Pippen will need surgery and will postpone the retirement

Pippen will need surgery and will postpone the retirement

Postby JSM on Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:07 pm

Scottie Pippen has decided to postpone retiring and have surgery instead.
Sportsline: Hold off on those retirement gifts for Scottie Pippen.

The Chicago Bulls forward will have surgery on his left knee Friday with the intention of playing again. There's no timetable for his return, but the forward was back less than a month after having a similar procedure last spring.

"Our intention is to see if we can get him healthy to come back and play," Bulls general manager John Paxson said Thursday after the team's practice. "This is a step-by-step process, and that's how I'm looking at it. I'm not looking at it in a negative way or in a panicked way at all."

The frustration of not being able to play is clearly getting to Pippen, who raised the possibility of retirement Wednesday when asked when he might return.

"I question myself whether or not I can play another year. Or this year," he said Wednesday. "I just have to wait and see."

But Paxson said Thursday that he and Pippen have talked often, and retirement has never come up. Pippen wasn't available for comment Thursday.

"That kind of came out of the blue," said Paxson, a teammate of Pippen's on the Bulls' first three-peat. "When you're a competitive athlete like Scottie is, there's probably a number of emotions that have gone through his mind. I think it stems from the fact he does want to be out on the floor.

"We've talked enough that I know he wants to play," Paxson added. "He thinks he can help us. I know he can help us. I'm very confident he wants to play again."

"I still think in the role we envisioned him -- playing that 20 minutes a game, 25 minutes -- that's still something I think is attainable unless you go in and there's something severely wrong with (the knee)," Paxson said. "But we're not anticipating that."
Last edited by JSM on Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby FabFourLakers on Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:28 pm

i think he should retire

bulls dont need him and he hasnt contributed to the team like they thot he would..

Call it quits Pip!
FabFourLakers

Postby Kobe834 on Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:16 pm

ooohhhhhhhh, that was harsh FabFour. Give him some slack, he's like 39, but then look at Karl Malone..... but still...yea nevermind, he should retire.
Kobe834

Postby crucifido on Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:45 pm

Pippen was, is and always will be nothing without Jordan.

Granted his defense is (at the most) slightly above average, but beyond that he has proven with other teams (including the Bulls when Michael played baseball) that he is little more than a decent ball handler in the front court with no leadership skills or ability to make others around him better.

Him getting voted into the 50 best players of all time (instead of many other worthy players, Bob McAdoo for instance) was one of the biggest crocks in recent basketball history. His erratic shooting and over emotional play in key and normal game situations has done nothing but prove that he was never more than an average player who had good timing (in regards to being on the Bulls when Jordan hit).

I hope he retires and takes his bad attitude, pension for throwing 3 year old-esque tantrums, over-hyped play, inconsistent shooting and overblown legacy with him.
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Bulls Fan on Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:57 pm

lol aww he wasnt that bad. You have to remember when Jordan wasnt there, the Bulls did go 55-27 the next season with pippen leading the team. He learned a lot from Mike. But yeah he should retire. ahh well..it was nice to see him in a Bulls uniform again though...
The ONLY Bulls Fan
Bulls Fan
Clublakers Rep: Bulls

Postby JSM on Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:21 pm

well it looks like he has decided to try and keep playing. I edited my original post and it is now updated. He will have surgery instead of calling it quits.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:40 pm

damn retire pip! hah jk after he came back from a knee surgery in portland he REALLY guided Portland to that STRONG finish last season...he should do that with chicago this season too..
FabFourLakers

Return to NBA Discussion