Official LBJ thread: Does a return home help the King?

Re: Official LBJ thread: Clutch in Miami 1-9?

Postby nameant on Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:38 pm

His complaint about Hinrich is pathetic. Dood lowered his head and barged into Hinrich...what the hell is Hinrich supposed to do?
nameant

Postby Weezy on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:31 pm

Hinrich wrapped LeBron up, it's a play that players make all the time, the only reason it looked bad was because LeBron is huge and was going full speed so they fell, it's not even close to a flagrant.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:41 pm

Here's the clip of the attempt head band swipe:
http://sports.yahoo.com/sportsminute;_y ... mY-;_ylv=3

:man10:
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby cleverdevil on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:29 pm

I will just leave this here:

LeBron James has played 2721 minutes this year for the Miami Heat. That is good for 38.2 MPG. He has been whistled for 106 PFs including 1 Flagrant and 6 Techs. That averages out to 1.5 PFPG, good for T-190th in the league. LeBron has attemped 506 FTs this year, 7.1 FTAPG good for T-7th in the NBA. LeBron also had, in December 2012, a 254 minute and 7 second foul-less streak spanning almost two weeks with no whistles against him.
cleverdevil

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:59 pm

nameant wrote:His complaint about Hinrich is pathetic. Dood lowered his head and barged into Hinrich...what the hell is Hinrich supposed to do?

That is what I find so damn funny Lebron literally lowers his shoulder or clears his man with his off hand every time he drives. If Kirk hadn't wrapped him up it really should of been a charge.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby lakersyunowin on Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:31 pm

those gifs are disgusting. in my eyes lebron will never be on the top tier of the pantheon of greats that have played this game because of crap like that (and his overall attitude)
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby JSM on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:36 am

Gibby on LBJ's whining

ESPN wrote:Chicago Bulls forward Taj Gibson said Thursday that he was surprised LeBron James complained the previous night about hard fouls committed during the Bulls' 101-97 victory that snapped the Miami Heat's win streak at 27.

"I think he's too good of a player to do that," Gibson said on "The Carmen & Jurko Show" on ESPN 1000.

"You just play, two teams really going out there and play hard, going to the basket extremely hard and physical."

James mentioned fouls by Gibson and Kirk Hinrich as not being "basketball plays." Neither was called for a flagrant. James said Gibson collared him on a drive to the basket with 4:01 left in the fourth quarter.

"I didn't try to collar him," Gibson said. "I just fouled him. It wasn't intentionally.

"I just tried to make a play on the ball, but I fouled him. When he fell, it looked like I collared him. I was really trying to grab him, just not hold him up. Nobody was intentionally trying to hurt anybody out there. When he said those comments, I was really shocked. But it's part of the game, I guess."

"Carlos was getting hit the same way all night," Gibson said. "We have to guard them and do our jobs. Me and Kirk, what he said about us, it was crazy. Kirk wrapped him up, first off. He was trying to make a play on the ball. He wrapped him up to not try to hurt him intentionally, so he won't get an easy layup. He's a dominant player. You just try to slow him down. We're not trying to intentionally hurt him."

Ainge weighs in on the poutfest, too
ESPN wrote:Boston Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge, speaking on WEEI Radio on Thursday, disagreed.

"I think the referees got the calls right. I don't think it was a hard foul," Ainge said. "I think the one involving LeBron against Carlos Boozer [in which LeBron lowered his shoulder into the Bulls' forward 10 seconds after Gibson's foul), that was flagrant. I think the officials got it right.

"I think that it's almost embarrassing that LeBron would complain about officiating."
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby retro_nights on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:49 am

the bias in this thread is hilarious.
---
Team lakers
retro_nights

Postby ThizGuy83 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:19 am

just when some people thought lebron finally matured...
Dwight "tweedle Dee tweedle dum" Howard
ThizGuy83

Postby retro_nights on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:56 pm

Riley to Ainge: “STFU” dlvr.it/38hKt0

Well, Pat Riley just added a little more fuel to the Heat-Celtics rivalry that simply won’t die.

After Celtics GM Danny Ainge recently called LeBron James‘ complaints about the hard fouls he takes “almost embarrassing,” the Heat President fired back with both barrels in a pre-game statement delivered to the Heat media by a representative, saying:

“Danny Ainge needs to STFU and manage his own team. He was the biggest whiner going when he was playing. I know because I coached against him.”

Yes, that is an accurate quote, STFU and all, delivered to a huddle of media members with their jaws firmly on the floor. My two big takeaways from this:

1) Pat Riley is certainly willing to stick up for his players, and clearly is at the stage of his career where he’s willing to say whatever is on his mind.

2) If the Celtics manage to fall down to the 8th seed, a Celtics-Heat playoff series would be about as interesting as a #1-#8 matchup can get.

UPDATE: In the time it took me to write this post, Ainge has already responded. Via Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe, here’s Ainge’s reply to Riley’s statement:

“We’re both right. LeBron should stop complaining and I should manage my own team.”
---
Team lakers
retro_nights

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:06 pm

retro_nights wrote:the bias in this thread is hilarious.

so is the so-called un-bias.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Forward Three on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:50 pm

Just checked out the box score for the Hornets vs. Heat game. Lebron has 28 points with 7 minutes remaining in the secound quarter and he is 6-6 from three point range and 10-11 overall.

:man4:

Gunning for a career night maybe?
Forward Three

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:12 pm

Has he dropped 60 in a game?
puffyusaf#2

Postby Forward Three on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:13 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:Has he dropped 60 in a game?

No, I think his individual scoring record for a game is 56 and I think unless his superteam suffers a setback like Bosh and Wade and one of their shooters all being out and/or he just gets frustrated for some reason it's hard to see him scoring 60+ really, he passes too much and doesn't take shots unless he feels like ~70% sure he can hit them.
Forward Three

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:29 am

^Thanks. That is still crazy that a player at his skill level has dropped a 60. He isn't a true gunner like Kobe is so I guess it makes sense even if a little shocking.
puffyusaf#2

Postby thkthebest on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:11 pm

Aside from Kobe, has any active player dropped 60?
My signature
thkthebest

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:22 pm

^^^TMac, Iverson, Shaq and Arenas are the only other players to do it since Kobe came in the league.

They all did it once, Kobe has done it 5 times. :man10:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:10 pm

A player who scored at least 60 in a game has happened 62 times in NBA history,

Wilt did 32 times , MJ/Kobe 5 and Elgin 4 ... 16 other players did it once ( Jerry , Mikan , Robinson , Bird , Malone ...)

Only MJ and Elgin did it in the playoffs... Elgin in the Finals
wcsoldier81

Postby Forward Three on Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:24 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:^Thanks. That is still crazy that a player at his skill level has dropped a 60. He isn't a true gunner like Kobe is so I guess it makes sense even if a little shocking.

It is a little surprising especially since the Cavaliers really weren't that good until about '07-'10 years, Lebron played many a game in the wine and gold where he was literally the only person capable of creating his own offense or scoring reliably. You'd think under similar circumstances to Kobe's huge scoring outputs that he would have had at least one 60 point effort. The funny thing is that his 56 career high came against the same Raptors squad that Kobe dropped 81 on.

Personally, I've often wondered what Lebron would be like if he did just decide one game to say 'eff it, I'm going to score 100', not that he necessarily would but if he came into a game with that mentality from the outset. I wonder how close he would get. There's no doubt he is capable of scoring 60, but one of the things people often overlook when it comes to scoring huge is the actual time it takes to get that many field goals up compounds and often times by the time you're in 'huge' territory(typically considered 40+ by league averages) you're already halfway through the 4th. Kobe's 81 is so ridiculously impressive because of the pace at which he scored, almost all of it came in the second half. I think a lot of people look at high scoring games and figure that anything above 55 or so is equally impressive or that the difference between 55 and 60 or 60 and 65 is just a couple of shots, and while that is technically true, the pace of a game and the 'flow' of a game make it less true in application. Going from 65 to 70 unless your team is actively feeding you the ball on every possession and you need to score is often unnecessary and just simply unlikely. Going from 70 to 80 is practically impossible.

But still, Lebron can be an insanely good scorer at times and there are times when he really does seem like he could almost 'casually' drop 50 and then turn it into 60 or more if he really went for it.

You also look at a guy like Durant, who many consider the 'heir apparent' to pure scoring and even when he goes completely mad he still hasn't bested 52, granted he's playing alongside Westbrook who can drop 30 any night as well(And they were playing with Harden, the current #5 scorer in the league) but still, Durant seems the closest to Kobe in the sense that when he gets 'hot' he scores at a furious pace the type of pace that you need to score at to get 60+ and Durant isn't exactly known for his passing game, when he is feeling it, he shoots.

But then we saw how Westbrook's ball-hogging and thick headedness basically cost them the championship last season so that's probably the answer. It would be interesting to see Durant in a situation where he was the only reliable scorer and he needed to score 60+, because if there is anyone in the league today I think could drop 60, 65, 70 or even more, I think it's Durant.
Forward Three

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:09 pm

^Well said.

I always look at Lebron as being to worried about his overall stats to do it. He is definately strong enough and talented enough to do it. I would have bet money that he and KD have broken 60. Crazy to know they haven't done it.
puffyusaf#2

Postby therealdeal on Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:37 pm

Obviously he's a different player, but I seem to recall that back when Kobe put on the show in Madison Square Garden everyone KNEW LeBron was going to best him somehow. And LeBron ended up going for a triple double instead because he couldn't score like Kobe.

It's a different year and a different time now, but the fact remains that LeBron doesn't have the scoring mentality to do those things. He doesn't have the same "I don't give a f***" mentality that you need to be a scorer.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:58 pm

LeBron already said his basketball approach isn't being just a scorer. Kobe is a pure SG when he gets the ball it's about scoring the ball to help his team, then comes the cherries, whip cream and chocolate on the sundae (I know that's a bad analysis). If you all remember when LeBron came into the league his game was mainly focused around passing and making plays. I remember some of the analyst saying that they prefer him to be more of a Micheal Jordan type player than a Magic Johnson because they felt he was letting his big body and power go to waste (so stupid). Points come easy to LeBron because he's so physically "Brolic". But his mind isn't on just scoring. Also I think he wants more titles under his belt now to go along with his career stats so he's doing that mix and matching stuff with his game.
Jazzygirl205

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:36 pm

therealdeal wrote:Obviously he's a different player, but I seem to recall that back when Kobe put on the show in Madison Square Garden everyone KNEW LeBron was going to best him somehow. And LeBron ended up going for a triple double instead because he couldn't score like Kobe.

It's a different year and a different time now, but the fact remains that LeBron doesn't have the scoring mentality to do those things. He doesn't have the same "I don't give a f***" mentality that you need to be a scorer.

That very game is what started this thread.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Forward Three on Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:23 am

Well, we know Lebron cares about his stats. He's rarely ever someone who will take a 'desperation' shot and he specifically formed the superfriends and got guys like Ray Allen and Battier on board because he needed people to pass to. We laud his ridiculously improved efficiency this season and it is impressive but when you're on a team with so many amazing three point shooters, a reliable shooter/scorer in Bosh who can create his own offense if needed and a 'pure scorer' in Wade who can create his own offense as needed and you yourself as someone who creates offense... I mean, what did we think was going to happen? Of course his efficiency goes up, he only needs to take shots he feels completely comfortable taking now, but you watch any of their games, whenever he gets riled or whatever, it usually doesn't end well.

Lebron is easy to dislike in some respects because he seems to approach the game kind of callously. Like it just doesn't really matter to him that much, he knows he is good and can do just about anything on the court, but he specifically chooses to surround himself with other great players to make his job even easier. It's a weird mentality, it flies in the face of just about everything we want to believe about in sports. Whenever I see that NBA cares ad with Lebron saying "You know, people look up to us just like when we were kids and we looked up to certain sports figures" I always hear that sideways, how can someone look up to Lebron?

Honestly. In the classic paradigm of what makes sports 'function' in a social sense in an individual sense, in a motivational sense in a vicarious sense. All of the sort of unspoken 'magic' of sports and how they can bring people together and be exciting and visceral and inspiring and just all of that good stuff. How does Lebron instill any of that?

But that to me is also what makes it annoying because there simply is no denying he is. that. good. And expectedly Lebron fans are quick and verbose to delve into the stats and talk about his efficiency and talk about his passing and talk about how he can play 1-5(he really can't, he guards 1s and 5s at times but 2-4 is way better for him and it shows) but I dunno... who wants to be like lebron? Just seems strange to me.

This might be blasphemy for some but a player I would liken this effect to is Tim Duncan. Tim is another one of those once-in-a-lifetime talents that will go down as one of the best to ever play with accolades and accomplishments and a deep deep well of things to point to for why he is so great at this stuff. But he also has this persona of just being like basically a normal guy named Tim who happens to be good at basketball. I think it is not a stretch to assume that he's not one of the leading 'I wanna be like' figures in the NBA, even towards his prime. But where Tim derives that vibe from his professionalism and stoicism, Lebron derives it from his 'above it all' demeanor.

Oh well. As you can probably tell I am conflicted about the guy. I love what he can do on the court and feel glad to be able to see that(WITNESS OMG LOLZ) I just really wish it wasn't Lebron doing it, I guess.

I'm also writing this much about it now because I was just reading the Kobe thread about him passing Wilt and I spent a little time looking at the numbers and realistically Lebron could be right up there with Wilt and Kobe in about 6 seasons. That's assuming he averages at least 25 for the next 6 seasons and doesn't suffer any serious setbacks which both seem very doable. Why is it that so much of me thinks that Lebron spends just as much time as any of us fans looking at these stat lists and thinking "okay, I want to wind up in the top 3 for points, top 5 for rebounds and top 5 for assists and also the top 20 for blocks, yeah, that's what I'm gonna do"
Forward Three

Postby Forward Three on Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:25 am

Basically, if the wonderment and glory of sports relies on a little bit of willful denial on our parts that it's just a game, Lebron embraces that it is just a game, and that pisses me off.
Forward Three

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion