Omer Asik's Contract. WTF

Omer Asik's Contract. WTF

Postby BruinLaker87 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:55 am

Houston just gave Omer Asik (averaged 4 pts, 5 rebs last year) a 3-year $25M offer. In 2014-2015 they'll owe Jeremy Lin and Asik a combined $30M. What was the point of the lockout?

I just don't understand this. Is this part of Houston's backfiring plan to make other teams overpay?
BruinLaker87

Re: Omer Asik's Contract. WTF

Postby The Rock on Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:20 am

Morey found some loophole, he gets to pay them $8 mil a year. If Knicks picked them up it would be $5, $5 and $15 mil. Same for Bulls

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby jbiggs on Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:24 am

lmao. anthony davis got a worse contract than this
KOBE FOR LIFE
jbiggs
ClubCavs.com Administrator

Location: Born in South Torrance (So Cal) and currently in Escondido

Postby SmoothOperator on Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:02 pm

The only possible reasonable explaination I can think of to comprehend Daryl Morley's thought process is that he's big into "Money ball"/John Hollinger PER stats.

With that said... according to www.basketball-reference.com, Omer Asik averaged 7.6ppg/13rpg/2.5bpg PER 36minutes last season.

.....so he must assume those are the numbers Asik is gonna put up with starter minutes.

Like I said.... only reasonable explaination lol.
You can't spell LeBlow Image without ELBOW....
SmoothOperator

Postby 432J on Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:07 pm

the rockets will soon realize their mistake and that asik SUCKS. i dont understand why people like this guy so much, he flat out sucks. atrocious offensive game and low rebounding numbers for a guy his size.

good job houston
:man10:
432J

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:22 pm

432J wrote:the rockets will soon realize their mistake and that asik SUCKS. i dont understand why people like this guy so much, he flat out sucks. atrocious offensive game and low rebounding numbers for a guy his size.

good job houston

:man3:

Asik is a terrific rebounder and defender. He averages over 5 rebounds and only plays about 15 minutes. Per 36 minutes he averages about 13. That's terrific. Offensively he's limited obviously, but so are alot of centers. Asik is overpaid definitely, but he's a solid role player. Chicago will miss him.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Ring It Up on Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:23 pm

Man I hate per 36 min stats. The game isnt played in per mins. Its played in mins. Its a reason Asik only played 15 mins a game. It wasn't because he was great or because he could pull down 13 boards a game if averaged 36 mins a game. Role players typically don't get big mins because they are inconsistent or cant maintain a certain level of play with extended mins. I wouldn't call his rebounding atrocious but I sure as hell wouldn't call it terrific either.
How do I know Jesus loves me so much he doesn't want me working the whole weekend?
Exodus 31:15 Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day shall be put to death.
Don't believe those lies, son! The only lies worth believing are the ones in the Bible! Can I get an amen?
Ring It Up

Postby FabFourLakers on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:09 pm

Can he play 30 mpg? Is he capable? We'll seee....cuz he's gonna have to play BIG minutes for them. They literally have no centers. Lin is gonna have to make Asik better...they're pouring a ton of money into both of these guys.
FabFourLakers

Postby revgen on Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:18 pm

Ring It Up wrote:Role players typically don't get big mins because they are inconsistent or cant maintain a certain level of play with extended mins..

That's not necessarily the case if they're playing behind established vets like Noah.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby purp n gold on Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:25 pm

SmoothOperator wrote:The only possible reasonable explaination I can think of to comprehend Daryl Morley's thought process is that he's big into "Money ball"/John Hollinger PER stats.

With that said... according to www.basketball-reference.com, Omer Asik averaged 7.6ppg/13rpg/2.5bpg PER 36minutes last season.

.....so he must assume those are the numbers Asik is gonna put up with starter minutes.

Like I said.... only reasonable explaination lol.

:man10: Moneyball (Moreyball) won't work in basketball! It's a major problem when your starting C can't catch a chest pass.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby 432J on Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:37 pm

KeepBynum wrote:
432J wrote:the rockets will soon realize their mistake and that asik SUCKS. i dont understand why people like this guy so much, he flat out sucks. atrocious offensive game and low rebounding numbers for a guy his size.

good job houston

Asik is a terrific rebounder and defender. He averages over 5 rebounds and only plays about 15 minutes. Per 36 minutes he averages about 13. That's terrific. Offensively he's limited obviously, but so are alot of centers. Asik is overpaid definitely, but he's a solid role player. Chicago will miss him.

yeah he plays 15 minutes cuz he's not capable of playing anything more. he may have a knack for rebounding but other than that, he sucks. chicago is smart for not matching this ridiculous contract
432J

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:29 pm

I say PAY EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Congo Cash on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:40 pm

Asik is a stiff and they will soon regret this... At least Jeremy Lin will sell you some jerseys...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:53 pm

432J wrote:
KeepBynum wrote:

good job houston

yeah he plays 15 minutes cuz he's not capable of playing anything more. he may have a knack for rebounding but other than that, he sucks. chicago is smart for not matching this ridiculous contract

The reason he doesn't play more is because he plays behind Joakim Noah.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Congo Cash on Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:13 am

Per 36 assumes that he will increase his production with added minutes... He can't shoot FTs and he can't catch the ball, so yeah good luck with that... He is also foul-prone so he can't even stay on the floor even if you want to play him more...
Congo Cash

Postby 432J on Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:12 am

Congo Cash wrote:Per 36 assumes that he will increase his production with added minutes... He can't shoot FTs and he can't catch the ball, so yeah good luck with that... He is also foul-prone so he can't even stay on the floor even if you want to play him more...

exactly. he's overrated, simple as that
432J

Postby nameant on Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:22 am

Never heard of the guy. No, for real.
nameant

Postby MadMax on Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:14 am

nameant wrote:Never heard of the guy. No, for real.

Me too...
MadMax

Postby abeer3 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:37 am

the assumption of linearity in production per minute is just ridiculous. it's crazy to pay 8 million per to a guy who's never played more than 15 mpg, regardless of his production per minute.

i remember carl landry was supposed to be the best player in the nba...IF ONLY HE COULD GET THE MINUTES!

asik's a sub-average starting c, imo. and if they did manage to hoodwink orlando, he's an incredibly expensive backup.

good job by the bulls not to overpay, and good save on picking up nazr mohammed at 1/25th the cost. i mean, for his career, he's 6.6/5.2 in 17mpg, that's a 14/11 guy in 36 minutes!
abeer3

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:00 am

He's a nice anchor defensively but he can't even catch , gather and go up with the ball to score at the rim on the other end ... ridiculous contract
wcsoldier81

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:07 am

Let's not forget he's a career sub 50% FT shooter. :man10:

Hack-a-Sik
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Frank Dux on Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:13 pm

You want a 7 footer? then you have to pay for it. Yeah, ridiculously overpaid, but i'm positive most of you have never even watched him play based on your assumptions, He was basically the most valuable backup center in the NBA, a big reason why the Bulls had a great bench, and we're a great defensive squad.

Not anymore overpaid than guys like Javale McGee, Deandre Jordan, etc, etc.
Frank Dux

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:22 pm

Congo Cash wrote:Per 36 assumes that he will increase his production with added minutes... He can't shoot FTs and he can't catch the ball, so yeah good luck with that... He is also foul-prone so he can't even stay on the floor even if you want to play him more...

Well like I said he is limited offensively like alot of centers, but he's a terrific rebounder and defender. Not sure how he'll do in Houston because they don't have a ton of offensive options, but if he was next to guys who can score the ball he'd be solid.
Last edited by Texas Lakers Fan on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby kray28 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:35 pm

I said in another thread that Morey is just too smart for his own good...point stands.
kray28

Postby Congo Cash on Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:56 pm

abeer3 wrote:good job by the bulls not to overpay, and good save on picking up nazr mohammed at 1/25th the cost. i mean, for his career, he's 6.6/5.2 in 17mpg, that's a 14/11 guy in 36 minutes!

This...

There are other centers who is way cheaper... Nazr Mohammed and Kwame Brown for starters...
Congo Cash

Next

Return to NBA Discussion