Pat Riley: LeBron James Is The Best Of Any Player In History

Pat Riley: LeBron James Is The Best Of Any Player In History

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sun May 05, 2013 8:20 pm

"All the players I have observed, watched, and seen... over 47 years of my experience... somewhere they always got better as their career advanced. I think the man we are looking at here (LeBron) is the best of all of them."

Check out the clip of the interview here...

http://video.ca.msn.com/watch/video/pat ... /2jvw9gihj

LeBron is a great player. A dominant player. But I don't think he's better than Mike, Riles.
Kobe8Fan

Re: Pat Riley: LeBron James Is The Best Of Any Player In History

Postby Weezy on Sun May 05, 2013 8:30 pm

I think that's kind of a slap at guys like Magic and MJ. 5 titles for Magic, 6 for MJ. Lebron's great, but come on, best ever at his age, with one title so far? Why not let him finish his career before you make final judgement? Wait to see if his athleticism declining hurts his game, wait to see if he remains clutch in the big series', just wait period.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Sun May 05, 2013 8:30 pm

He's amazing to watch but I disagree.
Jazzygirl205

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sun May 05, 2013 8:55 pm

Riles just wants LeBron to stay long-term with Miami.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby CGrand81 on Sun May 05, 2013 8:56 pm

Yea maybe once his career is over this may be true, but to say this now is overboard.

I was born in 1990 and LeBorn is the second best player I've seen since then, he has nothing on MJ, but lets let him finish his career before we start ranking him.
CGrand81

Postby John3:16 on Sun May 05, 2013 9:02 pm

I never thought I'd be able to pinpoint the exact moment Riley went senile. I was wrong.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Sun May 05, 2013 9:13 pm

...all that mousse seeped into his brain and shortcircuited the synapses.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby D.B. Cooper on Sun May 05, 2013 10:16 pm

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:Riles just wants LeBron to stay long-term with Miami.
D.B. Cooper

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon May 06, 2013 12:21 am

Well lets face it. All the talk, all the praise, all the MVP's and the specials have all brought us to the point were someone was going to say it. Now that Pat has said it the discussion will open up and then all the ESPN pundits will start to chime in until the fans believe it to be so. Then LBJ will be the GOAT in the history of sports ever. He already is supposedly the most gifted athlete ever by some even though I think a unknown guy named Bo Jackson may have something to say about that but eh.....

Go Pat be the trend setter :jam2:
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby 432J on Mon May 06, 2013 12:39 am

i think when it's all said and done, lebron will have passed MJ in terms of accomplishments and greatness. let's not forget he's only 27 so my guess is that barring a freak injury, he has at least 7-8 seasons in him where he'll be playing similarly to how he is now. the guy is just a physical beast

but right now i don't think it's fair to say that he's better than mj or magic
432J

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Mon May 06, 2013 1:11 am

Kobe and Shaq had the same delusions about their careers when they were winning. It takes lots of things to go right to bring the right team together, and then more things to go right during the playoff runs. LeBron has the talent to to win one every year, just like Kobe did in his prime. But it doesn't mean that he will. Wade is already breaking down, and this is their (potentially) third trip to the finals. Look at how the Lakers ran out of steam after three runs to the finals, in '03 and in '11. And that was with Phil, the prime motivator. Do you really think that Spoels can motivate his team for another year after this, and manage minutes so that the vets don't break down?

LeBron is great, but like everyone else, there are too many things outside of his control that determine the overall arc of his career.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Frank Dux on Mon May 06, 2013 1:40 am

Michael Jordan- 6 NBA championships in 6 appearances.

Lebron James- 1 NBA championship in 3 appearances.

What were you saying again, Pat?
Last edited by Frank Dux on Mon May 06, 2013 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Dux

Postby juninho on Mon May 06, 2013 2:47 am

Lol don't take riley seriously. Once he said " wade is then best player i have ever coached" . Riley doesn't care about past at all, he is all now and future. He knows there is a danger in 2014 so he tries his best.
juninho

Postby TIME on Mon May 06, 2013 9:45 am

John3:16 wrote:I never thought I'd be able to pinpoint the exact moment Riley went senile. I was wrong.

gcclaker wrote:...all that mousse seeped into his brain and shortcircuited the synapses.

:man10: :man10: :man10:

These
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Juronimo on Mon May 06, 2013 11:47 am

Riles is being a company man here. That's all. He wants Lebron to reup when his contract expires.
RIP Nelson Mandela
July 18, 1918 - December 5, 2013
Juronimo

Postby Finwë on Mon May 06, 2013 11:55 am

juninho wrote:Lol don't take riley seriously. Once he said " wade is then best player i have ever coached" . Riley doesn't care about past at all, he is all now and future. He knows there is a danger in 2014 so he tries his best.

exactly
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby escobar8 on Mon May 06, 2013 3:13 pm

pat go home you are drunk...
escobar8

Postby karacha on Mon May 06, 2013 4:13 pm

Better then Mike. Better then Kareem, Wilt...

Yeah, alright.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Mon May 06, 2013 4:33 pm

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:Riles just wants LeBron to stay long-term with Miami.

yup...free agency looms...Riles doesn't want the party to end...even if it means lying thru his teeth, he's gonna do everything he can to keep him in Miami
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby gcclaker on Mon May 06, 2013 4:54 pm

...seriously I did read Bird stating that James could be the best ever after all is and said and done. What I am intrigued by is how he adjusts once that freakish athleticism slows him down. Does his work ethic even approaches the same zip code as Bryant's for him to maintain what skills he has now during that eventual decline?
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Mon May 06, 2013 4:55 pm

gcclaker wrote:...seriously I did read Bird stating that James could be the best ever after all is and said and done. What I am intrigued by is how he adjusts once that freakish athleticism slows him down. Does his work ethic even approaches the same zip code as Bryant's for him to maintain what skills he has now during that eventual decline?

agreed...he's been playing at high level for what? 9 years now? let's see him carry that into his 14-15th year and let's see how he adds to his game once he slows down
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon May 06, 2013 7:06 pm

Quoting one of our own,

"Seriously guy the unanimous MVP with a clutch airball, this is fantastic."

noobiew
LTLakerFan

Postby Johnnyboy on Mon May 06, 2013 11:52 pm

432J wrote:i think when it's all said and done, lebron will have passed MJ in terms of accomplishments and greatness. let's not forget he's only 27 so my guess is that barring a freak injury, he has at least 7-8 seasons in him where he'll be playing similarly to how he is now. the guy is just a physical beast

but right now i don't think it's fair to say that he's better than mj or magic

Lebron will never pass MJ in greatness simply because MJ's will to win is unmatched by everyone not named Kobe. Lebron is 28 years old. If history holds true, he's got about 4 more years of prime. He may be very good for 8 years but he won't be doing what he's doing now in 5 or 6 years. No way. Kobe aged well because of his foot work and fundamentals. Lebron is physically imposing. That will fade. Lebron will be an all time great, maybe even top 3, but he's FAR from that right now.
Johnnyboy

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue May 07, 2013 12:02 am

I wish I was as confident about LeBron's physical" imposingness" fading off in as few more years as most other people seem to be. What happens when he gets smart and adjusts and drops 20lbs. Piece of cake, he'll only be athletic at that point and still 240lbs to get where he wants to go.
LTLakerFan

Postby Chillbongo on Tue May 07, 2013 1:57 pm

432J wrote:i think when it's all said and done, lebron will have passed MJ in terms of accomplishments and greatness. let's not forget he's only 27 so my guess is that barring a freak injury, he has at least 7-8 seasons in him where he'll be playing similarly to how he is now. the guy is just a physical beast

but right now i don't think it's fair to say that he's better than kobe mj or magic

fixed and That's a pretty big "think"
Chillbongo

Next

Return to NBA Discussion