Official LBJ thread: no more roid....errr..carbs =slim

Re: Official LBJ thread: Kobe never as good as LBJ (THEONE24)

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:49 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:
John3:16 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:I thought the game Sunday was really fun to watch between these two. Kobe showed some offensive prowess, but it was really clear who the best player in the NBA was.

Agree. Sadly.

LeBron, right now, is on a whole 'nother level.

Well Lebron is playing his 10th , Kobe his 17th ... I don't think it's "sad" , it's just normal ...

Kobe has a case of being the 3rd best player in the league in his 17th season (definetely top 5) is AMAZING and maybe unprecedented ( only Kareem ... maybe , I didn't witness this era so can't tell)

Very true. Lebron is playing great. He has even found that Jumper that I was positive he would never find but I wouldn't be sad that Kobe may finally have taken a step back in the "best in game" race. That being said, I think we would all be foolish to think that if Kobe wanted to take over the game he could. I think we mis-interpret the kobe "Iso" as its just trying to get him going. I think its Kobe still sticking with the plan but teammates have to move without the ball. In the end, at his 17th season the sports media still has to try and descredit what he does to make others look better. That says a lot in my book.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:58 am

John3:16 wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:Kobe has a case of being the 3rd best player in the league in his 17th season (definetely top 5) is AMAZING and maybe unprecedented ( only Kareem ... maybe , I didn't witness this era so can't tell)

I'm a HUGE Kareem fan. he wasn't top 5 in his 17th year. Maybe his 15th year. By 1985, the Lakers turned the focus of the team to Magic. Kareem was still vital to their success (MVP of the Finals that year), but he wasn't the dominant player he was in years prior. Nor would he be again.

I've never seen someone this dominant this late in their career. Once in a generation talent.

Yeah Kareem in '85 was the same beast, but a different animal.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Re: Official LBJ thread: Can the best today get better

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:45 pm

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8939726/coast-coast-comparing-lebron-james-michael-jordan
These comparisons. :bang:

Why? Can't you losers wait until he wins 2 more rings? My god.

Adande taking jabs at Kobe too....wtf does LeBron & Jordan have to do with Kobe "padding" his resume. Adande is a f**** loser. Go sell interior decorations you moron.

Actually, Israel is pretty rational and his stuff is worth reading. It's actually intelligent. Adande is just an emotional tampon.
Chillbongo

Postby Weezy on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:49 pm

Wow that "LeBron can never be Jordan now because he left his team to join 2 stars" stuff sure went away quick. So did the argument that he couldn't catch him because he was 0-2 in his first 2 Finals and Jordan never lost. Oh well though, seems the media will continue to change their minds until it fits LeBron being the best ever. He's great, but come on.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby thisbjgz on Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:10 pm

I hate how the media nowadays will never remember just how DOMINANT Kobe Bean was during the early 2000s...oh how quickly they forget. I'd still choose a prime Kobe over a prime Lebron 100/100 times.
thisbjgz

Postby Forward Three on Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:34 pm

I said as much earlier in the thread but a thing about Lebron's game that is weird to me, especially for the praise he gets, is that he doesn't really have "moves". He isn't someone who is liable to kill you with a crossover or a fake. He's not the type of player who will put you on a spin cycle because of his footwork. He doesn't have a 'move, a backup move and a bailout move".

Which is not to say he can't, you can find great examples of him doing great stuff all around, but for the most part, the way he plays just isn't based around footwork and fakes.
Forward Three

Postby v1n5anity on Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:15 pm

So prime LeBron > prime Kobe in everything except scoring.

But since '03, Kobe has had 303 30+ point games...LeBron has 301. At the same time, Kobe has taken 30+ shots since then in 77 games, while LeBron has only done that 27 times. And yes, he gets it done in the clutch now too. So how exactly is prime Kobe better than prime LeBron? With the way LeBron is playing he may very well win 4-5 rings. 5 rings is the only argument we Kobe fans have but we may no be able to use it in a few years...
v1n5anity

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:22 pm

LeBron started out the season kind of average for his standards, but he's now playing better than he was last season if that's even imaginable. We're watching a guy who is going to go dow top 5 and maybe even top 3, it's unbelievable. I also don't see anyone stopping them in the post-season, especially out East where the competition is awful.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby lakerzkb8 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:59 pm

Lebrons better. His prime is even better then Kobes except scoring, but Ill forever have more respect for Kobe for going through that trial off the court and playing, a year later losing Shaq and his reputation, then through sheer determination getting back on top and solidifying himself as one of the greats. Lebrons a Magic/Shaq hybrid, part all around player part just manchild who had to join up with 2 all stars to solidify his position. Thats what will forever differentiate the two when people through stats at me to argue during this Hollinger/PER/youtube/field goal percentage conscious era. Intangibles intangibles intangibles people.
This game's in the refrigerator: the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jello's jigglin'! - Chick Hearn RIP
lakerzkb8

Postby last stand on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:35 pm

well stats say a lot of things. first of all lebron will always have higher assist totals for 2 reasons.

first of all he's a more willing passer, since the day he was born. kobe was born to shoot lebron was born to pass.

secondly kobe was in the triangle. the triangle is an assist killer. had kobe been in a free flowing offense surrounded by shooters i have no doubt 6apg would have been commonplace for him. possibly 7apg.

but they are different players and kobe's legacy is that of one of the all time greats. in his prime there was not a better scorer in league history. Lebron? in his prime i don't think there has been a better all around player. considering the zone defense and his ability to remain efficient despite that, while getting his rebound, assists, and playing defense. he's an incredible basketball player. he's a real marvel to watch.

people said he couldn't shoot, he developed a shot
people said he couldn't post, in 2011 he developed the leagues most efficient post game
people said he couldn't win a title, and he went out and won a title

at the end of the day it doesn't have to be kobe or lebron. both are different players. both are better than jordan in some aspects with Jordan being the better player than both as he was close to kobe as a scorer and close to lebron as an all around player and he beats both as a winner.

i think people need to ignore the ESPN nonsense and just enjoy how good lebron really is. he is THAT good. whenever i watch him it's like watching a guy who just can do whatever he wants. like a highschool kid playing against middle schoolers
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:21 am

Lebron was born to pass is exaggerated ... sure he's a willing passer but his PPG averages are 3rd and 4th best all time in regular season and playoffs ... and his career averages are more than 20 FGA a game in both "seasons" ...
wcsoldier81

Postby KB24 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:56 am

In the last 180 minutes of playing time...LeBron has made 60 of 80 shots. Just insanely unbelievable stuff.

I mean 60 of 80 shots...like really? LOL.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby last stand on Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:54 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:Lebron was born to pass is exaggerated ... sure he's a willing passer but his PPG averages are 3rd and 4th best all time in regular season and playoffs ... and his career averages are more than 20 FGA a game in both "seasons" ...

Because he's an all around player
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby retro_nights on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Chillbongo wrote:http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8939726/coast-coast-comparing-lebron-james-michael-jordan
These comparisons. :bang:

Why? Can't you losers wait until he wins 2 more rings? My god.

Adande taking jabs at Kobe too....wtf does LeBron & Jordan have to do with Kobe "padding" his resume. Adande is a f**** loser. Go sell interior decorations you moron.

Actually, Israel is pretty rational and his stuff is worth reading. It's actually intelligent. Adande is just an emotional tampon.

Man, there were articles on Kobe waaay too early with the same headline back then too.
---
Team lakers
retro_nights

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:52 pm

Man the King has turned even CL into a lovefest for Lebron.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:56 pm

Really? What's "waaay too early"?

Kobe and Michael's actual basketball skills were certainly quite similar....given that Kobe specifically molded his game after Jordan's. The comparisons there were purely about basketball skills...the footwork, the mid-range game, the shooting, the clutch basket making, the way they attacked the basket, athleticism, the will to take over a game and win, being coached by Phil...

And actually, I don't remember those comparisons being too ridiculous until Kobe actually won a few rings. It was pretty hard to put him on Jordan's level when he was playing with Shaq. Then they picked up once Shaq left and Kobe was the man, and already had 3 rings to his name and was just entering his prime.
Chillbongo

Postby Kit on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:42 pm

Never been so clear that Lebron is the best in the world.
Kit

Postby lakerzkb8 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:45 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:Man the King has turned even CL into a lovefest for Lebron.

Bad taste in everyones mouth with how this season is unfolding, its a backhanded subconscious insult if i want to get all Freudinan, because hes led this team to a sub-500 record. Different story if Lakers were the #1 seed and Kobe had those averages earlier this season. kobe stans find ways to argue even if he puts up 4 points lol 'If you cant beat em, join em'.
This game's in the refrigerator: the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jello's jigglin'! - Chick Hearn RIP
lakerzkb8

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:14 pm

To me Kobe is still the best scorer. He can score from anywhere, against multiple defenders.

I'm not going to talk badly about LeBron, because I agree that he is amazing to watch. But to call him a better scorer than Kobe is laughable. First of all, he may have almost as many 30+ games, but Kobe has had many more 40+ and 50+ games. Remember when Kobe broke the Madison Square Garden record with 61 points or whatever, and LeBron tried to break it a couple of days later? He couldn't get to 50, even with a conscious effort, because using his arsenal he'd have to get 20 layups or dunks in one game , which is highly unlikely given a decent defense, and very tiring to drive that many times in a game. LeBron doesn't have the ability to put up 60, 70, or 80 points in a game. No one can have that many drives to the basket. And don't tell me that he can do it with his efficient post game or outside shooting. If you watch a whole game, not just the ESPN highlights, you'll see that he doesn't post up very many times per game, or drain that many threes.

LeBron is a great player, but most of his points during a game come from drives to the basket, and fast break dunks/layups. THAT's why he's been shooting such a high percentage the last few games. Lets be real people. He's not shooting 60% or whatever as a jumpshooter.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby noobiew on Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:57 pm

Even some posters in realgm claimed that Lebron is as good as Magic as a playmaker and passer lol
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:34 am

That's laughable too. Magic was on a completely different level from anyone I've ever seen. Nash had occasional flashes of it when he was younger, and Jason Kidd too, but they were like LeBron and Kobe chasing MJ.
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:31 pm

checkers09 wrote:
To this day, it’s still all about championships for Michael Jordan.

So when interviewed for a special that will run Monday at 8 p.m. on NBA TV, the six-time NBA champion former Chicago Bulls guard said he currently views Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant as having the more successful career to this point than Miami Heat forward LeBron James.

“If you had to pick between the two, that would be a tough choice,” Jordan, now owner of the Charlotte Bobcats, told program host Ahmad Rashard, “but five beats one every time I look at it.”

Bryant has won five championships with the Lakers, with James winning his first NBA title last June.

http://touch.sun-sentinel.com/#section/ ... -74424912/
Chillbongo

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:08 pm

Yep, and 6 beats 5 and definitely beats 1. That's what he's really saying.
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:28 pm

^Haha touche, but I don't think anyone rational is seriously putting LeBron or Kobe ahead of Jordan.

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:LeBron is a great player, but most of his points during a game come from drives to the basket, and fast break dunks/layups. THAT's why he's been shooting such a high percentage the last few games. Lets be real people. He's not shooting 60% or whatever as a jumpshooter.

Exactly, and at least ~25% of his points come in the fast break.

41% of his shots come inside not even the paint-- but the restricted zone. Now that's not to take away from him....he is a specimen of a player. His size, speed, length, handles, and touch are phenomenal.

But to compare his "streak" to Elgin or Michael or Kobe is stupid...when 60-70% of your baskets are at the rim. Just more ESPN talk.
Chillbongo

Postby Juronimo on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:45 pm

noobiew wrote:Even some posters in realgm claimed that Lebron is as good as Magic as a playmaker and passer lol

Those people must not have seen Magic play.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion