Playoffs 2013 - One of the worst in NBA history?

Re: Playoffs 2013 - One of the worst in NBA history?

Postby Forward Three on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:23 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:
Lqv2015 wrote:I'm rooting for the Clipps or OKC all the way. The hell with the Heat. But yeah, one of the worst PO season in my book.

if the Heat played the Clips, i would actually root for Miami

it's like that for me

You almost want that matchup just on the off-chance(read: extremely unlikely) that the absurd amount of flopping at the biggest stage ruins both team's reputations as well as finally forces the league into doing something about it. But, it's not like Miami didn't flop their way to a title last season either.
Forward Three

Postby pound4pound1 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:03 pm

Forward Three wrote:
pound4pound1 wrote:
Lqv2015 wrote:I'm rooting for the Clipps or OKC all the way. The hell with the Heat. But yeah, one of the worst PO season in my book.

if the Heat played the Clips, i would actually root for Miami

it's like that for me

You almost want that matchup just on the off-chance(read: extremely unlikely) that the absurd amount of flopping at the biggest stage ruins both team's reputations as well as finally forces the league into doing something about it. But, it's not like Miami didn't flop their way to a title last season either.

it would give the NBA the perfect chance to enforce their new anti-flopping rules

game 7: Lebron, Bosh, CP3, Blake all suspended because of flopping penalties accrued
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:53 am

Bad start ... only the Denver - GS is entertaining ...

Pb is the average teams remain very average , they haven't step their level of play up for one bit so far ... Game 1 ( and 2 for some) performances from Loston, Bucks , Lakers and Rockets have been pathetic ...

I know it will never be done but the league really needs to study and fix the Leastern Conf issue ... the level of play is going worse and worse every season
wcsoldier81

Postby ramsay13 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:34 pm

Clips vs Mem has been very entertaining. ^^^
ramsay13

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:00 am

^^^^ Game 2 was good but everybody knows the Clipps will take the series ...

Home teams are 14-2 so far in these playoffs ... pathetic
wcsoldier81

Postby 432J on Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:40 am

2002 playoffs still the best in recent memory

the lakers-kings series is still the most exciting playoff series i've ever watched aside from the 2010 finals. there was also the nets-celtics series in the ECF which was another great, down to the wire matchup. you definitely don't see a series like that too often anymore
432J

Postby sharko on Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:47 pm

Reminds me of every year the Spurs win a title. Boring as hell and no one is watching. Wayyy too many star players out.
sharko

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:03 pm

sharko wrote:Reminds me of every year the Spurs win a title. Boring as hell and no one is watching. Wayyy too many star players out.

remember when it was Spurs vs Nets?

like 7 people watched outside of San Antonio and Jersey
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby 432J on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:53 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:
sharko wrote:Reminds me of every year the Spurs win a title. Boring as hell and no one is watching. Wayyy too many star players out.

remember when it was Spurs vs Nets?

like 7 people watched outside of San Antonio and Jersey

that was by far the most boring NBA finals i can remember during my lifetime

two of the most boring NBA teams playing eachother. pretty much any finals the spurs are in is guaranteed to be a snoozefest
432J

Postby havoc33 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:40 pm

I think it's safe to say that this is one of the worst Playoffs in recent memory. Not only is it not competetive (Miami has nooooo competition in the East), but the star players keep getting hurt. Now even Westbrook is out. People say the lockout seasons deserve an asterisk, but what about this? It's not even funny anymore.
havoc33

Postby Finwë on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:15 pm

These playoffs suck. No real threats against to Miami's title defense, a S***LOAD of injuries, ugh..
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Nashty Gal on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:19 pm

when lebron win's my hope is that nobody will be watching
The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Postby therealdeal on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:46 pm

A really, really boring playoffs.

So many stars injured... Just ridiculous if you think about it.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:11 am

that's the trend for 2 postseasons ... As Forward Three suggested on Page 1 , maybe it has something to do with the new style of play , too many games for an ultra athletic league ? These "new" PG are all going down too ..

I don't buy the luck factor argument , at least not entirely ... this pb needs to be closely monitored .

Does the league really want to maintain a 82 games season for dollars purposes but take the risk to have mediocre playoffs every season ? What about team "training staffs" , players physical preparation and hygiene ? Coaches running players into the ground ( hi MDA , hi Thibodau) ....

A lot to be discussed imo
wcsoldier81

Postby nthydro on Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:18 am

There's really only three Finals scenarios that would garner a lot of attention. Lakers vs Heat, Lakers vs Celtics, or Lakers vs Knicks. I'm not saying that because I'm a Lakers fan, but no other team in the West would make casual basketball fans tune in. Can you imagine how sad a Spurs vs Pacers series would be?
nthydro

Postby Scnottaken on Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:52 am

^I guess you could see athleticism as a sort of steak seasoning to a good steak. You ever try downing pure steak seasoning? I haven't but I'd imagine it'd leave a bad taste in your mouth. Damn, now I want steak.
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby Forward Three on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:07 am

Thunder vs. Heat would draw a lot of ratings because it is a rematch. I think Clippers vs. Anyone would also be fairly successful because the Clippers have always had a whiff of "The hipster LA team for people who think it is cool to hate the Lakers" and that extends to a lot of areas of the country, not to mention I think even Lakers fans would still find a way to be happy for Los Angeles Basketball in an esoteric sense.

But yeah, Lakers are the big ticket of the West and it is a shame that everything went wrong for them this season.

But maybe that is also a symptom of a problem with the league overall. Maybe there is too much consolidation at the top, teams are becoming too top heavy, certain franchises hold almost all of the selling power. Maybe that's inevitable, I don't know, but in conjunction with the long season, in conjunction with the changing style of play, maybe it's lead to a league that just seems to have significant gaps. I've mentioned it before, during the Heat's streak, but like, remember the Rocket's 22-game streak? that was exciting for anyone to watch because it was the effin Rockets. It came out of nowhere and you had this great sense of something really cool happening to a team that played as a team and stepped up in the face of injuries and whatever else and made it work. That's the type of storyline you love to see happen in any sports league. But then you have Miami's streak. Where it's three superstar players and a cast of marksmen shooters going up against a relatively weak league and it just sort of represented everything that's wrong with the league today. It was the type of streak you wanted to see snapped, because it symbolized "yes, make a superteam, because then you win a lot, losers" like watching them get away with cheating or something.

Or maybe my biases have just gone off the rails.
Forward Three

Postby Iceberg Slim on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:59 am

I'm in the minority here. Big time. Despite the unfortunate injuries to the aforementioned names, I'm still enjoying these playoffs immensely. Storylines make the NBA and there is enough to go around...

1) Stephen Curry stepping into the bright lights is the best one.
2) Melo halfway struggling, halfway dominating his way to playoff respectability.
3) Kevin Durant balling on his own after crying about "tired of being 2nd".
4) The emergence of Paul George, even though that is a REALLY boring series, I admit.
5) Clippers/Grizz. Enough said.
6) Lebron James doing what he does.

I get it though. This is CL lol. If the Lakers aren't playing, basketball is much ado about nothing. But I'm watching intently to see what these stories materialize into.

Come June - Miami will see San Antonio. Lebron gets his shot at redemption from a 2005 sweep. Tim Duncan chases title #5. More importantly (in my opinion) we'll get to see sheer talent vs. elite level coaching. Pat Riley might have roll his sleeves and hit the bench.

Miami in 7...
www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Iceberg Slim

Postby pound4pound1 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:21 am

Iceberg Slim wrote:I'm in the minority here. Big time. Despite the unfortunate injuries to the aforementioned names, I'm still enjoying these playoffs immensely. Storylines make the NBA and there is enough to go around...

1) Stephen Curry stepping into the bright lights is the best one.
2) Melo halfway struggling, halfway dominating his way to playoff respectability.
3) Kevin Durant balling on his own after crying about "tired of being 2nd".
4) The emergence of Paul George, even though that is a REALLY boring series, I admit.
5) Clippers/Grizz. Enough said.
6) Lebron James doing what he does.

I get it though. This is CL lol. If the Lakers aren't playing, basketball is much ado about nothing. But I'm watching intently to see what these stories materialize into.

Come June - Miami will see San Antonio. Lebron gets his shot at redemption from a 2005 sweep. Tim Duncan chases title #5. More importantly (in my opinion) we'll get to see sheer talent vs. elite level coaching. Pat Riley might have roll his sleeves and hit the bench.

Miami in 7...

it's gotten so bad that i booked a vacation in June...something i've never done before...i have minimal interest in the rest of the playoffs...besides watching Steph Curry go nuts...that's about it
pound4pound1

Postby nameant on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:28 am

Iceberg Slim wrote:I get it though. This is CL lol. If the Lakers aren't playing, basketball is much ado about nothing.

Totally. Except this thread was made and this subject was brought up well before we were even eliminated.
nameant

Postby FabFourLakers on Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:32 pm

It sucks when star players like Rose, Rondo, Westbrook and Kobe are out for the rest of the playoffs because now, whoever wins, whether it be the SPurs, the Heat, etc, there will always be that "excuse" in the back of ppl's minds..."well what if rose was healthy?....what if WESTBROOK was healthy? what if KOBE was healthy? what if Rondo was playing?"....then that could change the whole scope of the playoffs. If i were a Heat fan, I would be equally upset that these players are going down...you don't wanna hear anybody making excuses at the end of the day when you WIN that championship. It reminded me of when KG was out for the 2009 playoffs...even though we won...i didn't feel like that 2009 championship meant anything until we beat the Celtics in the 2010 playoffs WITH KG...cuz imagine if we didn't beat Boston in 2010...then suddenly it becomes "the celtics would have 3-peated if KG was healthy in 2009"...i know it's stupid but you gotta think about these things...you think ppl in Chicago think the Heat would beat them if they had Rose? Heck no. That's why WHEN rose comes back next year, IF the Bulls end up beating the HEAT in the playoffs next year and go on to win it all next year, then suddenly it becomes the question of "well, maybe the Bulls would have beaten the Heat with Rose last year..."I know this all sounds so ridiculous, but this is the thought process of most fans of any team....or even some analysts.

I think the most significant injury is definitely WESTBROOK. Never would have thought he would go down at a time like this. Very unfortunate. But I am looking forward to seeing Durant play the way he has the rest of the playoffs....he's going to have to dominate if the Thunder have a chance of getting past the Clippers/Grizzlies or even the SPURS.
FabFourLakers

Postby davriver290 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:11 pm

Not to mention the transition from the "old stars" to the "new stars". I have respect for the likes of Durant/ Lebron and Rose... But the guys have no personality to complement their game. Why do I mean by this?

Look at Shaq... Dominant, arrogant, had a personality, showed it on the court, made it entertaining in many ways.

Same thing for Kobe Bryant. Allen Iverson, shooot, even Tracy Mcgrady.

Now, you have an emotionless and dull Kevin Durant who is a brilliant b ball player. A Lebron who tries so hard to be the "good guy" when he should embrace his "bad guy" role...

A Derrick Rose who is another amazing athlete... but not much else. What I'm trying to say is, these "new stars" and the ever changing rules of the NBA that is "softening up the game" is just making it that much more boring. Emotions aren't allowed to be expressed as much, everything is a technical, fights will get players tossed and suspended for many games.. I have a much better time watching an old crippling Rasheed Wallace and his antics then I do Durant draining amazing threes... (I have Kobe for that )
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby nthydro on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:20 pm

nameant wrote:
Iceberg Slim wrote:I get it though. This is CL lol. If the Lakers aren't playing, basketball is much ado about nothing.

Totally. Except this thread was made and this subject was brought up well before we were even eliminated.

The Lakers ARE the NBA :man1:

It's like taking the Yankees out of baseball
nthydro

Postby OX1947 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:35 pm

In all honesty, I think the 82 game season and 8 team conference playoff format has been played out. The NBA wants to continue it's international market. I thought of an idea that would never happen but should.

Cut the regular season games to 66 games. Being that there are 30 teams, you can play your division opponents 4 times, the other teams in the conference 3 times and the other conference 2 times. Then, kill half the teams in each conference for the playoffs. 4 on each side. This would cut the season from 6-8 months to 4-6 months. THEN, that allows less wear and tear for players to participate in international play. Use the rules Stern has for all star appearances. Top player have to go on the team unless there is a legitimate injury.

Fans would be less likely to get bored during the season, playoffs last a month and a half instead of 2 and a half months. Season is only 4 months instead of 6 months. I think you get a better game, better season and better product.
OX1947

Postby OX1947 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:38 pm

OX1947 wrote:In all honesty, I think the 82 game season and 8 team conference playoff format has been played out. The NBA wants to continue it's international market. I thought of an idea that would never happen but should.

Cut the regular season games to 66 games. Being that there are 30 teams, you can play your division opponents 4 times, the other teams in the conference 3 times and the other conference 2 times. Then, kill half the teams in each conference for the playoffs. 4 on each side. This would cut the season from 6-8 months to 4-6 months. THEN, that allows less wear and tear for players to participate in international play. Use the rules Stern has for all star appearances. Top player have to go on the team unless there is a legitimate injury. Pay is given to those guys who play in the international tourneys which would add value to the team for players. They could put it in the CBA to make it official NBA business.

Fans would be less likely to get bored during the season, playoffs last a month and a half instead of 2 and a half months. Season is only 4 months instead of 6 months. I think you get a better game, better season and better product.
OX1947

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion