PHIL JACKSON With the Knicks by End of the Week? Pg. 3

PHIL JACKSON With the Knicks by End of the Week? Pg. 3

Postby Alleyhoops on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:28 pm

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... -1.1714166

This was reported on ESPN Radio this morning. The skinny is he's being offered a controlling position in the Knicks' front office -- one that many in here suggest he should assume with the Lakers.

Is it a coincidence that this hits the news a day after the Lakers suffer their worst loss in franchise history?

Does Jim Buss make a move?

This ship is taking water quickly...
Image
User avatar
Alleyhoops

 
Posts: 4294
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:08 pm
Location: Culver City California

Re: PHIL JACKSON Offered Front Office Position with KNICKS

Postby Weezy on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:33 pm

Like I said in the 'Antoni thread, I would bring him in now. Give him an important role, fire 'Antoni, let Rambis finish the season, start to bring credibility back to this franchise. It's win win for the franchise, we look like we've made a smart move bringing in another basketball mind, Jim makes it look like the reports about his huge ego and wanting to do it all his way are not true. Jim, Jeanie, Phil, and Mitch work together to bring us back. Yeah, that's too much, too good to happen, so it won't. :man10: Oh and no I don't think it's a coincidence that this gets out a day after we look like WE need the guy, Phil's putting it out there that he's still around.
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50866
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: PHIL JACKSON Offered Front Office Position with KNICKS

Postby Barnstable on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:34 pm

Please...please Jimmy PLEASE DO IT!!! :man6:
"league getting mitch-slapped"
User avatar
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 14306
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:01 pm
Location: Queens NY

Re: PHIL JACKSON Offered Front Office Position with KNICKS

Postby Weezy on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:38 pm

User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50866
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: PHIL JACKSON Offered Front Office Position with KNICKS

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:39 pm

That would put a big crimp in Phil's relationship with Jeanie you'd think if he goes to NY.
Last edited by LTLakerFan on Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
LTLakerFan

 
Posts: 6484
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: PHIL JACKSON Offered Front Office Position with KNICKS

Postby Barnstable on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:43 pm

If I was Phil, I think I'd still be pissed about the way Jim did him and I don't think I would consider coming back to the Lakers.

But Jim should still try.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
User avatar
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 14306
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:01 pm
Location: Queens NY

Re: PHIL JACKSON Offered Front Office Position with KNICKS

Postby 432J on Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:24 am

this is the perfect time to can dantoni

come on jim just do what's right for the team instead of not being able to swallow your pride
Image
User avatar
432J

 
Posts: 4784
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:54 pm
Location: Sherbrooke, Quebec

Re: PHIL JACKSON Offered Front Office Position with KNICKS

Postby TheOp on Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:01 am

There is no reason why Phil should be coaching this team right now.

If he wants to coach next season im all for it. The Knicks are garbage too so I dont see how that situation is any better. Im fine with having an interim coach the rest of this season and Phil taking over next season.
Image
TheOp

 
Posts: 2144
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:51 pm
Location: SoCAL

Re: PHIL JACKSON Offered Front Office Position with KNICKS

Postby karacha on Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:07 am

Bring him in for the FO position, let MDA finish tanking and see if Phil is willing to coach next season. If not, he can suggest a new coach and we can go from there.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
User avatar
karacha
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 37447
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: PHIL JACKSON Offered Front Office Position with KNICKS

Postby Barnstable on Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:25 am

karacha wrote:Bring him in for the FO position, let MDA finish tanking and see if Phil is willing to coach next season. If not, he can suggest a new coach and we can go from there.

this
"league getting mitch-slapped"
User avatar
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 14306
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:01 pm
Location: Queens NY

Re: PHIL JACKSON Offered Front Office Position with KNICKS

Postby LakersN4 on Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:28 am

I think the "short period of time" that he's willing to coach for refers to the remainder of this season, with him helping put a coach in place & moving upstairs next season. Despite the fact that it would kill our draft position I would go for it. I'm tired of seeing this team lose. The 10th pick was good enough for us to get a franchise C that we later traded for Dwight. We don't need to finish in the top 3 nearly as much as we need to show the stars around the league that the winning culture of the Lakers still exists. With the exception of OKC, you don't build championship teams through the draft.
LakersN4

 
Posts: 2514
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:55 am

Re: PHIL JACKSON Offered Front Office Position with KNICKS

Postby karacha on Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:53 am

It probably would not kill our draft position at all. We'll keep losing this season and there aren't that many games left in the first place. Phil would just give them the green light to do whatever they want to do. No, we'll continue tankig for the remaunder of the season.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
User avatar
karacha
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 37447
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: PHIL JACKSON Offered Front Office Position with KNICKS

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:39 am

LOL at thinking Phil would want to coach last 20 games of a season with any team with his mensa required offense. The Tri to him is his "precious" as Sky used to call it, just like run and gun no D small ball is Stupid's wet dream.
LTLakerFan

 
Posts: 6484
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: PHIL JACKSON Offered Front Office Position with KNICKS

Postby Rooscooter on Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:14 pm

Phil is one of, if not the, greatest coaches of all time. That in no way qualifies him to be making personnel decisions IMHO. My biggest fear is that we'd return to the Triangle and "puppet" coaches. The Triangle has only worked at this level with MJ/Pippen..... Kobe/Shaq and Kobe/Pau. All other attempt in using the offense have failed..... even led by Phil himself. The personnel needed for his version of the Triangle is not really what I hope we do going forward.

Finally, Phil as a coach.... tossing around his classic zingers is one thing..... as the President of B Ball operations is quite another.

I say lets move into the new era with a clean break.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 23076
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: PHIL JACKSON Offered Front Office Position with KNICKS

Postby juninho on Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:32 pm

I don't think neither mitch or jim wants to give him a fo power. He can be just a consultant.
User avatar
juninho

 
Posts: 771
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:04 am

Re: PHIL JACKSON Offered Front Office Position with KNICKS

Postby sister golden hair on Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Rooscooter wrote:Phil is one of, if not the, greatest coaches of all time. That in no way qualifies him to be making personnel decisions IMHO. My biggest fear is that we'd return to the Triangle and "puppet" coaches. The Triangle has only worked at this level with MJ/Pippen..... Kobe/Shaq and Kobe/Pau. All other attempt in using the offense have failed..... even led by Phil himself. The personnel needed for his version of the Triangle is not really what I hope we do going forward.

Finally, Phil as a coach.... tossing around his classic zingers is one thing..... as the President of B Ball operations is quite another.

I say lets move into the new era with a clean break.


So, let me get this straight: PJ is perhaps the greatest coach of all time. A former player who also won rings as a member of the Knicks. He has been mentored by some of the greatest coaches of all time (Red Holtzman; Tex Winter). Nevertheless, that in no way qualifies him to be a personnel shot-caller (even though there's no reason to assume he wouldn't delegate those kinds of calls to someone who special expertise was in evaluating players). THus, he shouldn't even be given a call to see what his plan moving forward would be. Or how he would structure the scouting and player development department because, well, there are n guarantees that he would work out. Okay.

Jim Buss, on the other hand, has screwed up virtually every adult vocational endeavor he has been involved in, has purged the organization of all traces of the the coach who won five rings and seven trips to the finals in recent memory, has proclaimed that scouting players is akin to scouting the race-horses and that any guy off the street could probably make selections as good as experienced scouts, and has hired Rudy. T, Mike Brown and MDA as coaches. But HE'S qualified to call shots on personnel and coaches for the premier legacy franchise in the league?

Whew, thanks for clearing that up. Makes perfect sense now.
sister golden hair

 
Posts: 723
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:51 pm

Re: PHIL JACKSON Offered Front Office Position with KNICKS

Postby Rooscooter on Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:25 pm

sister golden hair wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:Phil is one of, if not the, greatest coaches of all time. That in no way qualifies him to be making personnel decisions IMHO. My biggest fear is that we'd return to the Triangle and "puppet" coaches. The Triangle has only worked at this level with MJ/Pippen..... Kobe/Shaq and Kobe/Pau. All other attempt in using the offense have failed..... even led by Phil himself. The personnel needed for his version of the Triangle is not really what I hope we do going forward.

Finally, Phil as a coach.... tossing around his classic zingers is one thing..... as the President of B Ball operations is quite another.

I say lets move into the new era with a clean break.


So, let me get this straight: PJ is perhaps the greatest coach of all time. A former player who also won rings as a member of the Knicks. He has been mentored by some of the greatest coaches of all time (Red Holtzman; Tex Winter). Nevertheless, that in no way qualifies him to be a personnel shot-caller (even though there's no reason to assume he wouldn't delegate those kinds of calls to someone who special expertise was in evaluating players). THus, he shouldn't even be given a call to see what his plan moving forward would be. Or how he would structure the scouting and player development department because, well, there are n guarantees that he would work out. Okay.

Jim Buss, on the other hand, has screwed up virtually every adult vocational endeavor he has been involved in, has purged the organization of all traces of the the coach who won five rings and seven trips to the finals in recent memory, has proclaimed that scouting players is akin to scouting the race-horses and that any guy off the street could probably make selections as good as experienced scouts, and has hired Rudy. T, Mike Brown and MDA as coaches. But HE'S qualified to call shots on personnel and coaches for the premier legacy franchise in the league?

Whew, thanks for clearing that up. Makes perfect sense now.


Good..... Glad I could clear that up for ya.....

Keep in mind that Jim is the owner...... Like it or not his dad, who I'm sure you liked, made that choice. The ones that think he's going to just jump out of the way for Phil are the ones not seeing things that clearly IMO.

As for qualifications..... How was the greatest PG ever as a coach? How about the greatest player ever as a GM and owner.? How did Isaih do as a GM.... He was a lot better player than Phil.

Making Phil a figure head doesn't change anything...... Giving power just isn't going to happen IMO. Let's say for a minute we gave a 70+ year old the reigns. Who would he delicate to? What system would he influence? He only knows one system. That system has had no success without stacked teams led by the greatest players of all time. So.... A few years of getting 6'-5" veteran wing players and drafting guys like Sean May and Brian Cook and then he retires and we're where? ...... Right here again. It's what the Knicks do...... Let them do it and let us make a clean break is my thought. To that end I think we need some young blood in the front office and I'd not renew Mitch either. His thinking seems to be pre-new CBA. This is going to be a long road back IMO.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 23076
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: PHIL JACKSON Offered Front Office Position with KNICKS

Postby lakersfever on Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:10 pm

Jim Buss should be on his knees, beg, and offer 15M per year to Phil Jackson to come back as head coach. :man10:

Aren't Jim Buss and Phil Jackson brothers-in-law? Where's the love y'all?
User avatar
lakersfever

 
Posts: 349
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:38 am
Location: OC

Re: PHIL JACKSON Offered Front Office Position with KNICKS

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:19 pm

lakersfever wrote:Jim Buss should be on his knees, beg, and offer 15M per year to Phil Jackson to come back as head coach. :man10:

Aren't Jim Buss and Phil Jackson brothers-in-law? Where's the love y'all?


That ship sailed. MDA was already hired over Phil and Phil was let know on a Sunday at midnight when his agent was flying in on a red eye from New York.

Beyond that, coaching again never seemed to be what Phil was really after. He wants to run the show as a Vice President.

Jim could offer that and it would be a pretty obvious move that would placate the fan base, instill some good feelings with TWC, and attract FA's for the future.

The problem is, like Roo, I don't think that's going to happen. Unlike Roo, I actually do want it to happen.
I think it could help immensely.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15212
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: PHIL JACKSON Offered Front Office Position with KNICKS

Postby bigdog2013 on Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:37 pm

I hope phil gets the job in NY. I think he been eyeing it for a long time.
bigdog2013

 
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:51 am

Re: PHIL JACKSON Offered Front Office Position with KNICKS

Postby Snakell Beast on Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:39 pm

The front office should do the following:

1. Fire Antoni.

2. Replace Jim Buss, as VP of basketball operations, with Phil Jackson.

3. Install Phil as interim head coach, and let him groom Kurt Rambis to take the reigns next season. Kurt shouldn't be judged by wins and losses in Minny, especially since I thought he did a decent job with no talent. We can always hire a new coach if Kurt doesn't work out.

Installing Phil as head basketball player/personnel decision maker instantly boosts LA back into the elite recruiting organizations in the league. Players won't necessarily want to come simply because of Phil, since he won't be coaching, but the added prestige of Phil having intimate involvement in coaching and mentoring players (even in a small time capacity as VP) is the cherry on top of the winning-est franchise (rings and wins combined) in the largest market, with great weather/scenery and the glitz/glamor/luxury that LA already affords.

There are just too many reasons for players to come to the Lakers even in the state they are in now, let alone if we start making the right decisions and can offer a mind and a presence that no other organization can offer.

Pat Riley is best known for coaching, but look at how persuasive he was in bringing together the current champs, even though he wasn't going to be coaching...people will come simply to be taught by, and in the immediate vicinity of, the GREAT Phil Jackson.

We don't necessarily have to run the triangle, but a commitment to post play and defense, as well as some much needed buzz and anticipation, is JUST what the doctor ordered for the Lakers right now.
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
User avatar
Snakell Beast

 
Posts: 2061
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 8:54 pm
Location: Ithaca, NY

Re: PHIL JACKSON Offered Front Office Position with KNICKS

Postby Rooscooter on Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:52 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
lakersfever wrote:Jim Buss should be on his knees, beg, and offer 15M per year to Phil Jackson to come back as head coach. :man10:

Aren't Jim Buss and Phil Jackson brothers-in-law? Where's the love y'all?


That ship sailed. MDA was already hired over Phil and Phil was let know on a Sunday at midnight when his agent was flying in on a red eye from New York.

Beyond that, coaching again never seemed to be what Phil was really after. He wants to run the show as a Vice President.

Jim could offer that and it would be a pretty obvious move that would placate the fan base, instill some good feelings with TWC, and attract FA's for the future.

The problem is, like Roo, I don't think that's going to happen. Unlike Roo, I actually do want it to happen.
I think it could help immensely.


Sell me on it..... It helps appearances is about all I can see. No players are going to line up to come here because of a 70 year old figure head who may be here for a few years at best IMO. Keep in mind his health isn't the greatest either. Phil was a fantastic coach, but expecting his mere presence to undo years of not drafting or developing just seems reactionary. Remember he is also the primary reason we didn't develop a lot of players as he has always favored 10 year vets to rookies. If we were a stacked team on the verge then I'd be for it but nothing in his resume says he's a rebuilding from scratch over 3 to 5 year guy.

I'd rather start completely over and look for a new GM and young and vibrant coach. Hornaceck and Jackson types....... Not retreading Rambis or Shaw or Scott.....
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 23076
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: PHIL JACKSON Offered Front Office Position with KNICKS

Postby D.B. Cooper on Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:56 pm

I don't see uncle Phillip working for Dolan.
Image
User avatar
D.B. Cooper

 
Posts: 6851
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:03 pm
Location: C.L

Re: PHIL JACKSON Offered Front Office Position with KNICKS

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:07 pm

Retweeted by Arash Markazi
NBA on ESPN ‏@ESPNNBA 15m
Phil Jackson is leaning toward becoming the Knicks president of basketball operations, a source tells @stephenasmith. http://es.pn/O7k7dF
View summary
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19446
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: PHIL JACKSON Offered Front Office Position with KNICKS

Postby unpossibl1 on Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:19 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Retweeted by Arash Markazi
NBA on ESPN ‏@ESPNNBA 15m
Phil Jackson is leaning toward becoming the Knicks president of basketball operations, a source tells @stephenasmith. http://es.pn/O7k7dF
View summary


If this goes down it will make the Lakers look even worse. How is Phil not at least one of the decision makers for the Lakers yet? He should have been picked over D'Antoni to be the Lakers coach (and Dwight likely wouldn't have left if he was) and he definitely should be part of the front office.
User avatar
unpossibl1

 
Posts: 3318
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:54 pm

Next

Return to NBA Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 12 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.