Players and their tattoos

Players and their tattoos

Postby mo' betta blue on Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:43 pm

As a Lakers and NBA fan for the last 16 years, I've noticed a few changes in players. One change I've noticed is the popularity of tattoos on players these days. I used to collect basketball cards back in the late 80's/early 90's and I can remember that very few NBA players had tattoos. Now, almost every player has multiple tattoos. Very rare to see a player without a single tattoo on their arm, leg, or neck.
IMO, it was Dennis Rodman, during his Madonna years, who made it "cool" to have multiple tattoos. It inspired other players to get their own. He also inspired crazy hairstyles. See Scott Pollard as an example. It's halloween for every game for Pollard. Are there any current players who doesnt have a single tattoo? Just wondering.

Mike Bibby,Cherokee Parks, Scott Pollard- belongs on my All Nasty Tattoos team. They have crazy tattoos. Almost like graffiti art.
mo' betta blue

Postby mo' betta blue on Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:54 pm

Another related story from the 11/16 LA times sports section written by Tim Brown page D7. It's a funny story about Luke's tattoos.

"O'neal passed rookie Luke Walton on the practice court last week, pressed a forefinger into Walton's right shoulder and said, "That's the worst tattoo I've ever seen." :scream:

"Aw, c'mon," Walton mustered in defense. :man3:

Luke's tattoos are "four skeleton figures representing the four Walton boys. It has orange balls that spin on the fingers represent their love of basketball and whole image is a tie dyed like ode to the Grateful Dead, father Bill's preferred band"

O'neal laughed. "Naw, it's cool," he said.

I thought it was a funny story. It's tough being a rookie. :man10:
mo' betta blue

Postby LakerFanFor16Years on Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:57 am

Man I wish Kobe never got those tattoos. I liked it when his arms were clean. It just doesnt match him.
LakerFanFor16Years

Postby mo' betta blue on Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:13 am

Hey LakerFanfor16Years. Love the Bush and Saddam avatar. :mhihi: Kobe shouldnt have gotten those tattoos since he has a clean cut image. Add Doug Christie to my All Nasty Tattoos team. Tattoos are cool if you dont go overboard. Some of the tattoos look like doodle drawings.
A bad tattoo for an non-NBA player is "Ear Biter" Mike Tyson. He has a tattoo of Communist Chinese leader Mao Tse-Tung. I think it was Chairman Mao if I'm not mistaken. Anyways, Mao was an autocrat who liquidated hundreds of thousands of his own people because they were enemies of the state.

:patriot:
mo' betta blue

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:38 am

But it was the media that portayed Kobe as a cleat cut image. I'm glad Kobe got the tats cuz they mean a lot to him. They are symbolic. Most people get tats because it means something to them. I dont c anything wrong with that. But if they get some stupid design that they just got cuz it looked good, then I dont like that.
LakersGyrl2003

Postby LakerFanFor16Years on Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:24 pm

mo' betta blue wrote:Hey LakerFanfor16Years. Love the Bush and Saddam avatar. :mhihi: Kobe shouldnt have gotten those tattoos since he has a clean cut image. Add Doug Christie to my All Nasty Tattoos team. Tattoos are cool if you dont go overboard. Some of the tattoos look like doodle drawings.
A bad tattoo for an non-NBA player is "Ear Biter" Mike Tyson. He has a tattoo of Communist Chinese leader Mao Tse-Tung. I think it was Chairman Mao if I'm not mistaken. Anyways, Mao was an autocrat who liquidated hundreds of thousands of his own people because they were enemies of the state.

Thanks man. Hey I have to agree with u 100% with Tyson's tattoo. I think its the ugliest thing iv'e ever seen.
LakerFanFor16Years

Postby fcb2001 on Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:57 pm

actually Chairman Mao killed anywhere from 100 - 120 millions of his own people
40 million from 1949-1958 - mostly enemies of the state
60 million starved to death from the Great Leap Forward from 1958 - 1962
20 million during the Cultural Revolution

mo' betta blue wrote:Hey LakerFanfor16Years. Love the Bush and Saddam avatar. :mhihi: Kobe shouldnt have gotten those tattoos since he has a clean cut image. Add Doug Christie to my All Nasty Tattoos team. Tattoos are cool if you dont go overboard. Some of the tattoos look like doodle drawings.

fcb2001

Postby mo' betta blue on Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:24 am

Thanks for the correction and clarification, fcb2001. Very few people are aware of these factual figures or who is Mao. It will shock a lot of people. Human life seemed to be very cheap in some countries. Most people are aware of dictators like Stalin, Hitler,and Pol Pot. Very few are aware of Mao. I learned of Mao when I watched a KCET program about Mao and his Revolution. Sorry for the discussion about politics and history. The point is that Tyson's Mao tattoo is "inappropriate".

mo' betta blue

Postby fcb2001 on Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:38 pm

actually the figures could be higher for Mao then what i gave, one source said that as many as 83 million died during the Great Leap Forward, this source was a former party secretary under Hu Yaobang, Hu Yaobang actually denounced Mao as a mass murderer in 1981, tradegically Hu Yaobang died of a Heart Attack on April 15th 1989, there was 2 million people in tianamen square when Hu died, and 10 million lined the funeral prosection route, Hu Yaobang actually agreed with Gorbachev's ideas,

mo' betta blue wrote:Thanks for the correction and clarification, fcb2001. Very few people are aware of these factual figures or who is Mao. It will shock a lot of people. Human life seemed to be very cheap in some countries. Most people are aware of dictators like Stalin, Hitler,and Pol Pot. Very few are aware of Mao. I learned of Mao when I watched a KCET program about Mao and his Revolution. Sorry for the discussion about politics and history. The point is that Tyson's Mao tattoo is "inappropriate".

fcb2001

Return to NBA Discussion