Official LBJ thread: screw my stats....peep my hat!

Re: Official LBJ thread: Clutch in Miami 1-9?

Postby Forward Three on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:55 pm

I was checking out box scores and play-by-plays and looked at the Heat v. Bobcats game and there was this sequence in the late third and early fourth where Lebron assisted on like 6 Heat field goals in a row. He went from like 3 assists to 9 assists in about 3 minutes, it's kind of ridiculous how quickly that guy can fill a stat sheet. I mean, we've seen Kobe be like that as well where he'll get 6+ assists in a single quarter or in a few minutes, plenty of point guards can and will do that, but it's still just one of those things, 10apg isn't easy to average, any given player getting 5 assists in a game is considered 'good' usually 6-9 range for anyone who isn't a pg is considered very good/special, but then some players just seem able to fill it up whenever they want.
Forward Three

Postby gcclaker on Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:53 pm

Chillbongo wrote:aaaaaanddd LeBron beasted last night. Got to watch on NBA TV.

His mid-range game has gotten a lot better. He can hit pull up jump shots pretty easily now.

edit: I still like Kobe

Used to be that the knock on James was to let him have the J. He's worked diligently enough to be more than fairly a threat from the perimeter. I'd still concede it though as a defender rather than have him drive for a score, a three point play or find an open teammate.
Nor can the Lakers get blamed for always making the right decisions over decades. At some point its not just luck or "gamble", its superior management and superior ownership.
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:48 pm

Forward Three wrote:I was checking out box scores and play-by-plays and looked at the Heat v. Bobcats game and there was this sequence in the late third and early fourth where Lebron assisted on like 6 Heat field goals in a row. He went from like 3 assists to 9 assists in about 3 minutes, it's kind of ridiculous how quickly that guy can fill a stat sheet. I mean, we've seen Kobe be like that as well where he'll get 6+ assists in a single quarter or in a few minutes, plenty of point guards can and will do that, but it's still just one of those things, 10apg isn't easy to average, any given player getting 5 assists in a game is considered 'good' usually 6-9 range for anyone who isn't a pg is considered very good/special, but then some players just seem able to fill it up whenever they want.

Well, he draws a LOT of attention because he's such a threat to drive to the rim, and on top of that Miami has a lot of great shooters that space the floor really well, so everytime he kicks it out it's usually money and an assist as a result. They also have Wade and Bosh who do a great job at cutting to the rim, a couple of bigs that are athletic and dunk, and outside of LeBron and sometimes Wade or Bosh, they play little in the post. He doesn't waste assist opportunities just dumping the ball into the post like, say, Kobe did when playing with Shaq.
I've seen him literally stand with the ball on one hand for like 5 seconds, then someone like Battier or Chalmers is wide open for 3, or Wade is cutting to the rim, or Bosh is open for a mid-range shot, and he just makes a simple pass that results in an assist.
Not saying he doesn't deserve credit, he's a phenomenal passer and has great court vission, but we do need to point out that the team and system is just so *incredibly* well suited for him that it's extremely easy to fill up the stat sheet.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Forward Three on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:26 pm

gcclaker wrote:

His mid-range game has gotten a lot better. He can hit pull up jump shots pretty easily now.

Used to be that the knock on James was to let him take the J. He's worked diligently enough to be more than fairly a threat from the perimeter. I'd still concede it though as a defender rather than have him drive for a score, a three point play or find an open teammate.

I mean, for the most part you want anyone to take a jumper, there are very few players who will kill you all game long on jumpers even the good shooters. Lebron's game has improved all around and he's liable to do just about anything at a high enough level to make it a problem for defense. I think his back-to-the-basket and pivot game is probably the weakest of everything at the moment, Which isn't to say it's even that bad necessarily, but it's also something he rarely ever has to deploy and certainly doesn't have to rely upon.

LEbron is very much in his prime right now and just like Kobe in his prime, Shaq in his prime, Jordan in his prime...etc. There are very few weaknesses. Obviously Shaq was horrible at free throws, Jordan didn't really have a three point shot and all but even then, that's kind of why we consider those guys to be in the pantheon of all time greats, during their primes they were essentially unstoppable. Lebron is there right now, and he'll likely be there for at least a few more years before anything has to change in the way he plays the game.
Forward Three

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:38 pm

^^^^ Yep ... Allen ( hasn't shot the ball well these latest 2 months though) and Battier are 2 of the best corner 3pts shooters in the league , Bosh is automatic from mid-range and Wade is a great cutter.

Lineup down the stretch

Wade
Allen
Lebron
Battier
Bosh

Your best defensive option ? to hope Battier misses the open 3 or give Lebron the midrange J ? Sounds like an outstanding plan ... it's pick your poison
wcsoldier81

Postby Finwë on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:37 am

^^ yeah. Wade is looking better and better also. He started out very slow but since January he's been BALLING.
Chalmers is also playing very well, and Cole is a solid PG backup, very fast, good mid-range J.
They are a VERY complete and deep team
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:22 am

gcclaker wrote:Used to be that the knock on James was to let him have the J. He's worked diligently enough to be more than fairly a threat from the perimeter. I'd still concede it though as a defender rather than have him drive for a score, a three point play or find an open teammate.

Oh yeah, same here. The thing now is even those J's are reliable! But those don't demoralize as much as a dunk or LeBron penetration to an open shooter.

Who shoots 40% from 3, because all of the Miami shooters do.
Chillbongo

Postby gcclaker on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:42 pm

Forward Three wrote:
gcclaker wrote:

Used to be that the knock on James was to let him take the J. He's worked diligently enough to be more than fairly a threat from the perimeter. I'd still concede it though as a defender rather than have him drive for a score, a three point play or find an open teammate.

I mean, for the most part you want anyone to take a jumper, there are very few players who will kill you all game long on jumpers even the good shooters. Lebron's game has improved all around and he's liable to do just about anything at a high enough level to make it a problem for defense. I think his back-to-the-basket and pivot game is probably the weakest of everything at the moment, Which isn't to say it's even that bad necessarily, but it's also something he rarely ever has to deploy and certainly doesn't have to rely upon.

LeBron is very much in his prime right now and just like Kobe in his prime, Shaq in his prime, Jordan in his prime...etc. There are very few weaknesses. Obviously Shaq was horrible at free throws, Jordan didn't really have a three point shot and all but even then, that's kind of why we consider those guys to be in the pantheon of all time greats, during their primes they were essentially unstoppable. Lebron is there right now, and he'll likely be there for at least a few more years before anything has to change in the way he plays the game.

Jordan in a recent interview talked of how he analyzed James' game. Go right it's a drive. Go left it's a J. Jordan spoke of how he will pressure him to his left ALL game long. His post game is merely backing you in the defender then it's either a fade or a short flip shot especially on the right side of the key. No up and unders or drop steps. It's crude but effective because of his size and strenght. The main factor in his outside shooting is CONFIDENCE. Even when James is off balance on his shot, he feels he will can it.
Nor can the Lakers get blamed for always making the right decisions over decades. At some point its not just luck or "gamble", its superior management and superior ownership.
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Maluco Beleza on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:04 pm

^ you can't stop lbj... you honestly think he can't drive going left at all?

he either drives, finds an open guy.. hits an and 1... pull up j... dunks.. he has it all

like kobe did. no way in stopping that
Maluco Beleza

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:13 pm

Of course the L"BJ" had to start in here again because someone wants to cream about how amazing he is.

Did the last poster even read about how LeBron's game is predictable? Was anything said about stopping LeBron?

And if his game is predictable (when he goes left it's usually a jump shot) and if his post game is raw (doesn't have the footwork) then he is stoppable. His biggest asset is his confidence and athleticism.

Comparing Kobe is stupid because Kobe is fundamentals and footwork. :freak2:
Chillbongo

Postby gcclaker on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:17 pm

Maluco Beleza wrote:^ you can't stop lbj... you honestly think he can't drive going left at all?

he either drives, finds an open guy.. hits an and 1... pull up j... dunks.. he has it all

like kobe did. no way in stopping that

I've seen him drive to his left then using his off hand to lay it in or just go in with sheer force. It's what Jordan said. Myself, I'd let him take the J instead as I said in my post above. James is without a doubt in his prime and will be there for at least two to three years.
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Balance&Options24 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:26 pm

It wasn’t the type of conversation Bulls forward Taj Gibson anticipated having when he accepted a spot on the USA Select Team last summer to work out against Team USA as it prepared for the London Olympics. Then again, it isn’t often LeBron James tries to recruit you to join him with the Miami Heat. ‘‘We talked about it a lot because I was coming up on my contract, possibly becoming a free agent,’’ Gibson said. ‘‘We were kicking it around, and [James] was saying: ‘Come to Miami. Come in, and we’ll treat you right there.’ I was like, ‘Nah, I’m cool with the Bulls.’ ’’ Chicago Sun-Times
Read more at http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#Up7w6YUXsuwlvQwE.99

I don't like this new NBA where everyone recruits each other to play with on the same team. Especially from rival teams.
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby JSM on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:10 pm

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA 25m
After the Heat-Bulls game, LeBron James complained that a lot of the fouls against him "are not basketball plays."

Can't believe this tool has the audacity to complain about whistles. He gets more phantom calls in his favor than anyone in the history of the game. Cry me a river, so a team got a little physical with you and you weren't man enough to handle actual contact. So you huff and puff and try to retaliate against Booz and the refs call you on it.

Oh how I wish he would have played in the 90s. This level of physicality he encountered would have been just your run of the mill Wednesday nights against ANY team in the league.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:26 pm

Of course he is going to complain.... Lebron gets special treatment from the officials. This game was the first time in a long time a team was allowed to play physical with him. He can't be touched. Ever.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:07 pm

Not basketball plays.....hmmm.....well s***...

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Tobias Funke on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:14 pm

JSM wrote:
Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA 25m
After the Heat-Bulls game, LeBron James complained that a lot of the fouls against him "are not basketball plays."

Can't believe this tool has the audacity to complain about whistles. He gets more phantom calls in his favor than anyone in the history of the game. Cry me a river, so a team got a little physical with you and you weren't man enough to handle actual contact. So you huff and puff and try to retaliate against Booz and the refs call you on it.

Oh how I wish he would have played in the 90s. This level of physicality he encountered would have been just your run of the mill Wednesday nights against ANY team in the league.

I guess his play on Boozer was a basketball play huh? Wade taught him well.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby Lakeshow24 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:14 pm

:man10: :man10: :man10: LMAO!!!

Doc Brown wrote:Not basketball plays.....hmmm.....well s***...

UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:57 am

^OH my aren't there "unwritten rules" about big guys flopping all over the place?
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby The Rock on Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:12 am

So hes complaining about the physical plays from last night...seriously that is just shameful, hes bigger, faster and stronger than anyone else in the league. We saw what happened in the All star game when the refs let Kobe get a little bit physical with him, Lebron got all frustrated and looking around for calls. He and Wade literally live and die by the whistle

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:59 am

It's ridiculous that he's complaining. He still gets the LeBron treatment from refs ALL THE TIME. The Bulls were being physical and every time they hit him or smacked him he did draw a foul. What does he want new rules that say "if you hit too hard" it's a flagrant?

Absolute pu*** s*** from the beastliest dude in the league. I hope teams keep doing this to him. And he absolutely deserved a flagrant for the check on boozer. What a baby.

And I thought the man actually changed from his CLE days?
Chillbongo

Postby nameant on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:12 am

Those gifs absolutely disgust me. Never seen MJ acting like that...never seen Kobe acting like that. No "GOAT" will ever act like that in my book...gtfo.
nameant

Postby Weezy on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:01 am

LeBron is a complete wuss (not the word I really wanted to use) for complaining about physical play. And people here actually said he would thrive in the 80s and 90s NBA, he'd go home crying after games back then. He gets as much ref protection as anyone if not more, AND he doesn't get fouls called on himself, he has zero right to EVER complain.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:06 am

Look how dejected he is and how flustered he becomes after the refs allow some physical defense. This guy :man10:

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:27 am

Chillbongo

Postby kenshi1023 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:36 am

lebron would probably file a police report if he played back in the 80's & 90's. :)

201303271944710880501-p2[1].jpg
201303271944710880501-p2[1].jpg (71.76 KiB) Viewed 765 times
lakers turned mr.potatohead into pringles!
kenshi1023

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion