Offseason teams with the A's

Offseason teams with the A's

Postby rydjorker121 on Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:21 pm

Sam Amico, InsideHoops FreeLance Writer, wrote:
San Antonio. The defending champs lost David Robinson and Steve Kerr to retirement, adding Robert Horry, Hedo Turkoglu, and Ron Mercer. In other words, the Spurs are much, much better -- especially when you're talking about the bench. Offseason grade: A-plus.

L.A. Lakers. GM Mitch Kupchak is being hailed as a genius, even if the only thing he really did was light holy candles and pray while waiting to see if Karl Malone and Gary Payton would take pay cuts. Malone and Payton did, and with or without Kobe Bryant, this team will win at least 60 games. It might win 70. By the way, I also think first-round pick Brian Cook was an absolute steal. Grade: A-plus.

Sacramento. All the Kings did was trade for one of the league's most underrated centers in Brad Miller, a tough hombre who possesses a soft shooting touch. And all they had to give up was Scot Pollard, a tough hombre who possesses no shooting touch. Sacramento GM Geoff Petrie also just signed free-agent guard and defensive whiz Anthony Peeler. Nice work, kids. Grade: A-plus.

Dallas: Losing Nick Van Exel to Golden State might hurt more than you think, as now the point guard position consists of Steve Nash and ... well, no one. But when you consider the Mavericks received the younger and much more versatile Antawn Jamison in return, you have to think they can live with some CBA lifer -- or worse, Jiri Welsh -- backing up Nash. I especially like how the Mavs talked Golden State into throwing in rebounding machine Danny Fortson, who has to be ready for a banner year after being forgotten with the Warriors. Grade: A.

Washington: When I wrote about the Wizards last summer, I was mentioning names such as Michael Jordan, Charles Oakley, and Byron Russell. They were the kind of names that made you want to read on. This summer, I write about the Wizards at the risk of putting you to sleep. But how does this sound for a lineup: free-agent signee Gilbert Arenas and Larry Hughes at guard, Jerry Stackhouse and Christian Laettner at forward, and Brendan Haywood at center. Off the bench come the ever-improving Kwame Brown, talented second-year players such as Juan Dixon and Jared Jeffries, and rookie Jarvis Hayes. Granted, Arenas and Hayes are the only newcomers -- but those two are enough to make me think the Wizards will be very athletic and an absolute joy to watch. And whoever thought we would say that about a team that just lost Michael Jordan? Grade: A.

New Jersey: The Nets re-signed Jason Kidd and took a gamble on Alonzo Mourning. Even if the Mourning experiment doesn't pay off, they'll be as good as last season. And can you imagine what will happen if Mourning DOES rebound from his year lost to a kidney ailment? Wow! Grade: A.

Minnesota: Lost virtually no one, landed Latrell Sprewell, Sam Cassell and Michael Olowokandi. But just to show you how remarkable of a summer this has been, the Timberwolves still haven't assured themselves of a spot in the second round of the playoffs. No fault of their own, though. Grade: A.

Golden State: Gone are Gilbert Arenas, Earl Boykins, Antawn Jamison and Danny Fortson. Replacing them are Nick Van Exel, Speedy Claxton, and ... well, Evan Eschmeyer. Also traded Bob Sura for Uncle "Cliffy" Robinson, which was a steal. That's certainly an upgrade, since the Warriors had too many people who played the same style last season, and the only thing the overabundance of swingmen did was create mass confusion. You're really gonna think I'm nuts here, but these guys are gonna be better -- and will replace Utah as the No. 8 seed in the Western Conference playoffs. Grade: A.

Golden State: Gone are Gilbert Arenas, Earl Boykins, Antawn Jamison and Danny Fortson. Replacing them are Nick Van Exel, Speedy Claxton, and ... well, Evan Eschmeyer. Sounds like a bad offseason, right? But let's face it, the Warriors had too many people who played the same style last season, and the only thing the overabundance of swingmen did was create mass confusion. You're really gonna think I'm nuts here, but these guys are gonna be better -- and will replace Utah as the No. 8 seed in the Western Conference playoffs. Grade: A-minus.

Denver: The Nuggets were desperate for help in the backcourt, so GM Kiki Vandeweghe went out and got some. Actually, Vandeweghe got a lot, as signing Andre Miller, Earl Boykins, and Jon Barry gives Denver a little of everything -- great passing, quickness, and shooting, respectively. Throw in my rookie of the year pick, Carmelo Anthony, and second-year stud Nene Hilario, and the Nuggets should win about 10 more games. Can't ask for much more than that. Grade: A-minus.

Orlando: Signed Juwan Howard and Tyronn Lue, and kept Tracy McGrady, Drew Gooden, and Gordon Giricek. Can you say Eastern Conference darkhorse? Grade: A-minus.

Cleveland: Besides using the No. 1 overall draft pick on obvious choice LeBron James, GM Jim Paxson made some extremely underrated moves by obtaining guards Kevin Ollie and J.R. Bremer, and forward Ira Newble. All three are the type of ultimate role players who won't mind making sure youngsters such as James and Ricky Davis succeed. Grade: A-minus.

Philadelphia: Glenn Robinson will do what Keith Van Horn was supposed to -- stand 15 feet from the basket and hit five straight shots after Allen Iverson slips into one of those seven-of-29 shooting funks. As far as this Iverson fan is concerned, that's all the 76ers need. Grade: A-minus.

Yay! :man12: The Lakers got an A+!!! Does that mean they get an A++ if they signed Jimmy Jackson?

P.S. They forgot to mention Horace Grant. C'mon, my ol' man's not bad at all.

P.P.S. Love what they said about B. Cook there.

P.P.P.S. How the hell did the Queens get an A+? Trash, dude. Scot Pollard HAS a shooting touch, Amico. :man2:
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby SWOL on Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:26 pm

dude gave every team in the league an A...he is weak

minnesota deserved an A++
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby Ring It Up on Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:28 pm

swolswol wrote:dude gave every team in the league an A...he is weak

minnesota deserved an A++

gave those A's out like it was candy.
How do I know Jesus loves me so much he doesn't want me working the whole weekend?
Exodus 31:15 Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day shall be put to death.
Don't believe those lies, son! The only lies worth believing are the ones in the Bible! Can I get an amen?
Ring It Up

Postby SWOL on Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:41 pm

he gave the Cavs an A for fokin Kevin Ollie and Jr Bremer WFT......fok it A's for everybody....everyones happy....nice fokin analyst....my dog could analize better than that a-hole
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby Ring It Up on Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:44 pm

LOL. They should have got a C. Decent players but not going to put your team over the top. Its looks like he is parent talking about his kids.....cant say the real truth or anything bad about your kids
How do I know Jesus loves me so much he doesn't want me working the whole weekend?
Exodus 31:15 Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day shall be put to death.
Don't believe those lies, son! The only lies worth believing are the ones in the Bible! Can I get an amen?
Ring It Up

Postby murcielago62 on Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:33 pm

LOL, half the league got an A
"Sitting in the house, I'm loadin' up the pump. I'm loadin' up the Uzi. I got a couple M-16s, a couple 9s. I got a couple joints with some silencers on them. I'm just loading clips, a couple grenades. I got a missile launcher with a couple of missiles. I'm ready for war." - Kevin Garnett
murcielago62

Postby Danny Ainge on Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:32 pm

How Golden State got an A is beyond me. Philly too :disagree:
Why not put Detroit on there. They almost made it to the Finals with no talent and now they have added Darko Milicek a future star and Larry Brown a star coach.

Here are the F grades

Utah- Had a shot at, Brad Miller, Andre Miller, Gilbert Arenas and signed none of them.

Atlanta- They're looking down the road waaaaaayyyyyy down the road.

NY- Why are they adding another undersized pf in Mike Sweetney? They already have an undersized center in Kurt Thomas, an overpaid 2-guard in Houston and a former college football QB who sould have remained just that in Charlie Ward. Layden is a moron.

Bucks- Lost Allen, Payton, Big Dog, & Cassel all within a couple years. Now they too must rebuild.
Big props to UGOTOWN3D for the avy.
DA fan club:UGOTOWN3D, Realm Of Shadows, DarthRekal, SOAD, hZm
http://www.clubkingshoops.com/forums//
Danny Ainge

Postby echo nation on Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:26 am

dont we all wish we had that guy grading our papers?
Just A Saturday Away
echo nation

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:27 am

echo nation wrote:dont we all wish we had that guy grading our papers?

LMAO...well our intentions of passing were good :man10: :man3: :bow:
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Kobe's Therapist on Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:00 am

Looks like, according to that guy, the NBA got Straight A's this off season ... must be nice to bring that report card home to daddy (aka David Stern).

It's a shame that he's not even close on several of them.
Kobe's Therapist

Postby FabFourLakers on Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:59 am

swolswol wrote:he gave the Cavs an A for fokin Kevin Ollie and Jr Bremer WFT......fok it A's for everybody....everyones happy....nice fokin analyst....my dog could analize better than that a-hole

dude u are too funny!!!!!

WHAT THE HELL HOW DID SACRAMENTO GET AN A+!!! This guy was talkin about how "all sacramento gave up was scot pollard". Well, NOT REALLY AMICO. Did he forget about Turkoglu? how about Keon Clark bein traded? And the loss of Jimmy Jackson? WHAT THE HELL DOES PEELER DO FOR U? He might as well thrown in Massenburg to make it even more obvious that he was suckin up to the kings!

And swolswol, i agree with u 100%. Even though the OBVIOUS winners of this year's offseason is the lakers, the REAL winners are the T-Wolves. I mean you get to trade up for sam cassell without givin up any valuable players(they traded an unwanted Joe Smith and Peeler), you trade up an injured/soon to retire player in Terrell Brandon for an explosive scorer in Latrell Sprewell, and u shock the world by signing Olowokandi outta nowhere, an unproven and injury prone center in the west but has alot of potential to prove ppl wrong, and you still kept your 3 main scorers in Garnett, Sczcerbiak and HUDSON comin off the bench! I mean what more do u want?

This damn AMICO guy made some bad observations! Why the hell are the CAVS in there? SO WHAT if they got Lebron? They will still win 17-25 games and get the NUMBER 1 Pick next season too.

and golden state? A?! R U KIDDING?!!! They may have gotten a great clutch player in van exel and an old but still solid forward in Cliffy, but god damn u give up ur number 1 scorer on ur team for vets who are gonna retire in 3-4 years? Thats almost like trading Kobe for Reggie Miller!!!
FabFourLakers

Return to NBA Discussion