Official LBJ thread: no more roid....errr..carbs =slim

Re: Official LBJ thread: LBJ on Mount Rushmore of NBA Gods!

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:41 pm

There will be a Lebron's Greatest Game Winners list tomorrow for sure. Also Skip and Stephen A will have to discuss the clutchness of Lebron compared to the other greats (excluding Kobe of course).
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:51 pm

I really can't stand all this mount rushmore talk from him. With all that said, that was a big time shot he hit against the Warriors tonight. I'll admit when he took the 3 against Iggy there at the end I said no way in hell that is going in.

I still don't like you Lebron, but I'm not ignorant and will gladly say great shot when its due. (tip my cap to you tonight)

Let talk begin all over ESPN..... :nono2:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby jbiggs on Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:34 am

im glad i checked this thread before watching tv...no espn for me anytime soon
KOBE FOR LIFE
jbiggs
ClubCavs.com Administrator

Location: Born in South Torrance (So Cal) and currently in Point Loma

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:06 am

You cannot leave Kareem out of the top 3 with the kind of resume and longevity he had ...

He definetely has a solid case for the GOAT title when you take ONLY the game of B-Ball into consideration , and not popularity , personality and stardom ...

You can put MJ over him , maybe Magic ( it's a stretch imo) but that's it
wcsoldier81

Postby Punk-101 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:08 am

Forward Three wrote:Everyone kinda hated Lebron when he left Cleveland and did the decision and all that, he tried to play 'the villain' but didn't want to be hated, now he's been doing an image rehab thing for the past couple of seasons(largely sponsored by Samsung) but he just keeps mouthing off. What has always bugged me about Lebron's talk is that it's not like the usual athlete braggadocio, it's more like he's specifically buying into the ESPN/Nike narrative about him. The way he refers to himself is how you'd expect the average Miami Heat (or Cavaliers) bandwagon forum troll to refer to him, and that's just bizarre to see in real time. The message is also different. Kobe didn't usually mouth off and is widely regarded as being one of the more antisocial superstars, but when he did the message was usually more about endurance, play-through-pain, perseverance, determination, not just a panache of generalized 'I'm the greatest because I'm the greatest, don't you read SI?" And again unlike your typical athlete braggadocio, when push came to shove, Lebron teamed up with shove and pushed everyone else around. So the message can't be about competitiveness or triumph or overcoming anything, he took the easiest road possible. It's also not about proving he's the best through challenging himself against the rest of the field, again, he'd rather join forces than actually fight. (This also reflects in his play style, he 'challenges' himself more by trying to tweak his stat line in interesting ways and has a long history of deferring and shying out of high pressure situations) So you're just left with this impotent sort of sterile simulacra of ego that feels entirely manufactured for the purpose of selling shoes and jerseys... only he seems to genuinely believe it.

Of course he kinda wins either way because only basketball junkies can really point to the incredible amount of stacking and good fortune Lebron needed to win his titles, Only basketball fans really care about flopping(to which Lebron can hide under the 'everyone does it' myth), only people paying attention really care to notice any of this stuff, but who cares about that anymore? the world has never been more steeped in irrational celebrity cults and celebrity-for-the-sake-of-celebrity nonsense that when you have someone who is legitimately a superstar anyway but who acts like a Kardashian on top of that, well... they get the best of both worlds somehow while everyone else can only shake their heads.

I enjoyed reading this. Thanks and good post.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Savory Griddles on Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:17 am

Lebron/Garnett/Pierce/Wade

The Mount Rushmore of Basketball.
Savory Griddles

Postby MadMax on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:34 pm

Punk-101 wrote:
Forward Three wrote:Everyone kinda hated Lebron when he left Cleveland and did the decision and all that, he tried to play 'the villain' but didn't want to be hated, now he's been doing an image rehab thing for the past couple of seasons(largely sponsored by Samsung) but he just keeps mouthing off. What has always bugged me about Lebron's talk is that it's not like the usual athlete braggadocio, it's more like he's specifically buying into the ESPN/Nike narrative about him. The way he refers to himself is how you'd expect the average Miami Heat (or Cavaliers) bandwagon forum troll to refer to him, and that's just bizarre to see in real time. The message is also different. Kobe didn't usually mouth off and is widely regarded as being one of the more antisocial superstars, but when he did the message was usually more about endurance, play-through-pain, perseverance, determination, not just a panache of generalized 'I'm the greatest because I'm the greatest, don't you read SI?" And again unlike your typical athlete braggadocio, when push came to shove, Lebron teamed up with shove and pushed everyone else around. So the message can't be about competitiveness or triumph or overcoming anything, he took the easiest road possible. It's also not about proving he's the best through challenging himself against the rest of the field, again, he'd rather join forces than actually fight. (This also reflects in his play style, he 'challenges' himself more by trying to tweak his stat line in interesting ways and has a long history of deferring and shying out of high pressure situations) So you're just left with this impotent sort of sterile simulacra of ego that feels entirely manufactured for the purpose of selling shoes and jerseys... only he seems to genuinely believe it.

Of course he kinda wins either way because only basketball junkies can really point to the incredible amount of stacking and good fortune Lebron needed to win his titles, Only basketball fans really care about flopping(to which Lebron can hide under the 'everyone does it' myth), only people paying attention really care to notice any of this stuff, but who cares about that anymore? the world has never been more steeped in irrational celebrity cults and celebrity-for-the-sake-of-celebrity nonsense that when you have someone who is legitimately a superstar anyway but who acts like a Kardashian on top of that, well... they get the best of both worlds somehow while everyone else can only shake their heads.

I enjoyed reading this. Thanks and good post.

I agree. That was really good.
MadMax

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:36 pm

I agree well said Forward.

To piggy back what you wrote I think Lebron's sensitivity is showing itself more and more each day. I don't recall any upper tier player being so touchy about his place in history.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Weezy on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:07 pm

LEBRONSPN complaint, Ennis hits a buzzer beater from 35 feet to win his game and keep his team undefeated at 24-0 in a college season where every game counts more, gets the number 2 spot on ESPN top plays. LeBron has to hit a buzzer beater to get a win after being being up 21 at one point in a game in February, gets the top play. Ok LEBRONSPN.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby John3:16 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:18 pm

Weezy wrote:LEBRONSPN complaint, Ennis hits a buzzer beater from 35 feet to win his game and keep his team undefeated at 24-0 in a college season where every game counts more, gets the number 2 spot on ESPN top plays. LeBron has to hit a buzzer beater to get a win after being being up 21 at one point in a game in February, gets the top play. Ok LEBRONSPN.

To be fair, LeBron's game winner was much more then one game. It was his first in his career, so it was MUCH bigger news. Ennis has done this before, so it's old news.

Now, if LeBron makes 50 more of those, he'll be half way to Kobe's mark.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:14 pm

That's funny, because it's not far off the truth. Reali said on Around the Horn today that LeBron is now 2 for 12 in his career on go-ahead threes with 10 seconds or less left in a game. So it's the second game winning 3 he's hit, I assume the other was 'the greatest playoff buzzer beater ever' he hit against the Magic in '09. He's got more go ahead buckets to win games at the end, but I think they're usually layups. Kobe has a lot of missed last second threes and shots in his career too, but that's also because he is willing to always take them, rather than pass it off to someone else.

Only reason I bring that up is I read some huge breakdown of how many last second shots Kobe has missed yesterday compared to LeBron, and well, you can't miss them if you don't take them, and you pass it out to guys like Bosh to shoot the 3 instead. I guess it just irks me that just because Kobe is out injured people act like he never existed and LeBron is doing crazy things we've never seen before.

But good for LeBron on his 2nd last second game winning 3 in 11 seasons, so clutch. :jam2: Kobe had 5 game winners either at the buzzer or within the last 5 seconds in the '09/'10 season alone, and 3 of them were 3 pointers, but I don't remember each one getting talked about on every ESPN show there is, or getting the top play each time. Dude also hit two buzzer beater threes in one game vs Portland in '04. Hell, I think Joe Hohnaon has more game winners this season than LeBron does for his career. But hey, I guess it's not as impressive because he's not The Kang. LeBron really should thank Ray Allen every single day, because if it wasn't for his huge game 6 3 in last years finals, LeBron wouldn't have had a chance for a big game 7, and all we'd remember is his mediocre rest of the series and his legacy would look a little different right now.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:52 pm

Sports Media has forced fed us the greatness of Lebron. The shot was huge for sure. It was a nice stepback and 3. I watched one show and the guy said, "of course you let Lebron take that shot he was like 1 for 11." I laughed cause the truth is he was the one you wanted to take the last second shot over Ray Allen or even Chalmers. Now going to the rack that is a different question cause Lebron can get to the rim at will but they act like it was the OMG did you see that amazingness? Hasn't Nick Young had one better than that this season?
puffyusaf#2

Postby Weezy on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:58 pm

Maybe, but this is LeBron, so it's better... for some reason.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby John3:16 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:38 pm

Miami was smart not to call a timeout. You never want to give Golden State the opportunity to set up the defense. Knowing who to guard LeBron as he inbounds the ball is critical.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:45 pm

I don't think Iggy played bad D on him. He had Lebron taking a step back, falling back deep 3-pointer. GSW had the guy they wanted on him. He just made the play (finally). The greatest play to end all important games.
puffyusaf#2

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:57 pm

WOW... During the Lakers game TNT showed a commercial for Lebron's All Star game interview. It wasn't just a quick "hey we got this coming up." No, it was a whole lead up production of him getting drafted by Cavs to him winning Championships with Miami. Wow. I have never seen this before.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Scnottaken on Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:45 pm

Waitwaitwaitwait. . . Isn't LeBron the POSTER CHILD for joining other people to get a ring?
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby Forward Three on Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:58 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:I don't think Iggy played bad D on him. He had Lebron taking a step back, falling back deep 3-pointer. GSW had the guy they wanted on him. He just made the play (finally). The greatest play to end all important games.

I think it was good defense any other time of the game but a final possession where a 3 will win it. In Iggy's defense though, Lebron usually passes that shot so you know...
Forward Three

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:24 am

Lebron just made a tough shot ... I always say make Lebron beat you from the outside and stop helping so much .

It was a more clever D than playing him for the drive , helping and leaving freaking Allen alone ... which already happened 1573983893 times since RayRay joined the Heat

Lebron will make this shot 2 or 3 times out of 10 ... I will live with this shot every time

The troll in me would have fouled him intentionally and force him to make 2 FTs ... knowing his choked history in these situations ... but no NBA coach will ( rightfully) do that
wcsoldier81

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:30 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:I don't think Iggy played bad D on him. He had Lebron taking a step back, falling back deep 3-pointer. GSW had the guy they wanted on him. He just made the play (finally). The greatest play to end all important games.

yep .. I'd say Iggy could have stayed closer a few seconds before the shot since Lebron had already made his mind up to go for the win ... but I'm just nitpicking here
wcsoldier81

Postby Forward Three on Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:09 pm

Was poking around on the new Player Tracking stats on NBA . com where they keep track of things like distance traveled, average speed, total drives, and other cool advanced stats. Was a bit surprised to see that Lebron's average speed is near the absolute bottom of the list at 3.8mph. Of course this is largely due to the way he plays, he tends to dribble slowly and patiently before making a drive but still with all the fast break opportunities he gets you'd kinda think his average would be higher than guys like Joel Anthony and Kevin Garnett.

Also a bit surprised that most guys only average about 2.5 miles traveled per game. Somehow expected it'd be more than that.

Cool stuff though, dunno how accurate it all is, but it's cool to see the league poking around with these types of analytics.
Forward Three

Postby 432J on Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:03 pm

lebron is an unnatural talent and will be a top 10 player by the time he retires

but i still feel like his legacy is a little messy because of 3 things

-Didn't win a title until fulfilling his premeditated plan of teaming up with wade and bosh
-Eastern Conference has been a joke almost his entire career
-He owes stern a huge favour for the cp3 veto. We'd be looking at an entirely different NBA had cp3 come to the lakers
432J

LeBron Asked Again About NBA's Mt. Rushmore

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:32 pm

Ethan J. Skolnick ‏@EthanJSkolnick 17m

On @SiriusXMNBA, LeBron was asked again about Mt Rushmore. He mentioned Wilt, Kobe, Elgin, Kareem. Said we need to "build another mountain."

https://twitter.com/EthanJSkolnick/stat ... 6085327874
Kobe8Fan

Re: LeBron Asked Again About NBA's Mt. Rushmore

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:24 pm

Oooh...so Kobe makes it on Mt. Rushmore Jr.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Re: LeBron Asked Again About NBA's Mt. Rushmore

Postby karacha on Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:34 pm

I've always liked Bron. Do it, Mitch. :man10:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion