Pacers Reach Out To Mickael Pietrus

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:50 pm

Mickael Pietrus Open To Return To Celtics, Will Not Play For Veteran Minimum

By Ben Rohrbach

Mickael Pietrus‘ days in a Celtics uniform may be numbered.

Pietrus is “still open to a return,” according to his agent Bill McCandless, but the 30-year-old free agent swingman will not play for the NBA’s veteran minimum salary — which, after his nine years in the league, is $1.23 million.

“MP will not play for the veteran’s minimum. Period,” said McCandless. “It’s not happening. That’s the beginning, middle and end of that. … He is not a veteran’s minimum player. There’s no chance he’ll ever sign for that.”

That leaves the $1.96 million bi-annual exception as the C’s only option, but that may not be enough. While Pietrus signed for the $1.22 million minimum after being waived by the Suns in December, the French-speaking Guadeloupean has “a standing offer triple that overseas,” his agent said. They’ve also engaged in serious talks with several NBA teams, including one Monday, “and the money was much more than the veteran minimum.”

“I’ve had the veteran minimum thrown at me like hubcaps,” added McCandless. “In this collective bargaining agreement, a component of any player’s wishes and desires is the money teams are willing to pay. They’re pro athletes. My mother might cry in her beer when Johnny Damon runs away to the Yankees, but you and I understand it’s a business.”

Of course, the Celtics may not be willing to offer their bi-annual exception to Pietrus, who would likely fall behind Paul Pierce and Jeff Green at small forward as well as Avery Bradley, Courtney Lee and Jason Terry at shooting guard on the depth chart. Pietrus has also undergone surgical procedures on his right knee each of the past two summers.

“[Celtics president] Danny [Ainge] has done his job,” said McCandless. “He’s going to assemble the team he wants to, and he’s done a good job. My job is to do the best thing I can for my client. …

“I really like [Celtics assistant general manager] Mike Zarren. He’s very bright. He and Danny, wading through some very complicated rules, have done an outstanding job.”

Still, Pietrus averaged 6.9 points (38.5 FG%, 33.5 3P%, 64.5 FT%) and 3.1 rebounds in 21.9 minutes over 42 games for the Celtics. The 6-foot-6, 215-pound wing has averaged 8.4 points (42.7 FG%, 35.7 3P%, 66.5 FT%) for his career. While his numbers dipped to just 3.5 points (32.9 FG%, 22.2 3P%, 56.3 FT%) and 2.1 boards in the playoffs, his defense against the likes of Joe Johnson, Evan Turner and LeBron James proved valuable.

The return of Pietrus would only further solidify the C’s revamped depth at the 1-2-3 positions. While he expressed his love for both Kevin Garnett and the Celtics tradition at various points throughout last season, for anybody expecting Pietrus to take a hometown discount to remain in Boston, don’t hold your breath.

“He’s looking for a team that likes him and respects what he does,” his agent said. “If he ends up on a championship or playoff contender, that’ll take care of itself. … He’s still open to a return. He loved Boston. Everybody knows that. But we’re all big boys, and this is a big boy business.”

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/bost ... um-player/
Last edited by Kobe8Fan on Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kobe8Fan

Re: Bucks Pursuing Mickael Pietrus To Fill Wing Position

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:52 pm

Bucks Pursuing Mickael Pietrus To Fill Wing Position

The Bucks are interested in signing Mickael Pietrus to add depth to their small forward position.

Pietrus’ agent, Bill McCandless, confirmed he and Bucks general manager John Hammond have had exploratory talks.

“We talked about 10 to 14 days ago,” McCandless said. “We’re waiting to see what happens. Mickael would be interested in playing for Milwaukee, absolutely.”

http://journaltimes.com/sports/basketba ... 963f4.html
Kobe8Fan

Postby JSM on Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:22 pm

Honestly, I'm surprised he's still on the market. A contender will pick him up or Boston will bring him back, more than likely. Pietrus makes a lot of sense on a Skiles coached team, just don't see him wanting to go from a contender to a (maybe) playoff team.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:26 pm

Seems like the guy wants money and is leveraging. How much can he get out of Boston?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:31 pm

edit,
Last edited by Finwë on Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby JSM on Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:38 pm

therealdeal wrote:Seems like the guy wants money and is leveraging. How much can he get out of Boston?

Most they can pony up is the BAE, but his agent is seeking a lot more than that, it sounds. If he wants coin, he should call up Cleveland or Houston, they're the two teams with the most cash left. But if NY got Brewer for the minimum, I don't see anyone throwing big bucks at Pietrus.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:09 pm

JSM wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Seems like the guy wants money and is leveraging. How much can he get out of Boston?

Most they can pony up is the BAE, but his agent is seeking a lot more than that, it sounds. If he wants coin, he should call up Cleveland or Houston, they're the two teams with the most cash left. But if NY got Brewer for the minimum, I don't see anyone throwing big bucks at Pietrus.

Is he that much better than Delfino at this point in his career? I'm not sure what the draw of Pietrus is to be honest. He's not a great shooter, he's an alright athlete, and he's an alright defender. He doesn't really deserve a whole lot of money. He really is a minimum type guy at this point.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Congo Cash on Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:37 pm

He is delusional if he thinks he deserves more money, but then again most owners are retarded...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby XXIV on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:48 am

therealdeal wrote:
JSM wrote:

Is he that much better than Delfino at this point in his career? I'm not sure what the draw of Pietrus is to be honest. He's not a great shooter, he's an alright athlete, and he's an alright defender. He doesn't really deserve a whole lot of money. He really is a minimum type guy at this point.

That's basically the best description of Pietrus. He's not great at any one thing, but he's decent in everything. I feel he's worth more than the minimum, but not by much.
XXIV

Postby therealdeal on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:41 am

^ Well the minimum for him is somewhere near 1.22 million and I think that's about the right price for him, maybe a bit more so perhaps you're right.

I'm surprised they're looking at him though. They had/have Delfino. Does Delfino not want to come back? Why are they not just re-signing him?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:48 am

Congo Cash wrote:He is delusional if he thinks he deserves more money, but then again most owners are retarded...
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Kobe8Fan on Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:45 am

Mike Wells ‏@MikeWellsNBA

The Pacers have already reached out to the agent of free agent swingman Mickael Pietrus as a possible replacement in the lineup

https://twitter.com/MikeWellsNBA/status ... 0938699779
Kobe8Fan

Re: Pacers Reach Out To Mickael Pietrus

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:56 am

fantasy note taken
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby FabFourLakers on Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:05 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:fantasy note taken

I was thinking the same thing....but I'm guessing Pietrus/Green will split minutes at the 3, and Paul George will also operate at the 3 spot. I thought George would have a bigger role in the offense with Granger out, but that doesn't seem to be the case so far. We'll see though. Now that they know how long he's out for....maybe the expectations for George will change and he'll start producing numbers that resemble Granger's numbers.
FabFourLakers

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:58 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:
pound4pound1 wrote:fantasy note taken

I was thinking the same thing....but I'm guessing Pietrus/Green will split minutes at the 3, and Paul George will also operate at the 3 spot. I thought George would have a bigger role in the offense with Granger out, but that doesn't seem to be the case so far. We'll see though. Now that they know how long he's out for....maybe the expectations for George will change and he'll start producing numbers that resemble Granger's numbers.

George's rebounding numbers are just insane...did not expect him to be averaging 10rebs per game
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby GoldenChocobo on Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:45 pm

Is he interested in the Lakers as a backup C?
GoldenChocobo

Postby therealdeal on Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:56 pm

George Hill has been trying to carry the team. I know, he's on my fantasy team :man1:

But I think they NEED to get Paul George involved. He's supposed to be their next Granger. Well here's his chance to prove it.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Return to NBA Discussion