Paul George Working To Perfect Mid Range Game

Paul George Working To Perfect Mid Range Game

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:03 pm

Paul George is working to develop an in-between game that could complement his ability to shoot from range and score around the rim.

Last season, George shot 34.5 percent from 10-15 feet and 37 percent from 16-23 feet.

"I am working on my midrange game," George said, while overseeing his third annual Summer Skills camp in Los Angeles. "I have to work on isolation, attacking from the elbow and always conditioning."

George has drawn motivation from losing Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals to the Heat.

"We learned our lesson," George said. "We have to be beasts. We understand how to get it done, now. It's all about experience. Most of our team, it was the first time in the conference finals. We just needed to do a couple things different."

http://www.dailynews.com/prepsportsdn/c ... source=rss
Kobe8Fan

Re: Paul George Working To Perfect Mid Range Game

Postby abeer3 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:37 am

NO! doesn't he realize that the most efficient players only dunk or shoot threes? USE THE NUMBERZ!

seriously, though, good idea. if you're going to be a superstar in this league, you have to learn to master this inefficient area on the floor, as it's the only place good defense can't stop you from operating. else you're like james harden, who looks fantastic until teams start taking away the easy ones.
abeer3

Postby therealdeal on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:29 am

Defending James Harden: play up on his three, stay down on pump fakes, don't let him go to his left hand, when the help comes you collapse to their man.

Done.

Paul George is a unique talent and I think he has a chance to really make a mark in this league. I hope he continues developing.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:25 pm

i'm not sure defending harden is that simple, but yes, he can be stopped. and it's his inability to create and convert in the "low efficiency" areas that helps do him in against the good teams.

George needs to tighten up his handle and master the pull up and turnaround from the elbow/mid-post. if he does, he becomes formidable. to his credit, I believe he's basically naming those things as his goals.
abeer3

Postby SK8 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:21 pm

People compare him to McGrady only because of his length, but i see a lot of Kobe in him, if he can develop nice mid and work on one on one game, he will be niceeee, and i expect him to go to work with Hakeem, or maybe even with Kobe, why not, he is looking up to him, Shaw is already telling him how Kobe is training, i can see it happening.
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby abeer3 on Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:03 am

i don't think he has the ball skills of tmac or kobe, but he's stronger than either. i'm having trouble coming up with a good analog for him...maybe go back to reggie lewis?
abeer3

Postby therealdeal on Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:21 am

abeer3 wrote:i'm not sure defending harden is that simple, but yes, he can be stopped. and it's his inability to create and convert in the "low efficiency" areas that helps do him in against the good teams.

It's a little simplified obviously, but just doing those things limits his point production considerably in the half court or Playoff basketball.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby nthydro on Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:20 pm

therealdeal wrote:
abeer3 wrote:i'm not sure defending harden is that simple, but yes, he can be stopped. and it's his inability to create and convert in the "low efficiency" areas that helps do him in against the good teams.

It's a little simplified obviously, but just doing those things limits his point production considerably in the half court or Playoff basketball.

The difficult part about defending Harden is his ability to draw fouls (flop). Not sure if he learned from Durant or vice versa. He's not particularly fast when he puts the ball on the floor but he's crafty enough to draw a lot of BS fouls.
nthydro

Postby therealdeal on Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:49 pm

nthydro wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

The difficult part about defending Harden is his ability to draw fouls (flop). Not sure if he learned from Durant or vice versa. He's not particularly fast when he puts the ball on the floor but he's crafty enough to draw a lot of BS fouls.

I understand, but that's why he's so limited in the playoffs when it's harder to get so many bulls*** calls.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:18 am

yeah, not to launch into a whole different topic, but "ability to draw fouls through craftiness" doesn't seem like a basketball skill to me...
abeer3

Postby therealdeal on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:24 am

abeer3 wrote:yeah, not to launch into a whole different topic, but "ability to draw fouls through craftiness" doesn't seem like a basketball skill to me...

It's not which is why they supposedly banned that "swing through" move even though Durant routinely gets that call still.

But I'm glad that Paul George isn't working towards that end...

(got it back on track)
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:22 pm

Uncle Drew wrote:People compare him to McGrady only because of his length, but i see a lot of Kobe in him, if he can develop nice mid and work on one on one game, he will be niceeee, and i expect him to go to work with Hakeem, or maybe even with Kobe, why not, he is looking up to him, Shaw is already telling him how Kobe is training, i can see it happening.

He's learning to make comparisons and to think like Kobe, all from the help of Shaw. Shaw told him how Kobe became so good, George took it to heart and listened how to better himself.

therealdeal wrote:
abeer3 wrote:yeah, not to launch into a whole different topic, but "ability to draw fouls through craftiness" doesn't seem like a basketball skill to me...

It's not which is why they supposedly banned that "swing through" move even though Durant routinely gets that call still.

But I'm glad that Paul George isn't working towards that end...

(got it back on track)

Now wouldn't it be funny if someone started shooting like that (doing the swing thru motion) to "beat the system" and get the shooting foul :man10:
charvin

Return to NBA Discussion