Pat Riley: LeBron James Is The Best Of Any Player In History

Re: Pat Riley: LeBron James Is The Best Of Any Player In History

Postby JSM on Tue May 07, 2013 5:36 pm

He must be smoking the good stuff down in Miami. That's the only explanation.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Tue May 07, 2013 6:36 pm

LeBron's already been in the league about a decade, with heavy minutes and deep playoff runs. It will have an impact on his body. I'll put my money on his feet being the weak link: plantar fascia problems, maybe a fractured foot. 260 lbs thumping around with all that force? Besides, he's not graceful on his feet. He runs like a duck on steroids.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby JSM on Tue May 07, 2013 6:38 pm

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:Besides, he's not graceful on his feet. He runs like a duck on steroids.

Looks about right

JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Johnnyboy on Tue May 07, 2013 7:56 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:I wish I was as confident about LeBron's physical" imposingness" fading off in as few more years as most other people seem to be. What happens when he gets smart and adjusts and drops 20lbs. Piece of cake, he'll only be athletic at that point and still 240lbs to get where he wants to go.

I'm not sure if you have played sports for many years, but that's not how it works. Your body starts to give out. It's not about how much you weigh. You can't just loose weight and magically become athletic again. I do partially agree with you though. If he does shed weight it will help him a bit. He will be very good for a LONG time. But no way in hell he will be like this after 5-6 years. Father time spares nobody.
Johnnyboy

Postby Lakerjones on Tue May 07, 2013 9:46 pm

Why stop with the hyperbole there Pat? Why not just say that Lebron James is the greatest athlete of all time. Bow down to the king . . .

Yeah, Riley is definitely blowing smoke up Lebron's butt for the re-signing. You really think Pat believes that drivel? :disagree:
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Thu May 09, 2013 5:04 am

Weezy wrote:>> Lebron's great, but come on, best ever at his age, with one title so far? <<

And, leave us not forget, he had to join forces with Wade and Bosh in order to get that title.
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby JGC on Thu May 09, 2013 8:08 am

Well, that's not entirely fair. Kobe played alongside Shaq. Doesn't, IMO, downplay ANY of his titles. A title is a title.

I do think Lebron certainly could be among the greatest ever. The guy is literally unstoppable. But he better win a lot more titles and quickly if that claim is going to hold any water.
JGC

Postby Avenged24 on Thu May 09, 2013 8:38 am

He is up there but he's already lost 2 finals for me to consider him the best. If anyone is ever topping MJ, that alone disqualifies Lebron in my book. There is nothing wrong with at least being in the discussion though because whether Riley is right or wrong, Lebron is already one of the better players ever.
Avenged24

Postby nameant on Thu May 09, 2013 8:44 am

Mr_Hollywood_Line wrote:
Weezy wrote:>> Lebron's great, but come on, best ever at his age, with one title so far? <<

And, leave us not forget, he had to join forces with Wade and Bosh in order to get that title.

This seems to be so overlooked now. I remember when he first did it most ppl were like "Oh he has to get at least 4-5 titles" now. Turns out he only needed 1 for everybody to forget what a chump move he pulled.
nameant

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu May 09, 2013 9:37 am

Damn, slap to the face for the Magic man? Really Pat? :disagree:
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu May 09, 2013 11:56 pm

nameant wrote:
Mr_Hollywood_Line wrote:

This seems to be so overlooked now. I remember when he first did it most ppl were like "Oh he has to get at least 4-5 titles" now. Turns out he only needed 1 for everybody to forget what a chump move he pulled.

I honestly think that is the ESPN-effect. They went out of their way to promote Lebron. Fans are as fickle as they come and in all honesty most are gonna buy into whatever the "experts" say. The media began laying off him halfway through the first season with the Heat. Then they started promoting the hell out of him again. Think about how many Lebron conversations they had daily on the major sports shows. Even when the Heat weren't playing they would somehow bring Lebron into the conversation. It is marketing and they remade his image quickly. The hardly say anything bad about the guy and now the fans rah rah rah right along with it.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Fri May 10, 2013 12:10 am

time to retire his number league wide
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri May 10, 2013 12:12 am

^In all the major sports. I have heard he is the greatest athlete ever too.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby JGC on Fri May 10, 2013 10:26 am

nameant wrote:
Mr_Hollywood_Line wrote:

Well, the chump move has little to do with what he does on the court.

Having said that, he has to win a lot more before I will personally put him in a GOAT conversation. He hasn't even had a better career than Kobe and it's not even close.

Also, I don't think "everybody" is saying this. Only Riley is saying it. No one else is saying he is the best player in the history of the game so let's not make it seem like that's happening. He may be the best player right now in the game, but, that doesn't mean anything until he wins more.
JGC

Postby pound4pound1 on Fri May 10, 2013 10:29 am

CaCHooKa Man wrote:time to retire his number league wide

they need to change it from the Larry O'Brien to the Lebron All Mighty trophy
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby CGrand81 on Fri May 10, 2013 7:10 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:
CaCHooKa Man wrote:time to retire his number league wide

they need to change it from the Larry O'Brien to the Lebron All Mighty trophy

Not his fault no one can match his play. We will see if Durant can make the next step as a greater play maker and defender next year, those will be the top 2 MVP candidates next year IMO.
CGrand81

Postby dmaul on Fri May 10, 2013 7:39 pm

He's a great player no doubt. But it's unfair to him and everyone else in history to make those kind of proclamations. If you were to stop his career right now, he's not better than Jordan. He would definitely be in the top 3 best all around players ever, but he's lacking in the championship and clutch in big game departments. Magic won one as a rookie and that'll be one of the hardest feats to duplicate. Jordan went 6 for 6. Even Kobe was 3 out of 4 and played big in big games by LeBron's current age.

Until last year's Finals LeBron had a history of choking and/or shying away from big moments for many finals and elimination games. In my mind, that will always be a blemish on his record unless he wins more titles than Jordan and looks fearless in all of them.
dmaul

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Sat May 11, 2013 3:35 am

JGC wrote:Well, that's not entirely fair. Kobe played alongside Shaq.

Totally different situation.

Kobe didn't leave some other team in order to join forces with Shaq in pursuit of a ring.

Just sayin.'
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby JGC on Sat May 11, 2013 8:28 am

Mr_Hollywood_Line wrote:
JGC wrote:Well, that's not entirely fair. Kobe played alongside Shaq.

Totally different situation.

Kobe didn't leave some other team in order to join forces with Shaq in pursuit of a ring.

Just sayin.'

Personally, I don't get the knock on Lebron for that. Would it be different if he recruited players to come play with him in Cleveland? Would it then be "oh, he had to join forces in Cleveland by recruiting so and so in pursuit of a ring"? He gave them 7 seasons and they never made the major roster changes needed and so he moved on. It's not like he was some role player in Miami either. He's the man there.

I mean people can say "oh, the Lakers had to bring in a big man in order for Kobe to win in LA" but that doesn't knock any of Kobe's rings for me. You have to have good teammates around you in order to win. Nobody wins by themselves. Not Kobe. Not Lebron. Not Jordan.

I do think though, "The Decision" was in poor, poor taste. Probably the worst off-the-court incident Lebron has been involved in. But the actual decision to go? Made total sense. Those guys are great complementary pieces for Lebron IMO so it was a good basketball move, not a bad one.
JGC

Postby strikemode14 on Tue May 14, 2013 7:59 pm

So I wonder how much bron gave him to say that lol.

Seriously up to a few seasons ago he wasn't even the best player in the league.
Strikemode14 is the greatest.

http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou

]
strikemode14
Forum Manager

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Tue May 14, 2013 11:58 pm

I don't consider LeBron to be diminished because of his early choking. Remember Tragic Johnson??

But teaming up with two other stars, one who was at the time the second best shooting guard in the league, marrs his legacy. What bothered Jordan and Magic when it happened was that Wade was a RIVAL, and instead of beating him he joined him.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Forward Three on Wed May 15, 2013 2:20 am

I'm not about to give Lebron a pass for teaming up with two of the best players in the league. I don't think you can really compare it to Kobe and Pau at all when really there is a not-terrible argument to be made that Bosh is better than Pau on his own, let alone Bosh + Wade. They certainly each have the ability to go off and carry a team. As well, in Kobe's case, you had a struggling Lakers team held together by duct tape and 60 point games struggling to even make the playoffs because the roster was so messed up, Kobe demanded out, he whined, he huffed and puffed... and then he stayed. It might not seem like a big deal to you, but if you're going to compare that to Lebron, I think it is very important. He stayed, adjustments were made, and guys like Sasha and Ariza and Shannon Brown and Adam Morrison win a championship. Lebron had the league's best record, franchise record for games won, a deep roster of players who were by no means less impressive than Sasha, Ariza, Brown..etc. and he came off of THAT to team up with franchise guys in their primes?

And then you watch the way Lebron plays now. It's like he couldn't even care less. He knows that he can slack off and half-[Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] all day long and Wade and Bosh(and Ray Allen and Battier and Chalmers) will still win the game for him or at least keep it to the point where he can casually score a basket or two if he feels like it. He's put himself in the least pressure situation possible, and sure, maybe that's just The Biz or whatever, maybe it's the most logical way to win championships, but it is kind of a big eff you to a major reason why sports are exciting and entertaining in the first place.

To me, we have Lebron being a great player, a bit stat obsessed, but great, who has a bit of a track record of being shaky in pressure situations and a bit of a track record of being shaky in clutch situations, unable to take a stacked and highly effective Cleveland team to a championship, deciding instead to build an even more stacked team specifically built in such a way that minimizes the amount of work he'll have to do most of the game and especially in clutch or pressure situations now that he has so many bonafide shooters and players who can create offense. It's a chump move and I'm not about to just say "ah, it's okay because look at his fg%!" or whatever. His efficiency is a direct result of his team being so ridiculously good, for all the talk of only taking the shots he wants to take. THAT IS A MAJOR LUXURY afforded by having teammates who can create offense and hit shots reliably. What other team has any player in that position?

Ah well, as Lebron would say... it's just a game.
Forward Three

Postby Forward Three on Wed May 15, 2013 2:20 am

I'm not about to give Lebron a pass for teaming up with two of the best players in the league. I don't think you can really compare it to Kobe and Pau at all when really there is a not-terrible argument to be made that Bosh is better than Pau on his own, let alone Bosh + Wade. They certainly each have the ability to go off and carry a team. As well, in Kobe's case, you had a struggling Lakers team held together by duct tape and 60 point games struggling to even make the playoffs because the roster was so messed up, Kobe demanded out, he whined, he huffed and puffed... and then he stayed. It might not seem like a big deal to you, but if you're going to compare that to Lebron, I think it is very important. He stayed, adjustments were made, and guys like Sasha and Ariza and Shannon Brown and Adam Morrison win a championship. Lebron had the league's best record, franchise record for games won, a deep roster of players who were by no means less impressive than Sasha, Ariza, Brown..etc. and he came off of THAT to team up with franchise guys in their primes?

And then you watch the way Lebron plays now. It's like he couldn't even care less. He knows that he can slack off and half-[Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] all day long and Wade and Bosh(and Ray Allen and Battier and Chalmers) will still win the game for him or at least keep it to the point where he can casually score a basket or two if he feels like it. He's put himself in the least pressure situation possible, and sure, maybe that's just The Biz or whatever, maybe it's the most logical way to win championships, but it is kind of a big eff you to a major reason why sports are exciting and entertaining in the first place.

To me, we have Lebron being a great player, a bit stat obsessed, but great, who has a bit of a track record of being shaky in pressure situations and a bit of a track record of being shaky in clutch situations, unable to take a stacked and highly effective Cleveland team to a championship, deciding instead to build an even more stacked team specifically built in such a way that minimizes the amount of work he'll have to do most of the game and especially in clutch or pressure situations now that he has so many bonafide shooters and players who can create offense. It's a chump move and I'm not about to just say "ah, it's okay because look at his fg%!" or whatever. His efficiency is a direct result of his team being so ridiculously good, for all the talk of only taking the shots he wants to take. THAT IS A MAJOR LUXURY afforded by having teammates who can create offense and hit shots reliably. What other team has any player in that position?

Ah well, as Lebron would say... it's just a game.
Forward Three

Previous

Return to NBA Discussion