Official LBJ thread: no more roid....errr..carbs =slim

Re: Official LBJ thread: 2 MVP's, Ring, Gold = Better than MJ

Postby Maluco Beleza on Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:02 am

people are too much on kobe's you know what. i used to be like that but i could still give my props...

'lebrons game is ugly' ???? is why you dont think he's the best?

did u see his defense and dunks against the lakers? oh yea he also hit a clutch shot at the end that pretty much ended the game.
Maluco Beleza

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:40 am

Maluco Beleza wrote:people are too much on kobe's you know what. i used to be like that but i could still give my props...

did u see his defense and dunks against the lakers? oh yea he also hit a clutch shot at the end that pretty much ended the game.

Yep Lebron shooting release/shooting mechanics and "footwork" are ugly to watch .. it doesn't mean he isn't the best right now
wcsoldier81

Postby Forward Three on Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:36 pm

Lebron is playing at an extremely high level, the game seems effortless to him at times and when you watch him move and operate there are stretches when absolutely nothing can really slow him down, bother him or throw him off. Just makes it that much more annoying that he still gets phantom calls and is generally allowed whatever leeway he wants when approaching the basket, or that he gets such leeway with his own fouling. But, he's still the 'best' in the league all around. Yeah, you can talk about how Kobe's footwork and complex shot making is superior, I think it is too. You can talk about how Durant's shooting stroke is purer and he has more finesse, I think so too. But a few things here and there that maybe some other players do better doesn't account for the across-the-spectrum dominance Lebron has shown.

Even if you took away the preferential treatment he gets, he'd still be essentially unstoppable in most situations.

At this point, if I had to take away from his game it's that he doesn't really play like a traditional baller in the sense that his game isn't built upon fakes, cross overs, footwork, more fakes, and 'moves'. He's not a player who really has 'moves', but he doesn't really need them, is kind of the point. You can make the argument that he plays to the contemporary NBA in that sense. He plays in a way that is most conducive towards being effective in the current state of NBA play, and you can knock him for that a little, but it doesn't make it any less 'good'. Another way of looking at it is that he plays extremely smart. He knows the meta game of the NBA, he grew up with a different NBA than guys like Kobe did, and built his game around that. In fact, part of our frustrations with Kobe at times stem exactly from Kobe's old-school mentality.

It doesn't take much to see how guard-dominant the league has become. Guys like Westbrook, Irving, Rondo, Rose, Wall are the beneficiaries of how the game is officiated these days, "First step" players. Lebron happens to play similarly only in a 6'8/250 frame. I do not think Lebron would be as dominant if he was playing in the era of Shaq, Hakeem, Robinson...etc. But that is all hypothetical. As it stands, in the way the game is played today, he is pinnacle.
Forward Three

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:02 pm

Maluco Beleza wrote:people are too much on kobe's you know what. i used to be like that but i could still give my props...

I never understand the notion that because someone doesn't think Lebron walks on water the person must be a "kobe nutt rider". Are you saying that those who support Lebron as the best are "Lebron nutt riders?"

Well hell, Andre from the Clippers dunks all game long, blake does too, hell Amare and Josh Smith get great dunks. That doesn't make them great. Now before you get all "OMG did you just compare them" I know they aren't even in Lebrons planet. LBJ is arguably the best in the game right now but your statement doesn't prove it.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:14 pm

Iceberg Slim wrote:I don't agree with much of the opinions of Lebron James on this page.

Lebron James, for all the hype he was given, has exceeded the hype. Think about 2003, when the whole world knew his name before he played a preseason game in the league. How well did you think (personally) he would play in year one? Did you ever see him 20, 5, and 5? One of only three guys to do it? I didn't. I don't think anyone did. I also didn't think he would get to the finals by age 21. But he did...with Eric Snow and Larry Hughes as his best players alongside of him. 9 years later, he has 20K in points, 5K in assists, 3 MVPs, 3 all-star game MVP's, 1 finals MVP and a ring...and counting. He's been the best player in the world since 2010 and that will remain for awhile simply because no one in the game is more versatile with his size. His hype was justified. He really is that good.

As far as longevity goes in terms of athleticism, I think we have clearly underestimated the advance in medical technology. I definitely underestimated it. Look at Kobe Bryant, Ray Lewis, Derek Jeter, Tony Gonzalez...all guys who have played either 16 or 17 years in their respective sports and how productive they still are. It's more than impressive. We are now seeing the results of modern medical science and technology int he professional sports world coming forth. Lebron James at his lowest level of athleticism will be bigger, faster, and stronger than 85% of the league. With his work ethic, basketball I.Q. and passing ability, he'll play a long time in this league and be very productive.

Slim-

Even though I believe the Media rode/ride his jock before he got out of highschool. I agree, and have said, he did live up to most of the hype coming into the league. His game was still based sheer on power early but none of the media critiqued that. The guy is one of, if not the top, player in the league which can't really be argued away. In any case, my personal opinion is that I don't believe his game has evolved enough (at this time) to make me believe he will remain at the top of his game late in is career. I could be wrong that is for sure but so could everyone who says he will continue to be great.I think Realdeal asked, "what will he be like once he gets that injury that effects his athleticism?" Isn't that a far question? The media has basically said Kobe would not be good because of injuries and age for the last 5 years.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:45 pm

LeBron is the best because of size, quickness and strength. I will concede that he has a great touch near the basket, flying towards the hoop at incredible speed and still getting the ball to go in. But he's almost an amateur basketball player with superior size and strength.

He reminds me of Shaquille, who was also almost an amateur player with superior size and strength. They're both smarter than the average player, and tons more dominant physically. Charles Barkley was a similar kind of player. His strength and will were superior to most players in the league, although his game was never that complete. He had a size advantage like LeBron, but no speed advantage. And when Shaquille and Charles both lost their ability to jump, it was over for them. Contrast KAJ, who continued to play solid bb way after he lost his athleticism, using moves with quality footwork to get his shots off.

I think what bothers me so much about LeBron, besides the overhype of course, is that his game is ugly, and yet he can beat everyone because its like he's a man beating up on a league who athletically are boys compared to him. I loved Shaq's dominance when he played for us, but I always disliked his ugly game. And since lebron doesn't have a grasp of the fundamentals, it's frustrating to see some one who's already faster than everyone get an extra advantage, when getting away with carrying the ball or getting an extra step or an illegal first step. I remember older friends of mine complaining 10 years ago about the lack of fundamentals in the nba, and now it's even worse with LeBron, the most talented player in the league, with even less fundamentals.

I consider Kobe to be the best basketball player in the league, since he's the arguably the best shotmaker of all time, and he has incredible fundamentals. I'd put Tim Duncan second, due to his incredible fundamentals. I would put LeBron in a category with Shaquille, the "most unbeatable" player in the league, or maybe MDE.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:57 pm

Solid points.
Chillbongo

Postby revgen on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:04 pm

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:He reminds me of Shaquille, who was also almost an amateur player with superior size and strength.

I don't agree with this statement at all. Shaq was a hellava better passer out of the post than many bigs are today. And he managed to score 18ppg @60FG% at the age of 36 and make the ASG in 2009 despite losing all of his legendary athleticism from his prime years. He mostly lived on hook shots and footwork at that stage of his career. Now were his jump hooks and footwork Kareem-level or Tim Duncan level? No, but it was effective even with all of his hops gone. Hardly what I'd call "almost an amateur player".

"Almost an amateur" better describes D12 when it comes to offense. Lebron has some pro skills. His 3pt shot is a lot better than it was when he entered the league and I think his ball-handling is also top notch. The rest is natural talent.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:44 am

^I agree that Lebron has definetly improved his 3-pointer and his post game which were both laughable only 2 years ago. I don't believe he has the work ethic to continue to evolve his game for when he can no longer physically dominate. Although, I did not believe he would ever improve his jumper but I have to admit he has a pretty reliable 3-ball now. It isn't great but it is solid. He may very well put in a Kobe-esque workout to improve his game this summer.
puffyusaf#2

Postby John3:16 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:57 am

Lebron had a crazy stat line last night. Only 50 points away from Kobe's career high.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby BigDan24 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:34 pm

John3:16 wrote:Lebron had a crazy stat line last night. Only 50 points away from Kobe's career high.

:man10:
BigDan24

Postby THEONE24 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:35 pm

A bunch of hating, bitter, Kobe fans. Why am i not surprised? You guys will say anything to discredit LeBron. "He's only the best player because of his athleticism." "He doesn't work as hard as Kobe.", ect. Like it or not, other than having a few higher PPG than LeBron, Kobe has never played as consistent as LeBron has played so far.
THEONE24

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:02 pm

THEONE24 wrote:"He's only the best player because of his athleticism."

Actually I think it's more like, "his athleticism is what makes him such a great player." But he has great court vision and defensive instincts, I'll admit that.

THEONE24 wrote:"He doesn't work as hard as Kobe."

Well that's subjective in a sense, because none of us REALLY know. But here's my argument. Footwork: Kobe >LeBron, Jump shot: Kobe> LeBron, Post game: Kobe> LeBron, Mid-range game: Kobe>LeBron

How do you get better at those things? Working on them.

THEONE24 wrote:other than having a few higher PPG than LeBron, Kobe has never played as consistent as LeBron has played so far.

Wait, what? They're actually near even in career scoring average. What exactly is your definition of consistent? Kobe has been doing what he has for almost 15 years straight... :man3:
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:03 pm

What are you talking about? Almost every poster here acknowledges that LeBron is the best player in the NBA and we're haters?

Gtfo. Just because we're not slobbering on his jock doesn't make us haters.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:53 pm

THEONE24 wrote:A bunch of hating, bitter, Kobe fans. Why am i not surprised? You guys will say anything to discredit LeBron. "He's only the best player because of his athleticism." "He doesn't work as hard as Kobe.", ect. Like it or not, other than having a few higher PPG than LeBron, Kobe has never played as consistent as LeBron has played so far.

yaa... Lebrons fanboy is back. You want to attack my post then bring it but don't come in here with this crap. No one in the league has Kobe's work ethic when it comes basketball and improvement. NO ONE.

Let the trolls tell Kobe is lucky to be mentioned in the same breath as Lebron. Yea, who is the fool? Not the Kobe fans. Oh by the way, reading is fundamental, very few people have hated on your precious king. Go on somewhere with your slobber job or come with something better than this troll crap.
puffyusaf#2

Re: Official LBJ thread: Kobe never as good as LBJ (THEONE24)

Postby Basketball Fan on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... s/related/

Ohio rejecting some LeBron James hater license plates

Some fans in Ohio are still pretty pissed at LeBron James for leaving for South Beach.

But you can’t put that on your car. Apparently.

The Dayton Daily News in Ohio looked at personalized license plates rejected by the state‘s Bureau of Motor Vehicles and found some LeBron James hate did not make the cut. (Be warned: if you are easily offended do not click that link, some of the non-LeBron ones got rejected for pretty obvious reasons.) Thanks to Rob Mahoney at Sports Illustrated for finding this.

Among the LeBron ones were:

• IH8LBJ
• LBJSUCK
• LBJSUX.

My question: Is that really so offensive as to get rejected? I could think of some four-letter phrases with LBJ tacked on that would and should get rejected. But if you hate LeBron James is that going to offend people or lead to fights or something?

Or, maybe Ohio just wants to protect the legacy of Texas Democrat Lyndon B. Johnson. Say he sucks and those are fightin’ words.
Basketball Fan

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:03 pm

^thats funny. Wait till he doesn't sign back with them then you'll see those plates be ok.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Maluco Beleza on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:10 pm

i'm the biggest kobe fan or was and you have to admit lebron is beyond better.

puts up the stats. wins. leads his team and has a great fg%.
Maluco Beleza

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:57 pm

Kobe would win too if you put him with Lebron & Bosh. And shooters and Chalmers.

What does that prove?
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:05 pm

And he's already got 5 rings to go with it.

Kobe's legacy will always be overshadowed by something.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:38 pm

therealdeal wrote:And he's already got 5 rings to go with it.

Kobe's legacy will always be overshadowed by something.

It is comical when people so easily down play Kobe. Again, I think most of these kids have very little understanding about basketball other than stat watching and ESPN highlight watching. Apparently, Kobe doesn't win like Lebron, he can't pass like Lebron, he can't shoot like Lebron, he can't post like Lebron, he can't dribble like lebron, he isn't clutch like Lebron and he hasn't been able to evolve his game as amazingly like Lebron. Let these guys tell it Kobe should be calling Lebron during the summer to get pointers on how to play the game.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:45 pm

That high fg% LeBron had was amazing you can't deny that, he's a talent :bow: However, comparing LeBron to Wilt Chamberlain is just as bad as saying he's better than Micheal Jordan before he won his first title and MVP. I don't agree with that comment made by a analyst. People are EXTREMELY obsessed with stats. A guy can play almost perfect basketball but miss some shots due to flat legs and people will assume he shot poorly because he wasn't playing good. LeBron is great but they're giving him all of these crowns before actually have that stamp success. Saying how he's better than legends, even Micheal Jordan was given his crowns until Magic, Bird and others left the NBA then he had the floor.
Jazzygirl205

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:49 pm

I usually just throw out....

"You're comparing a guy in his 17th season, to guys in their prime, at their peak, and he's still on their level."
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Finwë on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:34 am

Samuel Dalembert was 17/21 from the field tonight and added 12 rebounds... I don't see any reporters/bloggers tweeting about how it hasn't been done since X year or saying it's comparable to X basketball legend's X game...
Meanwhile LeBron hits 13/14, doesn't reach double figures in any other category and twitter is going crazy with Chamberlain/Jordan/X legend vs LeBron comparisons (in terms of production in one game).
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby LooN3y on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:15 am

lol, stats.

you know who goes by stats? mike brown and every other coach thats non deserving in the NBA.

stats is ALWAYS used by people that dont watch the game, dont know what the hell they're talking about, and say this or that player is better.

yea lebrons real clutch :man10:
LooN3y

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion