The Dallas Mavericks acquired 2 players from the Boston Celtics:
Antoine Walker
Tony Delk

The Boston Celtics in turn got 3 players from the Dallas Mavericks:
Raef LeFrentz
Jiri Welsh
Chris Mills

http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mymod/hdln/nba/s ... &type=lgns

The big victor in this, has to be Dallas. They lost a guard in Nick and got it back in Delk to back up Nash. Now they also have another bruising low post presence who can also go outside in Antoine Walker. They also got rid of the huge contracts of LeFrentz and Chris Mills. I think Dallas got the upper hand on this one....and that trade that got them LeFrentz and Van Exel from Denver a couple years back now got then 2 PFs in a Western Conference loaded with them. Good move.

Your thoughts?
Last edited by Vasashi17 on Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:12 am

Wow... :man4:
Lakers Dynasty 2000

DA's been smoking

Postby nosebleedbum on Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:44 am

Hey ainge, are you Mad??? Trading 2 pretty damn good players for two average guys...Was Red behind this. The formula for success- must have 3 white shadows in the starting lineup (bird mchale ainge)

Starting lineup
C-Raefer (12 ppg)
SG-Welsch (sounds irish to me) (1.5 ppg)
Pg- Rusty Larue (4.1 ppg)
PF- Vinny the Booze (0-10 ppg)
SF- Pierce (40 ppg)

Should make a potent lineup. Celts fans should love the new high school girls offense.

Danny, if you were rebuilding or getting rid of contracts, you should have asked for Steve Nash, that would make sense or make them take vin Baker. Giving up Delk is a huge mistake. Lafrentz and Welsch aren't going to help. By the end of the year Pierce will want to be traded. Hmm, who's in the lottery next year?
nosebleedbum

Postby o0O kb8 O0o on Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:10 am

damn mavs r guna be good....damn...what wud their starting lineup look like..hoo wud u guys start?
o0O kb8 O0o

Postby SWOL on Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:50 am

too many chiefs not enough indians = alot of unhappy SOB'S
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby Brandon on Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:57 am

This is really MrCaramale, I just didnt feel like Logging on. Dallas is still gonna be roadkill for us. Loko at who they have playing Center now. Bradley, Fortson and Dirk. Do you think any of them can stop shaq? Walker was a decent PF in the east, he is Jamison with 3 point range and bad shot selection. Bad move in my opinion for Dallas
Brandon

Postby o0O kb8 O0o on Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:25 am

u guys think dallas will be the next blazers?
o0O kb8 O0o

Postby Shaq Fan on Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:05 am

Will there starters look like this:?

Dirk
Walker
Jamison
Finley
Nash

How can Dirk stay with west coast centers? And who would you put on da bench if this is not the line-up?

props to hoopskillz, OTK, Eyecue and DA.....
Shaq Fan

Postby JSM on Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:14 pm

the Mavs are going to be stacked this year, now what they do with the talent they have is up to them, but on paper they are a really good team.

They could either be this years version of the Blazers, who have been known to waste talented players better than anyone else, or they could actually pull together and be a team that plays together and wins some games, and play us in the WCF's this year......which do yall think will be more likely?

And how does this change the ranking in the west, out of the teams that made major changes, who's done the best?

I think it's

Lakers
Mavs
Spurs
T-Wolves
Kings
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby BDG on Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:31 pm

Dallas may have gotten scary to yall, but trust me they gained nothing. Walker is a fat overrated player and they lost their center in Raef. Meanwhile they lost depth at SG.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:18 pm

BryantDunkGiant wrote:Dallas may have gotten scary to yall, but trust me they gained nothing. Walker is a fat overrated player and they lost their center in Raef. Meanwhile they lost depth at SG.

How did they lose anything? They traded an overrated and overpaid and USELESS center in raef lafrentz, and a washed up chris mills with a big contract...the only POTENTIALLY good player tha celtics got was jiri welsch.

HOW STUPID CAN THE CELTICS BE?! Walker may have bad shot selection and be overrated...but NEVER trade an overrated player who is ur #2 option on offense for an overrated and overpaid player who does absolutely nothing at his position?

actually...the only advantage for Raef Lafrentz now is that he is in the eastern conference where there arent many good centers...so OK thats tha only good thing for boston...but WOW dallas has pulled out all tha cards this year...i remember around july-august time they were doing nothing...and ppl were wondering why? I guess dallas has to make trades every year to get better...but now who is gonna get shots? Before it was finley nash and nowitzki...now they bring in not one but TWO 20+ scorers who NEED to score to be effective...wow opening night dallas vs los angeles is gonna be must see tv as Cuban put it...Dallas is STACKED but good luck to Dirk playing against the powers of the west...and i think if they'll have trouble figuring out their lineup when they need a defensive stop...
FabFourLakers

Postby SWOL on Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:23 pm

ill take Raef over Twoine every day of he week, Twoine is the most overrated player in the history of organized sports, he is a headcase and i would never want him in a Laker uniform, the prize is all your Dallas,

Cuban you are a great owner, but you dont know crap about basketball, you should leave basketball decions to basketball people :man7:
SWOL

Postby SWOL on Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:24 pm

Raef will average about 16 and 10 and be an east All-Star
SWOL

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:27 pm

this trade is good for Raef...gives him a chance to possibly become tha #2 optionn on offense and realy contribute much like he did in denver.....all i know is pierce is going to be FURIOUS about this trade...or maybe he might accept it and really carry the load much like Mcgrady does in Orlando...i guess its safe to say Boston belongs to Pierce now....but they go from almost goin to tha finals, to gettin eliminated in tha 2nd round next year(not to mention finishing 3 spots below tha previous year in tha playoffs), and now they might be headed for tha lotto if Pierce wants out?
FabFourLakers

Postby SWOL on Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:35 pm

PIERCE DOSENT LIKE TWOINE, THAT IS A MISCONCEPTION, HOW COULD HE LIKE A FAT A$$ BALL HOG, AND EARLIER THIS OFFSEASON HE DIDNT GIVE A VERY STRONG ENDORSEMENT TO KEEP TWOINE, WHEN THE HEAVEY TRADE RUMORS WHERE RUNNING RAMPAD
SWOL

Postby Roscoe on Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:41 pm

This was a stupidass deal, the Mavs shoulda just kept Nick Van Exel. Antawn Jamison and Antoine Walker are basically the same type of player. Or they shoulda traded Raef+extras for Theo Ratliff, at least then they would have some type of defense.

"Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere." - Martin Luther King Jr.
Roscoe
ClubLakers O.G.

Postby shaqpak34 on Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:02 pm

that trade was pointless, mavs got a playa who gonan play really bad D and chuck up wild threes cus there aint no fours.

this is gonna actualy kill the mavs cus now instead of improvin their D, they got a ball hog, something which they have in abundance

lineup should be something like this

nash
finley
jamison
twoine
dirk

but i doubt it cus then big centers like shaq will have field days agianst them cus dirk aint gonna be able to guard em. i have feeling twoine might have to come of the bench, at least thats what i would do cus this way htey have no legitimate center in their line up

and btw, the mavs are NOT gonna be top 3 in the west unless they have a 60 percent field goal percentage..if everyone on that team catches fire, they will be near impossible to stop, but if they got a bad day, since they got no D, they would get killed.
shaqpak34

Postby Roscoe on Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:07 pm

My high school basketball team will be able score at least 100 points against the Mavs

"Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere." - Martin Luther King Jr.
Roscoe
ClubLakers O.G.

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:10 pm

Roscoe wrote:My high school basketball team will be able score at least 100 points against the Mavs

yea lil bit too much exaggeration there...

i actually forgot that Pierce and Lafrentz were Kansas teammates...so i guess swolswol is right...Pierce couldnt give a rats @$$ where Toine is...but now Pierce will hafta carry the load on offense...he has nobody..unless Lafrentz FINALLY steps up
FabFourLakers

Postby Seawell on Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:20 pm

The Mavs just don't get it, you cannot win a championship without playing defense. They might be fun to watch but they won't be in the NBA Finals.
Seawell

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:27 pm

I think Finley and/or Nash might be on their way out...they are not makin these trades for nothing...theres GOT to be a nother trade coming...i think Finley might be the odd man out...hes the oldest out of those 5 players(nash nowitzki walker and jamison)...

If you think about it..the mavs are gonna give the lakers match up problems...we'll have shaq guarding Nowtzki...and shaq doesnt like guarding on tha perimeter...but vica versa we'll be gettin Dirk in foul trouble early...so im not worried...
FabFourLakers

Postby rydjorker121 on Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:56 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:I think Finley and/or Nash might be on their way out...they are not makin these trades for nothing...theres GOT to be a nother trade coming...i think Finley might be the odd man out...hes the oldest out of those 5 players(nash nowitzki walker and jamison)...

If you think about it..the mavs are gonna give the lakers match up problems...we'll have shaq guarding Nowtzki...and shaq doesnt like guarding on tha perimeter...but vica versa we'll be gettin Dirk in foul trouble early...so im not worried...

nah...I wouldn't bet on that....I think the Cubester is gonna pursue another prized quality big man...someone like Jamaal Magloire. But not Finley, so the Mavs would just have to play the waiting game for another season and use Dirk "Soft-Bags" Nowitzki this year.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby rydjorker121 on Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:57 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:I think Finley and/or Nash might be on their way out...they are not makin these trades for nothing...theres GOT to be a nother trade coming...i think Finley might be the odd man out...hes the oldest out of those 5 players(nash nowitzki walker and jamison)...

nah...I wouldn't bet on that....I think the Cubester is gonna pursue another prized quality big man...someone like Jamaal Magloire. But not Finley, so the Mavs would just have to play the waiting game for another season and use Dirk "Soft-Bags" Nowitzki this year.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby 4Rings on Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:34 pm

Yeah, the Mavs now have more shooters than they know what to do with but they still lack a defensive presence. What are they going to do when those shots aren't falling? Antoine Walker isn't exactly the most proficient shooter in the NBA. He is three point happy to a fault. I don't know if this is gonna work. Jamison and Walker play the same position. Finley is a top notch scorer, you know Dirk isn't gonna cut back on his shots, Nash is going to want to shoot, so is Delk. But they have no defensive stoppers. Who is going to stop the Kobes, Bibbys, McGradys, Marions, Marburys from running straight to the hoop? Who is going to stop GP from going coast to coast when the Lakers are on a fast break? Dallas should have looked for a guy who can give them 10 points and 10 boards but who can also play some defense. Offense wins you games, but DEFENSE wins championships.
If we are all thinking alike, then nobody is thinking!
4Rings

Postby strikemode15 on Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:28 am

this is going to be funny we are going to abuse dallas now......there big men are now Bradley and walker...can we say field day in the paint....heck at least lafrentz was 7'0 and can play pf and c...heck walker has no inside precense and unless he gets alot of shots which he won't he is not effecetive which he won't be.....however boston now has a Center and since lafrentz is in the east he should be able to do well boston got the upper hand in the trade
strikemode15

Return to NBA Discussion