Official Miami Heat "DreamTeam" Thread: Miami Plan A Success

Re: The Miami Plan: LBJ, D-Wade, Bosh, & Pat Riley

Postby Venti Quattro on Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:30 pm

GinoDB wrote:
Venti Quattro wrote:Stephen A. Smith is a joke. On his radio show he said that the Heat can sign LeBron James and Chris Bosh to max deals and then sign Dwayne Wade to a max deal and be allowed to go over the salary cap because he is their own free agent. It's just absurd that a basketball "insider" has no clue how the salary cap works.

Im ok with being proven wrong but Im pretty sure Stephen A is right on this one

I am 100% sure and am willing to bet my car on the fact that Miami can't do that.

As of July 1st, if the salary cap is indeed $56.1 million as projected, the Miami Heat situation is as follows assuming they renounce the rights to everyone but Dwayne Wade:

Beasley - $4,962,240
Chalmers - $854,389
Jones - I'm not sure so, I'm using $0.

Wade - $23,669,869.50 (hold)
Player 5 - $473,604 (hold)
Player 6 - $473,604 (hold)
Player 7 - $473,604 (hold)
Player 8 - $473,604 (hold)
Player 9 - $473,604 (hold)
Player 10 - $473,604 (hold)
Player 11 - $473,604 (hold)
Player 12 - $473,604 (hold)

That's $5,816,629 in salaries and $27,458,701.50 in holds, totaling $33,275,330.50 in cap space used and $22,824,669.50 remaining to sign free agents.

Once max free agent #1 is signed:

Beasley - $4,962,240
Chalmers - $854,389
MAX #1 - $16,830,000

Wade - $23,669,869.50 (hold)

That's $22,646,629 in salaries and $26,985,097.50 in holds, totaling $49,631,726.50 in cap space used and $6,468,273.50 remaining to sign free agents.

Now, Wade must be signed to remove his monster cap hold.

Beasley - $4,962,240
Chalmers - $854,389
MAX #1 - $16,830,000
Wade - $16,830,000

That's $39,476,629 in salaries and $3,315,228 in holds, totaling $42,791,857 in cap space used and $13,308,143 remaining to sign free agents.

That's $3,048,253 short of a third max deal, and this is using $0 as Jones' number.
March 21, 1999:

Los Angeles Lakers 115, Orlando Magic 104 FINAL/Overtime

Kobe Bryant - 38 Points, 4 Assists, 3 Rebounds, 2 Steals, 1 NEW FAN
Venti Quattro

Postby The Rock on Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:35 pm

Chris Bosh ain't returning to Toronto
http://tinyurl.com/25jb9r3
It's far from surprising news, but Chris Bosh's free agency has now become official. After missing the playoffs with the Toronto Raptors last season, forward Chris Bosh has decided to opt out of his contract, making him an unrestricted free agent on July 1st.

Raptors GM Brian Coangelo sat down for an interview with Toronto's Fan 590 on Monday. During the interview, Coangelo revealed that Bosh has officially opted out of his contract. Coangelo then went on to say that he feels it is "likely" that Bosh will leave. Coangelo gave the impression that the Raptors are now hoping to lose Bosh in a sign-and-trade rather than free agency, but sounded less than confident that the Raptors will be able to do even that. At one point, a frustrated Coangelo revealed that he has had a difficult time even making contact with Bosh this off-season.

Bosh's departure from Toronto is all but a foregone conclusion at this point; even so, it's interesting to hear the general manager of his former team all but admit that his team's best player will not be returning next season. To listen to the full interview, which includes Coangelo giving his thoughts on possible tampering and what the team plans to do with Hedo Turkoglu, click the link.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby laakers on Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:01 pm

if this happened, damn. big 3 all over again, except this time they are all better than the other player (except kg-bosh matchup) but they are in their primes! this wont work as well as the celtics because of the fact that these 3 arent chasing rings yet like allen pierce and garnett.

also, if this happened, the media would be all over it. nicknames, interviews, they would try to keep the 3 together like they are superheroes.
laakers

Postby abeer3 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:18 pm

i love how we have about 5 separate lead pipe lock guarantees, each claiming a different destination for lebron.
abeer3

Postby ShaqDieselLaker on Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:57 pm

Venti Quattro wrote:
That's $3,048,253 short of a third max deal, and this is using $0 as Jones' number.

These FAs gave up 600,000 simply by going into free agency instead of signing on with their own teams. Florida taxes are also much lower and 3mil is not a number these FAs couldn't make elsewhere. Also, Miami isn't done wheeling and dealing yet, I think. Should be interesting.
Derek Fisher is the heart and soul of this team- Kobe(Black Mamba)
When we win it, it's going to taste much sweeter knowing I played with the injury- Andrew(Lionheart)
Tomorrow is another opportunity to accomplish great things- Pau(Pauwer)
Ron Artest is the Game 7 MVP- Phil(Zen Master)
Q:Pierce says series isn't coming back to LA? A: [Mean Stare]- Derek(President)
If we don't win the championship, it's my fault- Ron(Tru Warier)
ShaqDieselLaker

Location: Sorry Boston, the championship trophy belongs in LA

Postby ShaqDieselLaker on Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:03 pm

"...Dwayne Wade has done a very good job of convincing them not just about [Heat president] Pat Riley, not just about the fact that there are no [state] income taxes in the state of Florida but at the same time he's there in a tandem and that's what it's going to take."

http://www.nesn.com/2010/06/stephen-a-smith-saying-lebron-james-chris-bosh-heading-to-heat.html
When we win it, it's going to taste much sweeter knowing I played with the injury- Andrew(Lionheart)
ShaqDieselLaker

Postby Iceberg Slim on Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:04 pm

Remember Game 3 of the '94 ECSFs between the Bulls and the Knicks? What was that about great coaches always being able to keep player egos in check? In a playoff game no less.

C'mon Bruddha...

That was a whole different situation. Hell, the cops have guns, armor, nightsticks, and the biggest gang in the world. That doesn't stop fools from doing dumb things when anger is at the height of the emotions. And maybe that is your point. But I'm speaking of day-to-day ego's and perspective. Different story in my opinion.

If a guy like Phil Jackson can make a Shaq and Kobe win, a Riley can do the same. He's proved it already with his past success. And lastly, since when does Dwyane Wade have a huge ego, needs mass amounts of attention, and is a media wh0re that some are portraying him to be in this thread? Sure, amongst his low level talent team, he puffs his chest, struts a little, and engages the crowd because well...who else is going to do it? He's an entertainer. They paid good money to see him perform, lol. But amongst another great star, I don't see this ugly backlash of emotions coming from D-Wade. He didn't show that with the ultimate ego (Shaq). He didn't show it on the Redeem Team. And since he's been in the L, there has been no real whispers about it. So why speculate on something with no real foundation?
www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Iceberg Slim

Postby ShaqDieselLaker on Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:38 pm

The Heat is on.

Wade optimistic Heat can land LeBron, Bosh

The starting gate of NBA free agency is about to burst open.

The Miami Heat just might win a triple crown.

A source close to Dwyane Wade said the Heat guard believes his team is poised to pull off a free-agency coup of landing himself, Cleveland Cavaliers guard LeBron James and Toronto Raptors forward Chris Bosh.

However that same source, as well as a party inside the league, said Wade also plans to cover himself during the initial days of the free-agency negotiating period by scheduling interviews with the Bulls, New York Knicks and, in somewhat of a surprise, the Dallas Mavericks.
While the Knicks and Bulls, like the Heat, have the salary-cap space to sign multiple top-tier free agents, the Mavericks do not have available cap space this offseason and would need to complete a sign-and-trade agreement with the Heat to add Wade.

In addition, while there has been speculation that a James arrival in South Florida would mean Pat Riley again returning to coach the team, a party close to Wade indicated that James would be receptive to working with Erik Spoelstra, who is scheduled to begin his third season as Heat coach.

While free-agent negotiations are allowed to begin July 1, teams are not allowed to reach binding free-agent agreements until July 8.

Although speculation on a Wade-James-Bosh pairing has centered on each of the three taking less than maximum salaries to make the math work, one NBA team executive told the Sun Sentinel Monday that it was his belief that not all of the players involved are receptive to such an approach.

Regardless, in order to accommodate Wade and two other signings near their maximum free-agent salary of roughly $16.6 million, the Heat would have to trade second-year forward Michael Beasley. A league executive said he felt Riley, in his role as Heat president, would be able to find such a suitor on short notice, if he does not already have one lined up.

Counting a re-signed Wade, the Heat currently has roughly $27 million available in salary-cap space, with Beasley still on its 2010-11 payroll. There also is a chance of adjusting the buyout of forward James Jones, which could slightly boost the amount of available salary-cap space. Jones must be waived or traded by Wednesday for the non-buyout portion of his 2010-11 salary not to count against the salary cap.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/06/report-wade-hopeful-heat-can-land-lebron-bosh.html
ShaqDieselLaker

Postby ShaqDieselLaker on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:17 pm

abeer3 wrote:i love how we have about 5 separate lead pipe lock guarantees, each claiming a different destination for lebron.

After thinking about it, I believe this one is the best situation for him though. You have proven commodities coming together. If LBJ wants multiples championships soon, this would be his best bet. He has to be thinking about 5-6 championships. If he waits to long, he will be old news and there will be some new kid on the block that overtakes him.
ShaqDieselLaker

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:54 pm

Iceberg Slim wrote:C'mon Bruddha...

That was a whole different situation. Hell, the cops have guns, armor, nightsticks, and the biggest gang in the world. That doesn't stop fools from doing dumb things when anger is at the height of the emotions. And maybe that is your point. But I'm speaking of day-to-day ego's and perspective. Different story in my opinion.

The day to day doesn't mean a damn thing if things fall apart come crunch time. What if Kukoc had missed? People would have blamed Scottie for years even if his refusing to participate in the play only had a minimal impact on the outcome. Sooner or later this proposed dream team will find themselves in a situation where someone is gonna have to take the last second shot. My point is that even if you keep everyone's ego in check 99% of the time, it's during those closing seconds that we'll find out who is a team player and who isn't. Your post suggests that all will be ok because of the almighty Pat Riley. My point is that when you have three guys who are used to being #1, sure everything could go smoothly, but then again...

Iceberg Slim wrote:If a guy like Phil Jackson can make a Shaq and Kobe win, a Riley can do the same. He's proved it already with his past success. And lastly, since when does Dwyane Wade have a huge ego, needs mass amounts of attention, and is a media wh0re that some are portraying him to be in this thread? Sure, amongst his low level talent team, he puffs his chest, struts a little, and engages the crowd because well...who else is going to do it? He's an entertainer. They paid good money to see him perform, lol. But amongst another great star, I don't see this ugly backlash of emotions coming from D-Wade. He didn't show that with the ultimate ego (Shaq). He didn't show it on the Redeem Team. And since he's been in the L, there has been no real whispers about it. So why speculate on something with no real foundation?

It's not Wade's ego that needs to be watched, it's Lebron's. Without question he's the guy who will determine whether or not it all works or not. You can't tell me that Lebron isn't guilty of all of those things you praise Wade for avoiding. Mass attention wh0ring, acting a fool on the sideline, making excuses etc... And if you were actually paying attention to my original response, I was replying to someone who suggested that Wade would gladly step aside to accept a #2 role alongside Lebron which is just plain asinine. Why would he and why should he? My point is that if LBJ goes to Miami, he's going to Wade's house. There really is no other way around it. You're coming to the very franchise that he's won a ring for and the building he's always played in. I fail to see how this isn't obvious to some people. Even if Lebron were to come to LA and become the #1 option for the Lakers, no one would deny that he was playing in Kobe's house and that Kobe was still top dog. That was my original point.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby Venti Quattro on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:58 pm

ShaqDieselLaker wrote:
Venti Quattro wrote:

These FAs gave up 600,000 simply by going into free agency instead of signing on with their own teams. Florida taxes are also much lower and 3mil is not a number these FAs couldn't make elsewhere. Also, Miami isn't done wheeling and dealing yet, I think. Should be interesting.

Giving up $2 million to $3 million in year one equals giving up about $15 million over the span of five years. Add the about $30 million they would be giving up by not re-signing with their current team...that's $45 million dollars! I'm sorry, but I just can't see any person give up that kind of income, especially an elite athlete entering the prime of his career.
March 21, 1999:

Los Angeles Lakers 115, Orlando Magic 104 FINAL/Overtime

Kobe Bryant - 38 Points, 4 Assists, 3 Rebounds, 2 Steals, 1 NEW FAN
Venti Quattro

Postby ShaqDieselLaker on Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:41 pm

D-Wade seeking Lebron and Bosh

Miami Heat's Dwyane Wade: free agent situation "is a no-brainer"

CHICAGO -- Dwyane Wade has given the Miami Heat his ``wish list'' of potential targets he wants team president Pat Riley to pursue when free agency opens at 12:01 a.m. Thursday.

Landing the services of LeBron James and either Amare Stoudemire or Chris Bosh in Miami would be the beginning of the kind of championship makeover Wade seeks this summer.

Wade stopped short of offering names of the marquee players he discussed with Riley in recent weeks. But the Heat's star guard repeatedly mentioned James and Bosh when he talked about players who instantly could push a team to title contention.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/06/28/1705767/dwyane-wade-wont-say-who-he-wants.html#ixzz0sDK3iuwK
ShaqDieselLaker

Postby ShaqDieselLaker on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:05 pm

Venti Quattro wrote:
ShaqDieselLaker wrote:
Venti Quattro wrote:

Giving up $2 million to $3 million in year one equals giving up about $15 million over the span of five years. Add the about $30 million they would be giving up by not re-signing with their current team...that's $45 million dollars! I'm sorry, but I just can't see any person give up that kind of income, especially an elite athlete entering the prime of his career.

Point. This is what Riley had to say. Sounds like it is a pretty big win for them if it gets done.

For months, Wade has talked about the possibility of teaming with James and Bosh to rekindle the chemistry they shared during their gold medal run in the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

After last week's NBA Draft, Riley made light of creating enough salary-cap space to sign three players at or near maximum-salary contracts. But last month, Riley said he could envision a scenario in which Wade and two other superstars would discuss the sacrifices needed to assemble a formidable trio.

``You can build your own team in a lot of different ways,'' said Riley, who is expected to meet with James in Ohio this week. ``I know what I'm going to do with the first four or five guys. It's a question of putting together scenarios and financial packages and things like that. If you can get some philanthropic free agents who want to play here -- the point is, these players can create their own teams.''

Wade said the possibility of building a dynasty on the fly factored into his decision to bypass an extension with the Heat and opt out of his contract.

``I don't need to sign an extension and kill some of that [salary] room,'' Wade said of the Heat's available salary-cap space. ``I want them to keep as much of that room as possible to sign some outstanding players. Until then, we can all sit back and read the speculation.''

Read more:http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/06/28/1705767/dwyane-wade-wont-say-who-he-wants.html#ixzz0sDPR7K8S
ShaqDieselLaker

Postby revgen on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:33 pm

GinoDB wrote:
Venti Quattro wrote:Stephen A. Smith is a joke. On his radio show he said that the Heat can sign LeBron James and Chris Bosh to max deals and then sign Dwayne Wade to a max deal and be allowed to go over the salary cap because he is their own free agent. It's just absurd that a basketball "insider" has no clue how the salary cap works.

Im ok with being proven wrong but Im pretty sure Stephen A is right on this one

Max money is 18.8 million a year average. If they sign Wade to the max, there will only be 27 million left over. They need to shed weight off the team in order to sign all 3 to max deals.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby jBL on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:40 pm

HoopsHype indicates that James Jones is set to make $4.64M this season.
jBL

Postby jBL on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:42 pm

Beasley has team option next season so I think that it's worth the risk for small charge.
jBL

Postby 2wheelgod on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:36 pm

If LBJ, Wade, and Bosh all are on the same team, then you can bet endorsement money to 1 or 2 of them will decrease! Doesn't make sense for Nike to endorse 2-3 people on the same team. It's money not well spent by Nike.

My gut feeling tells me that Lebron will not go to Miami. The strong perception is that Miami is Wade's team. Too much ego at play here.

And I also believe in this rule. When something is too good to be true, and it may or may not happen, and some fool say something like his impeccable source says... this.. that... then you can bet against the source safely! The reason good/great things often transpire in secrecy, not in public space. This is just life.

Additionally, I just wanna add that Pat Riley is quite an opportunist. When the team is good, he swoops in to coach. When bad, he swoops back into front office. Must be nice. The team of James, Wade, Bosh can win title on autopilot without a coach. But rest assure Riley will be on the floor to bathe in some of that spotlight.
2wheelgod

Postby noobiew on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:59 pm

Bosh + Lebron + Wade + Riley

Then their bench must be the worst in the league, i say BRING IT ON !!!
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby schleprok on Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:05 am

I heard something about Miami trading Beasley which is the only way they could sign 3 max contract players.
schleprok

Postby thkthebest on Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:09 am

schleprok wrote:I heard something about Miami trading Beasley which is the only way they could sign 3 max contract players.

I believe they can sign one max contract player while still being under the salary cap. Then they can use the rest of the cap (less than max) on someone like Bosh. After that, they can go over the cap to extend Wade's contract.

But yea, they'd need to trade Beasley to get all three for a max contract.
My signature
thkthebest

Postby eNlight on Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:08 am

lakers without any additions this year, are still greater than james + bosh + wade

if we add blake, raja, and a veteran big, we will crush the miami heat
eNlight

Postby kobeownslebron on Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:07 am

Who cares ? They still would fail miserably against the Lakers in the Finals.
kobeownslebron

Postby kobeownslebron on Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:08 am

mavoretto wrote:haha,imagine if the loose the finals like lakers' "All-star team" in 2004 :)))))

Even to this day I can't believe we lost in 2004.
kobeownslebron

Postby 2wheelgod on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:23 am

1) a team of James, Wade, Bosh, + Riley, would easily (EASILY) draw in veterans and other "ring seekers" type of players.. for cheap. So don't assume their bench would be a void.

2) the Lakers 2004 "All-Star" team had a gimpy Malone with torn knee ligament, and an old Payton. And then they played a top defensive team in the Pistons, who were in their primes. This hypothetical Miami ain't old and ain't gimpy. And they can easily attract other ring seekers to fill the roster. All the ring seekers that the current Lakers are trying to attract,.. could easily jump to Miami.
2wheelgod

Postby ShaqDieselLaker on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:37 am

LeBron, Wade, Bosh talk of splitting Heat cash

The South Florida Sun Sentinel has learned that the three star free agents have gone as far as to acknowledge that it might not be possible for the Heat to clear the needed space to start each of the three at the $16.6 million maximum salary that they would be eligible for in the first year of new contracts.

According to the source, the three have agreed to consider to "split the money up," if need be.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/06/lebron-wade-bosh-talk-of-splitting-heat-cash.html
ShaqDieselLaker

Next

Return to NBA Discussion