Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Discussion: still on the trading block (375)

Postby SK8 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:54 pm

For such a smart guy, i don't understand what the hell are you doing shooting threes and long 2's, i just don't understand why is so hard to get down there and dominate, especially when guy like Spliter is guarding you :man8:
i'm done with Pau, i'm so pissed i don't even know why i even give a F about this guy, it's obvious that he will not get back down and play like old himself.
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby sister golden hair on Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:15 pm

Uncle Drew wrote:For such a smart guy, i don't understand what the hell are you doing shooting threes and long 2's, i just don't understand why is so hard to get down there and dominate, especially when guy like Spliter is guarding you :man8:
i'm done with Pau, i'm so pissed i don't even know why i even give a F about this guy, it's obvious that he will not get back down and play like old himself.

Great player, but maybe his time as a competitor has come and gone. Deems to shy away from any kind of contact these days, even against mediocre defenders.
sister golden hair

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:18 pm

19 million dollars for the most "skilled big in the league" to take 14 jumpers outside the paint and only 3 shots in the paint.

Just pathetic.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby karacha on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:20 pm

Overall, a decent game for Pau, but.... get in the post. You said you wanted to get the ball in the post, yet you shoot jumpers. I don't get it.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby lotus on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:25 pm

If he were on the spurs he would probably dominate the center postion because pop could get him to. On this Lakers team, he's working on his guard skills because mda seems to want him to be a 7 foot guard. 20 footers all night long, thanks Pau.
lotus

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:29 pm

karacha wrote:Overall, a decent game for Pau, but.... get in the post. You said you wanted to get the ball in the post, yet you shoot jumpers. I don't get it.

Agreed completely. No excuse for his allergy to the paint. :disagree:
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:31 pm

lotus wrote:If he were on the spurs he would probably dominate the center postion because pop could get him to. On this Lakers team, he's working on his guard skills because mda seems to want him to be a 7 foot guard. 20 footers all night long, thanks Pau.

Could be true, but even though I am down on MDA for a lot of things, I really put this one squarely on Pau. He had every opportunity to get in the post on his own tonight. But he did not. The few times he did were mainly very successful, but it was so rare.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:33 pm

just cancelled my free league pass :man10: I'm not paying to see this idiot join his teammates shooting from the outside.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby gcclaker on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:34 pm

Gasol does not have the agility any more to spin off defenders so he can shoot those hooks with both hands or a quick drop step. When he backs down his defender, it looks plodding and slow. Old age and attrition...
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Scnottaken on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:36 pm

I did see, at least sometimes, he has to come out of the post to set a screen. He's too slow to get back in the post once he's set the screen before the defense corrects, so he has to take the shot where he is. I wonder if I'm completely off on that assessment.
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:37 pm

gcclaker wrote:Gasol does not have the agility any more to spin off defenders so he can shoot those hooks with both hands or a quick drop step. When he backs down his defender, it looks plodding and slow. Old age and attrition...

But he had a great move on the block against Splitter. To me it's not as much that he doesn't have the skill/agility as he doesn't have the desire to go down there and go to work.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby sister golden hair on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:37 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
lotus wrote:If he were on the spurs he would probably dominate the center postion because pop could get him to. On this Lakers team, he's working on his guard skills because mda seems to want him to be a 7 foot guard. 20 footers all night long, thanks Pau.

Could be true, but even though I am down on MDA for a lot of things, I really put this one squarely on Pau. He had every opportunity to get in the post on his own tonight. But he did not. The few times he did were mainly very successful, but it was so rare.

I'm down on him, too. But he's getting the ball at the elbow extended. That comes from the system, not the player.

MDA ball is horrific to watch when you lack consistent shooting, and don't have the defenders to at least get you easy run-outs now and then.
sister golden hair

Postby XXIV on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:54 pm

I never want to see him shoot a three, he's the most skilled big man in the game and should get his butt in the post.
XXIV

Postby Ras Algethi on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:27 pm

He just has to get his arse on the block, get position and call for the ball. Most of the time he's getting the ball is on a pick and roll (or more specfiically pick and pop), he catches the ball on the elbow after setting a screen.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:30 pm

It's either:

A. Pau doesn't want to post up because he's allergic to physical contact.

B. Antoni wants him to shoot those J's.

C. A combination of A & B.
borri

Postby gcclaker on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:33 pm

Ras Algethi wrote:He just has to get his arse on the block, get position and call for the ball. Most of the time he's getting the ball is on a pick and roll (or more specfiically pick and pop), he catches the ball on the elbow after setting a screen.

There was a couple of instances where Gasol did just that and the passes into him were off target ending in turnovers. You know...the dreaded can't throw it into the post problem. Our guards seem to over dribble too. Blake and Farmar...though the latter can at least take it to the cup. On that subject, Nash I trust more even if he is ineffective at this juncture.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:35 pm

borri wrote:It's either:

D. Gasol is decrepitly slow now and can't do A so he does B.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:37 pm

gcclaker wrote:
borri wrote:It's either:

D. Gasol is decrepitly slow now and can't do A so he does B.

E. All of the above.
borri

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:43 pm

Same talk since May 2011 .....
wcsoldier81

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:35 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:Same talk since May 2011 .....

Hahaha I know... we keep giving this clown chances and he keeps being a little cat...
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby MC on Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:47 am

Lakerjones wrote:

Could be true? lol .......

Look at every big in the HISTORY of MDA ball...... could be true?

Pau has some part in this BUT it is not the majority his fault........ MDA hates having people clog the post.... has said NUMEROUS times that post play is inefficient and it could be true?

Coaches generally ask players to work on curtain parts of their game in the offseason...... do you think MDA is giving Pau a book on "Post Play For Dummies" to read up on based on his overall philosophy?

Pau is shot in the post because he simply does not focus on it........ that becomes a killer for a big as you age.....that is when you must work on it MORE to perfect your footwork and ability to create the space needed as your agility and athleticism fade............. The last 4 years now have been counter intuitive to that VERY fact........... Jim Buss has destroyed this guy with his Bynum failure, the Howard + MDA bomb and now just MDA train wreck.......

It is true that Pau was never a willing back to the basket big....Jackson himself struggled to get Pau to be aggressive enough to be effective down there...........but now that you have a coach that doesn't believe in post play in the first place you have ZERO chance of convincing a player that is the best place for him at this point in his career................ that has train wreck written all over it when your coach does NOT at least try and do what's best for the player to make him efficient.....

Young Pau would have been brilliant in this offense when he had the agility to face up.........now that he is older he must be more traditional......which is the anti-MDA big............ that is a HUGE disconnect..... and I DO blame that on coaching for trying to "will" something that can't work.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby Manve77 on Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:10 am

Under MDA Pau is playing a stretch five :man10:
Spartak Moscow. Lakers. Penguins. Liverpool. Lazio. Barcelona. River Plate.
Manve77

Postby kenzo on Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:22 am

Get your anus in the paint...
kenzo

Postby flea_lakers on Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:45 am

I didn't watch this game, but a 20/11/2 in 29 minutes with decent percentages and Spurs scoring little points in the paint don't seems amerit so much bashing like I'm reading here, specially for a guy who can't work in summer at all.
flea_lakers

Postby Manve77 on Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:34 am

flea_lakers wrote:I didn't watch this game, but a 20/11/2 in 29 minutes with decent percentages and Spurs scoring little points in the paint don't seems amerit so much bashing like I'm reading here, specially for a guy who can't work in summer at all.

Spurs were missing badly in the paint. Missed a lot of lay-ups and tip-ins. That's why it was a winnable game. If Pau could use the paint to post up, drive and score inside, we would have won the game in the 3rd. But he was reluctant to go in, preferring to hang out at the perimeter, shooting 3s and long jumpers.
Yes, his numbers look decent: The first basket was a triple. Then long jumpers with only one lay-up and one one driving lay-up. Then he scored a dunk when the game was lost already. He didn't even try the hook shot this time. Splitter was hardly a defensive threat today and Gasol didn't try to use TD's absence and dominate the paint.
Without Kobe out there, he should average at least 22/12/4 on the regular basis. This game with Splitter as a match-up, he could have score 30+ easily.
He's just lazy. :man8:
Spartak Moscow. Lakers. Penguins. Liverpool. Lazio. Barcelona. River Plate.
Manve77

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion