Official LBJ thread: Leading from behind?

Re: Official LBJ thread: The Best player last 15 years, maybe?

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:13 pm

Iceberg Slim wrote:This makes sense Puff. But can't we agree that a person gives credence to dumb statements just by responding to them? Like Lebron is the best in the last 15 years, but he's only been playing for 10. It's so absurd, it needs no attention.

Since we're on the topic of dumb things people say and Lebron James. I hated his championship smug look and speech thereafter. It reeked with self-absorption. He addressed "haters". It's not necessary imo. It's so obvious he's the King of the World. Why address peons of people on Twitter, ESPN, or across America who "hate" and burn jersey's? And because of his words, they have an elevated platform. They have his attention, which is what they wanted.

I only gave the 15 years attention because it is reflective of how people overreact to Lebron. Hell, some people couldn't even see that it was just an absurd comment and took it and ran with it like it is actually a debateable thing. In the end I agree with your statement.

As far as Lebron I didn't see his speech but I am not surprised he did it. The greats would find something to target to drive them. MJ was famous for it. Kobe just wants to kill everyone. Lebron is too concerned with all that other stuff. It is one of the reasons I say I still don't believe he is mentally tough.

How, lol? Magic's operative word is could. Don't you and I think the same thing lol? "Could" is the biggest 5 letter word in the American lexicon. Len Bias could have been great. It speaks to potential. Which means, if he gets 5-7 rings he might be the best ever to lace em' up. How is that off base or irrational? What is off base are the people who already think it, like you said. And we already agreed they are disqualified from having a balanced, sensible basketball opinion (at least on this topic) probably because they are 16 years old on Clublakers, possibly trolling. It's nonsensical. I can't let them have my time. I only have a few hours and minutes of the day.
Again, I don't disagree with your statement. My point is that people will take what he is saying and run with it. Do we really think that people are going to remember Magic said "could" instead of "is" which Magic knows. Maybe it is killing the messanger a bit.

It's simple...he's a FAN lol. Haven't we learned anything about Magic from his playing days and interviews post retirement? The dude has a surging passion for the game that's child-like, unlike former Hall of Famers...or grown men. The guy is just excited. And sometimes overly harsh too. He's a man of extremes. But his statements on Lebron have been calculated. Why? His best friend is MJ. And he's a 5-time winner too. But he hasn't said anything outlandish.
Yes but he is speaking as an expert. Which, of topic, I am personally disappointed he lets Sheridon (or however its spelled) just basically talk mad crap about his teams. Magic really seems like he just speaks to fit in which I personally hate. Like you said, he is a man of extremes.

[i]I'll answer this collectively.

Sure, he left a 60 win team...that was structured to win or fail on one thing Puff...HIM! Who was their second best player? Varejao? Mo Williams? Eric Snow? Big Z? :man10: You didn't have to be a genius to figure out that team wasn't going anywhere. Who cares about regular season wins Puff? It's about winning championships. Those Cavaliers team were structured the same way his high school team was. A bunch of role players who couldn't score but passed the ball to the most physically gifted athlete on Planet Earth. That's how I knew he was going to be a great pro actually. He elevated the game of "average guys" to "good". "Good" guys would look "great" next to him. His team finished ranked #1 in the country nationally after his state title senior year. Typically, that kind of team is always composed of 3-4 division 1 blue chip recruits. You know what school his star teammate (Romeo Travis) when to college the next year? The University of Akron.

THe big statement is that the Cavs team was built around Him and him only. We all knew that and he wanted it. He had a team that dominated the East. Yes, they may have been built to fail but they were built around him. THat isn't my problem though. When Lebron wins everyone of his teammates are treated like those also rans. He went to the Heat (again, I don't knock him for that) but his teammates aren't some also rans like it is being made to believe. It is the MJ effect all over again. Those who didn't watch MJ believe he had great teams simply because of him. The media and casual fan downplays the people playing next to him to help make him look better. My goal is to actually discuss those things that seem to be dismissed after someone wins.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:21 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
Chillbongo wrote:Best player of the last 15 years?

Tim Duncan- 16 season veteran

Kobe Bryant- 17 season veteran

Michael Jordan- retired 11 years ago

Shaquille O'Neal- retired 2 years ago

Whoever wrote the article/title of thread, GTFO and never show your face in a basketball discussion

Well I wrote the title of the thread....................................... I will now keep my face 'out of basketball discussion :bang:

Oh well if you wrote it that changes everything because I didn't have my puffy sarcasm filter glasses on to realize you were mocking some other intelligent poster on here :man12: . See what the offseason does? Makes me forget to CL and then I'm way out of thread loops.

Just glad it wasn't the title of some BSPN aritlce...
Chillbongo

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:50 pm

Chillbongo wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:
Chillbongo wrote:Best player of the last 15 years?

Tim Duncan- 16 season veteran

Kobe Bryant- 17 season veteran

Michael Jordan- retired 11 years ago

Shaquille O'Neal- retired 2 years ago

Whoever wrote the article/title of thread, GTFO and never show your face in a basketball discussion

Well I wrote the title of the thread....................................... I will now keep my face 'out of basketball discussion :bang:

Oh well if you wrote it that changes everything because I didn't have my puffy sarcasm filter glasses on to realize you were mocking some other intelligent poster on here :man12: . See what the offseason does? Makes me forget to CL and then I'm way out of thread loops.

Just glad it wasn't the title of some BSPN aritlce...

lol. :beer: its nothing but craziness here. And for the record Lebron has only been in the league for 10 years which is why the 15 year comment was so awesome. :man1:
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Weezy on Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:05 pm

Sports illustrated LeBron article quote

James uncorked 20 shots outside the paint in Game 7, the most since he arrived in South Florida three years ago. He drained nine, including five three-pointers. But with 33 seconds left, Miami was only up by two, and James bounced the ball on the blazing Heat logo at midcourt. He was back in the ring of fire. With the floor expertly spaced by Spoelstra, guard Mario Chalmers darted up from the post to set a screen on Leonard at the left elbow, and James bounded around it. Parker switched onto him, but James planted his left shoulder into Parker’s chest, sending him stumbling backward. Leonard recovered, tossing out a hand to contest, but James did not hesitate. He pulled up from 20 feet, easy as an August afternoon at St. V, with the same result. “I know it wasn’t the magnitude of MJ hitting that shot in ’98, but I definitely thought about him,” James said. “It was an MJ moment.” He paused as a turn of phrase came to mind. “It was an LJ moment.”

And that is a big example of why I "hate on" LeBron. It was an MJ moment, an LJ moment. :man11: Guy always wants to flaunt his greatness, and no it wasn't an MJ moment, please. And who brings that up about themselves? I don't remember Kobe ever saying he had an MJ moment or comparing shots he made to MJ shots, he may have but I don't remember it. If people want to compare Kobe to MJ he doesn't back down, but he doesn't go out there and seek comparisons to specific shots and iconic moments, wow LeBron thinks highly of himself, damn I wish he'd lost good finals and we wouldn't have had to hear s*** from him for months. If you don't think your shot was the same magnitude as MJ's (and nobody on earth that isn't a Heat fan would), domf even mention it in the same breath, no need to go there and try and make people think of your shot as legendary if they don't on their own.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:59 pm

^ he said that?
That's so lame. It was a good, important shot, but it's lame for you to go out to SI and call it "an MJ moment" and then "an LJ moment". I don't think a guy like Kobe would ever do that. Nor other great players before him.
Not to mention, it's wasn't that amazing of a shot. I mean, they were already up by 2, and the momentum of the game was entirely on their side. Spurs were almost beat, Duncan was pouting for his missed gimmie, and the Game 6 meltdown was in the back of every player's mind.. Not to mention he was wide open. it just wasn't a HUGE shot, wasn't worthy of that comparison in general IMO, but it's even worse if you bring it up yourself..
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Forward Three on Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:01 pm

Yeah, that is, more than anything else what will always be difficult for me to accept about Lebron, he is a great player and all, and he is steadily adding to a considerable trove of accolades and accomplishments, but to me he also represents a lot of what is wrong with the NBA today overall. The shift away from the _sport_ of Basketball and towards the _game_ of basketball brought to you by (endless list of sponsors and media nonsense). We're in the era now where the narrative is what matters more than anything else. Lebron is supposed to be great, so when he fails it's his teammate's fault, when he succeeds it's his greatness...etc. Because that's what is 'supposed to' happen brought to you by Nike, brought to you by Marvel Studios, brought to you by Samsung.

I'm not trying to suggest that the game hasn't been commercial for decades, it has been, but it is more so than ever now, is the point, and to a degree that ultimately just becomes distracting, fatiguing and all together annoying and Lebron is right dead center smack in the middle of it all. With his lofty and haughty attitude who plays ~40 out of 48 minutes of any given game as if he couldn't care less. And why should he? the deceit is over. The unspoken social contract that gives these athletes untold riches and fortunes for playing a game is revealed to us all through the 24/7 entertainment-news effect, the deceit of it all, the silliness of it all.

Lebron might be the king of the world/league whatever, but it's a sick league, deeply infected by greed and meaningless spectacle. No great coincidence that the past few years have featured gratuitous movie tie-ins with comic book superheroes being spliced into game footage. One-dimensional and ridiculous.
Forward Three

Re: Official LBJ thread: Game 7 jumper his "MJ Moment"

Postby LooN3y on Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:19 am

Any Man Who Must Say, I Am The King, Is No True King
LooN3y

Postby Juronimo on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:27 pm

Lebron anyone?

http://news.yahoo.com/biogenesis-whistleblower-says-other-sports-athletes-took-peds-192024405.html

Biogenesis Whistleblower Says Other Sports Have Athletes Who Took PEDs

In first interview since coming forward, Fischer tells ESPN's Outside The Lines there are many more professional athletes who were "treated" by Bosch, and they are not just baseball players. He's says the athletes — who he chose not to identify by name — came from the NBA, pro boxing, tennis, MMA, and college sports. He says he does not know of any NFL or NHL players who used the clinic.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby revgen on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:35 pm

Biogenesis is located in Miami for those who are interested.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby JSM on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:45 pm

^ Wade and Bron better hide their stash.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:24 pm

So should Kobe and Howard for that matter. :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Re: Official LBJ thread: Did the Kang get the juice?

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:50 am

Id wonder about kobe just because he seems superhuman but I havent seen anything physical though. Wade, bron, dwight on the other hand...... hmmmm me thinks something smells funny. I wouldnt be suprised to see DFish on the list or anyone.
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:52 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:Id wonder about kobe just because he seems superhuman but I havent seen anything physical though. Wade, bron, dwight on the other hand...... hmmmm me thinks something smells funny. I wouldnt be suprised to see DFish on the list or anyone.

I think Kobe probably used PEDs for recovery this last season. He just seemed to never run out of energy along with the fact that he was quicker and more explosive this season than any of his previous two or maybe three. Honestly he looked better physically last season than he did in 2010 when we won a Championship.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Sirron on Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:45 am

I think that was due to the German treatment on knees and ankle though.
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:21 pm

JSM wrote:^ Wade and Bron better hide their stash.

:man10: Yep. That has long been in the rumor mill about those two.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby bnr034 on Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:08 pm

therealdeal wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:Id wonder about kobe just because he seems superhuman but I havent seen anything physical though. Wade, bron, dwight on the other hand...... hmmmm me thinks something smells funny. I wouldnt be suprised to see DFish on the list or anyone.

I think Kobe probably used PEDs for recovery this last season. He just seemed to never run out of energy along with the fact that he was quicker and more explosive this season than any of his previous two or maybe three. Honestly he looked better physically last season than he did in 2010 when we won a Championship.

You do have to take into account that we got bounce out of the 2nd round in 2011-2012 season. Which lead to more rest time in the of-season for Kobe to recover from all his injuries
bnr034

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:38 am

bnr034 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

You do have to take into account that we got bounce out of the 2nd round in 2011-2012 season. Which lead to more rest time in the of-season for Kobe to recover from all his injuries

We got bounced by Dallas in 2011, but he didn't look this good in 2011-2012.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:43 am

I have to agree that Kobe finally had the summer off. He also had something to prove I think.
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:04 am

That might be true, but it doesn't really account for his renewed athleticism. I could be wrong and it really could be attributed to his new diet, but I'm just saying he's on my list of suspects.

Heck I could be wrong about Wade, LeBron, and Howard too... Just saying I'd look into all of them first.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby CGrand81 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:27 pm

Yea I wouldn't be surprised at all if Kobe was caught juicing. Same for LeBron. If there's smoke... Lol.

Same with Adrain Peterson, dude was given something, tears ACL and almost breaks rushing record, OK... Lance Wins 7 tour de France's after life threatening cancer... OK.

I went to HS with Jerry Hughes, he was a stud safety and beast "smaller" running back. Went to TCU, led the nation in sacks and force fumbles as a DE, I was like what? Then I saw him at Buffalo Wild Wings one night, dude was a giant. Plays for the Colts now.

For me it's all part of the game, I don't knock these players cause honestly I feel the majority of athletes are taking stuff. It is what it is, not that big of a deal for me.
CGrand81

Postby JSM on Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:57 pm

Bron for President?

Jason Whitlock of Fox Sports wrote:The NBA players association could be on the brink of a seismic power shift that goes well beyond the naming of a new executive director.

LeBron James, the game’s best and most popular player, is mulling a bid for the union’s presidency.

“It’s something he has talked about with a small group of people,” a source with close ties to James told FOXSports.com on Wednesday. “He was very vocal at the meeting during the All-Star Weekend about the need for the union to dramatically change. There is a new executive director coming in and new commissioner. He recognizes that this is the time for the union to change.”

Derek Fisher’s term as president expired this summer. It’s unlikely that Fisher, who recently signed a new contract with the Oklahoma City Thunder, would retain the presidency since he is facing a lawsuit from the union’s former executive director, Billy Hunter, and because Fisher is at the end of his career.

Jerry Stackhouse, an 18-year veteran and the union's first vice president, has been the point man for union activities so far this offseason. The union could elect its new president as early as late August when it holds its summer meetings in Las Vegas.

The source close to James cautioned that he thinks it’s “unlikely” the Miami Heat superstar will decide to seek the presidency.

“LeBron doesn’t do anything halfway and he has serious concerns about whether he has the time he knows the job requires,” the source said. “The demands on LeBron’s time are already substantial. Whether it’s formally or informally, LeBron has strong opinions on the future of the union and will be very active in the rebuilding process.”

James’ potential presidency would provide a huge star-power dynamic that has been missing from the union since Patrick Ewing was president from 1997-2001. Since Ewing, the union has been led by role players — Michael Curry, Antonio Davis and Fisher — and compromised by concerns that its presidents haven’t hadve the necessary leverage and stature to deal with ownership on remotely equal footing.

James would be the first in-his-prime union president since Isiah Thomas ran the association while leading the Pistons to back-to-back championships at the close of the 1980s. Until the last decade, the players union had a rich tradition of being led by superstars such as Bob Cousy, Oscar Robertson, Bob Lanier and Thomas.

With James at the top of the union, it would likely be easier for the new executive director to get other superstar players to engage in union activity and in the process of working with the new commissioner (Adam Silver) on growth strategies for the league.

JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:42 pm

Growth hormone strategies for the league?
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Re: Official LBJ thread: Lebron for President?

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:07 pm

Hmm not sure what to think of Lebron for Pres. The players union did little to help themselves when they didn't listen to the last president (Fisher). All those me first players helped shoot themselves in the foot. Can Lebron do what is best for the "other" guys of the leauge?
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:35 am

"I thought Kirilenko flopped a few times to be honest about it, and he got the call," James said when asked about the fouls against him. "The last one that fouled me out could've been a charge for sure. He put his hands on me as I drove and that got him off balance and he got the call. But he definitely flopped a few times."

I can't stand when the league's most notorious floppers cry about flopping. It's his fault for using tactics that Lebron has made a consistent part of his game?
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby trodgers on Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:10 am

James lowered his shoulder and then pushed with his forearm. You get better calls than everyone else. STFU.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion