Official LBJ thread: no more roid....errr..carbs =slim

Re: Official LBJ thread: New Q: What if.......

Postby CGrand81 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:12 pm

Not much blame, it is a team game, I've watched all the games cannot really blame LeBron if they lose the series, depends on what happens in Game 7 though.

LeBron James: 29 Points 7 Rebounds 5 Assists on 51.5% shooting

Dwayne Wade AND Chris Bosh: 26 Points on 43% shooting

When your second best player/ borderline top 5 player in the game, and your third best player, play this horrid, usually you will not win a best of 7 series.

It will hurt his legacy a little, but if you watch the games I do not think it should.
CGrand81

Postby JGC on Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:22 pm

^ Yeah they were saying that this is the first time since Bosh's rookie year that he posted three consecutive games with point totals in single digits. Wow.

Lebron isn't getting a whole lot of help out there. He needs to shoulder a little more of the scoring than he might normally handle even if it isn't what he is comfortable doing.
JGC

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:33 pm

Weezy wrote:If they lose, it will be said that LeBron did everything he could and Wade and Bosh failed him. I believe unless he has a terrible game 7 where he goes back to his old shrinking in a huge game ways, he will get very little blame, if any. I can't see the NBA letting that happen though, if you know what I mean, Miami is going to have some serious home cookin game 7.

This is what I think as well. The issue: When the Heat are winning it is because he is the greatest ever and he makes everyone better. So how does him getting "his" in a loss now equate to him not getting blamed?
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:43 pm

Forward Three wrote:I think, for one thing, it shows that we've moved on to the "What does this mean for Lebron's Legacy" stage of his career, much as we(and the media) started obsessing about, and dissecting everything in to a "what does it mean" re: Kobe's Legacy when he was in his late 20s and early 30s.

Ha. Nice. I don't think it means "we" moved on moreso "me" that is keeping us in the ESPN(esque) type questions that guys like Kobe have gotten while trying to discredit him.

But what it would mean to me personally is that Lebron is a guy who knows how to play the game, knows what the fans and the league wants to see, knows his strengths and cares about looking good on the court, having a good statline but ultimately being more or less content to not be 'the guy' and to not be 'the best ever' and to not be in any high stress, actual pressure situations. I think we have seen enough evidence about Lebron that he doesn't like high pressure situations, he'll activate 'god mode' on occasion but his career is just littered with examples of becoming strangely passive throughout important quarters, passing away 'the shot', missing 'the shot', **deciding to take a bathroom break before being reintroduced to Cleveland for the first time**, and other similar things. He is a potent and remarkable scorer when he wants to be, but being a big time scorer is to accept big time pressure overall and even though he is reliable for 27-30 any given night, and he'll drop 40 every so often, he's just overall not looking to string 40 point games together, not looking to go for 50, not looking to go for 60...etc. Maybe that's smart or whatever, it's appropriate for when you're on a stacked team and trying to protect your stats, but it's also, I think, another mark against him with regards to 'pressure'.

.... and then there's the flopping.

Nice points.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby CGrand81 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:45 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
Weezy wrote:If they lose, it will be said that LeBron did everything he could and Wade and Bosh failed him. I believe unless he has a terrible game 7 where he goes back to his old shrinking in a huge game ways, he will get very little blame, if any. I can't see the NBA letting that happen though, if you know what I mean, Miami is going to have some serious home cookin game 7.

This is what I think as well. The issue: When the Heat are winning it is because he is the greatest ever and he makes everyone better. So how does him getting "his" in a loss now equate to him not getting blamed?

Cause that is the media, they do not follow logic duh...

For me why would he get blamed? If he goes out in Game 7 and drops 50 but the Heat lose, why would he get the blame?

As for as the wins and how he is the GOAT, that is just the media, the fan who watches the game knows what it is. You've watched the games, how could anyone so far say it's LeBron's fault. In the finals vs Mavericks, hell yea it was his fault cause he choked, right now he is playing well, playing consistent
CGrand81

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:53 pm

Kasumi wrote:I loved that they said on Inside the NBA that LeBron was likely wishing he had his Cleveland teammates back.

Aside from what would happen with his legacy if they lose Game 7, I think this series is having an affect on his legacy with regards to being known for fantastical flopping. He is in danger of being known for being a cheater rather than a competitor.

Do you really think they will continue with the cheating (flopping) thing?
puffyusaf#2

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:07 pm

CGrand81 wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:

For me why would he get blamed? If he goes out in Game 7 and drops 50 but the Heat lose, why would he get the blame?

As for as the wins and how he is the GOAT, that is just the media, the fan who watches the game knows what it is. You've watched the games, how could anyone so far say it's LeBron's fault. In the finals vs Mavericks, hell yea it was his fault cause he choked, right now he is playing well, playing consistent

Can't say I appreciate the "duh" but I'll roll on pass it.....

What if he doesn't drop 50? What if he only puts up 12? What's the magic number stats wise that will work?

On to the "why" it would be his fault. Well that is the question I asked. The simple answer, from me at least, would be the fact that Lebron is/was touted as being the great whose above beyond game who carries even the best scrubs when it matters most. He makes his teammates better as in play above their abilities better.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Kasumi on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:15 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
Kasumi wrote:I loved that they said on Inside the NBA that LeBron was likely wishing he had his Cleveland teammates back.

Aside from what would happen with his legacy if they lose Game 7, I think this series is having an affect on his legacy with regards to being known for fantastical flopping. He is in danger of being known for being a cheater rather than a competitor.

Perhaps no, if it were up to the media. But fans are reacting, there are videos and gifs being sent around and Twitter came alive quickly during his acting tonight. That can't be ignored.
ImageImage

"Basketball reasons" is as believable coming from Mitch Kupchak as it was coming from David Stern. #IWantedPhil
Kasumi
ClubSpurs.com Administrator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:20 pm

CGrand81 wrote:Not much blame, it is a team game, I've watched all the games cannot really blame LeBron if they lose the series, depends on what happens in Game 7 though.

When your second best player/ borderline top 5 player in the game, and your third best player, play this horrid, usually you will not win a best of 7 series.

It will hurt his legacy a little, but if you watch the games I do not think it should.

so then as long as Lebron scores at a nice clip then its all good? We can stop with the "He is so great he makes everyone better" talk? Many people have said Wade has been playing like crap all year even during the magic streak. If memory serves me right it did not stop people from calling the Heat the greatest team with the most amazing player ever. I find that strange.
puffyusaf#2

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:27 pm

Kasumi wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:

Perhaps no, if it were up to the media. But fans are reacting, there are videos and gifs being sent around and Twitter came alive quickly during his acting tonight. That can't be ignored.

I didn't get to watch the game but the gif was amazing though. Real question: Do you think ESPN will run with it? If so, who would be the next for them to push? The Media machine does not crucify one without having another to make the "Next best thing"
puffyusaf#2

Postby Weezy on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:31 pm

I don't see how not winning it all this season doesn't hurt his legacy. It doesn't kill it because he's got plenty of time to win more, but it has to hurt it, that he's had what was considered the best team in the NBA all season and they don't get it done? That has to hurt, the best players are judged on titles, and not being able to even win 2 in a row with the best team, that would hurt. Losing a game 7 in the ECF hurts, but losing a 3rd out of 4 Finals, that would just plain look bad. He's not going to get media blame, but his legacy looking less and less impressive on paper if he can't close, nothing the media can do or say about that. Here's hoping it happens, choke! :man10:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:34 pm

^your hate is always on Weezy :bow:
puffyusaf#2

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:42 pm

It will hurt his legacy if he loses this game 7, but it will hurt his legacy more to lose twice in the finals to the Spurs.

My take on this series is that it is very very close team-wise, and home court makes the most difference. I would tend to believe that the role players for Miami, including good ole Birdman, will show up for a few more shots, and a few more defensive plays, sparked by leBron's home-cooked defense, or hooking offense, and the Heat will blow it open in the 3rd or 4th, just like game 5. I'd be really surprised if anyone beyond Hibbert and George show up in Miami. And why do all the Pacers keep saying that they're going back to south beach?? To party??

As for LeBron taking the blame, he will take the praise and the blame, for the wins and the losses, just like every star player does in the playoffs. It's the way the media does it. But IMHO he's been playing well, and he did spark the game 5 run that broke the game open for Miami, so his success so far IS their success this series.

Bosh and Wade are playing hurt, and it really shows. They only get a day or two before the finals start, so the Spurs are probably salivating over the prospect of a mortally injured Miami team.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby The Rock on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:43 pm

What does it say about the refs who continue to buy his flopping SMH

So crazy how Dwight and Lebron gets treated differently

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Forward Three on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:49 pm

Seeing all the Lebron flop gifs recently, it really is uncanny how similar his flopping style is. When you see them in a group, it's so apparent and leaves really no room for doubt, imo. You see exactly the same head snap and upper back/shoulder flail, only thing that really changes is the amount of arm flail but it's clearly a learned movement for him, something he is consciously doing.
Forward Three

Postby CGrand81 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:25 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
CGrand81 wrote:Not much blame, it is a team game, I've watched all the games cannot really blame LeBron if they lose the series, depends on what happens in Game 7 though.

so then as long as Lebron scores at a nice clip then its all good? We can stop with the "He is so great he makes everyone better" talk? Many people have said Wade has been playing like crap all year even during the magic streak. If memory serves me right it did not stop people from calling the Heat the greatest team with the most amazing player ever. I find that strange.

Not once, ever, have I said he makes everyone better. That is such a cliche, until I see proof I will not and cannot agree with that statement. Not that LeBron doesn't, but it is on the same scale as many other NBA players.

There was one season where Gibson went off, but then came back to Earth the next year with James. Mo Williams was already "proven". Same with Jamison who actually disappointed in Cleveland, Varejao is still doing work... etc. The media says it, but how does LeBron make his teammates sooo much better then say a Chris Paul, Rondo, Kobe, it is all the same to me.

Just because people say it does not make it true.

Whom beside the media and Heat fans were calling the Heat the greatest team ever? What do you find strange about that? All my friends and family, even people at school, the bar etc. never once said that to me.

ESPN/Heat fans said it. Their creditability when they stuff like that is almost non existent, I take it a face value as should you and everyone else.
CGrand81

Postby CGrand81 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:40 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
CGrand81 wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:

Can't say I appreciate the "duh" but I'll roll on pass it.....

What if he doesn't drop 50? What if he only puts up 12? What's the magic number stats wise that will work?

On to the "why" it would be his fault. Well that is the question I asked. The simple answer, from me at least, would be the fact that Lebron is/was touted as being the great whose above beyond game who carries even the best scrubs when it matters most. He makes his teammates better as in play above their abilities better.

There is no magic number, but if he plays well why would he get any blame?

He has played well so far in this series, I watch the games, you've watched the games, he has played well. You can say he should takeover more often, but after 10 seasons I recognize his game and the take over mentality is not that there, he plays his game, cannot hate on that. After 10 years you are who you are.

You say people think he is the GOAT, not everyone I know, that's the media. Anyone who knows anything knows LeBron has not done jack poop so far.

I get it ESPN rides his nuts as if he can do no wrong, TNT, etc. Pro-tip: Stop listening to them.

And the duh thing wasn't a shot so my apologies, just a sarcastic remark cause its the media, what else do you expect. I've been alive 23 years and realize the media is one-sided, has its own agenda POS and you have to take what they say at face value.

When you say "LeBron is/was touted as being the great whose above beyond game who carries even the best scrubs when it matters most" that screams media to me cause I've never heard anyone in person say that, outside of fan boys and homers.
CGrand81

Postby Weezy on Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:47 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:^your hate is always on Weezy :bow:

Yeah I'm really not a LeBron fan. :man10: At the same time all that stuff I said about his hurt legacy is IF they lose. I still don't think that's likely, they just have to win a home game 7 and beat the Spurs, still not just doable, but likely IMO. And if they do win, LeBron will be praised to no end, because he's apparently carrying a team worse than he had in Cleveland now. :man11: They went from a 27 game win streak having superteam that got rid of Milwaukee and Chicago with ease to almost a phony media underdog. What should be talked about as pretty pathetic struggles with lesser teams will be turned into overcoming adversity and be made to look impressive.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Forward Three on Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:03 am

Yeah. I've never bought into the Lebron makes his teammates better line too much, and I'm sure I've argued it in this very thread. It just seems so arbitrary. Every superstar makes their teammates better, that's why they are superstars, even when Kobe was at his most shot-a-holic he was still overall making his teammates better. Just seems like the Lebron notion comes from the bias people tend to have towards assists vs. points as well as a narrative that needs/wants Lebron to be 'the best', regardless of whatever else is going on.

I mean, he *is* a remarkable passer, there isn't a pass on the court I don't trust him to make really, but so is Kobe, when he chooses to be(as we saw plenty of times this season and last, not just in assist numbers but the difficulty and inventiveness of the passing) It's also remarkable to see a small forward passing like he does but at the same token, put those numbers in the 1 spot and it's fairly average guard material so why are we not saying guys like Ramon Sessions 'make their teammates better' when they're just as liable to give their teammates the setup 6-7 times a game.

Well because it's not about assists only, of course, but how does Lebron excel at leadership again? because the Lebron we've seen for many years shies away in big moments, passes *too much* at times, flops and seems to throw his team under the bus every time they don't win an important game(or at least the media does and he doesn't care), not about to say he takes everything out on his teammates when things aren't going well, but I don't think you're going to find any of the ~2004-2010 cavs saying many good things about him as a leader these days, and it's not just because he 'left'.

So I mean, he's not making his teammates worse, and he does find ways to highlight certain players like Andersen and Chalmers, but I don't buy the messianic midas touch argument either.

yay for biased scrutiny!
Forward Three

Postby Scnottaken on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:04 am

Cgrand, you asked why we should put the blame on LeBron, or why we DO place the blame on LeBron, even if he plays well, if the heat lose the series. Here's the simple answer.
We're Laker fans during Kobe's reign. We've heard constantly, over and over, by "experts" and "analysts" (and even fellow fans)that steve blake missing a corner three was somehow Kobe's fault. Pau shoots 2-15 and gets 3 boards? Kobe took him out of his game. We're conditioned to try to blame the leader for EVERY shortcoming the team has. Kobe had an unreal game of 60 points but the rest of the team shoots 12-50? Kobe shot too much and made his teammates miss. Kobe got 15 assists, and could have gotten more had teammates hit more open shots? Kobe's too ball dominant. What we're merely doing is holding LeBron to the same standards our leader's always been held to. When that happens, of course, LeBron doesn't look as good as ESPN would have you believe.
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby JGC on Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:35 am

^ What do you mean "we" blamed Kobe for the role players playing poorly? That isn't true. If you look through the LD forum, the overwhelming theme is that the role players were old, injured, or not the right ones. What's happening now is the exact opposite of what you are suggesting. They're applying the opposite standards for Lebron than they do on Kobe.

If the standards were the same, then the blame would either be on Lebron and Kobe for not helping their teammates play better, or, on their teammates for not performing. Lebron is averaging 28.5 PPG on 52% shooting, 7 rebounds, and 5.5 assists per game including 44% shooting from downtown in this series.

Now, in CL, if Kobe had been putting up good scoring numbers with below-his-average assist numbers like that, a small faction of people would say, he has got to find a way to get his teammates going, not enough assists, etc. The immediate response is "can't get assists if your teammates aren't scoring". Every time. Without fail. Or, something along the lines of "Only in CL can Kobe score 29 points on 52% shooting and dish out nearly 6 assists and be the main reason we lost".

The standards couldn't be more different. Here, 'we' (as in the majority) tend to find a way to take responsibility away from our star (when the result is bad, opposite when good), but with them (the Heat), it's 'we' find a way to place the responsibility on their star (when the result is bad, opposite when good).

In the end, IMO, Lebron has to elevate his game. He has to shoulder more of the scoring burden, and he has to find a way to get teammates going -- more. Instead of 20-footers and 3pt bombs from Bosh, get someone a layup, find a way to get your teammates to contribute more. His role players SHOULD be playing a lot better than they are and he is their best player, leader and captain. If they lose, obviously it won't be ENTIRELY on Lebron's shoulders (just as it isn't entirely on Kobe's), but both stars SHOULD rightfully be held accountable for not being able to figure out how to at least meet initial expectations with the ridiculously talented teammates that they have.
JGC

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:23 am

CGrand81 wrote:
Not once, ever, have I said he makes everyone better. That is such a cliche, until I see proof I will not and cannot agree with that statement. Not that LeBron doesn't, but it is on the same scale as many other NBA players.

There was one season where Gibson went off, but then came back to Earth the next year with James. Mo Williams was already "proven". Same with Jamison who actually disappointed in Cleveland, Varejao is still doing work... etc. The media says it, but how does LeBron make his teammates sooo much better then say a Chris Paul, Rondo, Kobe, it is all the same to me.

Just because people say it does not make it true.

Whom beside the media and Heat fans were calling the Heat the greatest team ever? What do you find strange about that? All my friends and family, even people at school, the bar etc. never once said that to me.

ESPN/Heat fans said it. Their creditability when they stuff like that is almost non existent, I take it a face value as should you and everyone else.

First, I didn't say "YOU" said anything. I asked a question based on what the experts and the general opinion have stated. You ask the questions so what is the answer? Does Lebron make his teammates better or not? I guess when it comes to your view I should base my opinion on what you have seen or been told by the people in your social setting. I think I'll go with my own instead.

By the way when Boobie Gibson went crazy and essentially got the Cavs to the Finals all the praise went to Lebron for being such a great leader. When Boobie came back to earth in the Finals then it was Lebron didn't have enough help. You may not listen to the "pundits" but most others do.
puffyusaf#2

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:28 am

If the Heat lose Game 7 it changes EVERYTHING.

That means in the 3 years since this team formed they've only won 1 Championship. Wade's utility is fading quickly and Bosh has been marginalized every year. If the lose this season and next season isn't roses, LeBron might leave.

And yes that affects his long term legacy in a major, major way. He's still only got one Championship and it was won in a shortened year. Regardless of the numbers he puts up, that hit to his legacy is going to be pretty massive. Look how quickly people tend to forget guys like Malone and Stockton because they didn't win a ring. As an All-Time Great the hardware on your hands becomes the one thing separating you from the other All-Time Greats. The ones most loved and appreciated are the ones who took that overwhelming talent and won with it.

Obviously his career is far from over and he would have more time to get more Championships. But at 28 going on 29, if he lost this season, he'd be looking at a Finals record of 1-2. That's not great. And while the window isn't necessarily closing on him, it's certainly not as great as it once seemed. He's got to keep winning and he's got to do it now.

Short term, he wouldn't get any of the blame for their loss and that is upsetting but at the same time mostly fair. While his team isn't the Cavaliers of a few years ago obviously, they have vastly underperformed in this series for the most part. This team that's so stacked with ridiculous talent will have shrunk from the limelight when it matters most. They will deserve a lot of the blame for that.

Unfortunately the media will spin that so it's not "this talented team came up short" but "this team wasn't enough for LeBron to win". The difference is subtle, but it of course favors the Prodigal Son. It gives him the benefit of the doubt and shames the rest of the team. I would love for that to happen because it'd mean the team is likely to break up soon. Which would end this "Miami Heat" era of basketball that I hate so much.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:44 am

Like I said your post are interesting but I do enjoy the approach you take. So lets get to it.
="CGrand81"
There is no magic number, but if he plays well why would he get any blame?

Ah well then why should he get the praise when his team wins? It really sounds like you are picking your own rules. I cannot say your rules so you should share them with us so we can all be on the same page.

He has played well so far in this series, I watch the games, you've watched the games, he has played well. You can say he should takeover more often, but after 10 seasons I recognize his game and the take over mentality is not that there, he plays his game, cannot hate on that. After 10 years you are who you are.

I cannot argue with this point. However, by this logic then Lebron has not improved his mentality enough to warrant all the OMG he is the best thing to ever touch a ball. If that is the case then no matter what the Heat do Lebron is neither the reason or the fault. He is what he is a guy who more often than not comes up short in the big moments.

You say people think he is the GOAT, not everyone I know, that's the media. Anyone who knows anything knows LeBron has not done jack poop so far.

That is saying something. I recall many posters on this very board of knowledgeable people who claimed the very thing. So are they and all the "experts" all idiots or is it somewhere in between?

I get it ESPN rides his nuts as if he can do no wrong, TNT, etc. Pro-tip: Stop listening to them.
Interesting pro-tip. Should I listen to you? Or maybe one of my favorite posters on the board who claims that most LA fans are nothing more than blind fanboys who don't understand the truth of the game. For the record, that poster does not agree that Lebron has done poop at all. Which of you two should I listen too for the right idea on how to view the King and his court?

And the duh thing wasn't a shot so my apologies, just a sarcastic remark cause its the media, what else do you expect. I've been alive 23 years and realize the media is one-sided, has its own agenda POS and you have to take what they say at face value.
Fair enough. In doing so we get the questions like the one I posed to discuss.

When you say "LeBron is/was touted as being the great whose above beyond game who carries even the best scrubs when it matters most" that screams media to me cause I've never heard anyone in person say that, outside of fan boys and homers.

So anyone who praises him over the "not done jack poop" is a fanboy? Lebron is a great player, one of the best in fact, that cannot be disputed. Just a few days ago the question was posed if he had the greatest basketball IQ ever. That is some lofty praise for the young man only just entering his prime.Not 1, not 2, not 3......not 7.....
puffyusaf#2

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:10 am

Weezy wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:^your hate is always on Weezy :bow:

Yeah I'm really not a LeBron fan. :man10: At the same time all that stuff I said about his hurt legacy is IF they lose. I still don't think that's likely, they just have to win a home game 7 and beat the Spurs, still not just doable, but likely IMO. And if they do win, LeBron will be praised to no end, because he's apparently carrying a team worse than he had in Cleveland now. :man11: They went from a 27 game win streak having superteam that got rid of Milwaukee and Chicago with ease to almost a phony media underdog. What should be talked about as pretty pathetic struggles with lesser teams will be turned into overcoming adversity and be made to look impressive.

lol. I know Im just giving you crap. This is the reason I ask the question because I know there are some that Hate LBJ, some that love him and some that are indifferent of him all together. We have said before it seems Like Lebron gets to live on both sides of the coin...all the praise when they win. None of the blame when they lose.
puffyusaf#2

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion