Participants in the Sprite Rising Stars Slam Dunk (Official)

Participants in the Sprite Rising Stars Slam Dunk (Official)

Postby JSM on Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:32 pm

Ok guys, they have announced 4 guys and it looks like that's going to be it.

J-Rich
Chris Anderson
Ricky Davis
Fred Jones
Last edited by JSM on Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:34 pm

I will post a link when it becomes official, but here is one for Davs, which means they are throwing out the rule, which means Stern will let Mason join.
Boston Globe: The Celtics should have two representatives at the All-Star festivities with the NBA slated to announce today that Davis has been invited to the slam-dunk contest. Pierce was named a reserve last week
JSM

Postby rydjorker121 on Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:44 pm

thank god that they threw out the rule...I guess that this year's crew was sorta pathetic in dunking so they couldn't cash in the young'uns to do all of the festivities' dirty work...glad that Desmond Mason is getting reunited in the contest, but why not rope back Vince Carter, RJ and Steve Francis in if that's the case..? Get anyone in the league who has mad hops, like a vet or something...as for Ricky Davis...man, they could've picked a better choice, the guy will just lob it off the backboard and make a sick dunk--like what he did to get his triple double
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby TheZen on Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:01 pm

I just hope they dont bring back the wheel...that was the worst idea possible :mad1:
TheZen

Postby SWOL on Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:53 pm

ID LIKE TO SEE AMARE, HE WAS OFF THE HOOK IN THE HIGH SCHOOL DUNK CONTEST

AND FRED JONES OF INDIANA
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby PrimeTime on Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:15 pm

Some guy form the 2003 Dunk Contest for the NCAA wearing a green #23 jersey had some sick hops! I forgot his name! DAMN! He reached 43" Like 3 times!!! That was an insane dunk contest with John Humphrey and all!

~Out, Prime
PrimeTime

Postby PrimeTime on Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:18 pm

Dude with the 43" was Byron Parker! Dahntay Jones was also in that! He got mad hopps!
They should let Dahntay in! He is a FA I think.

~Out, Prime
Last edited by PrimeTime on Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PrimeTime

Postby TheZen on Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:21 pm

Please consider this a warning Prime. Please refrain from using profanity before action must be taken.

As for the guy with 43 hops, i saw that and was literally blown away. It shows he has some mad skills...too bad his dunks didn't give him a good enough name to where most people can remember
TheZen

Postby o0O kb8 O0o on Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:46 pm

will they just have 4 guys like last year?
o0O kb8 O0o

Postby Mookie on Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:55 pm

But if its not Desmond Mason who else. I heard that French dude, Mikael Pietrus has some serious hops.
Mookie

Postby *wishlist* on Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:29 am

anyone know what ever happened to james white. he's probably the most amazing dunker i've ever seen :man4: :man4: :man4:
What's it going to take to have the Lakers to have a team song/chant like euroleague.. teams have... I can only wish.
*wishlist*

Postby UsC/LaKeRs on Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:01 pm

James White is currently a redshirt soph playing for Bob Huggins' Cincinnatti Bearcats*
UsC/LaKeRs

Postby JSM on Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:05 pm

the participant list has been updated
JSM

Postby SWOL on Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:58 pm

WHERE????IS BRON IN IT
SWOL

Postby SWOL on Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:59 pm

OH MY BAD I DIDNT READ THE TOP IF ALL SIX GUYS ARE IN IT WILL BE THE BEST ONE SINCE VINCE WON IT IN 2000
SWOL

Postby BDG on Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:25 pm

I want to have Bron dunk so bad. I think he could beat J-Rich if he does it.

I can't wait till Hassan Adams comes to the NBA.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby JSM on Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:29 pm

Bron vs J-Rich, that would be like a MJ vs Nique...an instant classic
JSM

Postby SWOL on Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:32 pm

Feb. 10, 2004
SportsLine.com wire reports

CLEVELAND -- LeBron James plans to watch the NBA's dunk contest -- for now.

James was not among the four players the league announced Tuesday will take part in the event during All-Star weekend in Los Angeles. But the Cleveland Cavaliers' star rookie has been hinting at a possible surprise appearance.

Citing a sprained right ankle that sidelined him for three games, James recently turned down the NBA's invitation to be in the dunk contest. James could reconsider, however.

"I don't know," he said. "I'll think about it. There are a lot of people who want me to do it."

If James does decide to participate, the league would probably welcome him.

Golden State's Jason Richardson will try for a third straight dunking crown against Boston's Ricky Davis, Denver's Chris Andersen and Indiana's Fred Jones. No player has won three slam-dunk contests since the competition began in 1984.

While James remains noncommittal, there are signs that he might be ready to show his stuff.

Near the end of warmups before Monday night's game against Boston, James twice practiced a twisting, two-handed dunk that teammate Kedrick Brown couldn't match.

Also, this year's event is sponsored by Sprite, which signed James to a six-year marketing and endorsement deal in August.

James said he'll decide whether he participates.

"Ain't no pressure on me," he said. "I don't feel pressure. There are a lot of people who want me to be in it, but it's no pressure like it's a life or death situation."

James, 19, is scheduled to play in Friday's Rookie Challenge, and the dunk contest would be yet another appointment on a busy itinerary for the No. 1 draft pick, who Monday night became the youngest player in league history to score 1,000 points.

In addition to fulfilling league obligations, James has commitments with Nike, which signed him to a six-year, $90 million deal in May.

"He's got a lot on his plate," said his agent, Aaron Goodwin. "But the dunk contest will be LeBron's decision. He said no before, but if he's healthy enough, he could change his mind."

James had several big dunks in Monday night's game before straining his left calf muscle late in the third quarter. He returned in the fourth period and scored five of his 24 points in Cleveland's 97-89 win.

James was limited in practice Tuesday, but he expects to play Wednesday night against New Jersey.
SWOL

Postby *wishlist* on Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:41 pm

i think there's too many threads on this topic. can they be merged or something?

anyways, let d mase join too if he really wants to!!!! come on.. this contest has potential to be very competitive if stern let's it happen. why would you not let someone who really wants to join,not join the contest? i mean ulness you really think that person can't dunk or something. hmm can desmond mason dunk? uhhhh :man7: . do the right think stern
What's it going to take to have the Lakers to have a team song/chant like euroleague.. teams have... I can only wish.
*wishlist*

Postby *wishlist* on Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:31 am

fred jones... little guy that's always "making posters" (dunking in defenders' faces). interesting choice. i'd like to see how creative he can get at his height. but no vinsanity, lebron, or desmond? man... o well. this year could be pretty good, but it could be better. can't wait for the weekend.
*wishlist*

Postby JSM on Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:18 pm

In case you are not familiar with the contestants or with their dunking abilities, here are a few pics of each of them in action and their info.

J-Rich (Jason Richardson)
Position: G-F
Height: 6-6
Weight: 225 lbs.

Fred Jones
Position: G
Height: 6-2
Weight: 218 lbs.

Ricky Davis
Position: G
Height: 6-7
Weight: 195 lbs.

Mr. Anderson (Chris Anderson)
Position: F-C
Height: 6-10
Weight: 220 lbs.

JSM

Postby shaqpak34 on Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:50 pm

i think ricky d can dethrone j rich

i have a feeling he hassomething up his sleeve

u guys rememebr the contesst wit vc nd tmca?

he did some crazy shiz in that
shaqpak34

Postby JSM on Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:00 pm

but J-Rich has been the champ for 2 straight years and he will be looking to make this his 3rd, I don't think he would go easily. I am still predicting J-Rich will win it.

First to be eliminated-Anderson
2nd to be eliminated-Freddy
Finalists-J-Rich and Ricky
Winner-J-Rich
JSM

Postby PrimeTime on Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:15 pm

jsm0331 wrote:but J-Rich has been the champ for 2 straight years and he will be looking to make this his 3rd, I don't think he would go easily. I am still predicting J-Rich will win it.

First to be eliminated-Anderson
2nd to be eliminated-Freddy
Finalists-J-Rich and Ricky
Winner-J-Rich

Yea... Andersen shouldn't be there though. I rather see Amare or some other big man than him. He just has hard dunks and sick putbacks (Not really creative and that's what it's all about right?) YES

~Out, Prime
PrimeTime

Return to NBA Discussion