Official LBJ thread: Does a return home help the King?

Re: Official LBJ thread: Honor to behold!

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:09 pm

Lebron is about to me stalking Melo now.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Forward Three on Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:07 pm

So, with KD and Melo both posting career highs in addition to Lebron jawing about what he 'could do if only', you think he might try and have a statement game any time soon? Realistically, he just as easily could have done against the Lakers save for Bosh heating up. I remember when Kobe dropped 61 at MSG, Bron came in and did 52 or something like that a day or two later and I think there have been a couple of other times when Bron has scored above 50 where it was within a week or so away from someone else's big night.

To be honest, I wouldn't even fault him if he decided to just go for a huge night. The Heat have alternated looking bored and looking under matched most of the season. Now would also be the time to do it with Wade sitting out so many games. Of course, on that team he would have to sacrifice his assists to score more than 50 so maybe he never would.

I dunno, I'd like to see him go for it if the situation presented itself, his earlier years in the league he flirted with being a dominant scorer, but as he has been around longer I think he's found that's not really his game but he certainly still has the capacity to do it.
Forward Three

Postby havoc33 on Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:24 am

From ESPN:

"LeBron says his teammates would have to essentially beg or threaten him to keep going for 60 or 70 after he'd hit 50."

Right. Just shut up, Lebron. First its the envy of KD shot attempts (although no one is stopping him from shooting more except for himself), and now he wouldn't drop 60 even if he could. Someone is getting a tiny bit insecure about all the media attention that is going towards these recent scoring outbursts.
havoc33

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:57 pm

Forward Three wrote:
To be honest, I wouldn't even fault him if he decided to just go for a huge night. The Heat have alternated looking bored and looking under matched most of the season. Now would also be the time to do it with Wade sitting out so many games. Of course, on that team he would have to sacrifice his assists to score more than 50 so maybe he never would.

I dunno, I'd like to see him go for it if the situation presented itself, his earlier years in the league he flirted with being a dominant scorer, but as he has been around longer I think he's found that's not really his game but he certainly still has the capacity to do it.

Lebron did try for the big scoring night right after Kobe went for 61 at MSG. He made it through the first half and wasn't having the game and turned to trying to get the Triple-double instead. He had a great game but he couldn't do it. I think he woud need a lot of help from the officials (which I suppose they all do when they score huge numbers). What I find interesting is lately Lebron is showing his sensitive side.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Barnstable on Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:53 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
Forward Three wrote:

Lebron did try for the big scoring night right after Kobe went for 61 at MSG. He made it through the first half and wasn't having the game and turned to trying to get the Triple-double instead. He had a great game but he couldn't do it. I think he woud need a lot of help from the officials (which I suppose they all do when they score huge numbers). What I find interesting is lately Lebron is showing his sensitive side.

He's so sensitive he needs a moist wipe.

I honestly doubt he could score 60+. He just doesn't have the mentality to do it himself. As much as LeBron is praised for his all around game, people should realize that's his strength.... all around game. Doesn't mean he has what it takes to decide "I'm going to drop 50 tonight" the way Kobe, MJ, or even KD (eventually) might be able to.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Forward Three on Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:30 pm

Lebron from a few seasons ago definitely could have gone for 60+ (though unlikely with 6+ assists as well), I doubt today's Lebron could or would though, partially because he's not playing enough minutes, but also because he tends to only play in bursts anyway.
Forward Three

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:51 pm

Barnstable wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:
Forward Three wrote:

He's so sensitive he needs a moist wipe.

I honestly doubt he could score 60+. He just doesn't have the mentality to do it himself. As much as LeBron is praised for his all around game, people should realize that's his strength.... all around game. Doesn't mean he has what it takes to decide "I'm going to drop 50 tonight" the way Kobe, MJ, or even KD (eventually) might be able to.

I think the main reason I don't think LBJ will go for 60 is because he worries about his stats too much. Kobe and MJ and even Melo worry about destroying folks no matter what the numbers are in the end.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:51 pm

32/14/10 for KD tonight, your move Lebron.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Barnstable on Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:14 pm

Forward Three wrote:Lebron from a few seasons ago definitely could have gone for 60+ (though unlikely with 6+ assists as well), I doubt today's Lebron could or would though, partially because he's not playing enough minutes, but also because he tends to only play in bursts anyway.

If he couldn't get 60 on that Cleveland team, with all the heavy lifting he had to do, he's not going to get 60 IMO.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:23 pm

He probably can't do it. The highlights every night make it look like he can make 20 3-pointers, but his shooting is streaky if goes for it. He picks his spots carefully, to keep his shooting % up.

You can't dunk your way to 60 points. 25+ dunks plus some FTs will lead to an abdominal strain.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:41 pm

^ :man10: ^
puffyusaf#2

Postby Forward Three on Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:39 pm

Yeah, watching him today I kind of take it back. Like, I think it is still possible in a distant sort of 'has the tools' sense, but Lebron is not only too streaky of a shooter overall but he plays the game very conservatively these days. He picks his spots, he's very selective about how much effort he's giving to any given sequence, he conserves energy...etc.

If he was 35 I'd actually be saying these are great qualities but that he is still at his peak and playing like an 18-year vet makes me a little disappointed because even for as much as I kind of dislike the guy, I still like basketball enough that I want to see someone with his talent having a no limits mentality every night. It's wrong to say he's 'gone soft' but he kind of has, he's never had the murderer mentality but today he has it even less, surrounded by talented players and a competent coach, most of any given game he has the luxury to play down and 'just chill', he still gets to hold the ball enough that he gets his numbers and you'll still see him occasionally go for 35 or something and try to take over the game, but it's pretty clear that's not what he's trying to do anymore.

Which, again, I'd understand more if he was on the decline and trying to stay in the league(just as I'd understand forming the super friends better if he had waited until he was a bit older)

--

I guess when you look at it though, it is possible that even though he's only 29 the amount of minutes he's logged on a body like his that his 'sports age' might be closer to 35 anyway. At some point being prototypically bigger/faster/stronger than your peers you'd think that has to catch up to you in terms of prematurely short lasting power. I mean he still gets out in transition, he still has his 'afterburner' speed but his ball handling which has never been great has gotten worse and it'd be unfair to say he lumbers in the paint but he's definitely not carving people up like he could before. Probably making a molehill out of it, it's just as fair to say he's simply being smart and waiting for the playoffs.

Whatever it is with him, can't stop talking about it either way, he's a fascinating player.
Forward Three

Postby Forward Three on Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:45 pm

To put that in other words, we always used to joke when he came into the league that he looked like he was 30 already, maybe there is some truth to that in a way, that when he was 18 he was physically more like a 21 year old to where now that he is 29 he's physically more like a 33+ year old. I dunno, probably nothing there, but it is a thought.
Forward Three

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:26 pm

so all day the ESPN machine has been talking about Bron vs KD with the who is the MVP etc debate. At the 6 min mark of the 4th quarter Miami is getting smashed by 20 on their own court.
LBJ has 29pt 3 bds and 3 ast with a +/- of -17.
KD has 33pts 7bds 4 ast and 2 steals with a +/- +18

Game isn't over but if it holds how does it affect the King?
puffyusaf#2

Postby thkthebest on Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:02 pm

Do you mean how it affects him for the MVP? It shouldn't affect him in any manner since KD should be everyone's favorite anyway.
My signature
thkthebest

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:15 pm

yea how does it affect his MVP chase? ESPN has been on one about how this game means a lot to Lebron. How he was pissed when Rose got the MVP over him and that he was going to go out and show everyone he is the MVP.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Balance&Options24 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:31 pm

Waiting for Magic to proclaim KD the greatest player in the world.
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby Forward Three on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:25 pm

I don't know what it is but just about every time Lebron says anything about 'big' games or other good players it just seems like he'd be better off not saying anything. Prior to tonight's game he said something about how he 'likes to go up against the best' and it's like, um, no in fact you like to form a super team comprised of contemporary and former bests. Then he says something about how he can only play his game and he wouldn't change his game to win an MVP race, but then he goes ahead and plays a game tonight that is primarily scoring and less everything else he is known for.

I dunno.

Both he and KD were fun to watch tonight. KD seemed to take Lebron head-on a bit more than Lebron was taking KD head-on, but they both got it done in their own way and you can't really pin the victory or loss on either of them individually. The Heat team at large seemed a bit unfocused while the Thunder bench was scoring quickly and efficiently. Good game all around.
Forward Three

Postby Weezy on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:36 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:so all day the ESPN machine has been talking about Bron vs KD with the who is the MVP etc debate. At the 6 min mark of the 4th quarter Miami is getting smashed by 20 on their own court.
LBJ has 29pt 3 bds and 3 ast with a +/- of -17.
KD has 33pts 7bds 4 ast and 2 steals with a +/- +18

Game isn't over but if it holds how does it affect the King?

It's a regular season award, so IMO this has to have an impact on LeBron's chances. With a lot of things in the NBA you can say "eh it's the regular season", but not the MVP. LeBron has his superteam at 32-13 in the East, Durant has his IMO decent team at 37-10 in the West and has been on a tear. To me that says Durant is the MVP front runner at this current time, I don't see how it can be argued any other way.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Iceberg Slim on Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:36 am

Durant gave Lebron work tonight. 2:00 left in the 2nd and KD just starts pulling from 30'. The dribble drive-spin-step back J he gave Bron in the 4th (I believe) sealed it for me. I just shook my head. Kevin Durant was hungrier, faster, and smarter than Lebron James in almost every facet of the game. It wasn't Bird vs Nique' 1988, but it was fun. KD embraced the moment and showed up.
www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Iceberg Slim

Postby Basketball Fan on Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:24 pm

So what did you guys think of LeBron saying "retarded" I expected more backlash.
Basketball Fan

Postby MadMax on Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:39 pm

Basketball Fan wrote:So what did you guys think of LeBron saying "retarded" I expected more backlash.

Source? Context? I'd have to see the video/read the quote to make a judgment.
MadMax

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:17 pm

He's said it before. Not really expecting anything to change going forward.
Doc Brown

Postby Exonyte on Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:36 pm

Exonyte

Postby noobiew on Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:43 pm

"Lebroning" to full effect !
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion