Official LBJ thread: No Respect for MJ? 23 returns

Re: Official LBJ thread: Can the best today get better

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:58 am

The 2011 Finals is one hell of a choke job ... the biggest of any superstars in the league I've witnessed for the 18 years I've been watching the NBA ... the last two games against Boston in 2010 were bad too ... I disagree with 2009 though , he was a monster in the Magic series
wcsoldier81

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:17 am

What I remember about his 2009 Ecf was that the Magic shot lights out from the perimeter, especially Hedo and Rashard, while the zone turned LeBron into a chucker.

My favorite LeBron faux pas was the Olympics where he saluted the troops at every opportunity, and ended up leading the US to a bronze medal.

Everyone is encouraged by Espn to forget his failures. The way I see it, it's just his endorsers buying Espn off so that they only spout accolades over him. Just a way to raise stock in his brand. I suppose Kobe gets no similar love because most of his sales are overseas.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Jellincon on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:25 pm

I just don't get the Lebron vs Kobe prime comparisons because there are barely any at all. Lebron has a championship caliber squad with 2 other stars in their prime. He rarely ever sees double teams any more so of course he'll be able to feast on the single coverage he gets every night.

On the flip side, prime Kobe had to do most of his damage against constant double and triple teams. The entire defense was geared toward stopping one man and still he almost always did what he wanted. Now I'm not saying teams don't have Lebron as the focal point to stop but how the hell could they implement any of their strategies with a prime Bosh and Wade also to be accounted for. And I say all this just add some perspective to the argument. Prime Kobe was a different kind of beast and Lebron is still a bit off from that level at this point in time. But he has a little bit of time on his side so he may have a chance to reach that level if he keeps improving how he has the past 2 years.
Jellincon

Postby Weezy on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:52 pm

That's another good point. Prime LeBron has 2 great players next to him (mainly Wade of course), prime Kobe had nobody even close to that level and he still managed to make the playoffs in a tough as hell West those seasons. The only season they missed the playoffs was 04/05 when Kobe only played 66 games, missed tons of games to finish the season, and the team was on pace to make the playoffs before Rudy T quit and then Kobe went down for a ton of games by his standards. Kobe was a beast in his prime, I don't get discrediting that because LeBron put up more assists and rebounds on average on a better shooting percentage. LeBron should have a better percentage (especially at his size and speed with today's lack of defense allowed), he's not mainly a perimeter player anymore like Kobe has always been, and he gets more layups and dunks than Kobe ever did on average. LeBron's 3 point percentage is impressive though, not trying to take away from that or his game at all, just like nobody should be trying to take away from what Kobe has done.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Jellincon on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:51 pm

Exactly and I'll even take it a step further. Lebron doesn't even have to guard the other teams best player for huge stretches either. That's manly Battier's job and Lebron might guard a Durant or Melo in crunch time or in little spurts. With the crappy team prime Kobe had, he had no choice but to guard the best player for longer stretches of the game. And after expending all that energy on D, he still had enough in him to beat constant double and triple teams.

But like you said, what Lebron is doing is amazing. His statistical dominance is at an all time level right now and he still has time to improve.
Jellincon

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:35 pm

After watching ESPN today I am surprised no one is talking about the amazing LBJ led Miami "Harlem Shake" vid. I have only seen bits and pieces of it but according to some of the talking heads it shows how great LBJ is for allowing the team to do it. It also is the Heat telling everyone that they are better than everyone in the NBA.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Re: Official LBJ thread: The Great Miami Shake

Postby Weezy on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:34 pm

If I saw these Lakers doing a video like that I'd honestly be embarrassed for them. Absolutely nothing wrong with them doing it, but it's not my thing and I prefer a more professional team atmosphere.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby MadMax on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:43 pm

MadMax

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:08 pm

Weezy wrote:If I saw these Lakers doing a video like that I'd honestly be embarrassed for them. Absolutely nothing wrong with them doing it, but it's not my thing and I prefer a more professional team atmosphere.

I don't mind them doing it. Hell, I am not even hating on it. They like to have fun and that's what they do. Absolutely nothing wrong with that in my opinion. I only pointed it out because the talking heads made it sound like because of it Lebron is even a greater person. All I was thinking about was if it was OKC would the talking heads say KD was amazing for being in touch with the times? I already know how bad LA would be killed for it.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:40 am

ESPN made LeBron a little cartoon, I think it's adorable **bats eyelashes** I wonder when LeBron wins his much deserved MVP will he bring his teammates up brcause Wade and Bosh have been smack dead right there contributing as well.
Jazzygirl205

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:40 am

Funny video .. wrong pedobear though , should have been the Birdman not Wade ...

Let's put this thread back on track with the most IMPORTANT topic right now : Lebron warmup dunks !
wcsoldier81

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:30 am

Those warmup dunks are getting a lot of pub. I read somewhere that Magic is offering him 1 mill to enter the dunk contest. The jocking and begging of this fellow is at an all time level.
puffyusaf#2

Postby therealdeal on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:51 am

Yeah Magic really put himself out there. He said he'd put 1 million dollars down to see LeBron in the dunk contest and the money would go to the winner.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:55 pm

Offering a million bucks for dunks we see him do every game? I have to admit it'll be more interesting despite being repeated dunks because LeBron is a strong, muscular powerful athlete so his dunks will look even more spectacular than the others because he powers his dunks down. But he already said if he were to do it he wouldn't do any tricks, have and props or any of that.
Jazzygirl205

Postby Tobias Funke on Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:18 pm

Didnt think it was that serious.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby JSM on Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:15 pm

therealdeal wrote:Yeah Magic really put himself out there. He said he'd put 1 million dollars down to see LeBron in the dunk contest and the money would go to the winner.

Wish a few more people would open their check book and really turn on the pressure cooker. Not just to see Bron choke on a national stage at an individual level, but to get some elite competition out there. Not the 9 fingered cup cake kid vs. an over the hill James Fight White competitions we've been stuck with lately.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:51 am

JSM wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Yeah Magic really put himself out there. He said he'd put 1 million dollars down to see LeBron in the dunk contest and the money would go to the winner.

Wish a few more people would open their check book and really turn on the pressure cooker. Not just to see Bron choke on a national stage at an individual level, but to get some elite competition out there. Not the 9 fingered cup cake kid vs. an over the hill James Fight White competitions we've been stuck with lately.

Agreed. These events used to mean something to the elite players of the league. Bird in the 3 point competition. Jordan, Kobe, Dominque in the dunk competition. They relished that opportunity to showcase themselves and the fans reciprocated.

If we saw a LeBron competition the ratings would go through the roof. I just don't understand why they won't do it.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Re: Official LBJ thread: The most durable player ever (Skip)

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:48 am

SO after the scary fall the other night for Lebron he played two days later against MInny. First take had the discussion of "Is Lebron the most durable athlete EVER." Now before I go into my WTF moment I will say one stat was crazy impressive to me for Lebron. He has missed 33 games in 10 years that is 3 a season which is pretty damn durable. Now, with that being said... I think of durable I think of Kobe breaking a finger on his shooting hand and not missing a game. I think of MJ playing the flu game. I don't think of "elbow gate" or the new "great knee debate" for the King. I can admit I am spoiled because Kobe does not miss games no matter what he has hurt (it seems) but to the LBJ thread I ask.... Is this a valid discussion of LBJ being the most durable of all time?
puffyusaf#2

Postby Juronimo on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:51 am

The title of most durable probably belongs to the Mailman. I don't think he ever got hurt until that oaf fell on his knee.
RIP Nelson Mandela
July 18, 1918 - December 5, 2013
Juronimo

Postby therealdeal on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:54 am

NBA's Iron Man: A.C. Green.

He didn't miss a game from November 19, 1986 to April 18, 2001.

That's durability right there.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:29 pm

AC green was good. Fisher was pretty durable as well.

But I think durable doesn't necessarily mean what we see in Kobe. I think that's just iron will. Kobe is the most willed player in the game, but I wouldn't say most durable, because he does get injured. He just plays through them (which is a greater feat than pure durability). So Kobe is one of the most durable as well as the most willed player in the game. Ice cold veins.

I think durability here refers to players that just manage to stay healthy and stay in the games. LeBron is up there, and given the physicality he plays with at 6'8 250 lbs I wouldn't argue that he is one of the most durable players in the game.
Chillbongo

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:29 pm

Yep. LeBron is pretty durable, but not the most durable ever.

Kobe is the most driven, and able to play through more injuries than anyone. Ever.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Magic Skywalker on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:51 am

I do believe he might be the most durable. He is not like Fisher or Andre Miller, who don't injure because of their type of game, he is just doesn't injure no matter how he lands or what kind of hit he receives.

Of course, A.C. Green record is no joke. Simply impressive. And he did jump a lot and played with a lot of contact.

Another guy who want to present to the "elections" of Most Durable Guy is Russell Westbrook, who is yet to miss a game in his career.
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby KB24 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:06 am

Karl Malone was the most durable IMO. The beating that he took....he was a TANK.
Malone played 80+ games EVERY season his career except the lock-out season in 1998 and his last season with the Lakers when he got hurt...any other season? he missed a maximum of 1-2 games.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:37 am

Magic Skywalker wrote:I do believe he might be the most durable. He is not like Fisher or Andre Miller, who don't injure because of their type of game, he is just doesn't injure no matter how he lands or what kind of hit he receives.

Of course, A.C. Green record is no joke. Simply impressive. And he did jump a lot and played with a lot of contact.

Another guy who want to present to the "elections" of Most Durable Guy is Russell Westbrook, who is yet to miss a game in his career.

I've got to believe Russell is going down with an injury soon. Maybe not a serious one, but definitely soon. He's too much of a high flier and too athletic of a player to never get hurt. I just don't see that happening for much longer.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion