBron says this stuff now, days after the media has anointed Durant the MVP leader. LeBron wants that trophy because he's a competitor, and because he's playing for his place in history, and if he stacks MVP trophies so high that not even 7-foot-7 Shawn Bradley can see over them, how could anyone deny LeBron his place as the greatest ever?

That's also what this is about, if you ask me. LeBron wants to catch Michael Jordan. To catch him he has to hold off Kevin Durant, but Durant is leading LeBron in various MVP projections and in PER and in Win Shares and in the scoring race and is the only player threatening to get more fan All-Star votes (1.05 million for Durant) than LeBron (1.08 million votes).

Which brings me back to some stuff from earlier in this story: LeBron James says he's jealous of Kevin Durant -- and LeBron doesn't say anything by accident.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/writer/gregg-doyel/24410776/lebrons-comments-about-durant-are-really-about-angling-for-another-mvp
wcsoldier81

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:36 am

Dear God, I hope he loses...
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:48 am

Stern created the monster and now we have to watch him. Hopefully he wins nothing this year.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Forward Three on Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:56 pm

KD making Lebron look stupid(er) by dropping a career best 54-points on 68% shooting with 28 shots fired.
Forward Three

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:00 am

^^^^ The frozen one took 28 shots this season against ATL and scored 38 ... last season 29 against Foston and scored 39 :man6: :man6:
wcsoldier81

Postby Forward Three on Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:52 pm

I mean, Lebron has had some absolutely mind bogglingly good games statistically in his career. But he also sort of 'tops out' around 35 points in a way too, he's too concerned with padding the rest of his stats, and it's rare(especially these days) that he really guns it or 'gets mad' in that way. Guys like Durant, Kobe, when they go beast mode you don't really know where it'll stop.
Forward Three

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:41 pm

Despite the fact that ESPN highlights his different shot selection, which makes him look like a great versatile jump-shooter, LeBron is not very effecient as a jump-shooter. And that's the way to make it to 50 points within regulation, make a lot of jumpers, not just threes. LeBron can't make it to 50 with layups and dunks, unless it's a scripted game like Wilt's 100.
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:47 pm

Ramon Sessions dunked on Lebron tonight.

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:12 pm

I'm shocked it's on an ESPN YouTube channel, I'd never expect that to get past their censors.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Forward Three on Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:32 pm

I only watched a bit of that game but I forgot just how fast Ramon Sessions is. It's kind of surprising he's not more of a force in the league really, he has all the tools, seems to understand the game, is one of the fastest guards on the floor and is solid defensively, but he's a perennial off-the-bench journeyman.
Forward Three

Postby trodgers on Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:30 am

Forward Three wrote:I only watched a bit of that game but I forgot just how fast Ramon Sessions is. It's kind of surprising he's not more of a force in the league really, he has all the tools, seems to understand the game, is one of the fastest guards on the floor and is solid defensively, but he's a perennial off-the-bench journeyman.

Mentality, I think. It's a mindset for him. He came to LA, was loose, and tore it up. Then all of a sudden he was Derek Fisher.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Weezy on Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:53 pm

trodgers wrote:
Forward Three wrote:I only watched a bit of that game but I forgot just how fast Ramon Sessions is. It's kind of surprising he's not more of a force in the league really, he has all the tools, seems to understand the game, is one of the fastest guards on the floor and is solid defensively, but he's a perennial off-the-bench journeyman.

Mentality, I think. It's a mindset for him. He came to LA, was loose, and tore it up. Then all of a sudden he was Derek Fisher.

His first game or first few, they said just go out there and do your thing and he was good. Then he started running Brown's "offense" and he looked way worse, Brown made him Fisher on offense. His playoff disappearance with us was inexcusable though, he looked scared as hell, got torn up.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:20 am

I feel bad for Lebron. No DWade and now he's admitting it's been tough on the Heat. If only they had another 2nd option, someone that used to be the man on his previous team to come in and help Lebron out.

It's just so hard to win these days without 3 superstars. The pain, the horror, the tragedy of having to try and win with two superstar players. It has to be difficult.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:39 am

^no kidding. We saw that three all-stars in their primes on one team is virtually unbeatable in the playoffs. No championship team has been able to assemble a true big three since 08 Boston. Of course Showtime had FOUR.
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Weezy on Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:56 pm

Doc Brown wrote:I feel bad for Lebron. No DWade and now he's admitting it's been tough on the Heat. If only they had another 2nd option, someone that used to be the man on his previous team to come in and help Lebron out.

It's just so hard to win these days without 3 superstars. The pain, the horror, the tragedy of having to try and win with two superstar players. It has to be difficult.

Especially when you consider how difficult the East is this season. They lost to some serious juggler knot teams recently, Knicks, Nets, Wizards, Hawks, I mean damn that is a tough stretch to get through without 3 healthy superstars.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Forward Three on Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:12 pm

Forward Three

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:35 pm

:man10: :man10:
LTLakerFan

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:03 am

Doc Brown wrote:I feel bad for Lebron. No DWade and now he's admitting it's been tough on the Heat. If only they had another 2nd option, someone that used to be the man on his previous team to come in and help Lebron out.

So what's the excuse to not go off like KD in these Wade-less games then ? Getting Oden more shots ?
wcsoldier81

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:54 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:

So what's the excuse to not go off like KD in these Wade-less games then ? Getting Oden more shots ?

His shooting %. If he was forced to take more shots like KD does, that would involve taking shots that are contested on the perimeter. Seeing as Lebron is about the stats, I don't think he's willing to let a few fly and lower his %.
Doc Brown

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:33 am

Yeah he's full of ish ... complaining he can't take too many shots then complaining about the team missing its 2nd option ... KD is a better scorer period .

By the way , off topic but this is pretty cool in the nba.com stats database ... you can see a short video of every play which happened in a game .

http://stats.nba.com/playerGameLogs.html#PlayerID=201142&pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=25

You can see all 12 FG by KD against SAS by instance ... it's great when you look for a particular play ...
wcsoldier81

Re: Official LBJ thread: Honor to behold!

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:38 pm

OK. As I watched the game last night and listened to all the amazing ways to discribe all the amazing things that Lebron does on the basketball court I had a thought. Lebron James is an amazingly gifted athlete. He is fast as hell and just as strong. There is no denying the overall skill and game that Lebron has and without all the "extras" of the announcers you can see his skill level. That being said, I honestly would take Kobe, MJ, Magic and Kareem above him if I had to choose. I know many will say "you are crazy" which is understandable because I think many people have been sold a bill of goods by the media masses. After hearing Charles Barkley (yea I know) say things like "Oh my no one has been able to handle a ball with his size, well magic comes to mind a bit, like Lebron" made me go :bang: If Lebron was on the Lakers I would be happy as hell the guy is that good but I do not see the Greatest of All Time when I watch him play. Stats and all! I know many will disagree but I'm firm in what I have concluded. This isn't some "hate" rant either it just is what I believe.
Last edited by puffyusaf#2 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:00 pm

Lebron James is the greatest basketball play I have ever seen; he has passed Jordan with just his 2nd title...he's amazing.
lukewaltonsdad

Postby Barnstable on Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:21 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:OK. As I watched the game last night and listened to all the amazing ways to discribe all the amazing things that Lebron does on the basketball court I had a thought. Lebron James is an amazingly gifted athlete. He is fast as hell and just as strong. There is no denying the overall skill and game that Lebron has and without all the "extras" of the announcers you can see his skill level. That being said, I honestly would take Kobe, MJ, Magic and Kareem above him if I had to choose. I know many will say "you are crazy" which is understandable because I think many people have been sold a bill of goods by the media masses. After hearing Charles Barkley (yea I know) say things like "Oh my no one has been able to handle a ball with his size, well magic comes to mind a bit, like Lebron" made me go :bang: If Lebron was on the Lakers I would be happy as hell the guy is that good but I do not see the Greatest of All Time when I watch him play. Stats and all! I know many will disagree but I'm firm in what I have concluded. This isn't some "hate" rant either it just is what I believe.

+1

And I might take Tim Duncan in his prime over LeBron too
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion